Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: The backstory on Bijan Robinson...

Hide contents

Let me start off by saying that I got a late start to this recruitment. In my previous capacity, EJ was handling the out of state guys for the most part, and I didn't have much of a relationship with Robinson. I had a couple of contacts in his area that I started corresponding with in the spring when I was promoted.

In May, I spoke with a very good source in Arizona who told me that he would be very surprised if Robinson didn't end up at Texas from the way he was talking. When Robinson made his OV to Texas, I was told multiple times by sources that they were surprised he didn't come out of the visit committed. I was told that Texas checked all of the boxes and had the appealing depth chart for him. In fact, the source I spoke with in May told me he was under the impression that Bijan was going on his OV to Texas with the intention to commit.

Robinson left Austin and went to the Rivals challenge where all the Ohio State buzz started up. The information just didn't make sense based on what I was told by multiple sources. After digging quite a bit, I finally learned that Robinson was in fact telling people he was headed to Ohio State. Fast forward to last Sunday. I woke up to a post from Ohio State reporter Bill Kurelic stating sources at Ohio State were no longer confident in Bijan landing there. The natural jump was to think Texas would be the beneficiary, but I hadn't heard anything like that. I also heard that USC may be one to watch.

After spending the early part of the week checking, I didn't hear much positivity on the Texas side, but our sources on the USC side weren't professing much either. I think both staffs almost wrote him off at that point. After talking with our national team of analysts like Steve Wiltfong, Blair Angulo, and Greg Biggins, I started to gain more confidence. I heard mid-week some cautious optimisim coming out of Austin, and that was all I needed.

That brings me to a small tangent. Having worked at an independent site in the past, I can't stress enough the value of our network. Being behind in this recruitment, I received a lot of help from those national analysts, especially Blair. I think sometimes fans feel they aren't getting value if they don't hear it from me, but the value of your subscription is in the comprehensive coverage we can bring as a network. The strength of the wolf is the pack. I plan to make a trip to El Paso this fall to see Salpointe Catholic in action, and we'll talk to Bijan more there. That's about all I have on this story, but we will see what else we can uncover.

f3375e060896ba553a88874b6f4b1bbb9084bf60

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Where did you hear this? I’ve not seen that reported before. It seems like a pretty stupid thing to a recruit you’re going to take regardless

TFB open post from Tuesday: 

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/07/open-post-tuesday-july-30th/

"Perhaps the most interesting part of the interview was Collins said the staff told him they were looking for one more guy on the defensive line in the 2020 class. It’s safe to assume Collins is the guy atop of the board at the moment for the staff, which makes things interesting for guys like Princely Umanmielen."

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Roach is fine.  He seems to work hard and be earnest. If I was paying for info I'd be fine supporting him.  I've seen Ketchumness infect the whole industry and it's sad but it is what it is. 

He lacks all of the EJ BS.

Washing machines, fat girls and SFA grads also work hard in earnest. I’m not flipping them a Hammy every month though. He’s not going to make it, unfortunately. He’s unaware, milquetoast and dense. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Roach is fine.  He seems to work hard and be earnest. If I was paying for info I'd be fine supporting him.  I've seen Ketchumness infect the whole industry and it's sad but it is what it is. 

He lacks all of the EJ BS.

How quickly we forget Higdon recruiting updates delivered via ancient Robert Langdon numerical cryptology puzzles, lol my friend. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: The backstory on Bijan Robinson...

Reveal hidden contents

Let me start off by saying that I got a late start to this recruitment. In my previous capacity, EJ was handling the out of state guys for the most part, and I didn't have much of a relationship with Robinson. I had a couple of contacts in his area that I started corresponding with in the spring when I was promoted.

In May, I spoke with a very good source in Arizona who told me that he would be very surprised if Robinson didn't end up at Texas from the way he was talking. When Robinson made his OV to Texas, I was told multiple times by sources that they were surprised he didn't come out of the visit committed. I was told that Texas checked all of the boxes and had the appealing depth chart for him. In fact, the source I spoke with in May told me he was under the impression that Bijan was going on his OV to Texas with the intention to commit.

Robinson left Austin and went to the Rivals challenge where all the Ohio State buzz started up. The information just didn't make sense based on what I was told by multiple sources. After digging quite a bit, I finally learned that Robinson was in fact telling people he was headed to Ohio State. Fast forward to last Sunday. I woke up to a post from Ohio State reporter Bill Kurelic stating sources at Ohio State were no longer confident in Bijan landing there. The natural jump was to think Texas would be the beneficiary, but I hadn't heard anything like that. I also heard that USC may be one to watch.

After spending the early part of the week checking, I didn't hear much positivity on the Texas side, but our sources on the USC side weren't professing much either. I think both staffs almost wrote him off at that point. After talking with our national team of analysts like Steve Wiltfong, Blair Angulo, and Greg Biggins, I started to gain more confidence. I heard mid-week some cautious optimisim coming out of Austin, and that was all I needed.

That brings me to a small tangent. Having worked at an independent site in the past, I can't stress enough the value of our network. Being behind in this recruitment, I received a lot of help from those national analysts, especially Blair. I think sometimes fans feel they aren't getting value if they don't hear it from me, but the value of your subscription is in the comprehensive coverage we can bring as a network. The strength of the wolf is the pack. I plan to make a trip to El Paso this fall to see Salpointe Catholic in action, and we'll talk to Bijan more there. That's about all I have on this story, but we will see what else we can uncover.

How does this backstory have more upvotes than Bijan’s commitment? 

24 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

How quickly we forget Higdon recruiting updates delivered via ancient Robert Langdon numerical cryptology puzzles, lol my friend. 

Higdon was annoying and weird but he actually had info from time to time with Strong.   Roach has no info and just wrote a story about it for everyone to read.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently, Umanlymannishman spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher’s face during the pool party. Fisher got pissed, climbed out of the pool and stormed off. The coaches stopped speaking with Princely after that and he basically ended up doing an Irish goodbye for the ice cream was served. 

He deserved that ball to the face. Jimbo got cocky playing at the net. He needs to be the libero and always play in the back.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently, Umanlymannishman spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher’s face during the pool party. Fisher got pissed, climbed out of the pool and stormed off. The coaches stopped speaking with Princely after that and he basically ended up doing an Irish goodbye for the ice cream was served. 

Like, with a latter? Doesn't Jimbo have to be in the shallow end?