Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

48 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

About 60% of the people on this board don't know what Arizona is. 

About 95% don't know what daylight savings time means.

The only people who can put everything together are likely me and you, and I'm not to sure about you.

I live in Arizona and I have to explain how we deal with daylight savings time to all my friends back in Texas . . . EVERY FUCKING TIME I TALK TO THEM.

It would be great if we didn't have to reproduce that experience here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

About 60% of the people on this board don't know what Arizona is. 

About 95% don't know what daylight savings time means.

The only people who can put everything together are likely me and you, and I'm not to sure about you.

But does Bijan understand daylight savings time vs standard time? Because his post said noon pacific standard time. Noon PST = 3:00 CDT.

Just floating that out there in case 2:00 CDT comes and goes with no announcement.

Cue the “daylight savings time talk not going away” post.

Edited by Baconboy

4 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

I live in Arizona and I have to explain how we deal with daylight savings time to all my friends back in Texas . . . EVERY FUCKING TIME I TALK TO THEM.

So you're just not going to tell us what time he is announcing? Dick. 

6 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

So how does daylight savings time work in Arizona, exactly?

The actual easiest thing, to me, about analyzing players is discerning whether or not they have anything elite going on. It’s not the end of the world if a recruit doesn’t, but folks writing this stuff, or following it daily, tend to go to hyperbole rather quickly when discussing a recruit or commitment. Not all players have the best hands ever. Not every OL commitment has the best feet ever. But does someone have 80+ inch wing span at tackle or DE? Is the WR legitimately 6’5” or do they have a sub 4.15 shuttle? Is the CB putting people into the hospital in run support? Does the QB recruit have Vince Young’s alpha personality? I don’t need anything more than one thing that I, and everyone else, can point to indisputably and say about a player that makes him different. 
Given that, I’d say the key to Rondale Moore is that it’s hard to compare anybody to his change of direction + acceleration. Maybe that winds up being Bowman, but that’s not what I saw on film. I did see elite ball skills, above and beyond anything else, for Bowman. He looked like the Honey Badger, so put that fucker at NB and let him scare the shit out of OC’s when they call a pass play. 
To these points, my only issue with Hester is that I don’t see an elite skill or trait. Maybe he’s got one I’m missing, but I understand why OU would pursue Trajan Bridges instead. That doesn’t mean Hester can’t play and be a very productive WR in Herman’s offense. Marcus Washington doesn’t have an elite skill or trait, of which we’re aware at least. He was still someone everyone was excited about, and there’s more there on film, sure. But nothing elite. Anyway, apparently he was whipping ass this summer with Ehlinger in the passing competitions. Guys like Kwame Cavil have a place in this offense. There was nothing elite about that dude whatsoever, except, it turns out, his toughness. He was just fucking nastier than any DB lining up to cover him and he carried the offense in the passing game in 1999. I hope Hester isn’t just a depth guy. I hope they’re seeing something in him that has them excited. Otherwise, I don’t get it. Problem is, Mehringer is a proven dunce. Meekins hasn’t amazed anybody. So it’s a leap of faith that this board seems unwilling to take right now. 

Great post. I remember watching Rex Burkhead and Keenan Robinson in high school and you could just see the elite play vs those around them. They just stuck out from all of the rest. I could never identify the exact trait but they were just better.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

That's what I remember from MB, even as a Longhorn.  Great player for us, but seemed like his longest gains rarely topped the 20 yard range. 

I remember MB not getting tackled once for at least the first 5 minutes of his highlights. The players who were fast enough to catch him were not strong enough to bring him down but could only push him out of bounds at best. He lost that advantage at the college level.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just to clear up anyone who has actually been confused by the last 2 pages, the countdown on BRs instagram indicates that the announcement will be taking place in ~40 minutes from now

That's just great. USC confirmed.

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is                                                                                                                                                                                     Does anybody really care (care about time)
If so I can't imagine why (no, no)
We've all got time enough to cry