Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

More Wiltfong. Keep working that Carrington ego, Steve.

In other words I really have no fucking idea, and don't want to tarnish my percentage anymore with Texas whiffs.

I'm wondering how WR recruiting shakes out after Johnston. Do the coaches look at Jordan and Shelton at the same spot?

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

The thing that shocks me about this is how many 3 stars UNT has there? How could that many 3 stars settle on UNT that early in the process?

Littrel can coach and they are selling the idea of playing at UNT vs. being depth elsewhere and it's working. they are going to be a handful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Littrel can coach and they are selling the idea of playing at UNT vs. being depth elsewhere and it's working. they are going to be a handful.

I wish they were playing aggy this year instead of next.  They lose the QB and a bunch of other starters after this season.

The thing that shocks me about this is how many 3 stars UNT has there? How could that many 3 stars settle on UNT that early in the process?

Good coach and they know if they have a great HS season a P5 school will offer. Not a bad safety school knowing that they can win, play a fun brand of football and still either transfer or grad transfer.

Fill up early on Texas 3 stars and UNT will be successful. Lose a few late, and grab what scraps are left. Not a bad concept for both the school or the player.

• Like 1

Is that a 247 thing? I feel like Rivals used to have a lot of 2 stars.  I remember Blake Gideon being a 2 star.

Not sure but just go look at their commit list. Their top ranked commit is the #1976 composite recruit. It's not like they're landing Fillinger type 3 stars. 

Their top commit (by ranking) has offers from UNT and Eastern Kentucky. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-12-at-4-58-20-PM.png

Not including any irrelevant not-top-10 teams in the shot obviously.

There is a huuuge gap in recruit avg between 6 and 7. There are 6 elite classes in the nation and that’s likely how it will finish too.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

I would pay an obscene amount of money to see Giles do this dance.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas. Soon. Ban me if I’m wrong. 

Idk about the rest of you fuckers, but I only liked this post because the idea of fatwa’ing CTJ is glorious.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

In other words I really have no fucking idea, and don't want to tarnish my percentage anymore with Texas whiffs.

aggy levels of self awareness right here. I literally made fun of this regard this morning for giving Wiltfong shit about his SEC predictions for Rogers and Thompson. 

Roach: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Mike-at-Night-breaks-down-what-the-rest-of-the-summer-could-look-like-for-Texas-134405182/

—Word is getting around that Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is closing in on a commitment. As I reported last week, the four-star pass catcher was looking at making his decision before the season, and it sounds like Texas and TCU are the top two. I haven’t quite been able to get a clear outlook on who leads, but I’ve been hearing a bit more positive buzz towards Texas as of late. I’m not yet ready to put in a crystal ball, but I think Texas is using their recent momentum to keep things rolling with him.  TCU wide receivers coach Malcolm Kelly is a huge factor in the race, and he's created a special bond between the TCU staff and Quentin.  This race will be tight right up until the announcement.

—I changed my crystal ball to Texas for four-star cornerback Joshua Eaton today. It sounds like Texas is starting to trend big time for him. I wasn’t quite sure if the numbers were going to work out, but it sounds like Eaton could possibly be part of this class. From what I know, he’s in the final stages of producing his commitment video, and I’d expect him to drop it before the fall season starts.

—I did some checking on four-star Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford today. It sounds like Texas A&M is definitely the popular pick right now, but I’m not quite ready to change my crystal ball from foggy. Texas is trying to make up ground on their long-time target, and it will be interesting to see what kind of progress they can make. Alford is also discussing shutting things down before the season, so his commitment could come at any time as well.

—Four-star Manor DE Princely Umanmielen made his commitment today, and it came as quite a shock to most. As late as a few days ago, the word was that Texas A&M was in the driver seat, but Umanmielen heard what he needed to from Oscar Giles about his fit and decided to pull the trigger on a commitment. Some have asked what this means for Alfred Collins, and the answer is nothing that I’m aware of. Collins is still very much a priority for the Longhorns, and they’ve done a lot of work to establish a lead this summer. They will have to fight through the official visits Collins takes this fall, but this could potentially be a clean sweep on the primary defensive line targets in state.

Another article from Roach where it looks like he just summarizes info that’s already out there for people who casually follow recruiting...  I’m not sure there’s one pertinent piece of information there about a recruit that wasn’t already out there.

He’s kind of reminding me of the guy Spectrum sent to my house to install my cable internet service.  I ended up having to do most of it, while he wandered around aimlessly. The guy even asked me to carry his stuff upstairs for him at one point...

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, Machinator said:

Wiltfong also predicted Kansas for Brennon Scott and Washington for a WR out of Bishop Gorman that we offered (he never visited Texas).

On 8/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, Fud said:

OU likes Rome Odunzo or whatever his name is. OU will always be loaded at WR as long as Riley is there, but better Washington than OU. 

Committed to UW today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Via TFloss:

Just to clarify the cryptic post was literally Wells saying “Just give me Jaxon Smith-Ninja” and a link to his highlights. Then a bunch of posters making the assumption that he wouldn’t just post that out of nowhere for no reason. 

16 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Just to clarify the cryptic post was literally Wells saying “Just give me Jaxon Smith-Ninja” and a link to his highlights. Then a bunch of posters making the assumption that he wouldn’t just post that out of nowhere for no reason. 

Sir! I, for one, will not sit by and witness the veracity of random takes from Mr. Bulletproof himself, Tfloss, questioned by the likes of peons like you! 

Or, well, maybe I will. Then I’ll continue to argue that that guy is just some rando shouting into a void that some of you Spurs honks happen to click occasionally. 

• Like 1

Word is getting around that Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is closing in on a commitment... I haven’t quite been able to get a clear outlook on who leads, but... this race will be tight right up until the announcement.

Deep intel right here. That'll be $9.95.

Edited by Voluminous Banality

16 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Roach said that he thinks they're preparing for a bigger class than originally thought.

If that’s the case it better be because they’re preparing to take legit studs after the end of a great season, or have real insight into some attrition we haven’t sniffed yet. Otherwise I’d fold up shop. But that’s just me. So far they haven’t processed players in the saban/Meyer mood as we expected each season. 

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think Eaton could potentially compare to Holton Hill, but he's going to need a few years in the S&C program and to play a lot more physical/tougher.  

I'm not thrilled right now with him, but hope I can look back and say I was wrong.

no offense, but Holton Hill was a top 100 national guy (76 in composite, #8 CB and #11 in TX) who at this point in this Sr season was #83 in the country and came in pretty decently ready to go and play. Per Texassports, Hill played in all 12 games, started 8 as a true freshman and was honorable mention all B12. 

Eaton is currently #335, #28 CB and #51 in TX, he is a late riser (currently at his highest ranking ever, was in the 500s in May) but he clearly needs S&C and some work as he is pretty damn raw. 

I get what you are saying, but they are the same in that they are both long, fast dudes who play CB (Hill was 6'2", 184 in HS and Eaton is 6'2", 175) but outside of that they really aren't that comparable at all...

• Like 2

If that’s the case it better be because they’re preparing to take legit studs after the end of a great season, or have real insight into some attrition we haven’t sniffed yet. Otherwise I’d fold up shop. But that’s just me. So far they haven’t processed players in the saban/Meyer mood as we expected each season. 

I feel like the numbers will work themselves out, when’s the last time we had a full compliment of 85 scholarship players?

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I feel like the numbers will work themselves out, when’s the last time we had a full compliment of 85 scholarship players?

I understand that. And normally I’m with you in that it will work itself out wagon. But the 2021 class is so good and we’re so well positioned it is worth at least some level of pause. Its fucking loaded. I’m not sure taking another meh WR after QJ is worth it, or a safety not named Washington or CTJ. 

I understand that. And normally I’m with you in that it will work itself out wagon. But the 2021 class is so good and we’re so well positioned it is worth at least some level of pause. Its fucking loaded. I’m not sure taking another meh WR after QJ is worth it, or a safety not named Washington or CTJ. 

I agree with that, no MEHringer specials please.