Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Darren Sproles was pretty good.

https://www.chiefs.com/video/noland-smith-kick-return-touchdown-16041439

So was 5' 6" 154 lb. Noland Smith of the Kansas City Chiefs.....the smallest-sized  player of his era in the NFL and AFL.  His nickname was "Super Gnat" because of his short stature and light weight.

Edited by Harrison Stafford

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/noland-smith-kick-return-touchdown-16041439

So was 5' 6" 154 lb. Noland Smith of the Kansas City Chiefs.....the smallest-sized  player in the NFL and AFL of his era.  His nickname was "Super Gnat" because of his short stature and light weight.

Another one to throw out especially when the aggy horde starts running their collective mouth:

Dante Hall at 5'8", 187 lbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Hall

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Any word on QJ? He’s supposed to make a summer decision which is finishing what, next week?

He doesn't really talk to anyone, so the 9.95ers are often as out of the loop as any of us. It's down to us and TCU - he apparently likes Malcolm Kelly a lot.

22 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

So you’re into 80 year olds. I’m not here to judge your dumbass. 

Well, apparently I’m into your favorite 80 year old. 

Also in this context, I think you were looking for “dumb ass” as an adjective and a noun, as opposed to “dumbass” which is more of just an adjective. 

25 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Ty jordan looks great to me.
Hes a strong little rb that can take it up the middle.
Great instincts and speed to take it to the house.

he’s a 5’7” three-star recruit.  I guess I missed it when we started going for kansas level prospects. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

The Reverend's worst song.  But incidentally the one that introduced me to him.  1994.  Fuck im old.

Worst seems a bit harsh.  Bales of cocaine would like to have a word.  Although I celebrate his entire catalog.  Saw him twice at liberty lunch 94 and 95

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waterboarder said:

Caught him in Dallas at which joint I cannot remember, then at the cottilion ball room in Wichita, then the bottle neck in Lawrence. Each time with the Toadies and butthole surfers.  I think in 95. What a great fucking show and a blast of a road trip for an 18 year old to take. In a yellow 2 door 77 le sabre with a white vinyl top.  Lots of keystone's and camels were consumed

Edited by JoseMedinaDeJesus

26 minutes ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

Caught him in Dallas at which joint I cannot remember, then at the cottilion ball room in Wichita, then the bottle neck in Lawrence. Each time with the Toadies and butthole surfers.  I think in 95. What a great fucking show and a blast of a road trip for an 18 year old to take. In a yellow 2 door 77 le sabre with a white vinyl top.  Lots of keystone's and camels were consumed

Aye, the Surfers Gibby Haynes is a friend of my families

• Like 1

Want to make sure I understand the DB board and what positions guys are either expected to fill or we just think they will fill...

CB:

• Ethan Pouncey
  • Kitan Crawford

Joker:

• Jerrin Thompson (right position?)

outstanding offers: 

• Kelee Ringo (CB)
  • Rogers (CB)
  • Kimber (CB)
  • Eaton (CB)
  • Ransom (S, either joker or field safety)
  • Alford (field safety)
  • Chris Thompson Jr (NB?)
  • Bryson Washington (field safety?)
Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Joker:

• Jerrin Thompson (right position?) 

outstanding offers:  

• Kelee Ringo (CB) 
  • Rogers (CB)
  • Kimber (CB)
  • Eaton (CB)
  • Ransom (S, either joker or field safety) 
  • Alford (field safety)
  • Chris Thompson Jr (NB?) 
  • Bryson Washington (field safety?) 

I think you're inverting the Joker position with the nickel back position.  Everything I've read about Jerrin is that he's a good candidate for nickel, which is what PJ Locke played last year.  On the other hand, Chris Thompson is a great fit for the joker position, which is what BJ Foster played last year and Jason Hall played in 2017.  Joker is the safety that often comes down into the box--sometimes all the way to the LOS--and has run support and blitz functions in Orlando's defense.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I think you're inverting the Joker position with the nickel back position.  Everything I've read about Jerrin is that he's a good candidate for nickel, which is what PJ Locke played last year.  On the other hand, Chris Thompson is a great fit for the joker position, which is what BJ Foster played last year and Jason Hall played in 2017.  Joker is the safety that often comes down into the box--sometimes all the way to the LOS--and has run support and blitz functions in Orlando's defense.

thanks!

Carrington fluff piece by Fong

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-recruiting-Bryan-Carrington-30Under30-134380314/

“I feel like I’m extremely motivated when it becomes a relationship battle of putting myself head to head against anyone in the country as far as building and developing a relationship and selling the University of Texas. Sales are always going to be good when you have the best product at Texas. I’m even more confident when it’s time to get into those lions dens and have these conversations which is odd because you don’t see somebody in my position to be a closer or help push over the top and help (a prospect) make that decision.