Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Except for Derka. But it’s on his bucket list.

23 minutes ago, txhorns said:

This is the biggest "shock the world" revelation in this thread.  You're telling me jerseyman finally got laid?

He tried, but she accidentally said one derogatory thing about Rick Barnes and the peepee went flaccid.

• Haha 1

The shrieking from long time posters over new posters showing up and adding to the conversation presumes one thing - there was some established level of decorum and/or capability that set a floor for the conversation above where they’ve entered the fray. 

In reading this site daily and witnessing our rampant idiocy, I find that presumption bizarre to say the least. What’s a troop of new idiots added to the grease fire here? A mere grease drop in the flaming bucket. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The shrieking from long time posters over new posters showing up and adding to the conversation presumes one thing - there was some established level of decorum and/or capability that set a floor for the conversation above where they’ve entered the fray. 

In reading this site daily and witnessing our rampant idiocy, I find that presumption bizarre to say the least. What’s a troop of new idiots added to the grease fire here? A mere grease drop in the flaming bucket. 

There really aren’t any fan sites anyone should be proud of.  We are all a little weird for following this shit.  But most on UT boards are fairly self aware.  And then you have a Texags board.  Weird, dumb, cultish and delusional.  

The Penn State and Baylor boards during their scandals were as bad as Texags is and has been for 20 years now.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some of them are real but a fleet showed up today to say one inane thing and then vanish again, which suggests a troll with an odd sense of humor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thank you for pointing this out. The cacophony of lamentation from veteran posters beginning on page 570 of this thread has been quite amusing given the profundity and relevance of their own contributions on the very same pages.

Not every new user is a troll. Some just never get around to registering until the right opportunity presents itself. I'm not sure why I or anyone else would think that this was the right opportunity, but here we are.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 19

14 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Thank you for pointing this out. The cacophony of lamentation from veteran posters beginning on page 570 of this thread has been quite amusing given the profundity and relevance of their own contributions on the very same pages.

Not every new user is a troll. Some just never get around to registering until the right opportunity presents itself. I'm not sure why I or anyone else would think that this was the right opportunity, but here we are.

Part of me appreciates your ctj shtick. 

59 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

The cacophony your mom was making last night was quite amusing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Because he's the JJ Hester of Texas recruits.

That seems like an unfair dog at a likely commit.

i mean after all, he was hand picked by Drew Mehringer himself. If you’re really not sure about Hester, just ask yourself, do you trust the evaluations of 2 of the brightest offensive minds in the game in Lincoln “that bag o’ dicks” Riley and mullet top Gundy who chose not to offer an in state 4 star WR, or would you rather side with last year’s #1 recruiter in the nation who’s willing to take Hester’s commitment....after missing out on a multitude of other higher targets? 

I know it would be impossible to actually track, but it would be great to see a batting average stat for every recruiter. I’d be willing to bet that no one in the country has a greater disparity between their batting average and the rating of the guys they pull in at their position than ole Drewby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

what the fuck happened today

Glad you asked.

Newly crowned Woodbury County Fair queen draws laughs with unusual story

5d438563e487d.image.jpg?resize=1200,859

MOVILLE, Iowa -- Bailey McKenna isn't sure her answer to the sole question posed during the Woodbury County Fair royalty contest was the reason she was crowned the fair queen Wednesday.

But it sure didn't hurt to draw the biggest audience response of the evening.

Each king and queen candidate fielded a different question. Going sixth of the 11 queen candidates, McKenna quickly responded to the query on her favorite childhood memory.

"I lost a tooth and it fell into the (open) casket," she responded, drawing a chorus of laughs from the audience in Flathers Hall.

McKenna, a Sioux City resident who will be a senior at Lawton-Bronson High School this fall, was recalling a funeral for a great aunt she attended at about age 8. 

After the coronation, McKenna elaborated on her unique answer.

"It is one of my favorite memories," she told a Journal reporter. "I don't know where one of my teeth went."

The questions the queen and king candidates answered at the fairgrounds Wednesday night followed preliminary judging a few days earlier.

McKenna and Jacob Henderson will reign as queen and king, respectively, during this year's fair, which runs through Sunday. Henderson, a Cushing resident, is a 2019 graduate of River Valley High School.

Sarah Nelson, of Moville, earned the Miss Congeniality title, while first princess was Gracia Widman, of Climbing Hill, and Autumn Weaver, of Moville, was named second princess.

Nicholas McGowan, of Sioux City, and Justin Krogh, of Sergeant Bluff, were named first prince and second prince, respectively, while Casey Beaver, of Moville, received the Mr. Personality honor. 

Queen candidates also included Mikalya Boeshart, of Sioux City; Madison Boyle, of Danbury; Kassidy Harpenau, of Salix; Sierra Hinrickson, of Oto;  Jessica Kratz, of Sioux City; Lauren Sobaski, of Sioux City; and Haley Williams, of Bronson.

After the ceremony, the eight members of the royalty court piled into a tram, which drove them in front of the grandstand as sunset neared. The names of winners were announced to the crowd, and the summer country-rap hybrid hit "Old Town Road" played as McKenna showed she was already versed in the cupped-hand royalty wave.

Henderson and McKenna said they already spend long days at the fair, so fitting in royalty duties shouldn't be a problem.

"I'm here from morning to night anyway," Henderson said.

Henderson, the son of Jeff and Julie Henderson of Cushing, has been exhibiting at the fair since about age six.

"The first year I did it, I got grand champion bucket calf. You can call it beginner's luck," he quipped.

A 4-H member for the last eight years, he also has submitted entries in swine, photography and rabbits competitions.

As the king, his duties at this year's fair will include judging a bucket calf and pie competition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mike at Night: Crystal Ballin'

— A caring Aggie fan brought up my Crystal Ball predictions on Twitter today. In general, I’ve changed a lot of my stances on crystal ball strategy, and most of his gripe was with misses I had when I played a bit more reckless. Regardless, I thought now was a good time to update existing picks, and I figured Mike at Night would be a good companion piece to explain them.

— Tonight, I added a Texas pick for 2021 New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. The four-star prospect was really high on Texas before the offer, and after the offer, he told me that Texas held a slight edge over Texas A&M. Harris said he plans to wait until next summer, but I believe we could see him try to jump on while the 2021 momentum is hot.

— I went ahead and changed my Crystal Ball pick for five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo to Georgia. This has been a long time coming, but I entered my Texas pick in the spring after hearing VERY positive things for the Longhorns. Georgia took control of this recruitment during the spring, and they really haven’t looked back since that time. I was going to wait until after his official visits, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this commit came from out of nowhere.

— I changed my Crystal Ball pick for Cedar Hill offensive tackle Courtland Ford to foggy. It was still on LSU from before the time he committed, and I was waiting to see if Texas was going to offer. I don’t believe they will at this point, so it could potentially come down to a few schools recruiting the big tackle.

— I went "Foggy" on 2021 Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson. There was a point in the fall and early spring where it looked like a foregone conclusion Jackson would land in the class, but dynamics changed on both sides. Jackson’s teammate Marcus Burris became a bona fide elite prospect, and the two have talked more and more about playing together. On the Texas side, they have a lot of options at his position. I’m not saying Jackson won’t end up in the class, but I think Texas A&M and Arkansas have become real threats.

— I’ve also gone "Foggy" on 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Texas will get a hard look from him because of Jalen Milroe, but I think scheme and development will come into play here. Adeleye does not want to play in a three-man front, and I think a few other schools are standing out at the moment for him.

— I also went "Foggy" on Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. I’ve mentioned this before, but I think Wheaton was one of the prospects that was hurt most by Ra’Shaad Samples leaving Texas. While the Longhorns are still in it, I’ve been told a “totally unexpected” team is making a lot of progress in this recruitment. It could depend on the timeline, but the same source who told me about the unexpected team told me a few months ago that Wheaton was close to committing to the Longhorns.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

That seems like an unfair dog at a likely commit.

i mean after all, he was hand picked by Drew Mehringer himself. If you’re really not sure about Hester, just ask yourself, do you trust the evaluations of 2 of the brightest offensive minds in the game in Lincoln “that bag o’ dicks” Riley and mullet top Gundy who chose not to offer an in state 4 star WR, or would you rather side with last year’s #1 recruiter in the nation who’s willing to take Hester’s commitment....after missing out on a multitude of other higher targets? 

I know it would be impossible to actually track, but it would be great to see a batting average stat for every recruiter. I’d be willing to bet that no one in the country has a greater disparity between their batting average and the rating of the guys they pull in at their position than ole Drewby.

Maybe he told the schools in Oklahoma that he was getting the fuck out of that state and to Texas as fast as he can. Huh did you ever consider that

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not a big fan of Hester either, but his timeline on 247 shows blOU offered him: 

4648285.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50 February 17, 2018: Offer

Oklahoma Sooners offer Javian Hester

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

This isn't TexAgs. We don't declare a DECISIVE HEAD-TO-HEAD WIN when our competition has left a mile in and found a better race to run.