Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Reveal hidden contents

Even though spring football is behind us, I'm told behind the scenes that the Texas personnel staff is still looking to bolster next year's roster and they are intent on succeeding. It's a no-stone-unturned approach and it's a route that paid dividends last year. For example, while everybody knew the Horns were recruiting grad transfer offensive tackle Calvin Anderson from Rice a year ago, the Horns somewhat quietly added running back Tre Watson last off-season, too.

Watson's addition didn't get the attention or fanfare of Anderson's, probably because left tackle was such a gaping hole for the Horns. But Watson was a key figure in the Horns' 10-win season nonetheless. He provided the offense with both toughness and much-needed experience to complement true freshman Keaontay Ingram and true sophomore Daniel Young who didn't perhaps blossom as well as expected last season.

So what positions are the Horns' staff looking at? Obviously, linebacker is the one most talked about. The Horns need either a) a more experienced middle linebacker or b) for 2018 signee Ayodele Adeoye to step forward and own the position. Adeoye made some steps this spring, but he's clearly not all the way there. It's the job of the Texas personnel staff not to leave such a thing to chance.

But it's not only at linebacker where Texas might pursue a grad transfer. There are several spots where Texas could still use better personnel that ultimately might be available via the transfer portal. Examples: Perhaps a more experienced back-up QB to compete with Casey Thompson for at least a year. Or maybe a more experienced block-first tight end/h-back. It's all conjecture until the personnel staff actually identifies and brings grad transfers as recruits onto campus.

Yet it's important to note that it is a tactic that is being considered and pursued. And, I think that is one of the biggest assets of the program as a whole - the personnel staff has shown a willingness to do whatever it takes to acquire talent to win now, and not just focus on winning later. If Texas can somehow add contributors as good as Anderson and Watson this off-season on top of all of the burgeoning underclassmen who are still getting better, it's going to make Texas a tougher team come fall.

Mike Roach's report last night on John Tyler athlete Kitan Crawford made me think about deep East Texas (not including the Golden Triangle) recruiting for the Horns. Texas simply hasn't done much in the region in the last couple of years. But it's not just a Longhorn issue. No other major conference power has really "owned" the region either. In the last couple of years, the Horns have signed Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown from the area. If you want to include Huntsville, which is becoming more and more a far-away suburb of Houston, then T'Vondre Sweat could be added.

But that's it. Facts are, the sheer volume of players in Houston and DFW, and even San Antonio and Central Texas, are just dwarfing the number of players in East Texas these days. But that doesn't mean the quality of players is down in East Texas. So when a true standout like Crawford makes his way into the public eye, he's done so against the usual stiff East Texas competition. East Texas may not be what it used to be in terms of prospects. But it's still where Earl Campbell and Billy Sims, and countless other elite football players called home.

A+ Bobby!  Great Work!!  

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Why have ETX prospects fallen off? Have California transplants ruined that part of the state too? 

Widespread economic decline couldn't have helped. Why raise a family in ETX when you could provide them a better life with a more stable income in Houston/ATX/Dallas? For example, Beaumont has fewer people than it did in 1960.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Why have ETX prospects fallen off? Have California transplants ruined that part of the state too? 

Jeff Traylor is gobbling them all up. We are just getting owned out there. Herman is going to have to do something drastic like assign Giles to that region to turn the tide.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Let me summarize Bobby

.... great fucking insight there.  Someone put him in a nursing home please.  24/7 has gone to pure shit.

I don’t know if I should rep or neg you for summarizing that bullshit. Do you get rep for turning bullshit into shitty fertilizer? Or negged for handling the bullshit? Hmmm

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Let me summarize Bobby...

Bobby's told Texas is looking to bolster it's roster.  Except Texas isn't actually pursuing anyone that he knows of.  But they found two players last spring, so they may look again.  But he's not sure what position, whether it's LB or TE, until they actually start looking for grad transfers.  So we'll know if Texas is looking to bolster it's roster when they actually start pursuing players which they currently are not.  

Texas hasn't recruited east Texas except they did with Overshown, Ingram, Sweat.  Other programs also haven't recruited east Texas.  Big cities produce a bigger pool of talented players where Texas has had success.  Texas will recruit talented east Texas prospects like Kitan Crawford.  So basically Texas doesn't recruit east Texas except when they do.

.... great fucking insight there.  Someone put him in a nursing home please.  24/7 has gone to pure shit.

That’ll be $9.95 and GFY

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Chances of an Ethan Pouncey Texas offer this week? I think Coach Washington at least needs to keep him warm with Kimber off the board. 

They appear to like Rogers and Crawford more. One coach on staff loves Crawford. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Milton's dad posted a top seven in no particular order; LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Texas

I think OU and Georgia lead, with LSU running third 

Hopefully those schools will pony up to keep him away from OU

39 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

His older sister was a freshman on the women’s Basketball team this past year, believe she was the top recruit in the country for her class. 

He has a good frame and probably the baseline athleticism to potentially be a tackle, but he's extremely raw even when compared to someone like Javonne Shepherd. I don't think he'll be a take. 

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like Princely will OV on May 4 as well.

I'm going to try to keep a running list going: 

OV: Princely Umanmielen , Vernon Broughton, Chad Lindberg, Chris Thompson

UOV: Mookie Cooper, Zach Evans

I'm sure there are others; those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm going to try to keep a running list going: 

OV: Princely Umanmielen , Vernon Broughton, Chad Lindberg, Chris Thompson

UOV: Mookie Cooper, Zach Evans

I'm sure there are others; those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head

Evans should have a permanent asterisk next to his name because it's always a coin flip as to whether he'll actually follow through and visit.

I think we'll see some combination of Parr, Majors, and Garth on the OV list as well to recruit Lindberg.

Just now, Machinator said:

Evans should have a permanent asterisk next to his name because it's always a coin flip as to whether he'll actually follow through and visit.

I think we'll see some combination of Parr, Majors, and Garth on the OV list as well to recruit Lindberg.

And Card might as well be an auto-add in the UOV category.

• Like 1

A couple more May 4 things:

Logan Parr and Jake Majors will OV that weekend.

Jaylen Garth is expected to as well, but he is taking the SAT that weekend so it's not locked in.

Alabama DB commit Jahquez Robinson will OV that weekend.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the groundbreaking of the South End Zone project will occur that weekend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A couple more May 4 things:

Logan Parr and Jake Majors will OV that weekend.

Jaylen Garth is expected to as well, but he is taking the SAT that weekend so it's not locked in.

Alabama DB commit Jahquez Robinson will OV that weekend.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the groundbreaking of the South End Zone project will occur that weekend.

Running May 4 List: 

OV: Princely Umanmielen* , Vernon Broughton, Chad Lindberg, Chris Thompson, Logan Parr, Jake Majors, Jaylen Garth*, Jahquez Robinson

UOV: Mookie Cooper, Zach Evans*

Rivals fluff piece about Ringo's trip to UGA. INB4 bEsT FoOtBaLl In tHe NaTiOn.

Spoiler

A lot of high-end prospects attended Georgia’s spring game last weekend and one of the top priorities there was five-star cornerback 

He had been to Athens before but the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro standout said it was important to get back there to keep building relationships. He did that and more.

“It was really good to see the spring game at Georgia,” Ringo said. “It was great to see coach Kirby (Smart) coach and the other coaches who would be coaching me if I were to go there. It was just great overall scenery.

“It felt pretty good to see the players I was with last time and to build more of a relationship with the coaches. It did feel like more like home for me and I’ll most definitely be taking an official there.”

The message from the coaching staff was clear and one that resonated with the five-star cornerback.

“They want me to come in and make an impact on the team my freshman year,” Ringo said. “I would have to come out and work for it but they want me to be a big part of their defense.

“It’s SEC football, it’s the best football in the nation and they always have players drafted into the league also. It’s very good and being able to be around other top-notch guys in my class, building that relationship and also seeing them at camps and competing with them. I liked it a lot, guys like Kendall Milton, Paris Johnson, that made it a lot better, too.”

So far, the Scottsdale Saguaro standout said he has planned official visits to Georgia and Texas, definitely two of the frontrunners in his recruitment. Other trips could happen but nothing has been finalized by Ringo yet.

It isn't mentioned here, but the one big thing that UGA can really beat us on (besides bagmen) is the draft. Since his first trip to Austin that has been his biggest hesitation with us. It's not looking like Boyd is going to help us out with it either. I still think we win out in the end. Hopefully Bryant Westbrook can help us out with the NFL pitch and Green/Cook look good this year.