Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah Grinch might be a mediocre recruiter, but the dude can coach. The question is whether the way Riley structures his program will allow him to work.

I don’t know man, it’s really tough to know what was his work. The sooner db’s played like shit but we’re highly ranked. We should know right away how good a coach he is. 

We’re going to all be watching TO, to me this is a big year for Orlando. I expect improvement to an elite defense this year. 

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

We’re going to all be watching TO, to me this is a big year for Orlando. I expect improvement to an elite defense this year. 

I’d take “slightly better” this year....he did lose something like 9 starters. Yes, most of the losses will be replaced by more physically talented players, but they will be inexperienced. I expect the jump to elite to happen in 2020 or maybe even 2021 depending on what happens with LB & DL recruiting. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

....and just a “slightly better” defense means we win 10-11 games and the B12. 

If experience is the only reason they won’t be elite to start the season then I expect them to be elite come December 2019.

Edited by USMCHorn

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

If experience is the only reason they won’t be elite to start the season then I expect them to be elite come December 2019.

How bout having almost no elite personnel at LB or DL? I don’t buy that Roach will be elite and Coburn may come on but we don’t know yet. Graham looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. We have basically nothing at LB. our best ILB hasn’t really logged many game time snaps at ILB and there’s very little behind him. Ossai has a chance to be really, really good and that’s about it. Neither of those position groups are anywhere near elite.  experience is a big part of it, but it’s not the only part.

If one side of the ball will be elite in 2019, it’s going to have to be the offense.

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How bout having almost no elite personnel at LB or DL? I don’t buy that Roach will be elite and Coburn may come on but we don’t know yet. Graham looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. We have basically nothing at LB. our best ILB hasn’t really logged many game time snaps at ILB and there’s very little behind him. Ossai has a chance to be really, really good and that’s about it. Neither of those position groups are anywhere near elite.  experience is a big part of it, but it’s not the only part.

If one side of the ball will be elite in 2019, it’s going to have to be the offense.

Everything you said is basically a knock on their experience and depth, both of which can be worked on throughout the season by giving the players more reps. The offense should be elite day 1.

8 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Everything you said is basically a knock on their experience and depth, both of which can be worked on throughout the season by giving the players more reps. The offense should be elite day 1.

Honestly, with the guys we have, I don't think the LBs can be elite. We're gunning for above-average there. The DL has a chance if guys play to their full potential in a way they haven't yet.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, with the guys we have, I don't think the LBs can be elite. We're gunning for above-average there. The DL has a chance if guys play to their full potential in a way they haven't yet.

I agree. But I think the defense as a whole can be elite still come December. LB play will be above average, but at the end of the day in this conference we just need elite NB play, which Texas will have.

Edited by USMCHorn

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ossai will be very good. Shark and Caleb Johnson have a chance and I'm expecting great things out of Overshown.

58 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Shark and Ossai will make this an above average to good unit. McCullough was one of the breakout players of the spring, so I am not as concerned with LB as others. If we can find a solid third option we will be fine. Our DL is deep and should be above average. Just getting Hager off the field immediately makes us better. I think Roach and Omenihu is a wash. Graham should be much more consistent on the other side.

Edited by Vertigo

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Guess we'll find out this year. It's obvious Hurts doesn't have the arm talent of the other two, but Riley has shown he can coach. That said, fuck'em. 2-0.

Coach has put his team in a position to beat Riley's offense 4 straight games. They've only won 2 but we were in position to beat the heisman winning, 1st pick of draft 4 straight times.

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Coach has put his team in a position to beat Riley's offense 4 straight games. They've only won 2 but we were in position to beat the heisman winning, 1st pick of draft 4 straight times.

Moral victories are TexAgs' domain, not ours.

Lest we forgot, blOU's defense was what ultimately sealed our fate in the Big 12 title game. We were tied to start the fourth quarter and never scored another point. Hurts, Murray, Mayfield, it doesn't matter who their QB is when our own offense can't score,

• Like 1

Our coaches have to reload and win with inexperienced guys if we ever want to be a power. OU has done and continues to do it and we have to get past them to matter on the national stage. There is no team in the Big 12 outside of OU that should have as potent an offense as we should have. We have more on-paper talent on D than anyone else. If we are losing games because all our other positions can't blow out our opponents to overcome a mediocre LB corp, then we are in for a long run of 'almost'.

Edited by rickyspub
OU sux

Mike Roach: Recruiting notes from the road

—The May 4th official visit weekend appears to be shaping up nicely. Jake Majors told me that he planned on making his official visit that weekend along with Logan Parr. Both Majors and Parr have been working on Cy-Ridge DL Vernon Broughton, who is also expected to take his official that weekend. Majors and Parr are both all in on Texas, and they’ve been really strong recruiters behind the scenes. I’m told that Broughton connected with the pair of linemen and Hudson Card during the spring game and having them along on the visit will be big for Texas.

—I’d expect there to be another visitor that weekend, but I can’t say who yet. The visit plans aren’t set in stone, and the prospect asked us to wait to report. As soon as plans are confirmed and we are given the go-ahead, I can let the cat out of the bag.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson will also take his official visit during that weekend, and Mookie Cooper will take an unofficial visit. Thompson recently tripped to Auburn, and he has a few other official visits to map out. I think Texas sits in a very good position for him, but I’m told that there is also some considerable buzz around the Tigers. I expect him to take some trips before making a summer decision.

—I checked with sources on Clemson graduate transfer Tevian Feaster, and right now it looks like there isn’t much there between Feaster and the Texas staff. As always, there is a vetting process that needs to take place, and Feaster just announced his intentions to transfer a few days ago. Texas is playing with tight numbers, and Feaster would be coming into a situation where he would likely be behind Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington. I’ll keep digging and update when I know more.

—I spoke to a source near Duncanville QB Ja'Quinden Jackson. Jackson hardly talks to media, but I’m told there is still a lot of confidence in Jackson ending up in Austin. I would go so far as to say they are the leader for him at this time, but it sounds like he intends to stretch his recruitment to signing day.

—Texas offered 2021 Lake Travis tight end Lake McRee yesterday.  I saw McRee in action today, and he fits what Texas wants to do at the tight end position.  With Garrett Wilson gone, McRee will be Hudson Card's top weapon on offense.  McRee maintains that he wants to explore all of his options, but he also made it clear that the Texas offer was special for him.  I put in a crystal ball prediction for Texas, and I think they will land him if they pursue him.

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lest we forgot, blOU's defense was what ultimately sealed our fate in the Big 12 title game. We were tied to start the fourth quarter and never scored another point. Hurts, Murray, Mayfield, it doesn't matter who their QB is when our own offense can't score,

GTFO. No one is accepting moral victories. This staff is .500 vs ou. They have put us in position and beat them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Recruiting notes from the road

Hide contents

—The May 4th official visit weekend appears to be shaping up nicely. Jake Majors told me that he planned on making his official visit that weekend along with Logan Parr. Both Majors and Parr have been working on Cy-Ridge DL Vernon Broughton, who is also expected to take his official that weekend. Majors and Parr are both all in on Texas, and they’ve been really strong recruiters behind the scenes. I’m told that Broughton connected with the pair of linemen and Hudson Card during the spring game and having them along on the visit will be big for Texas.

—I’d expect there to be another visitor that weekend, but I can’t say who yet. The visit plans aren’t set in stone, and the prospect asked us to wait to report. As soon as plans are confirmed and we are given the go-ahead, I can let the cat out of the bag.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson will also take his official visit during that weekend, and Mookie Cooper will take an unofficial visit. Thompson recently tripped to Auburn, and he has a few other official visits to map out. I think Texas sits in a very good position for him, but I’m told that there is also some considerable buzz around the Tigers. I expect him to take some trips before making a summer decision.

—I checked with sources on Clemson graduate transfer Tevian Feaster, and right now it looks like there isn’t much there between Feaster and the Texas staff. As always, there is a vetting process that needs to take place, and Feaster just announced his intentions to transfer a few days ago. Texas is playing with tight numbers, and Feaster would be coming into a situation where he would likely be behind Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington. I’ll keep digging and update when I know more.

—I spoke to a source near Duncanville QB Ja'Quinden Jackson. Jackson hardly talks to media, but I’m told there is still a lot of confidence in Jackson ending up in Austin. I would go so far as to say they are the leader for him at this time, but it sounds like he intends to stretch his recruitment to signing day.

—Texas offered 2021 Lake Travis tight end Lake McRee yesterday.  I saw McRee in action today, and he fits what Texas wants to do at the tight end position.  With Garrett Wilson gone, McRee will be Hudson Card's top weapon on offense.  McRee maintains that he wants to explore all of his options, but he also made it clear that the Texas offer was special for him.  I put in a crystal ball prediction for Texas, and I think they will land him if they pursue him.

No way Feaster is behind Whittington in the slim chance that he comes here. In fact it would probably be 1A) Ingram and 1B) Feaster (similar to Watson and Ingram split).

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No way Feaster is behind Whittington in the slim chance that he comes here. In fact it would probably be 1A) Ingram and 1B) Feaster (similar to Watson and Ingram split).

This. Plus both Ingram and Whittington have a history of missing games because of injuries. Feaster would start IMO.

38 minutes ago, Goodman said:

GTFO. No one is accepting moral victories. This staff is .500 vs ou. They have put us in position and beat them. 

Goddamned right. We're not where we want to be yet, but OU is hardly some juggernaut standing in our way. Herman has already beaten them a couple of times, and is quite likely to do so even more regularly as he gets his own talent into the pipeline. They're the ones who should be worried, not Texas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hot fucking take.

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Next year’s draft isn’t going to be magically better. Strong didn’t recruit well enough or win enough to have anyone drafted that high. 

Yep. It’ll be slim pickings again.

Draft possibilities: Collin Johnson, Roach, Brandon Jones, Parker Braun, Cosmi (if he leaves early). 

Maaaaybe: shackleford, McCulloch

And that’s pretty much it. Will be lucky if we have a single guy taken in the first three rounds. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Draft possibilities: Collin Johnson, Roach, Brandon Jones, Parker Braun, Cosmi (if he leaves early). 

And that’s pretty much it. Will be lucky if we have a single guy taken in the first three rounds. 

Maybe Dev. Duv.  He'll probably test well at the combine.

Interested to see if that one guy still thinks the draft won't matter to Ringo now that UGA has the 1st round Baker  vs. 7th round Boyd contrast to sell on top of the draft pitch they already had. 

The draft is a pitch our coaches are going to have to fight constantly. Hopefully with all the practice they'll get pretty good at countering it. The obvious spin is selling how successful the team was even without elite players, but that's only a start

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We will lucky to have more than 1 or 2 people drafted. 

Collin Johnson and Brandon Jones but both will be very late rounds. WR just don’t have the value anymore, and Jones will need a big year. 

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Maybe Dev. Duv.  He'll probably test well at the combine.

forgot about him, but he only has like 560 career receiving yards. Unless she has a huge year, he won’t even be invited to he combine. 

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

I mean, we've had back to back top 3 classes even in this "drought", y'all chill. Just win college games. 

Most of us, besides Bruh man, aren’t worried about it. Just pointing out that the draft drought will last until our 2018 guys are eligible in the 2021 draft.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Interested to see if that one guy still thinks the draft won't matter to Ringo now that UGA has the 1st round Baker  vs. 7th round Boyd contrast to sell on top of the draft pitch they already had. 

The draft is a pitch our coaches are going to have to fight constantly. Hopefully with all the practice they'll get pretty good at countering it. The obvious spin is selling how successful the team was even without elite players, but that's only a start

"We're still working through the players we didn't recruit. Houston had four kids drafted, and that's Houston." Done.

• Like 8

Definitely won't help recruiting, but this year's draft showing is also partly because we had so many JRs go early last year. But if this continues for another year or two, it's gonna get hard to argue against negative pitches about the staff's "talent development"

Bright side is that if we can win a Sugar Bowl with only 2 late round draft picks, imagine what we do if/when we have elite NFL prospects on the team as upperclassmen. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Definitely won't help recruiting, but this year's draft showing is also partly because we had so many JRs go early last year. But if this continues for another year or two, it's gonna get hard to argue against negative pitches about the staff's "talent development"

Bright side is that if we can win a Sugar Bowl with only 2 late round draft picks, imagine what we do if/when we have elite NFL prospects on the team as upperclassmen. 

Until/unless it’s the staff’s own guys that don’t get drafted high, recrutingwill be fine. We’re gonna have one more year of bad draft selections and then we’ll have plenty of high picks after that for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Until/unless it’s the staff’s own guys that don’t get drafted high, recrutingwill be fine. We’re gonna have one more year of bad draft selections and then we’ll have plenty of high picks after that for the foreseeable future.

I get it, but rivals will still say Herman and co had 2 years to develop talented recruits (Strong's classes weren't ranked that low by the media) and didn't produce much. Not saying it's right, but some recruits may listen.

Agree that winning games fixes all this though and the 2018 class should produce some high picks