Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is literally the opposite of the general consensus of well, pretty much everyone. Right down to the "Both are good prospects" part of your post.

Chibuzo has less business playing OT than Tristan Nicholson or even Terrell Cuney. 

The question was Ogunbiyi vs Chibuzo, of the two I think Chibuzo could be molded into OT. He's 2020, we're talking 4 years of work.

As to if he is a good prospect, I still think he is a good prospect who could be great, to go inline with his offers from Alabama, Georgia, Nebraska, Florida.. .etc

Who was it back at the Shag who had the overly critical review of Polley's game and then became absolutely apopletic when we missed on Polley and offered Cosmi?  That was fun.

All of us. I never, ever thought Cosmi could play. I held out hope that Polley could. Cosmi totally fooled me, and I’ll eat that crow.

• Like 3

I watched all the great CB’s play at Texas since the early 70’s and always thought Westbrook was one of the best of them all. He hit hard and covered receivers like glue. He doesn’t get nearly enough credit. Receivers would try to run curls or outs and he would just be suffocating them.

Yeah, the first great DBU player for me was Super Bill Bradley, who played QB, WR, punter, kicked off, CB and safety.  Then you can trace the beginnings to Ray Claiborne on up to Earl Thomas and a few since.  But I think Westbrook is the best I have seen on the 40, amongst what, 30-40+ and counting studs.

• Like 1

TFB on Michael Henderson: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-16th-18th/

Michael Henderson Jr | Final Six
– Andrew King

Ranchview (TX) ’20 athlete Michael Henderson Jr cut his list from around 20 offers to six.

I spoke with him briefly to get his thoughts on these six schools and what he likes about them all.

Oklahoma- “I love Oklahoma, they’ll be in it til the end.”

Florida- “Always a dream school of mine.”

SMU- “The coaches treat me like a priority, they tell me come be legendary and change the program.”

Nebraska- “The new coaches show me love. They’re building something great there.”

Texas- “I have a really good relationship with the coaches. Seems like a great fit.”

Texas A&M- “The coaches love me and make me feel like a priority.”

MY TAKE: Right now I think Oklahoma is leading this recruitment after talking to Henderson and some other people. They’ve done a great job so far and he’s very comfortable in Norman. Oklahoma is recruiting him as a running back and an HB (their FB/TE hybrid).  I’d put Texas at #2, he loves the staff. One thing that could be an x-factor is where Henderson ends up playing, and where he wants to play in college. He’s 6’2 220 right now,  but he plays quarterback for his high school team. If he’s dead set on playing quarterback in college I think that could give a local school like SMU a shot at him. He’s much more likely to play outside linebacker or tight end, and if he plays there I think he’s Texas or Oklahoma bound as of today.

• Like 1

Visitors for this weekend from IT

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): The first pledge of 2020 lives down the street. He'll probably walk.

RB Zach Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX): It's a big deal anytime Zach Evans is on campus. Every single time. Have the o-line blow open some holes and get the running game going.

OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX) The early A&M pledge is just another one of the good-to-great OL crop in-state for 2020. Texas offered hours before he committed to Jimbo Fisher. They knew the commitment was coming, they just wanted to get their name in the hat for down the road.

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner (Sugar Land, TX): The other early A&M pledge in Footwork King's car is another good guard prospect. Same story as Chibuzo and they even committed to A&M on the same day. He's been hearing from UT quite a bit of late, and is also being pursued by OU. There are a lot of options in state but this is a recruitment that could heat up.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX): He's been such a priority for a while we all know the deal here. He'll have a thorough process and make a well informed decision. It will likely boil down to UT versus Stanford. UT needs a lot of small positive interactions over time and this is the opportunity for one more.

OL Cedric Melton, Klein Cain (Houston, TX): He's a bit of a developmental project they've been keeping tabs on for a while. He has a great 4i frame but projects better to offensive tackle. The kid loves UT. I think they already suspect he's going to be someone who breaks out as a senior.

OL Logan Parr, O’Connor (San Antonio, TX): The other 2020 pledge isn't missing the Big 12 Championship semifinal.

C Braedon Nutter, Memorial (Tomball, TX): Herb Hand likes him at center but he talks with both Hand and Oscar Giles. His projection is pretty clearly offense and he'll play on whatever side of the ball he's needed. He says his offer from Colorado was as a defensive tackle and the one from U of H is for center. Schools he hears from the most include Arkansas, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Purdue, and some Ivy's.

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge (Houston, TX): Stud. I've had a couple college coaches tell me he could have a DeMarvin Leal type jump from his junior to senior year. This kid is really important to the success of the 2020 haul. Texas has been on him about as long as anyone. Mom gave up her profession to spend more time with her children, so, how far do you think she'll want him to go for school?

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ): Blue chip. One of the best defensive backs in the nation. Texas is Raising Arizona after snagging Smith and Liebrock in 2019 and looking at Ringo. Former Horn, Bryant Westbrook, is his DB coach. Getting him to the ATX this early is an underrated data point.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX): At 6-foot-1, 170, Keaontay's little brother is starting to look like the college prospect we always thought he'd be. From a recruiting standpoint, the young slot is hearing from Washington and Utah along with his half dozen offers, but this is what I call a layup.

21 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm surprised their QB (Gunnar Capps) reports zero offers from any level of college football.  He does have a bit of a short arm delivery.  Anyone on here seen him play live?

This the qb that shared hidden camera nudes around the school of a 14 yo freshman girl. Her and her mom protested and complained but you know how those things go in a small East Texas shitburg that's good at football and flea markets