Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Mike at Night: Crystal Ballin'

Hide contents

— A caring Aggie fan brought up my Crystal Ball predictions on Twitter today. In general, I’ve changed a lot of my stances on crystal ball strategy, and most of his gripe was with misses I had when I played a bit more reckless. Regardless, I thought now was a good time to update existing picks, and I figured Mike at Night would be a good companion piece to explain them.

— Tonight, I added a Texas pick for 2021 New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. The four-star prospect was really high on Texas before the offer, and after the offer, he told me that Texas held a slight edge over Texas A&M. Harris said he plans to wait until next summer, but I believe we could see him try to jump on while the 2021 momentum is hot.

— I went ahead and changed my Crystal Ball pick for five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo to Georgia. This has been a long time coming, but I entered my Texas pick in the spring after hearing VERY positive things for the Longhorns. Georgia took control of this recruitment during the spring, and they really haven’t looked back since that time. I was going to wait until after his official visits, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this commit came from out of nowhere.

— I changed my Crystal Ball pick for Cedar Hill offensive tackle Courtland Ford to foggy. It was still on LSU from before the time he committed, and I was waiting to see if Texas was going to offer. I don’t believe they will at this point, so it could potentially come down to a few schools recruiting the big tackle.

— I went "Foggy" on 2021 Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson. There was a point in the fall and early spring where it looked like a foregone conclusion Jackson would land in the class, but dynamics changed on both sides. Jackson’s teammate Marcus Burris became a bona fide elite prospect, and the two have talked more and more about playing together. On the Texas side, they have a lot of options at his position. I’m not saying Jackson won’t end up in the class, but I think Texas A&M and Arkansas have become real threats.

— I’ve also gone "Foggy" on 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Texas will get a hard look from him because of Jalen Milroe, but I think scheme and development will come into play here. Adeleye does not want to play in a three-man front, and I think a few other schools are standing out at the moment for him.

— I also went "Foggy" on Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. I’ve mentioned this before, but I think Wheaton was one of the prospects that was hurt most by Ra’Shaad Samples leaving Texas. While the Longhorns are still in it, I’ve been told a “totally unexpected” team is making a lot of progress in this recruitment. It could depend on the timeline, but the same source who told me about the unexpected team told me a few months ago that Wheaton was close to committing to the Longhorns.

Welp. Better get Bijan tomorrow because we probably ain’t getting Wheaton. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Burt was technically incorrect, and LTX was addressing that, like a dutiful bot.

Go reprogram yourself, bot.

Hester hasn’t had a committable offer from OU in over a year, if he ever had one to begin with.

I don't get the lack of enthusiasm for Hester. His tape is pretty exciting. Big graceful runner who plays silky smooth and has very soft hands. I know there's probably some non-football-related concern, though it seems analysts are hesitant to talk about what that is.

But football-wise I'm pretty sold.  

I'm assuming it's not a situation of Hester vs. Johnston for this class.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

If it makes you feel better, I've been following recruiting for years and I still have no idea how to judge HS players by their HUDL highlights.

Everyone's talking about flexibility, vision, explosiveness, etc. and I'm just thinking "cool, he scored a TD he must be awesome."

That's because there's usually just not a whole lot you (or anyone else besides apparently Daddy98) can really tell from a highlight video. Some things/traits stand out, but for the most part, a HUDL reel just isn't especially revelatory. I mean, yes, you can maybe say stuff like "yeah, that guy looks fast," "he moves/bends really well for a big guy," or "his change of direction looks solid." But really, how much is the film from 1% of someone's entire season going to tell you? 

I'm guilty of it too. At least you're being honest about it.

4 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

That's because there's usually just not a whole lot you (or anyone else besides apparently Daddy98) can really tell from a highlight video. Some things/traits stand out, but for the most part, a HUDL reel just isn't especially revelatory. I mean, yes, you can maybe say stuff like "yeah, that guy looks fast," "he moves/bends really well for a big guy," or "his change of direction looks solid." But really, how much is the film from 1% of someone's entire season going to tell you? 

I'm guilty of it too. At least you're being honest about it.

Tape shows you two things:

1. How athletic or elusive a guy is relative to his competition. 

2. How smart a player is. Play diagnosis, taking great angles in pursuit, looking off a defender.

While that's not everything, it's really good info. There's a reason tape is still used to find good players.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rick Fuckin’ Dalton said:

I’m a 95 baby, I didn’t start watching Texas football until 2008

We need someone checking ID's. Far too much underage drinking going on here. And yes, most of us oldsters think 23 is too young to handle the truth . . . but you will age and mature, and can then be an asshole like the rest of us.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Tape shows you two things:

1. How athletic or elusive a guy is relative to his competition. 

2. How smart a player is. Play diagnosis, taking great angles in pursuit, looking off a defender.

While that's not everything, it's really good info. There's a reason tape is still used to find good players.

HUDL isn't tape, they're highlights. Things like play diagnosis can be deceiving on there because it's self-selected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

Night crew around here any friendlier? Joined today and it was like poking my head into a bee hive. Place has changed since it was Shaggy Bevo. I guess that's why they call it Surly.

Bijan tomorrow, CTJ Sunday, and the Lufkin Thompson sometime soon. Should be a happier place. 

will smith empty room GIF

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

If it makes you feel better, I've been following recruiting for years and I still have no idea how to judge HS players by their HUDL highlights.

Everyone's talking about flexibility, vision, explosiveness, etc. and I'm just thinking "cool, he scored a TD he must be awesome."

spacer.png

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

Pretty much everyone on this board - except you, I guess - could tell Rondale Moore was going to be a stud.  That was mainly because of the insane change of direction and acceleration he showed in his highlights.  Yes, it always helps to have more data.  Like seeing a player go up against other highly rated recruits in camps, or track times.  But you can tell a lot from highlights, at least for skill players.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pretty much everyone on this board - except you, I guess - could tell Rondale Moore was going to be a stud.  That was mainly because of the insane change of direction and acceleration he showed in his highlights.  Yes, it always helps to have more data.  Like seeing a player go up against other highly rated recruits in camps, or track times.  But you can tell a lot from highlights, at least for skill players.

And EJ

0ff79da77eba446c8970c65d08dc2f33.jpg

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Has where Bijan is announcing been identified? No twitter

this article says he is going to post at insta: https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/11/5-star-rb-bijan-robinson-sets-decision-date/

The decision will come on Friday, August 2nd via Robinson’s Instagram account (@bijan_robinson).

https://www.instagram.com/bijan_robinson

that said, he hasn't posted there since his USC visit - or he scrubbed his posts since mid June.

no info in most recent followers either, not related to CFB...

Edited by NoName

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

this article says he is going to post at insta: https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/11/5-star-rb-bijan-robinson-sets-decision-date/

https://www.instagram.com/bijan_robinson

that said, he hasn't posted there since his USC visit - or he scrubbed his posts since mid June.

no info in most recent followers either, not related to CFB...

Confirmed

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

HUDL isn't tape, they're highlights. Things like play diagnosis can be deceiving on there because it's self-selected.

Like I said, it's not everything. Tape should tell you whether to take a deeper look into the prospect or not. You still have to visit the recruit's games, talk with his family and HC. My point is that tape is still valuable. Billy Bowman Jr. is a prime example of a player that just jumps out when you press play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Like I said, it's not everything. Tape should tell you whether to take a deeper look into the prospect or not. You still have to visit the recruit's games, talk with his family and HC. My point is that tape is still valuable. Billy Bowman Jr. is a prime example of a player that just jumps out when you press play.

Yup. Tape is the first point of contact for any staff if the kid didn't come to a camp for that school prior, and its invaluable. Most football staffs have access to entire game tape for every played snap for kids as well, not just what the kid puts on a public Hudl, so they get to see the fuck ups as well.

IT's Friday recruiting post didn't have much new content today. The highlights:

-It's close, but they're still picking Texas for Chris Thompson Jr. for now.

-Potential contingency at safety: https://247sports.com/player/christian-gonzalez-46080020/. One issue here is that he wants to play corner.

-They think Jahari Rogers will visit Texas in the fall. Alford is still in play as well since there is some uncertainty as to whether he's a take for Bama.

-Hester is likely to take OVs before making a  decision. LVBS and Johnston are the priorities at WR.

-Eaton and Pouncey are both expected to OV this fall.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bowman reminds me a lot of Moore. He may not be quite that electric, but he has some of the same change of direction and acceleration skills.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

That's not how following recruiting works, you are supposed to throw out things like, He has elite athleticism, size/speed/vision you can't teach. Then you have to compare him to a guy who played in the league anywhere from the mid 90's to late 2000's.

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Even with speed/athleticism, a lot of HUDL highlights are slightly sped up making it tougher to separate out the pretenders from the contenders.

Coaches get full-game video of their mistakes as well, which is probably a lot more illuminating.

3 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Bijan is in Arizona, which is on Mountain Standard, but is announcing at noon Pacific? Is this a sign he’s picking USC?

Almost every USC site has conceded Bijan to Texas "for now". I can't remember the last time a recruitment this high profile was that covert to where every recruiting site whiffed. I think you're reading into it too much. We'll know either way by 2 PM.