Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT

- ‘20 IMG Academy (FL) LB, Ole Miss commit Jaqwondis Burns... Burns was pleasantly surprised with an offer from Texas on Tuesday. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder burst on the scene during UA and Opening regional camps and committed to Ole Miss last spring.

Texas co-DC Todd Orlando was in Bradenton, FL last Friday to see the three-star 'backer. UT has shown a renewed interest with Burns, and Jaqwondis is willing to listen.

“(Coach Orlando) and I were chopping it up about my games and my fit,” said Burns. “I always consider every opportunity. Just have to talk with my family.”

You could say Burns is a soft pledge to the SEC Rebels.

“Texas is a great university, both academically and athletically,” Burns said. “They have a unique culture that not every program in the country has.”

He wants to setup a visit soon, so it’ll be interesting how UT handles this recruitment. His “little” brother is 2022 Dallas Skyline DL Bear Alexander. Texas is squarely in the mix here.

Cy-Creek LB, LSU pledge Josh White is another guy the staff really likes and will continue to pursue.

- ‘20 Aldine MacArthur DB, UT pledge Josh Eaton... The four-star from Houston took an official to OU last weekend. By all accounts, a good visit, one in which Eaton might be looking around or just seeing his options. With very limited spots remaining in 2020’s class, I don’t think the staff is very worried. He’s said he’s still 100% Longhorn, but after Ryan Watts de-committed from OU, it could set off a domino effect.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Do I just not know what I'm talking about or is JQJ looking like a legit QB prospect and not just an insane-athlete project? 

He’s definitely a legit QB prospect, but he still has a lot of development left. Similar to Roschon, his rushing ability means he doesn’t have to develop quite as much as a passer compared to others to become a real weapon at QB but both still have a ways to go as passers.