Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, lazygringo said:

Didn't see any ball skills displayed in his highlights, personally. What were you watching?

I'll tell you what I wasn't watching: a 160-170 pound defensive back who can magically bulk up into a 220 lb linebacker / box safety

And you don't need to have elite ball skills to be a good cornerback.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Didn't see any ball skills displayed in his highlights, personally. What were you watching?

You have to be confusing him with Jerrin Thompson (who doesn't have great ball skills). Pouncey's hudl is wall-to-wall INTs.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I have no idea how you watch that HUDL and come to the conclusion that he doesn't have ball skills after watching, oh, I don't know, the first fucking play on that video.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8209954/5b9a8bdbe984690ba4e81b18

Damn, the 2nd highlight what a smooth stride. Doesn't look like he's moving but he's moving.

I have no idea how you watch that HUDL and come to the conclusion that he doesn't have ball skills after watching, oh, I don't know, the first fucking play on that video.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8209954/5b9a8bdbe984690ba4e81b18

You know it's a bad take when you make the bot curse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, lazygringo said:

Hmm, yeah, y'all are right. Thanks for that link. The timing of his commitment and his highlights here threw me off, made me think he was a CTJ replacement. 

https://247sports.com/Video/Ethan-Pouncey-Winter-Park-2018-Season-Highlights-9268659/

Well now I'm fuckin' excited.

username checks out.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

It's just getting to the point where it's impossible to justify committing to A&M over Texas. They don't have any personality. They aren't getting the talent needed to win. And dudes are starting to realize that. Coming to Texas is more fun.

Wait.  You don't think "Come here and be part of the #106 ranked passing defense and even that is overrated because we play so many bad QBs" is an attractive pitch to DBs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Also, if this turns out well for us, Super K just dragged his nuts across the Texas recruiting sphere. What a week he's having.

Super K has been far and away the bets Texas 9.95er since he started covering texas.

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

I definitely take Eaton. He projects as a CB and I see Pouncey as more of a CTJ replacement/LB/Nickel type.

We need to stock up on corners. We need to build some depth there.

Alford is my favorite DB in this class, has been from the very beginning. He named his Hudl highlights "DBU Junior $ZN" back on 1/3/19. Has felt like a Horn to me all along.

It's just getting to the point where it's impossible to justify committing to A&M over Texas. They don't have any personality. They aren't getting the talent needed to win. And dudes are starting to realize that. Coming to Texas is more fun.

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

54 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Hmm, yeah, y'all are right. Thanks for that link. The timing of his commitment and his highlights here threw me off, made me think he was a CTJ replacement. 

https://247sports.com/Video/Ethan-Pouncey-Winter-Park-2018-Season-Highlights-9268659/

Well now I'm fuckin' excited.

Lulz. This makes your Caldwell hot takes on the football board hat much funnier. 

Sometimes kids end up not getting it done, but here's what I've got for potential early enrollees

Hudson Card

Logan Parr

Jake Majors

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Vernon Broughton

Princely Umanmielen

Xavion Alford

Bryson Washington

Zach Evans

Majors getting in and learning to play center is big for him potentially being a starter there his second year. The staff getting an extra semester to try and figure out what exactly Ja'Quinden is nice; I personally would use him in short yardage like freshman Tebow while bringing him slowly along, but he could also be an elite linebacker or WR. I bet if Texas lands Alford, they start him at corner for the first semester like they did with Sterns, before moving him to safety. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sometimes kids end up not getting it done, but here's what I've got for potential early enrollees

Hudson Card

Logan Parr

Jake Majors

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Vernon Broughton

Princely Umanmielen

Xavion Alford

Bryson Washington

Zach Evans

Majors getting in and learning to play center is big for him potentially being a starter there his second year. The staff getting an extra semester to try and figure out what exactly Ja'Quinden is nice; I personally would use him in short yardage like freshman Tebow while bringing him slowly along, but he could also be an elite linebacker or WR. I bet if Texas lands Alford, they start him at corner for the first semester like they did with Sterns, before moving him to safety. 

If Majors is starting his second year (meaning redshirt freshman) something has gone wrong.

Edited by thepop
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nah. Liucci is kind of melting right now per Frenzy's twitter page. Saying they need to win the Princely and Alford type battles. 

Spoiler

EB5JPd1X4AEbAMR?format=jpg&name=medium

they also conveniently forget this article came out and is being used against them I am sure (for good reason)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again

but sure. it is the White Live Matter thing from a couple of years ago!

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Hi Billy!!!!  EAT A DICK, BILLY!!!

190fa8f681c37c8515698aa70d8ae8d9.gif

True story:

My youngest son (who is 11) was watching the last Texas vs aggy game last week with me.  He had never seen the game through its entirety so he was really into as if it was live.  When ol’ Billy boy flashes across the screen, my son busts out laughing.  He says what’s wrong Aggie, are you afraid we are gonna hurt your boyfriend by tackling him too hard?  

I just laughed, and told him that his boyfriend was on the team until the next year and played qb.  Oh let me guess, Johnny foozeball?  Now I hate that guy, what a doofus.

i just laughed, and replied yes Colt you’re right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fud said:

Ja'Quinden is nice; I personally would use him in short yardage like freshman Tebow while bringing him slowly along, but he could also be an elite linebacker or WR.

I feel like I’m in the minority here but I think card ends up at receiver or backup qb.  JQJ is a huge phenom athlete with a cannon and he throws darts.  I think he’s a better qb than he gets credit for here.  herman will want the ball in his hands every play as soon as he’s ready.  

• Like 3

Just now, futureman said:

I feel like I’m in the minority here but I think card ends up at receiver or backup qb.  JQJ is a huge phenom athlete with a cannon and he throws darts.  I think he’s a better qb than he gets credit for here.  herman will want the ball in his hands every play as soon as he’s ready.  

He’d make us one of the best short yardage teams in the country if you put him in for those situations