Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

31 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Bowman reminds me a lot of Moore. He may not be quite that electric, but he has some of the same change of direction and acceleration skills.

The actual easiest thing, to me, about analyzing players is discerning whether or not they have anything elite going on. It’s not the end of the world if a recruit doesn’t, but folks writing this stuff, or following it daily, tend to go to hyperbole rather quickly when discussing a recruit or commitment. Not all players have the best hands ever. Not every OL commitment has the best feet ever. But does someone have 80+ inch wing span at tackle or DE? Is the WR legitimately 6’5” or do they have a sub 4.15 shuttle? Is the CB putting people into the hospital in run support? Does the QB recruit have Vince Young’s alpha personality? I don’t need anything more than one thing that I, and everyone else, can point to indisputably and say about a player that makes him different. 

Given that, I’d say the key to Rondale Moore is that it’s hard to compare anybody to his change of direction + acceleration. Maybe that winds up being Bowman, but that’s not what I saw on film. I did see elite ball skills, above and beyond anything else, for Bowman. He looked like the Honey Badger, so put that fucker at NB and let him scare the shit out of OC’s when they call a pass play. 

To these points, my only issue with Hester is that I don’t see an elite skill or trait. Maybe he’s got one I’m missing, but I understand why OU would pursue Trajan Bridges instead. That doesn’t mean Hester can’t play and be a very productive WR in Herman’s offense. Marcus Washington doesn’t have an elite skill or trait, of which we’re aware at least. He was still someone everyone was excited about, and there’s more there on film, sure. But nothing elite. Anyway, apparently he was whipping ass this summer with Ehlinger in the passing competitions. Guys like Kwame Cavil have a place in this offense. There was nothing elite about that dude whatsoever, except, it turns out, his toughness. He was just fucking nastier than any DB lining up to cover him and he carried the offense in the passing game in 1999. I hope Hester isn’t just a depth guy. I hope they’re seeing something in him that has them excited. Otherwise, I don’t get it. Problem is, Mehringer is a proven dunce. Meekins hasn’t amazed anybody. So it’s a leap of faith that this board seems unwilling to take right now. 

• Like 6

Almost every USC site has conceded Bijan to Texas "for now". I can't remember the last time a recruitment this high profile was that covert to where every recruiting site whiffed. I think you're reading into it too much. We'll know either way by 2 PM.
That's 3P eastern time as well. Did he OV to georgia?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:
15 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:
Almost every USC site has conceded Bijan to Texas "for now". I can't remember the last time a recruitment this high profile was that covert to where every recruiting site whiffed. I think you're reading into it too much. We'll know either way by 2 PM.

That's 3P eastern time as well. Did he OV to georgia?

12pm = 12th Man = Aggy lock. Oh fuck...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Bijan is in Arizona, which is on Mountain Standard, but is announcing at noon Pacific? Is this a sign he’s picking USC?

MST does not observe daylight savings time so their local time is the same as PT currently 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT's Friday recruiting post didn't have much new content today. The highlights:

-It's close, but they're still picking Texas for Chris Thompson Jr. for now.

-Potential contingency at safety: https://247sports.com/player/christian-gonzalez-46080020/. One issue here is that he wants to play corner.

-They think Jahari Rogers will visit Texas in the fall. Alford is still in play as well since there is some uncertainty as to whether he's a take for Bama.

-Hester is likely to take OVs before making a  decision. LVBS and Johnston are the priorities at WR.

-Eaton and Pouncey are both expected to OV this fall.

Aggy  lock.

2 minutes ago, Keef said:

Do we have any track times or verified 40 times for Bijan?

He performed (and won MVP) at the Adidas 5 star finals - but it doesn't look like they have released any of the testing numbers from that camp.  ESPN's posted 40 is apparently from a camp 2 years ago.

FWIW - all of the Adidas regional camp results are online and available - but I don't think Bijan attended any of the regional camps.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Even with speed/athleticism, a lot of HUDL highlights are slightly sped up making it tougher to separate out the pretenders from the contenders.

Coaches get full-game video of their mistakes as well, which is probably a lot more illuminating.

First off, let me say I find it fucking hilarious that you’re the one who started the whole, “what can you really discern from film?” discussion considering how many times you’ve been convinced prospects going elsewhere would be the savior of the program or that guys coming to UT are inferior to commits at other programs.

obviously, working off highlights, there’s a pretty significant limit to what you can learn about a player, but let’s not act like it’s impossible to discern anything from it. You can learn if a prospect has certain elite traits that are usually necessary to be good at their position. For instance, you can tell from majors’ film that he has good feet, balance, and lower body flexibility that allows him to explode out of his stance and generate a lot of power, even though he’s currently light in the pants. 

Obviously, stuff like leadership, work ethic, etc. matter a ton, but that’s where 9.95ers can actually be helpful because they can talk to coaches, trainers, people at the school, etc. Nahlin did a good job of this with Milroe and it was Part of why he was high on Milroe a lot earlier than others.

Testing numbers and Camp settings are helpful to determine if a guy actually has elite athleticism or if his tape is sped up/he’s playing against a bunch of 5’10, 180 on kids who run 4.9 40s.

while we don’t have access to full game tape, which would be ideal, I often look up the hudl of a player on an opposing team to see what a recruit’s non-highlight plays look like, which is really helpful in getting insight to a player’s floor, whereas his highlights usually only indicate their ceiling, which can be extremely misleading. 

Tl;dr morons like daddy98 obviously take stuff way too far, but if someone uses all the tools at their disposal, they can have a pretty decent idea about a prospect, with the acknowledgement that even the best evaluators in football tend to miss pretty often.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2019 at 11:34 AM, Bevo said:

Robinson, listed at 6-foot-1, 205-pounds, said he's surprised even himself while dropping his 40-yard dash time from 4.59 to 4.48 this year and he's looking to show colleges how explosive he can be out of the backfield.

https://usc.rivals.com/news/four-star-rb-bijan-robinson-a-big-reggie-bush-fan-high-on-usc

Remembered seeing this regarding Bijan's 40

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Given that, I’d say the key to Rondale Moore is that it’s hard to compare anybody to his change of direction + acceleration. Maybe that winds up being Bowman, but that’s not what I saw on film. I did see elite ball skills, above and beyond anything else, for Bowman. He looked like the Honey Badger, so put that fucker at NB and let him scare the shit out of OC’s when they call a pass play. 

Agree with this especially the honey badger comparison. Bowman will be a NB and special teams monster for us.

What in the blue fuck does the tape being sped up have to do with anything? Do they perform some sort of editing magic where they only speed it up for the recruit being featured? The way you judge speed on those highlights is in relation to the competition. They also have this newfangled invention called "slow motion". I'm not sure any of you have seen it or heard of it, but the players aren't actually moving slower in it. It is a video trick. Like the moon landing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/08/open-post-weekend-august-2nd-4th/

Hester, Ringo, Wilson, and the Thompsons.

Ultimately, LVBS fills the Mookie void in this class. As prospects, they are pretty equal in my mind. That said, I wonder if the Marcus Washington hype turns into reps. And, if it does, will we see Mookie reconsider. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ultimately, LVBS fills the Mookie void in this class. As prospects, they are pretty equal in my mind. That said, I wonder if the Marcus Washington hype turns into reps. And, if it does, will we see Mookie reconsider. 

I think LVBS and Mookie share their ability to break some ankles but I still think Mookie is a bit faster and deadlier in open space. That being said, I'm still very high on LVBS.

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What in the blue fuck does the tape being sped up have to do with anything? Do they perform some sort of editing magic where they only speed it up for the recruit being featured? The way you judge speed on those highlights is in relation to the competition. They also have this newfangled invention called "slow motion". I'm not sure any of you have seen it or heard of it, but the players aren't actually moving slower in it. It is a video trick. Like the moon landing.

You don't think watching prospects in actual speed is more useful than sped up? 

2 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

I think LVBS and Mookie share their ability to break some ankles but I still think Mookie is a bit faster and deadlier in open space. That being said, I'm still very high on LVBS.

LVBS is a much better actual receiver. Mookie is better with the ball in his hands.