Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Wiltfong's article has to be a work, and he's been chosen to play the heel role for Longhorn recruiting. No one can be that stupid in real life.

He completely avoids sharing that Saban begged Jake Smith & family to attend bama.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Ahhh, so you want a written apology from golfclap, sydney, and ctj.

popcorn-chopsticks-e1530206965340.jpg?qu

I’ve got a banner and a billboard coming in hot. If there’s one thing I’m known for, it’s contrition. 

Also, I really haven’t run over Drayton much. A couple of times when it’s been really dark, but that’s more of the bailiwick of the other two guys. Now Oscar Giles? Well, I’m just glad hustle never sleeps. And by that I mean I’m glad Bryan Carrington was there to assist on both Broughton and Robinson, and that Beck was there to help specifically with Robinson. 

4 hours ago, texaslong said:
2 weeks in the NFL. Awesome job if you can find one.

Sometimes, I think it’s a sin, when I feel like I’m winning when I’m losing again.

Forgive me, I’m on a really long ass road trip.

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Like 2

Since @SydneyCarton has the stupids and posted this in the aggy thread, I thought I’d bring it over here.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

So fucking around with the calculator, I added Quentin Johnston, Alfred Collins, Jerrin Thompson, CTJ (we'll see), and LVBS.

Honestly, who are the rest of our targets this class, because that just gets us to 16. I realize that some said this might be a smaller class, but who are the other targets we're really chasing at this point? Alford and Eaton, perhaps, and maybe Princely if he decides to jump on board but that's 19 guys. I honestly can't even think of anyone else we've been chasing or trying to keep warm at the moment. 

To that list, i’d add:

RB2: Jordan

2 LBs: Scott and a JUCO probably

Another CB: Eaton or Pouncey. Or maybe Alford as a safety/nickel. 

WR: Hester

and then I’d say one more spot for a late bloomer, hopefully on one of the lines. 

So that would put us at 22 for the class.

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Since @SydneyCarton has the stupids and posted this in the aggy thread, I thought I’d bring it over here.

To that list, i’d add:

RB2: Jordan

2 LBs: Scott and a JUCO probably

Another CB: Eaton or Pouncey. Or maybe Alford as a safety/nickel. 

WR: Hester

and then I’d say one more spot for a late bloomer, hopefully on one of the lines. 

So that would put us at 22 for the class.

If Texas really wanted Scott, that would be done. They know exactly what they’re doing at LB if they can pull it off. 

The target is 20 guys and they need to be the right guys. It would have to be something bizarre to lead to more than 20 unless they uncover a real treasure as a senior. They can/will pursue the grad transfer market and the transfer market aggressively as they have the past 3 years. They think the 2021 class is not only loaded, but viewing Texas favorably. Recent momentum will continue this weekend and we have every reason to believe this logic is correct. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, d.plainview872 said:

Bijans tape reminds me of Malcolm Browns.

7 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Seem different in terms of top end to me.  On MB's tape he was oftentimes getting run down on his breakaway runs; he just broke pretty much every single attempted tackle.  Bijan has similar vision to find those holes like MB, but he also appears to have another gear.

How much of that is playing AZ vs. playing high-level Texas high school football?  I don't know.

18 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Ketchum compared B Robinson to J Charles. At this point I’m assuming he’s in a constant pluckers coma and his brain pathways are partially blocked with wing oil. 

Baizer said Arian Foster (I don't see that at all, and I think Keaontay Ingram is similar to Foster), and someone else said Saquon Barkley, can't remember who

I see someone more like Lesean McCoy, who makes dudes miss in a phone booth, and is still big enough to run inside 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Baizer said Arian Foster (I don't see that at all, and I think Keaontay Ingram is similar to Foster), and someone else said Saquon Barkley, can't remember who

I see someone more like Lesean McCoy, who makes dudes miss in a phone booth, and is still big enough to run inside 

I already compared Bijan to McCoy earlier this week. Get off my lawn, Fud!

also, they’re both good pass catchers and both carry the ball painfully far away from their body (I’m hoping Bijan fixes this one). 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I can see the Arian foster comp in looking at all the outside zone in his commitment video. He has great vision and cut upfield when he sees a hole. 

Lesean McCoy is not a good comp. Bijan does not have the speed of McCoy. I have the same problem with comparing him to Saquon. He just isnt that fast. He's more of a vision runner. 

Edited by Katfid54

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I already compared Bijan to McCoy earlier this week. Get off my lawn, Fud!

also, they’re both good pass catchers and both carry the ball painfully far away from their body (I’m hoping Bijan fixes this one). 

I comped him to Bijan a few weeks ago I think

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I can see the Arian foster comp in looking at all the outside zone in his commitment video. He has great vision and cut upfield when he sees a hole. 

Lesean McCoy is not a good comp. Bijan does not have the speed of McCoy. I have the same problem with comparing him to Saquon. He just isnt that fast. He's more of a vision runner. 

He much more speed than Foster, for sure. He has more wiggle than Saquon, imo. Lesean is what, a 4.45 type? Bijan will probably be around a 4.55, so while he's probably not as fast as Lesean, he's not that far behind. 

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

McCoy ran a 4.51 at the combine. He’s not THAT fast. Definitely not so fast that it throws off the comp. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Based on how many JUCO LBs, Orlando/Texas has taken so far, you got to bet that is where the LBs, if any, in this class are going to come from. Plus, if Thompson does commit on Sunday, Texas could already have 3 LBs in this class. You never know where Jackson and Hullaby are going to be playing.

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's a bunch of these type accounts which is odd as hell. They use the recruits name and picture like it's their real account. I don't get it. 

Some loser types used to buy high school athlete's domain names with hopes of selling it back to them when they hit it big.  

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Texas really wanted Scott, that would be done. They know exactly what they’re doing at LB if they can pull it off. 

You tease.

Sounds ambitious, and in line with shoot-the-moon mentality that staff has had for '20 cycle (... wr notwithstanding)

On 6/26/2019 at 6:06 PM, closetojumping said:

I just can't get too worked up about any of this. It feels like there are multiple times in each cycle where the recruiting game goes on tilt against us, and then it comes back the other way. Guys covering this stuff are too close to it and the recruits when momentum swings for a bit. One minute you're landing everybody and the next, no one knows your name. 

I do think I will laugh pretty fucking hard in a very petty, foreboding kind of way if Washington commits to OU. At this stage, going to play defense at OU over Texas is a fucking joke of a decision, especially for someone in Texas. And I know he's from California, you pedantic fucks, but he's here now. 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:38 PM, closetojumping said:

Well, I don't know what I was expecting when I decided to visit this thread this afternoon, but based on some conversations I'd had earlier, it certainly wasn't this absurdity. I debated just clicking out, but fuck it, I like being contrarian. It will be interesting to see how it sorts itself out.

Texas feels good about:

• Dorbah
  • Rogers
  • Collins
  • Johnston
  • Washington
  • Robinson
  • Thompson Jr

Obviously they're apparently alone in the belief that they will land Robinson based on today's updates from steadfast recruiting wizards Jason Suchomel and Mike Farrell. I'm fairly certain the stuff I relay here has a far higher hit rate than Suchomel over the past decade+. This is that lazy fuck's first time to meet many of these guys. Anyway, the issue remains that at some point, Robinson has to pick up the phone and commit to his position coach somewhere. If that happens with Drayton, it will be the first time he's gotten one of those calls while at Texas. 

They like where they stand with Broughton as well. 

No one has a clue what is happening with LB besides the Scott kid out of DFW and the ongoing (futile, IMO) pursuit of White. 

Umanlymainlyman is a who knows? recruitment, which doesn't sound good. 

Ty Jordan is back in favor of being TB2. 

If the sequence was Lindberg then Karic, Texas could take 5. If that is inverted, they take 4, and if they can only land one, they probably stop at 4. 

Heard nothing about Utah, Missouri or Kentucky DLs, and asked. 

They'll stay on Mookie. 

Bloodlines could matter all of the sudden again.

They like where they stand with Wilson, but it's a long hustle. 

Unless something cool pops up in the fall, not sure there's going to be a TE in this class. Something could pop up at LB as well. 

The Bleacher Report, from Matt Hayes of all people, will be shown to every recruit that considers ATM over the next few years, and folks familiar with Fisher don't really see much at this point to think he's on some sort of other trend at ATM than what he did at FSU after Winston. 

I'll post on the FB board about what the buzz is on the current roster including the new freshmen. 

Sorry for partying? I think plenty here know I'm no sunshine pumper. Now I'm interested to see if Suchomel and crew are actually closer to the truth than anyone else or ... not. 

I went back to see how things were faring with what was going around the time of the late, great panic of June 2019 compared to results. I’ll say the Rogers and Washington stuff surprised the staff and the rest of us. The rest is mostly on point. The $9.95ers are mostly full of fucking shit and prey on the paranoia of each collective recruiting base, for sure. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

I think it was in this thread someone posited that perhaps with Robinson in the fold, Whittington would switch back to receiver next year. Mike Roach said he spoke to a source this afternoon who said, "very little chance of that" because he's too good at RB. Just passing that along - it was discussed in today's Longhorn Blitz podcast. 

Edited by Chopper

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I went back to see how things were fairing with what was going around the time of the late, great panic of June 2019 compared to results. I’ll say the Rogers and Washington stuff surprised the staff and the rest of us. The rest is mostly on point. The $9.95ers are mostly full of fucking shit and prey on the paranoia of each collective recruiting base, for sure. 

Mostly good indeed. Happy "the Utah DL" panned out

56 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I think it was in this thread someone posited that perhaps with Robinson in the fold, Whittington would switch back to receiver next year. Mike Roach said he spoke to a source this afternoon who said, "very little chance of that" because he's too good at RB. Just passing that along - it was discussed in today's Longhorn Blitz podcast. 

Whittington will be a running back the same way Kamara is. Use him all over the formation including the slot and out wide 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Good to hear. I am more concerned with depth, all 4 of our guys have missed significant time the last few years.