Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Dude is huge, but he is also glacial. I'm pretty sure some time in a good S&C program will bring his times down considerably, but when your shuttle time is over 5, you're not exactly lightning quick. Definitely knows how to throw smaller guys around, though, so there's that.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Dude is huge, but he is also glacial. I'm pretty sure some time in a good S&C program will bring his times down considerably, but when your shuttle time is over 5, you're not exactly lightning quick. Definitely knows how to throw smaller guys around, though, so there's that.

His tape shows someone who can hold up at the line of attack, eat space and maintain gap integrity. He will be a great run stopper in college but he won't be someone who can pressure the QB.

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Geez, I didn't realize 247 were so down on him. 87 compared to a 92 composite? Anybody know why 247 dropped him?

"Provides personnel flexibility and might thrive in a big nickel role as a spacebacker hybrid. However, that also means a possible safety/outside linebacker 'tweener. Could be a man without a true position at the next level. Must improve lateral fluidity and man coverage ability to stay at safety. Predominantly plays downhill in high school. Can clean up tackling technique."

The 247 report on him. Tweener without an NFL position or a position in most college defenses. He has a perfect position for us as either our nickel or joker where we require a lot from them in both coverage and downhill run support.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If Texas really wanted Scott, that would be done. They know exactly what they’re doing at LB if they can pull it off. 

The target is 20 guys and they need to be the right guys. It would have to be something bizarre to lead to more than 20 unless they uncover a real treasure as a senior. They can/will pursue the grad transfer market and the transfer market aggressively as they have the past 3 years. They think the 2021 class is not only loaded, but viewing Texas favorably. Recent momentum will continue this weekend and we have every reason to believe this logic is correct. 

Is there any sort of known timeline on the LB plan? For example a December official visit.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

He didn't camp well earlier in the spring when he was asked to cover receivers one on one

Yep. He looked like dog shot trying to cover guys 1 on 1s at the opening, but he actually held up better than I expected as a deep safety during the 7 on 7s. 

Plain and simple though, Thompson will only shine when real football’s being played. 

The big picture of winning Princely's recruitment is that this staff was able to successfully overcome the aggy 4 man line argument. Which everyone knew was bs but it wasn't clear that staff could counter it. That and an avalanche of aggy tears. Count me in. 

• Like 3