Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It was a question. An attempt to become more informed.

Fair enough. But there were loads of guys like him out there, it seemed like he was sought out because he had this connection. But perhaps that was a bad example. I was musing more on the value of legacies in general, if there might not be good reasons to take that into consideration.

The uninformed part was only meant as to your characterization of Rodriguez. He was as good as the staff could hope to do in their awful situation.

I can’t really figure out what it is you’re trying to ask, but it sounds like your question is there a reason to take a legacy over someone you think is a better prospect? And the answer is no.

Legacy shouldn’t really matter, it’s just a small bonus if a guy who’s your #1 at the position happens to be a legacy because he’s probably less likely to transfer and a little easier to recruit.

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can’t really figure out what it is you’re trying to ask, but it sounds like your question is there a reason to take a legacy over someone you think is a better prospect? And the answer is no.

Legacy shouldn’t really matter, it’s just a small bonus if a guy who’s your #1 at the position happens to be a legacy because he’s probably less likely to transfer and a little easier to recruit.

Yeah that was the question exactly. Or even if a legacy should be preferred over a basically equal prospect, if being a legacy actually made it a safer recruit because maybe they are more likely to be "bleed for the program" or whatever. But I guess you sort of confirm this with the "less likely to transfer" part.

And yeah I guess it does give you a leg up recruiting him in the first place.

Edited by Valmy77

Justin Wells: Catching Up with Kitan Crawford

TYLER, TX -- You have to get up early to see the John Tyler Lions practice.

Sessions start at 6 a.m., but Kitan Crawford, the rising corner for Cujo has already warmed up. Sporting a burnt orange undershirt, Crawford is in full workout mode even though it's still dark outside.

He knows he has to be the example. His senior year will give him this opportunity.

"I want to make sure I'm the leader on the team, be the big brother my teammates need," said Crawford. "I want to make the best decisions so the younger guys will know when it's their turn."

Crawford grabbed an interception on the second play of the scrimmage while playing zone and reading the quarterbacks eyes. He slid inside under the slot and housed the pick for six.

That 10.5 100m from track and field this spring is looking nice, but his change of direction and fluidity in flipping his hips is something else.

Texas A&M, TCU, and Virginia Tech have recently extended offers to the 6-foot, 190-pound athlete that'll line up at running back along with corner for JTHS in 2019. More and more schools are noticing the promising young athlete.

"Texas hits me up the most," said Crawford. "Then Tennessee, TCU, and Baylor. I'm not hitting any camps this summer, but I want to get back to Austin soon."

How does June 21st-22nd sound? That's when it looks like Crawford will trip to UT again, possibly on an official visit along with fellow DB target Jahari Rogers. That could be the weekend where Texas wraps up a pair of elite athletes at the cornerback spot.

I really like where the Horns stand with Crawford right now. Jason Washington is stopping by JTHS right now. Derek Warehime watched Crawford practice last week. Kitan loves how UT is making him a priority.

As for his timeline, I'd expect something shortly after his OV to Austin, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he made his decision any day now. UT has had success at John Tyler High School; Earl Campbell, Tim Crowder, and Aaron Ross come to mind. Don't be shocked if Crawford joins that group.

He was once that younger guy and he knows it's his turn.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah that was the question exactly. Or even if a legacy should be preferred over a basically equal prospect, if being a legacy actually made it a safer recruit because maybe they are more likely to be "bleed for the program" or whatever. But I guess you sort of confirm this with the "less likely to transfer" part.

And yeah I guess it does give you a leg up recruiting him in the first place.

I'd say if two guys are truly tied, then the staff may lean towards a legacy because he's less likely to transfer (especially with all the new waivers the NCAA is giving out), but it's rare to have two prospects be truly equal.

From TFB:

Texas Staff Visit | Jacobe Covington
– Super K

You’re already familiar with one defensive back at Saguaro High School (Scottsdale, AZ), namely, Kelee Ringo.

Another name to know though is that of 2020 DB, Jacobe Covington. We’ve been following Covington pretty closely for the past few months as he’s been heavily recruited by Oklahoma, even visiting Norman on a couple of occasions.

But it looks like Texas now has their eye on him, as well. Covington told me that he’s been in communication with the Texas staff and added that the coach Orlando and coach Washington will be by his school later this week to see him (and obviously Ringo).

Covington is a fantastic looking defensive back. I saw him this past winter and he looks like a prototypical NFL cornerback. He plays corner but is also open to playing safety.

He and Ringo are close so landing Covington could help with Ringo but I think those kind of things can be a little overstated at times. In this case, I don’t know that it will make much difference. And, I don’t know that it matters because Covington is a player in his own right.

Covington grew up a bit of an LSU fan and based on my interaction with him and his mother, I think the Sooners are his current leader. However, Oklahoma is nearly full at the defensive backs spot. And depending on which way Bryson Washington’s commitment breaks, that may leave a nice opening to land someone like Covington.

I don’t know yet whether an offer will happen but I certainly think it’s possible. I know Texas has had tabs on him for a while now.

Linebacker Grad Transfer | Update
By: Super K

As you know by now, Florida linebacker graduate transfer and TX native, Kylan Johnson (Skyline) visited Texas this past weekend.

I noted over the weekend that he is indeed a take for the Longhorns.

I am told that the visit went well and that the staff expects Johnson to end up at Texas pending an academic issue. Since Johnson has graduated this issue has more to do with ensuring his entry into the Masters program and Texas.

However, the person I spoke with did not foresee this being anything that would prevent Johnson from coming to Texas, rather just something that will take brief period of time to handle.

Linebacker is a position of need for Texas and the immediate help would be welcomed.

But this also points to what I mentioned in my recent linebacker 2020 recruiting breakdown, namely that more offers probably need to go out this spring.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I already feel plenty weird about devoting so much time and effort into following recruits and recruiting drama and having to read what $9.95ers have to say. The last thing I need to add to that is to get caught up in the drama between $9.95ers and their co-workers, bosses, and rivals.

Trust the Hamm.

• Like 1

Kalen Thornton’s brothers didn’t really pan out.  I guess Kyle was alright.  Kenton transferred out IIRC.

Studdard and the Sendleins were good takes.  I think Austin had potential, but couldn’t stay healthy.

Kirk is talented, but always hurt.  Collin has been pretty good.

I like legacy takes.  Probably should’ve taken the first of Brewer’s kids since our QB recruiting has been ass for too long.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I'm not sure how Stan Drayton is involved in this, but I'm sure he's got a good story behind it.

He has strong (and not incorrect) opinions on Orlando as LB coach. I'm trying to think how to phrase this...Stan Drayton is the only thing standing in the way of Todd Orlando being Golfclap's El Guapo. In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face.  For some, shyness might be their El Guapo.  For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For Golfclap, Stan Drayton is his El Guapo, and Todd Orlando the LB coach is his Jefe.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He has strong (and not incorrect) opinions on Orlando as LB coach. I'm trying to think how to phrase this...Stan Drayton is the only thing standing in the way of Todd Orlando being Golfclap's El Guapo. In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face.  For some, shyness might be their El Guapo.  For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For Golfclap, Stan Drayton is his El Guapo, and Todd Orlando the LB coach is his Jefe.

appropriately enough, this deserves a golf clap.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He has strong (and not incorrect) opinions on Orlando as LB coach. I'm trying to think how to phrase this...Stan Drayton is the only thing standing in the way of Todd Orlando being Golfclap's El Guapo. In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face.  For some, shyness might be their El Guapo.  For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For one, telling black people apart is his El Guapo. For Golfclap, Stan Drayton is his El Guapo, and Todd Orlando the LB coach is his Jefe.

Added one more for you.

• Like 2

I'm all for Orlando proving me wrong and developing our current guys into high octane versions of Emeke Egbule or Leroy Godfrey. Every position group on defense has shown improvement and development during the Herman era, except for LB. It honestly hasn't been a lack of talent/athleticism or scheme it's been technique and scouting/film work that's lacked. I will say that it certainly looks like the 2019 class LB was a big leap forward, and still looks to be a group that should produce A LOT of starts over the next few years with or without Floyd. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:
1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our LB recruiting has been a head scratcher 2 out of the last 3 years. 

Uhh?

[Burt] I can't believe we recruited a 5-star LB talent from California that had a latent spinal defect.  This staff makes such boneheaded moves! [/Macklin]

Burt's probably referring to the fact that our sole off-the-ball linebacker take in 2018 might just be Anthony Wheeler 2.0, and our LB recruiting thus far in 2020 consists of swinging for the fences on a national recruit who has all the big dogs after him, whiffing on the 2020 version of Gbenda, and a Bishop Dunne player with questions about his ability to move in space.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Uhh?

You think taking Adeoye as the only true LB in the 2018 class after taking 0 HS LBs the year before was a good idea?

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

[Burt] I can't believe we recruited a 5-star LB talent from California that had a latent spinal defect.  This staff makes such boneheaded moves! [/Macklin]

Lol. Because 2019 was obviously one of the 2 I was referring to.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You think taking Adeoye as the only true LB in the 2018 class after taking 0 HS LBs the year before was a good idea?

To be fair, there's some FCB issues with this, too.  The only "big" miss by this staff I can remember on someone who should've been identified, prioritized, and landed is Dashaun White.  Are there others that I'm forgetting?

If Charlie's staff hadn't totally fucked the pooch on linebacker recruiting post-Malik, this staff's results wouldn't look as bad.  We've got young talent, it's just not ready to play, yet.  For the folks we've put on the field, we've had two big problems.  First, our developed depth chart consists of guys playing linebacker that either can't play the position well (Wheeler in 17 and 18) or who have bodies for other positions (McCulloch in '18 after spending the offseason beefing him up to play B-backer, and Roach in '18).  All of these are a Charlie problem, although Yancy and Co. should've spent the summer getting McCulloch ready for Mac instead of B-backer.  And they should've spent the summer getting Roach ready to play 4i instead of Rover.  Woof on both of those choices.  [Additional Note:  They've probably should've spent 17 and 18 summers getting Hager ready to play B-backer, too (and they should've spent the '17 summer trying to convince Naashon Hughes to quit football).  But now we're pretty far down a coulda/woulda/shoulda wormhole.]

Because of issue one, we've had to resort to JUCO stopgaps who are getting thrown into the fire before they're ready (Gary Johnson; probably Caleb Johnson this year; likely the FL transfer, too).  And its obvious that guys coming out of JUCO that are good-enough talent-wise to help are few and far between.

Mike Roach: Texas commit Hudson Card talks senior season, recruiting for Texas

Hudson Card enters his senior season as a returning starter at quarterback. After playing slot receiver early in his career, Card was given the reins at quarterback last season as he led Lake Travis to the state semi-finals. Going into his second offseason as a quarterback, Card is focused on his leadership and adding weight. “It’s going good,” he said. “It gave me an opportunity to take hold and become that leader of the group. I know it’s my time now for sure. It’s been good just focusing on being a leader with the dudes and getting bigger in the weight room.”

Card’s first year at quarterback coincided with new offensive coordinator Will Stein. A former Texas assistant, Stein implemented his offense at Lake Travis in 2018. Card’s biggest focus this offseason is mastering the playbook. “I’d say the biggest thing is getting more used to the playbook,” he said. “Just getting to know that better and know everything about it is big. I’m just working all around.”

On the recruiting front, Card has been solid since the moment he committed. He’s been working behind the scenes to do some recruiting. The current class is made up exclusively of offensive commits, and Card likes the progress they are making in this cycle. “We’ve still got some guys that we’re working on, but we’re off to a good start so far,” he said. “We’ve got some ballers joining us. We just need to continue with that, and everything should work out.”

As Card continues to work on other recruits, his message to them is simple. “Why wouldn’t you want to live in Austin,” Card said. “It’s the best city. Texas football, there’s nothing like it. The program is headed in the right direction with Tom Herman, so just come join and bring us back on top.” At 6-foot-2.5, 179 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

21 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

To be fair, there's some FCB issues with this, too.  The only "big" miss by this staff I can remember on someone who should've been identified, prioritized, and landed is Dashaun White.  Are there others that I'm forgetting?

If Charlie's staff hadn't totally fucked the pooch on linebacker recruiting post-Malik, this staff's results wouldn't look as bad.  We've got young talent, it's just not ready to play, yet.  For the folks we've put on the field, we've had two big problems.  First, our developed depth chart consists of guys playing linebacker that either can't play the position well (Wheeler in 17 and 18) or who have bodies for other positions (McCulloch in '18 after spending the offseason beefing him up to play B-backer, and Roach in '18).  All of these are a Charlie problem, although Yancy and Co. should've spent the summer getting McCulloch ready for Mac instead of B-backer.  And they should've spent the summer getting Roach ready to play 4i instead of Rover.  Woof on both of those choices.  [Additional Note:  They've probably should've spent 17 and 18 summers getting Hager ready to play B-backer, too (and they should've spent the '17 summer trying to convince Naashon Hughes to quit football).  But now we're pretty far down a coulda/woulda/shoulda wormhole.]

Because of issue one, we've had to resort to JUCO stopgaps who are getting thrown into the fire before they're ready (Gary Johnson; probably Caleb Johnson this year; likely the FL transfer, too).  And its obvious that guys coming out of JUCO that are good-enough talent-wise to help are few and far between.

It’s not just about the misses. It’s the number of offers and lack of contingency plans, especially in comparison to offers and contingency plans we have set up for most other positions.

Bonitto was an outside backer, so he wouldn’t have solved our ILB problems. Charlie didn’t leave us in a great spot, that’s for sure. Getting GJ in 2017 was absolute money by Orlando. 

But only taking one ILB in 2018, especially an ILB who runs like a 4.9, was curious at best. We slow played White forever and failed to identify a Rover candidate we wanted to go after the whole cycle. Unsurprisingly, we now have no Rover on the roster and will likely be playing a guy who should be at Mac at Rover becuase of it.

now this year, Flowe is at the top of the list but hasn’t visited and even if he does visit, it’s still a total long shot. We already missed on White. The staff seems hot and cold with Scott, but even if we get him, he doesn’t have the speed for Rover and is a meh ILB prospect overall. And we just now offered that kid out of CA today. 

I get that it’s tough to recruit LB when your home state’s not giving you much, but the number of offers and guys we’ve recruited in 2018 and 2020 at ILB has definitely been a bit of a head scratcher so far. There’s still plenty of time for the staff to righ the ship for 2020, but as of yesterday, we only had 3 real targets for ILB: an LSU commit, an OOS 5 star, and a fall back in-state guy. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Nah. More likely to come from here:

09608206be3dd12f46c44f1464ba59f7.jpg

Akins Ford in Winder, GA. Old client of mine. They do no advertising, because every redneck in a 300 mile radius knows exactly who and where they are. Dwags to the bone. 

Oh I agree on the dealership. I was just looking for a red and black Raptor.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol. Because 2019 was obviously one of the 2 I was referring to.

2017 was a transition class and Texas got fucked on Murray because of Strong, but Herman adjusted with getting Johnson to fill a 2 year gap. They screwed the pooch on White, and Brown fucked us on Bonitto.

I wish they could have closed Henry, which would have helped make up for 2018.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

2017 was a transition class and Texas got fucked on Murray because of Strong, but Herman adjusted with getting Johnson to fill a 2 year gap. They screwed the pooch on White, and Brown fucked us on Bonitto.

I wish they could have closed Henry, which would have helped make up for 2018.

Should have taken Will Honas, and not had White visit without getting offered 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Should have taken Will Honas, and not had White visit without getting offered 

I can't tell if it's TO or Coach Herman, every year we've make some very questionable decisions on D in both recruiting and starters for Game 1. Also could not tell if our ability to blow every big lead we had this past season is on the O or the D.

52 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I can't tell if it's TO or Coach Herman, every year we've make some very questionable decisions on D in both recruiting and starters for Game 1. Also could not tell if our ability to blow every big lead we had this past season is on the O or the D.

Please, no August injuries or first game suspensions.  

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi:  Anthony Cook can't play in 1st Half vs La Tech due to 4th qtr targeting penalty in the Sugar Bowl.

Maryland, BYU and Cal Berkeley still sting.  Wish Mr. Cook were playing early to help set the tone but experience for another cb is and will be necessary too.