Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

8 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Isn't CTJ considered to be a "tweener" - a step slow for S/NB and a bit light for OLB/R?

With Pouncey having CB speed and standing something like 6'2", couldn't Pouncey, if need be, fill the role envisioned for CTJ? And with likely better results than CTJ?

No. Not even close. Pouncy is 165 lbs. he needs lots of work to be a cb. CTJ is a big dude that might end up a lb, he’s already over 200. They’re about similar as prospects as Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock. 

We need to flip Thompson badly. We won’t, though. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Can someone post some aggy tears from the various recruiting forums? I need my fix man.

No tears. First, they are looking at the ever-variable texags rankings, not some conspiracy-ridden composite list.

Second, all those 3* aggy recruits were selected by Jimbo himself. Therefore, they are really 5*.

Advantage aggy

• Like 1

I would love to have Ty Jordan.  I think it's good to have at least 1 player on the roster with his ability.  No need to recruit a guy like him every year, but he's a guy that has a very unique skill set.  Play him in the slot, as a return guy, and on jet sweeps.  He's a poor man's Rondale Moore, which is not a slight at all.  Dude absolutely abuses people at camps because he is lightning quick and has great speed.  His only knock is his height which won't really matter as far as what the coaches are going to ask him to do.

tenor.gif?itemid=8253124
Second.  He's a physical tough inside runner with excellent speed.  
Imagine being a LB or S and trying to find him in a big jumble of bodies or imagine him getting in behind a pulling Angilau or Kerstetter.  You can't see him and when you do its too late and he's gone. 
Plus it's gonna be hard to square him up because of his stature so that means he should break a lot of tackles..
I'm a huge fan and wouldve taken his commitment back in February 

Ok. I’m sold. Appreciate the insight.

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

I don’t get the need here? 5’7 ? Three Stars ...

Is he the second coming of Tony Jones? Ok. Would rather have another LB or a bigger RB. My two cents.

Know how I know you’re a casual follower of recruiting? 

Theyre not mutually exclusive and we have 4 scholarship rbs on campus, 3 not made of glass, and 2 are currently injured. Yeah, let’s hold out further. Your 2 cents on this topic are worth about half a penny. This kid  has a great role he can play. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

30 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Looks so effortless as he speeds past defenders.  And angles?  Fuck your angles, ludicrous speed trumps that shit.  

giphy.gif

🤘 HOOK 'EM

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

Is he the second coming of Tony Jones? Ok. Would rather have another LB or a bigger RB. My two cents.

It’s ok. In order to have people with high intelligence, we also need people with low intelligence. You’re being a team player and we like that. 

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Know how I know you’re a casual follower of recruiting? 

Theyre not mutually exclusive and we have 4 scholarship rbs on campus, 3 not made of glass, and 2 are currently injured. Yeah, let’s hold out further. Your 2 cents on this topic are worth about half a penny. This kid  has a great role he can play. 

Kirk Johnson never has been and never will be an option at Texas. We have four scholarship RB’s. One just dinged his knee up and one is not medically cleared to play. Meanwhile, Glass who we thought we did not need to make a push for is making a push to be the primary backup at OSU. 

Darwin Barlow, who also was an option for us had we made even a small effort for is going to play this year and getting praise from Patterson already. So we managed the RB situation really well for 2019. 

My guess is Jake Smith plays RB if we have another injury. 

3 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

Our RB depth chart makes our LB depth chart look like USC’s QB room of the 2000’s. You are probably going to see a walk on take reps against La Tech if Ingram has any kind of damage in his knee and you don’t see the fucking need? 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

So much good news on the recruiting front.

TJ has taken OVs to Tennessee and USC this summer. No OV to Austin yet but the CBs started to roll in after his visits to the other top schools on his list.  The height isn't any concern to me.  5'7" is fine for the position.  That's especially true when the dude weighs in at 183 pounds before his senior year in HS.  TJ would have to put on 5 lbs and shrink an inch to be Darren Sprole's size.  He is the same height as Maurice Jones-Drew though I don't know if Ty's frame can hold that much weight.

• Like 1

Kirk Johnson never has been and never will be an option at Texas. We have four scholarship RB’s. One just dinged his knee up and one is not medically cleared to play. Meanwhile, Glass who we thought we did not need to make a push for is making a push to be the primary backup at OSU. 
Darwin Barlow, who also was an option for us had we made even a small effort for is going to play this year and getting praise from Patterson already. So we managed the RB situation really well for 2019. 

Well sure. But what if our walk-one are better than those guys? Huh? Huh? Mensa.

33 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this but it's not like they could have predicted what was going to happen to Derrian Brown. He at least would have been another able body.