Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

I like him more than most here, mostly because I think his lack of athleticism is overstated. He's a safety who can cover inside guys in man (Omeire is slow, but he blanketed him in camps), and is a cerebral and technical player who should be where he's supposed to be when playing deeper; I think speed can be made up for at safety by being a quick processer, and it's not like he's really slow like O'Neal.

The biggest question for me is holding up in the run game against elite teams. If Yancy thinks he can bulk him up without him losing athleticism, then I don't see taking him as an issue. 

Get him in the program and have him learn boundary, field, and nickel, and maybe he'll start as an upperclassman. He's not Foster, Sterns, Owens, etc, but apparently you can't land some of the nations best safety classes every single year. 

Coach on the field?

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We’re experiencing two different realities if you think Auburn gives one fat rat’s ass about optics. They’ve made no qualms about buying players and defending it publicly. They’ve graduated players that couldn’t read. They’ve let donors pursue the hiring of the next head coach while the current head coach is fully employed, on multiple occasions. They’ve been sanctioned by the NCAA damned near as many times as any other school in history. All of this shit is documented and can be googled. There is a fuckton of ignorance about histories and behaviors with programs on the recruiting board, and it’s bizarre. 

The university's (sic) accrediting board put them on probation because of athletics.  That's hard to top.

Also, google "Professor Petee."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not talking about their football program. To graduate the amount of student debt that any university graduates and pay that amount of money to buy out a football coach is at best, incongruous. As a university president, I don't see allowing that to happen in the era of twitter outrage.

It's like you've never heard of Auburn before.  It's literally only a university so that they can have a football program. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Fud said:

I like him more than most here, mostly because I think his lack of athleticism is overstated. He's a safety who can cover inside guys in man (Omeire is slow, but he blanketed him in camps), and is a cerebral and technical player who should be where he's supposed to be when playing deeper; I think speed can be made up for at safety by being a quick processer, and it's not like he's really slow like O'Neal.

The biggest question for me is holding up in the run game against elite teams. If Yancy thinks he can bulk him up without him losing athleticism, then I don't see taking him as an issue. 

Get him in the program and have him learn boundary, field, and nickel, and maybe he'll start as an upperclassman. He's not Foster, Sterns, Owens, etc, but apparently you can't land some of the nations best safety classes every single year. 

This is my thought on Alford as well.  I don't think he's a bad take.  I'd rather have Washington, but he's #2 at Safety in-state IMO ( counting C. Thompson as Joker and J. Thompson as NB ).

We probably land JD Coffey at Safety for 2021 and he looks to be a top-5ish nation Safety.

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

Did TFB say it was necessarily a battle with either? 

No, I just get the feeling (based on the way they're writing) that this particular win is going to be a hit on someone else's recruiting, as opposed to someone we're the clear favorite for.

I guess Quentin Johnston also fits the profile.

Just now, Machinator said:

No, I just get the feeling (based on the way they're writing) that this particular win is going to be a hit on someone else's recruiting, as opposed to someone we're the clear favorite for.

A h2h win against TCU wouldn't be surprising, but it would be fun.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Johnston was/is going to sit down with his family this week to decide, so from a timing standpoint he makes sense. Collins, Alford, and Princely fit the aggie tears theory. Ty Jordan doesn't really check any of the boxes. I'll go 30/30/30/10 Collins, Alford, Johnston, and Princely.