Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, Voluminous Banality said:

So back and forth all week. He was Texas right until the moment he clicked "post" on his commitment video.

No, you don't shoot an Auburn commitment video if you're all Texas.  As soon as he chose to delay, he was all Auburn.   Good luck to the young baller. It's a hit today but Texas will be fine.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I don't have any issues with a kid going where they want, but I sincerely hope my children are strong enough to follow their own dreams and not be dominated by myself or my better half if we have a different opinion.  I can respect that even if I think it's wrong.

Except, according to Wells,  he isn’t going where he wants.

Damn his dad fucked him over

Then again how could we ever compete with this illustrious list of Auburn Safeties and Linebackers drafted in the last decade: 

Deshaun Davis (2019 6th round) 

Rudy Ford (2017 6th round) 

Corey Lemonier (2013 3rd round) 

Auburn was clearly the better choice for his development

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Same playbook as in basketball recruiting. Using the shoe companies but there is a great debate about whether Nike plays the game or not.

Washington’s a great recruiter and Naivar’s solid, but this has been a rough cycle for DB recruiting. Kimber, Rogers, Ringo (probably), Washington, Ransom, Thompson, Jones. 

Have to think that the depth chart is hurting us after 2 straight really great DB classes. It’s hard for me to get too worried about the secondary, especially when we’re still getting guys like Crawford and Jerrin Thompson. As long as we do well in 2021, our current depth chart plus a solid 2021 class will likely cover up for the misses this cycle. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Washington’s a great recruiter and Naivar’s solid, but this has been a rough cycle for DB recruiting. Kimber, Rogers, Ringo (probably), Washington, Ransom, Thompson, Jones. 

Have to think that the depth chart is hurting us after 2 straight really great DB classes. It’s hard for me to get too worried about the secondary, especially when we’re still getting guys like Crawford and Jerrin Thompson. As long as we do well in 2021, our current depth chart plus a solid 2021 class will likely cover up for the misses this cycle. 

2021 is already off to a great start with Bowman already committed

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think we end up with Eaton or Jahari ultimately. You're right - it's hard to be concerned about DBs the way our rooms are stacked right now. It's just unusual to whiff this much based on previous DB recruiting. That's the way of the road though.

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Except, according to Wells,  he isn’t going where he wants.

Exactly.  Unlike Thompson, I hope my children would choose their passion/dream even over my objection if necessary.  I don't mind them making mistakes (in my opinion at that time and of course I could be wrong) if they are always passionate and following their dreams because more often than not that kind of person has a pretty good shot to be happy in life even with failures and mistakes.  I basically hope they are independent and strong willed enough to follow their own mind and heart against all if necessary.

Just now, theaveragejon said:

Call me stupid, but how convinced are we that texas is where he really really wants to go, and the auburn pick is simply being a supplicant to his family/father. I understand there could be some merit to it. But for that to be tut sole reason and deciding factor seems slightly weak to me. 

Probably wasn't the sole reason. There were probably many thousands.

Damn that ending, literally the only person not excited about going to Auburn was Chris Jr.

What a year in recruiting, when Giles and Drayton are nailing their plan A offers, while Washington and Naivar are struggling with long time leans and having to go with the plan b's and c's.

Still a DB class of Crawford, Thompson, Eaton, and Alford is pretty damn good.

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

In-state DB board is a pretty brutal look right now... certainly not what we'd expected by August.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Call me stupid, but how convinced are we that texas is where he really really wants to go, and the auburn pick is simply being a supplicant to his family/father. I understand there could be some merit to it. But for that to be tut sole reason and deciding factor seems slightly weak to me. 

I’m pretty fucking sure. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Damn that ending, literally the only person not excited about going to Auburn was Chris Jr.

What a year in recruiting, when Giles and Drayton are nailing their plan A offers, while Washington and Naivar are struggling with long time leans and having to go with the plan b's and c's.

Still a DB class of Crawford, Thompson, Eaton, and Alford is pretty damn good.

Like a month ago we were sure we were getting Washington, Rogers, and ctj. 

So maybe don’t count on Thompson, Eaton, and Alford just yet. Well maybe count on Thompson. 

9 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

His dad really wanted a cozy $100k/year warehouse manager job in Auburn.

Safe to say not just Texas media but all media whiffed on this one big time. If that isn't a big indicator...

Regardless, Mike posted he thinks its only plausible CT Jr flips if Malzahn is canned after this season. That's not all that insightful as we all could have guessed that, but it's something that'll probably help us in re-recruiting him.

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Safe to say not just Texas media but all media whiffed on this one big time. If that isn't a big indicator...

Regardless, Mike posted he thinks its only plausible CT Jr flips if Malzahn is canned after this season. That's not all that insightful as we all could have guessed that, but it's something that'll probably help us in re-recruiting him.

Mike is a nice guy, but he should change his name to Scotty because he doesn't know.

• Like 2

God damn we have some aggy in our own fanbase. I know some responses are satire, but still  

Kid picked another school. It sucks. Trashing him by saying he got paid or because he’s too weak to ignore his dad and make his own decision is aggy as fuck. 

We lost. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1