Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

This.

I am very meh on the idea of taking these 2 guys. However, it is so amazing to see them melting down at the thought of losing Alford, that I cannot help but be encouraged. It almost makes me forget that we whiffed on Washington, Ransom, Rogers, or Thompson.

At this point I think Alford has to be a take tbh. Otherwise we're relying on flips for a second safety and that's not a good place to be in. Eaton is high risk high reward, but we're in a great spot at CB so whiffing won't hurt us but hitting with him could be big.

Open Mike: Live Recruiting Chat

What's the latest you've heard on Alford?

A&M seems to have the edge, but I'm not sure anything is done yet.

Best guess on how many commits in the next 2 weeks?

I could see 2-3 more.

If you could take all your picks back today and had to place one for Eaton and one for Alford, where would they be?

Right now it would be Texas for Eaton and I'd still be foggy on Alford.

Since Bijan said he may take a couple OVs, does UT still continue to recruit the other 5* rbs?

I don't believe so.

Mike what’s your prediction of game 1 this season and then while you’re here, go ahead and call your shot against LSU?

Texas should take care of business in week one. It's been a bit of a struggle over the last two years, but I think this team is primed to come out rolling. LSU is obviously very talented, but I love Herman's ability to get his team up for big games. I'd probably lean towards LSU, but I think it could go either way.

Who’s your most underrated commit for 2020 and 2021?

2020 - Andrej Karic has the chance to be the best OL prospect in this group of guys. 2021 - I think Lake McRee has the chance to really take off this year.

Update on the Temple WR you seeing tomorrow lol

Talked about it last night. I think it's likely he makes a decision soon and I'd give Texas the slight edge now.

Temple tomorrow, eh? I take it you’re getting a head start on your write up of Johnston’s imminent commitment? But seriously, how fun has the past month been for you, with all of the good news you’ve been delivering? Keep up the good work.

It's been a lot better than the previous months.

Anything new on Bunkley and either way, what’s our chances there? And Q Johnson, Hester, Achane?

I think Texas is in a great spot for Bunkley. I think the same for Johnston and Hester. I would say things never picked up with Achane.

Do we end up with Johnston and Hester? Who is our 3rd wr take?

As of now I think so. I think Bunkley-Shelton could be the last guy.

When do you expect our next 2020 commit? When’s next 2021 commit?

2020 I could see happening this week...maybe two in fact. 2021 will probably be a while but saying that almost guarantees one will pop up.

Over/under 23 total commits? Looking at the Malik Jefferson and Gary Johnson type LBs Texas likes is it just a hard fit?

Right now I'll take the over. No not a hard fit. I think you guys worry about LB a lot but they've signed a lot of bodies over the past few cycles.

2020 top 5 class for UT?

Top 5 will be hard to hold on to if they go with a small group.

Mike, what is your signature dance move?

The drunk one

If we land both Alford & Eaton will the Aggie board completely burn to the ground?

Those would be big wins over them for sure.

Do you have a short list of possible players to keep an eye on for flips? I have to assume we are still trying to work on some guys who have committed.

I think Jahari Rogers is possibly on that list, I could also see Chris Thompson there depending on what happens with Auburn.

Does Princely impact Collins? I remember reading something about him being told it would be a 3 DL class

You didn't read Mike at Night last night did you, Tre? No I don't think so. He's still a huge priority for Texas, and Collins is by no means a slam dunk.

With Alford projected to tamu, do we target any other safeties? Assuming Eaton commits to UT and we always keep a spot open for the Hail Mary of Ringo...that’s a lot of DB bodies but no true safeties.

Let's get through the Alford commitment and see what happens...

Mike, what happens if/when Eaton commits and if Rogers flips? Are we okay taking both?

Not sure yet. Like I said, the numbers are fluid right now.

I know some kids are so "special" there is always room for them. What are a couple legit targets to flip or commit that Texas would go over their number for?

Kelee Ringo or Justin Flowe they'd make room for, but I don't think either are likely.

Is Ringo a dead issue as of now?

I wouldn't say dead, but I would say life support.

Mike let those balls hang and drop that CB for Alford!!

I can't yet.

I saw the Aggies got two internal 5 star bumps. Do we have any players that could reach 5 star status besides Bijan?

Those were from the composite update since Rivals updated rankings. I think Ja'Quinden Jackson has a chance this fall.

I feel like you’re hearing good news ???? Thanks as always, Mike!

I'm not giving it up. There's a reason I haven't moved off of foggy.

Who would be they next safety if they miss on Alford? Any possible of moving Eaton to safety if he commits and miss on Alford?

I don't think you'll see them reach on a safety just to have a body.

When can we know all of what went wrong for Princely at Aggy?

Still trying to figure that out myself. I was tipped about his switch about 30 seconds before he announced.

Who are your personal top 5 recruits for 2021?

Still very early, but I have it currently like this... 1) Tommy Brockermeyer 2) Savion Byrd 3) Donovan Jackson 4) Tunmise Adeleye 5) Shadrach Banks

% chance of flipping Ransom?

Less than 5

Any updates on Damian Sellers?

Haven't heard much lately. He'll need to visit before I consider it a serious option.

Do you think that Robinson will take his visits? If he does do you think he sticks or do you think its just him taking 2 free trips to get the most out of his recruitment?

I think it's likely he takes visits but I think it's likely he sticks.

Mike, do you think the staff has any late recruiting surprises up their sleeves I have this vague recollection they've pulled some rabbits out of the hate late the last couple of seasons?

Not so sure with limited spots forecasted, but it will depend on how things play out.

Can you post (probably for the umpteenth time) the numbers by position the staff is looking to take in 2020?

They are fluid but I can't see more than 24. QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 3-4 TE - 1 if you count Hullaby OL - 4 DL - 4 LB - 2-3 CB - 3 S - 2-3

If they go bigger in 2020, will that make 2021 smaller?

They seem to always find room for the guys they want. They'll maximize 2021.

What do you think are the glarring differences between this staff and strongs regimine?

The biggest thing is usage of a the support staff. Charlie Strong had no real personnel group cutting film and making early evaluations. He had no one like Bryan Carrington to be the face of it. Herman is doing a great job of utilizing that resource.[/Spoiler]

7 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

However, it is so amazing to see them melting down at the thought of losing Alford, that I cannot help but be encouraged. It almost makes me forget that we whiffed on Washington, Ransom, Rogers, or Thompson.

and Ringo

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

At this point I think Alford has to be a take tbh. Otherwise we're relying on flips for a second safety and that's not a good place to be in. Eaton is high risk high reward, but we're in a great spot at CB so whiffing won't hurt us but hitting with him could be big.

Very good points.

We would be fine either sitting with the four we've got, or also still take a flip from one of those guys we missed on and be fine either way.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nah. Liucci is kind of melting right now per Frenzy's twitter page. Saying they need to win the Princely and Alford type battles. 

EB5JPd1X4AEbAMR?format=jpg&name=medium

I thought they were banning people for talking about other schools paying players?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we're making a push for Josh White.

Carrington randomly liked a tweet of his from June 6th tonight. Some of our other assistants and players started following him. He seems to be close with some of our players/commits like Derrick Harris JR and Ossai. 

I'm going to guess this is the player the staff has confidence in flipping. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Also, if this turns out well for us, Super K just dragged his nuts across the Texas recruiting sphere. What a week he's having.

It's why I had some confidence in Alford. Nobody was predicting Princely to Texas. To predict those two as Texas leans tells you he has a source on staff. Nobody else would go out on a limb like that without a good source based on the momentum to aggy. 

It's obvious somebody already told him that Alford and Princely were committing to Texas. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

It actually makes a ton of sense to go select an up-and-coming reporter and use your influence to push a narrative for your team and staff which you want to be made public.

Not saying that is what’s happening, Herman and his guys have successfully kept some big secrets under wraps, major props to that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

It actually makes a ton of sense to go select an up-and-coming reporter and use your influence to push a narrative for your team and staff which you want to be made public.

Not saying that is what’s happening, Herman and his guys have successfully kept some big secrets under wraps, major props to that.

Roach is up and coming.  I wonder which coach is feeding him info?  

Oh, wait, nevermind.

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's why I had some confidence in Alford. Nobody was predicting Princely to Texas. To predict those two as Texas leans tells you he has a source on staff. Nobody else would go out on a limb like that without a good source based on the momentum to aggy. 

It's obvious somebody already told him that Alford and Princely were committing to Texas. 

Alford is the other safety correct?

8 minutes ago, Richter said:

Roach is up and coming.  I wonder which coach is feeding him info?  

Oh, wait, nevermind.

Mike Roach is the actuary of recruiting insiders. Like, Burton knows and hears shit, whether y’all like hearing that or not. So does Howe. It is to the point that this risk averse motherfucker needs to tap into his employers and get a clue. 

This goober should go crystal ball the following right now and take a nap for 6 months. He’ll probably wake up with the trophy. 

-Alford

-Collins (he’s fucking hedging on Collins in updates, fuck)

-Jordan

-JSN

-QJ

-White (fuck it, who knows?)

-Pick a random highly ranked LB in the JUCO ranks 

-Eaton, I guess? fuck it.

I mean, does he have any of that? He’s worthless.  An absolute perfect fit for the mouthbreathers at 247. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mike Roach is the actuary of recruiting insiders. Like, Burton knows and hears shit, whether y’all like hearing that or not. So does Howe. It is to the point that this risk averse motherfucker needs to tap into his employers and get a clue. 

This goober should go crystal ball the following right now and take a nap for 6 months. He’ll probably wake up with the trophy. 

-Alford

-Jordan

-JSN

-QJ

I mean, does he have any of that? He’s worthless.  An absolute perfect fit for the mouthbreathers at 247. 

Dudes so scared of being wrong that he’s never going to be right

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Alford

-Jordan

-JSN

-QJ

Well, to be fair, he’s working with less than his predecessor.  Doesn’t get to have private dinners with you and hit up the spa like EJ got to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Alford

-Jordan

-JSN

-QJ

He has a CB on Eaton to Texas, only after Wiltfong, Perroni, and Warren all put theirs in 1st.

I definitely take Eaton. He projects as a CB and I see Pouncey as more of a CTJ replacement/LB/Nickel type.

We need to stock up on corners. We need to build some depth there.

Alford is my favorite DB in this class, has been from the very beginning. He named his Hudl highlights "DBU Junior $ZN" back on 1/3/19. Has felt like a Horn to me all along.

It's just getting to the point where it's impossible to justify committing to A&M over Texas. They don't have any personality. They aren't getting the talent needed to win. And dudes are starting to realize that. Coming to Texas is more fun.

• Like 1