Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

11 hours ago, Goodman said:

I can't tell if it's TO or Coach Herman, every year we've make some very questionable decisions on D in both recruiting and starters for Game 1. Also could not tell if our ability to blow every big lead we had this past season is on the O or the D.

Its a mixed bag imo. Some coaching, some on talent, some on lack of depth, some on lack of experience closing ball games. We’ve sucked for quite a while

Edited by Revolution512

IT Recruiting (mostly) Q&A: 

Spoiler

Q: Guess I'll get it out of the way, over/under on May commits?

EN: I'd set it at 1.5. Many guys who have Texas out front enough to commit still seem intent on taking a visit or two.

/

Q: Why do you feel we take so much more time with commitments than other teams?

I'm not worried. Just asking the strategy?

EN: Part of it is being more particular about who they offer and offering less in general. They do care about culture fit. Not that others don't but until they have the culture tuned exactly how they want it like Bama they're not going to reach for kids who might not fit.

They take more time to evaluate the person as well as the player. 

Right now there is a tension in-state between UT/OU/A&M as kids are wanting to give all three schools a look, or at least two of them. 

They're just not pushy and this plays well with most prospects and parents -- Broughton's mom specifically mentioned appreciating that about Herman.

They could have many more players in the class right now if they wanted to, the quality just wouldn't be up to their expectations.

follow up q: 
This being said, would you also say that it's fair to assume that the kids that jump to other schools, early, were never really likely to be a part of Texas' class? When we start the cycle, Texas is in good shape with say 100 kids. Out of that 100, Texas is only going to take 25ish. So, when kids start committing early to this school or that, it's not necessarily a loss as they never were realistically being counted on as part of this class, as far as the staff is concerned. Is that a fair assessment?

If so, are there any that have popped, to date, or that are about to pop, that are going to be considered losses? If so, is it more a matter of the staff not being aggressive enough, when they should have been, or kids that Texas had a great shot at, but that also equally loved the school they ultimately committed to (50/50 type deals)?

EN: It's a delicate dance keeping recruits happy who are in different tiers: Priorities, offered but not being pushed for, not offered but in contact with, etc.

The worst miss so far is probably Jaylon Jones followed by Jalen Kimber. The only other miss I can think of is Mikey Henderson and OU was on him first and is a tremendous fit for him.

Jones was a bit of a surprise and one they got off his timeline. Kimber chose Georgia after visiting tons of other schools. 

Other than that, the in-state class is going fine.

/

Q: Any chance one of the OV guys this weekend commit?

EN: I'll almost always answer an 'any chance' question in the affirmative because you can't rule anything out in recruiting. Is it likely? No, not likely, but I think Broughton and Lindberg will be Horns by the end of summer at the latest.

/

Q: Who is the architect of our LB recruiting strategy and decisions?

While Herman is ultimately responsible, why does that position group in particular look inept compared to certain other groups on each side of the ball?

EN: Linebacker recruiting falls on the DC who is also the LB coach. 

The obvious answer but one that isn't an excuse is the state produces much more of the other positions. It was so easy to see that Jason Washington and Craig Naivar were going to kill it when they were hired because of what the state produces as much as for their recruiting ability. The opposite is happening to a degree at linebacker. Orlando isn't the recruiter those two are, though he's good in person on campus, and there's much less to choose from. Because of the demands of modern offenses you really need 6-1, 220 pound guys with running back athleticism. Those aren't easy to find.

They need to look OOS every cycle. 

Let's also keep in mind they're one class removed from a very good LB haul. 

They're still paying for an early strategic error or two, though.

/

Q: What are the negative pitches the staff is having to counter? DL deployment? Conference affiliation? Other?

EN: The big one is DL deployment. Haven't heard much else. Maybe post-draft we hear more about conference affiliation and lack of draft picks in the coming months. It's too late for that to work, imo.

/
Q: What's your read on Alfred Collins? Of the three big DL targets, he seems to be the one who should be a lock, but I can't get a good feel for that recruitment.

From most likely to least likely to end up in the class, would it go: (1) Broughton, (2) Collins, (3) Princely?

EN: I'd have Broughton #1 and then it's a coin flip. Princely's latest visit was very good. It's hard for me to see Collins going to one of UT's rivals. I can't see that but he's so quiet he makes for a tough read.

/

Q: Are there any positions where you would think about prioritizing JUCOs and grad transfers early, working under the assumption that 2020 is supposed to be "the year"?

Which position group(s) has you the most concerned for the 2020 recruiting cycle? The least?

What are the early position groups of strength for the 2021 in-state crop besides offensive line?

Is it coincidental that OU, A&M, and Texas all seem to be in a bit of a dry spell for commits right now, or is there something more to it?

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

JW: LB, maybe one CB. Always looking at OL. 

Most concern; DL. Got to get Broughton, Princely, Collins. Least concern; DB. 

Running back and linebacker. 

It’s just coincidental. It’s recruiting. The ebb and flow of a natural cycle. You’ll see an uptick with Texas once OVs begin. 

No comment.

/

Q: What’s the latest on Kylan Johnson?

EN: Will come down to whether or not he can get in to graduate school.

This isn't going to be a needle-moving development if they get him, unless they get him lighter, more athletic, and less stiff, and they won't have much time to do that.

In short, you guys shouldn't be spending too much time concerned on this.

/

Q: How hard are we pushing for Mookie, what with his commit to decommit to maybe recommit deal?

JW: They stay close to Mookie. They’ve built too good of a relationship not to. He’ll OV to Austin this fall, then we might know something.

/

Q: Will Nate Anderson get a Texas offer?

JW: I just don’t know. Depends on who Texas seems worthy of that fifth OL spot.

EN: I think so but remember he's on a pretty short timeline. If they're going to do it they should do it soon. And then what? Push the number to six? I guess if it means getting Evans you do that.

/

Q: Based on current trends what is Texas lacking in bringing the the studs on defensive line? It seems like every year we have one player that just gets away from us.

EN: They've recruited just okay at the position but nobody would have any concerns if they landed Leal last year. I'm going to see how they do this cycle rather than let one recruitment cloud my judgement. They should land the Big 3. If they don't then let's dissect what went wrong.

/

Q: Odds that the following will visit?

Johnny Wilson
Justin Flowe
Marshawn Lloyd
Sam Adams II

JW: Good.
Meh. 
Nah.
Nope. 

(just odds)

EN: 

80%
70%
70%
85% (I've asked him a few times and he always says he'll visit)

Interestingly his TE teammate, DJ Rogers, recently told me he's still in contact with Texas and plans to visit. He's in the Irv Smith mold (not as good) and would be an awesome take if they can get him. It would also allow them to move Hullaby to LB sooner.

/

Q: Got any early names for 2021 LBs? I know Blackshire but I kind of assumed he was going to end up at DL eventually.

EN: I have the need for (Trevion) Sneed.

Derrick Harris Jr. may be in line for an offer at B-backer. They really like him. Orlando is supposed to return later this month. 

There are some other running backs who might get looks at linebacker but they might be good enough to stick on offense. 

I like Barrett Carter from Georgia.

/

Q: List the teams in order most likely to sign the following prospects:

Zach Evans
Kendall Milton
Bijan Robinson
Jase McClellan

JW: 
Alabama 
Ohio State
Texas
OU

/

Q: In regards to LB, are we in research mode for ILB recruits now? Seems like Scott is a backup plan more than a premier target and I don't have real faith in any of the big time guys panning out. What do they want in terms of #'s at the overall LB position?

EN: They are always in research mode. 

There's a good chance Scott's best position is B-backer.

They want three but I expect them to look Juco. The number could also depend on Floyd's prognosis. There are schools that would clear him right now (which I find shameful) so there's still hope.

follow up q: If that is the case with Scott, is he a take? I get the sense you guys prefer Dobrah with Wooten as the backup.

EN: To be clear if they land him they do think he could play Mac but no, he's not a better B-backer prospect than Dorbah or Wooten (just picked up Wisconsin).

/

Q: Do you feel like linebacker recruiting in the state of Texas has become finding safety tweeners that need a year or two in the strength program in order to be ready to play linebacker at the D1 Level?

EN: It's by any means necessary. 

But what fans and people who get paid to write alike fail to miss is the body projection. A 6-2, 205 pound safety won't necessarily grow into being a 235 pound linebacker or even a 225 pound linebacker. That's just a lazy assumption. Some athletes will put on weight with ease (Kylan Johnson) while others find their body maxed out sooner. What can a player comfortably carry is a big question (and Kylan doesn't carry his weight comfortably as an example). Then you have to account for temperament and disposition. There's a difference between being a vicious hitter (Overshown) and playing physically in the box. 

Some safeties should be viewed as potential linebackers for sure. Same with running backs. But more often than not they're already in the right position and a school like Texas should be able to recruit real linebackers. I think they did well last cycle and will probably unearth some interesting options in the coming months.

/

Q: looks like chris thompson might actually be big enough to grow up to that 230-235 range...that seem right?

EN: He's filled out quite a bit in the last year with room for more. He and Ja'Quinden could both be linebackers.

/

Q: also is our little west coast swing over?

EN: I don't think so but ask me in July. Austin still has advantages for California kids other schools don't.

I consider Arizona West Coast for recruiting purposes but I wouldn't tell my Swedish relatives to go to Phoenix to experience the West Coast.

/

Q: Projected class size? Guessing this is the time of year there may be rumblings of a few (buried on the depth chart) on the way out of town this summer....

JW: 22-23. This number could change in 15 min.

/

Q: Blake Smith, from #ThaLake, is getting offer after offer and now they're coming from most of the bigger programs. LSU, Nebraska, Miami, etc are all recent offers. Not Texas good?

While we're in #ThaLake, Quinn Ewers.....Horn or nah?

EN: Smith is good and could definitely play at Texas, they just aren't in the market for a traditional TE this cycle.

Is Ewers going to start this year or nah?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

From a couple days ago. Don't know who the relevant prospect is.

Maybe a 2022 prospect we don’t know about yet. Could just be getting acquainted with the coaches in SA burbs. I don’t think the HS is that far from Logan Parr’s. 

Edited by GRHorn

Updated in-state composite post ESPN update, for those who care

1) Zach Evans
2) Demond Demas
3) Jase McClellan
4) Drew Sanders
5) RJ Mickens
6) Ja'Quinden Jackson
7) Jaylon Jones
😎 Chris Thompson Jr
9) Hudson Card
10) Vernon Broughton
11) Troy Omeire
12) Chad Lindberg
13) EJ Smith
14) Haynes King
15) Jaylen Garth
16) Malik Hornsby
17) Nate Anderson
18) Seth McGowan
19) Jake Majors
20) Jalen Kimber
21) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
22) Dwight McGlothern
23) Bryson Washington
24) Logan Parr
25) Lorando Johnson
26) Xavion Alford
27) Quentin Johnston
28) Alfred Collins
29) Jahari Rogers
30) Ty'kieast Crawford
31) Alec Bryant
32) Branard Wright
33) Prince Dorbah
34) Courtland Ford
35) Jerrin Thompson
36) Devon Achane
37) Collin Sullivan
38) James Sylvester
39) Princely Umanmielen
40) Garrett Hayes
41) Marvin Mims
42) Darius Snow
43) Michael Henderson
44) Kevontre Bradford
45) Josh White
46) Akinola Ogunbiyi
47) Ryan Watts
48) Avery Helm
49) Kitan Crawford
50) Jalin Conyers

Rivals: R100 DL Broughton recaps UT spring game, previews OV

Spoiler

Rivals100 DL Veron Broughton readies for Texas official, knows his top four

IN HIS OWN WORDS

"That (Texas spring game) was crazy. I can't even lie. It was crazy. I was chatting with Chad (Lindberg) and playing pool, conversating with the guys about what we all like. Coach (Oscar) Giles was going crazy, and when he saw me, I swear he went crazy. It was cool."

"At the A&M spring game, I was looking at the defense and how they were in a bunch of different schemes. I was watching Coach (Terry) Price out there coaching. I liked it and they're still up there. I noticed the different schemes and how they lined up, some stuff like that. I came toward the end of the game, but I went with my dad and it was nice letting him visit with the coaches and catch up with them."

"I've been talking with the (Alabama defensive) coordinator (Pete Golding). His push has been to come in and play with the best, and I've been hearing that from Alabama. They're cold and that says a lot."

"Seeing that they're (Ohio State) is after me ... I've heard a lot about their defensive line coach (Larry Johnson). Before I even heard anything about Ohio State, before they even offered, the one thing you hear about is their defensive line coach. He sends a lot of people to the league. It's special."

"My first official visit is May 4 (to Texas) and I want to see the coaches and make sure they're still showing love, which I know they will. I want to see the boys and see how they're doing, see if my parents like it. Both my mom and my dad are gonna be there, so I want to see how they feel and if my parents love you, then I'm gonna love you."

"After spring ball, I'm gonna put out a top five and toward the end of the summer, I'm gonna make that decision."

RIVALS REACTION

In chatting up Broughton back in February at RCS Houston, he named Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma as top teams. The Sooners have cooled a bit and have been replaced by Alabama and Ohio State in the four-star's lead group. Texas and Texas A&M have remained steady presences and it should come as no surprise both hosted the Rivals100 prospect for spring games last month.

This weekend looms large for the Longhorns in furthering their lead for the Houston area defensive lineman. It's clear he has a strong bond with Giles and the current commitments and top targets, and Broughton can be one of the headliners of this group in-state when it's all said and done.

Alabama and Ohio State are legitimate threats, but I'd lean toward the Aggies as the more formidable No. 2 in this race. Broughton does not want to stray far from home and Price caught his attention with the defense in the spring game. He's made a string of visits throughout the spring, so it's fair to label Texas A&M as a contender here.

It would not be surprising to see Broughton pop to Texas this weekend, but he seems resolute on releasing that top five later this month. From there, he will be on commitment watch as he inches closer and closer to a decision.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Rivals: R100 DL Broughton recaps UT spring game, previews OV

Hide contents

Rivals100 DL Veron Broughton readies for Texas official, knows his top four

IN HIS OWN WORDS

"That (Texas spring game) was crazy. I can't even lie. It was crazy. I was chatting with Chad (Lindberg) and playing pool, conversating with the guys about what we all like. Coach (Oscar) Giles was going crazy, and when he saw me, I swear he went crazy. It was cool."

"At the A&M spring game, I was looking at the defense and how they were in a bunch of different schemes. I was watching Coach (Terry) Price out there coaching. I liked it and they're still up there. I noticed the different schemes and how they lined up, some stuff like that. I came toward the end of the game, but I went with my dad and it was nice letting him visit with the coaches and catch up with them."

"I've been talking with the (Alabama defensive) coordinator (Pete Golding). His push has been to come in and play with the best, and I've been hearing that from Alabama. They're cold and that says a lot."

"Seeing that they're (Ohio State) is after me ... I've heard a lot about their defensive line coach (Larry Johnson). Before I even heard anything about Ohio State, before they even offered, the one thing you hear about is their defensive line coach. He sends a lot of people to the league. It's special."

"My first official visit is May 4 (to Texas) and I want to see the coaches and make sure they're still showing love, which I know they will. I want to see the boys and see how they're doing, see if my parents like it. Both my mom and my dad are gonna be there, so I want to see how they feel and if my parents love you, then I'm gonna love you."

"After spring ball, I'm gonna put out a top five and toward the end of the summer, I'm gonna make that decision."

RIVALS REACTION

In chatting up Broughton back in February at RCS Houston, he named Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma as top teams. The Sooners have cooled a bit and have been replaced by Alabama and Ohio State in the four-star's lead group. Texas and Texas A&M have remained steady presences and it should come as no surprise both hosted the Rivals100 prospect for spring games last month.

This weekend looms large for the Longhorns in furthering their lead for the Houston area defensive lineman. It's clear he has a strong bond with Giles and the current commitments and top targets, and Broughton can be one of the headliners of this group in-state when it's all said and done.

Alabama and Ohio State are legitimate threats, but I'd lean toward the Aggies as the more formidable No. 2 in this race. Broughton does not want to stray far from home and Price caught his attention with the defense in the spring game. He's made a string of visits throughout the spring, so it's fair to label Texas A&M as a contender here.

It would not be surprising to see Broughton pop to Texas this weekend, but he seems resolute on releasing that top five later this month. From there, he will be on commitment watch as he inches closer and closer to a decision.

We will get more than 1 commit next week. I doubt Broughton will pull the trigger, though.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is this guys all LSU or is he a guy they don't have room for and a chance to be this years Myron Warren?

I think LSU is taking a big DL class this cycle. They have two commits, and I assume they're holding two spots for Roy and Guillory.

9 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe a 2022 prospect we don’t know about yet. Could just be getting acquainted with the coaches in SA burbs. I don’t think the HS is that far from Logan Parr’s. 

It’s clear across town from Parr at O’Connor. Wagner/Steele/Judson are all next to each other though & all usually have decent talent.

Mike Roach: Big note on Prince Dorbah

In the interview we did this week, Prince indicated he wanted to take all of his visits and make a decision after the season. I spoke with Prince today, and it sounds like things have changed. He’s down to a top 2 of LSU and Texas and he plans to make his decision during the summer.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Looks like Evans is in for this weekend, and maybe George as well.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Big note on Prince Dorbah

Reveal hidden contents

In the interview we did this week, Prince indicated he wanted to take all of his visits and make a decision after the season. I spoke with Prince today, and it sounds like things have changed. He’s down to a top 2 of LSU and Texas and he plans to make his decision during the summer.

Could explain this:

Also note: 

Just now, fellside said:

Russilo's pod yesterday was talking about how bad year early mocks are.  Drew Lock, Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Jarrett Stidham were all top 10 picks according to year early mocks.  Let's not even mention Jevan Snead.

Hakeem Butler was a 1st round pick the day of the draft, and then fell to the 5th round

22 minutes ago, fellside said:

Russilo's pod yesterday was talking about how bad year early mocks are.  Drew Lock, Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Jarrett Stidham were all top 10 picks according to year early mocks.  Let's not even mention Jevan Snead.

What do those guys have in common?