Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Adding Collins, Jordan, Johnston, Eaton, Alford, and flipping Jaxon Smith-Njigba would put us at 290.3, which will likely be somewhere around 6 or 7 this year (but would have been higher than our 3rd-ranked class last year). Right now a 290 puts us in 5th just ahead of Georgia, but they only have 16 commits and 3 5-stars and are in on Evans and a lot of other studs so I don't see us catching them in the end. So most optimistically we hold tight at 6 assuming we flip Jaxon Smith-whatever, which I'm not expecting, but am only using him as a placeholder assuming we find/sign someone equally rated.

Assuming we only have room to take 22, this is why I'm not really in favor of bringing both Eaton and Alford on board. Especially when you consider how well-positioned we are in the absolutely loaded 21 class. Taking Alford and Eaton means we likely have two less takes in 21. They seem like luxury takes at the expense of a late riser at a position of need (linebackers, anyone?) The DB room is stacked and neither seem likely to crack the 2-deep anytime soon. And if we're following the Clemson model and not the Bama model, then every single take has to be someone you envision being capable of making a contribution. There are no luxury takes. You can't afford it. But, hey, who needs linebackers when you play a 3-1-7, amIright?

We’re not only taking 3 DBs in 2020.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Eaton is a luxury take. They might be worried about losing all of Cook, Green, and Jamison early, and think Caldwell is a nickel or safety, but I think Kenyatta, Pouncey, and Crawford are good enough to hold down the fort for now. If we're taking a third corner, I'd prefer it be someone of a higher caliber, like Rogers, although I do get where the staff is coming from based on Eaton's physical upside. 

I don't think Alford is a luxury take. We need at least two safeties in this class for roster upkeep reasoning, and he gives us two. 

The problem is, to get Alford we probably have to get Eaton.

The other option is hanging around and trying to flip Washington, CTJ, and/or Ransom, but it appears that they'd rather go ahead and try and land Alford and Eaton first, rather than missing out on everyone. 

I’m not as well-informed on the 2021 class, yet, but is it possible we might be reaching on Eaton because of a dearth of CB talent in the 2021 class? 

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I’m not as well-informed on the 2021 class, yet, but is it possible we might be reaching on Eaton because of a dearth of CB talent in the 2021 class? 

That might be possible, but I don't know for sure

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know you're kidding around, but Iowa State did this some last year. 

I wish Campbell was at a place that 1) was not in the B12 so I could actually root for them some and 2) was at a place where he had a hope of staying long term...

those guys are doing some cool things. had no idea about the 8 DB stuff though, thanks CTJ!

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

This is why recruiting nationally is important. They've shown the ability, so I don't see why weak CB numbers in 2021 in Texas means they need to take a risk in an earlier class. That considered, let's ensure we're all grounding the thinking appropriately here. Is the 2021 state of Texas class weak at CB? Safety? Do we have enough data yet? I know II in Dallas projects as elite. Is he the one and only worthy state of TX CB target next year?

Regardless of any of that, I'll just state one more time that I don't get the Eaton and Alford recruitments for Texas. Never have. I understand the depth chart hurts on some targets. I just don't understand the taking of guys that won't play here unless they chemically change. I couldn't be more meh on either of them. I'll cheer the aggie tears if both come to Texas, sure. But I am more entertained by play on the field that surpasses the opponent, even in the college football playoffs. Either of those guys on a starting 11 going up against Clemson or Alabama look like talent deficits compared to how so many others project. 

That said, yeah, these coaches have shown excellent signs so far as evaluators and McKnight is showing elite skills as a developer of men. It won't stop me from being a blowhard on the recruiting board, but I'm not wringing my hands over it the way I did with numerous recruiting decisions and evaluations in the post-VY Mack Brown era or during the frantic insanity of the Chuckles epoch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

I wish Campbell was at a place that 1) was not in the B12 so I could actually root for them some and 2) was at a place where he had a hope of staying long term...

those guys are doing some cool things. had no idea about the 8 DB stuff though, thanks CTJ!

You still can? I usually want them to win every game that isn't UT.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

My greatest fear is that he might one day replace Lincoln. 

I know someone who's coached under Campbell, and I was told that he's pretty open about loving the Midwest, and will likely never coach outside of it. I think the first upper tier Midwest job to open up gets him for life, whether its Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, or Penn State. Obviously some of those schools won't have openings for the foreseeable future, but it just takes one to open up. I'm not sure if programs like Wisconsin or Iowa qualify as lifer jobs for him; they might be, but what if Ohio State comes calling? 

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon if he'll be willing to turn down an elite program outside of the Midwest. He's more than happy to hang around Iowa State, so it wouldn't surprise me if he does turn down those jobs. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Holding down the power button for ~5 seconds will still work. That forcibly cuts power to the system, so no setting will be able to modify that behaviour.

Satya giving tech support and troubleshooting tips gives me a bit of a chuckle. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/

These are updated

Bijan up, errrrrrrrbody else down

State of Texas got slaughtered in their latest changes. Demas is the only one who moved up. And yes, I realize that when brand new players move in that the median change within the Top 100 will be a move down, but strange to see no TX players moving way up.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

State of Texas got slaughtered in their latest changes. Demas is the only one who moved up. And yes, I realize that when brand new players move in that the median change within the Top 100 will be a move down, but strange to see no TX players moving way up.

Rivals is fully behind Jimbo's innovative new "lose every in-state battle" recruiting strategy.

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Farrell must be incredibly spineless in these rankings meeting. Every other state has guys advocating for their recruits, and Farrell's probably just like 'meh, whatever'

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Farrell must be incredibly spineless in these rankings meeting. Every other state has guys advocating for their recruits, and Farrell's probably just like 'men, whatever'

His their lead national guy. Spiegleman is the regional guy

5 hours ago, NoName said:

Current Looch 44 Info (will be checking back on this in a month to see what happens after he updates it)

1. Demas (A&M Commit)
  2. Zach Evans
  3. Drew Sanders (Bama)
  4. Seth McGowan (OU)
  5. JQJ (Texas Commit)
  6. McClellan (OU)
  7. Alfred Collins
  8. Jaylon Jones (A&M Commit)
  9. Troy Omeire (A&M Commit)
  10. Chad Lindberg (UGA)
  Hide contents

Other of Note:

12. Princely  (Texas Commit)
13. Ryan Watts  (OU)
14. Vernon Broughton (Texas Commit)
15. Haynes King (A&M Commit)
16. Kimber (UGA)
17. Chris Thompson Jr (Auburn)
18. Card (Texas Commit)
19. Kitan Crawford (Texas Commit)
20. Devon Achane
22. Jaylen Garth (Texas Commit)
24. Mickens (Clemson)
25. Aki Ogunbiyi (A&M Commit)
26. Josh Eaton
27. Malik Hornsby
31. Q Johnston
33. Xavion Alford
35. EJ Smith
37. Courtland Ford
38. Devin Price (A&M Commit)
40. Prince Dorbah
42. Josh White
44. Damieon George

No way in hell Haynes King stays at 15. Look forward to adjusted rankings later on.

Troy Omerie at 9?

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just a matter of time before each recruiting service is beholden to a particular bias and becomes propaganda and fake news.

HornSports used to have their own in-state recruiting rankings, very similar to what TexAgs does. They discontinued it though.

I've always thought that Rivals earlier rankings were terrible, and they wouldn't get much better until the final rankings after the all American practices. At least 247 will drop one of the "early on the scene" overrated kids as soon as they show signs of being overrated, and their drops can be brutally far