Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Ive got to say, Jaylon Jones as a 5 star is surprising as fuck to me. I knew he was a fringe guy, but THAT high? Good thing he's going to be playing corner.

And as Tex said, I'd like to give a big, BIG ole' fuck you to Tom Herman and Drew Mehringer. Just laying a big ole' grumpy all over recruiting. 

I'm thrilled we finished with 2 five stars, but there were 5 players in Texas who qualified as 5 stars, and Texas *might* get one, and he hasn't even committed yet. That just fucking sucks dick and there's no other way to slice it, IMO. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t understand the Drew Sanders thing, he’s good but he is not the best player in the state.

I think it easily should be Demas, despite him being pretty raw as a WR. The next five or six guys could go in any order 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

If anyone was wondering, they mentioned Simmons, Wiltfong, Powers, Biggins, and Huffman as the guys who collectively decide on their rankings

It's great that a guy who trades information for ratings bumps from coaches has a final say in rankings. And with that being said, they're still better than Rivals and ESPN most of the time. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Collins has been a silent to Texas since the spring. There may have been some slight wavering, but never in OU's direction. They've been clueless idiots about his recruitment the entire time. 

Given his family ties to Texas, I don’t see them letting him do a late NSD signing ceremony that would embarrass Texas. I see it as an announcement designed to cap off a good class, and Collins is more than happy to be the cherry. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

247 final in-state rankings

1) Drew Sanders
2) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
3) Jaylon Jones
4) Demond Demas
5) Alfred Collins
6) Zach Evans
7) Ja'Quinden Jackson
8') Devon Achane
9) Nate Anderson
10) Hudson Card
11) Jalen Kimber
12) Jalin Conyers
13) Jase McClellan
14) Malik Hornsby
15) Loic Fouonji
16) Haynes King
17) Quentin Johnston
18) Jahari Rogers
19) Prince Dorbah
20) Jahdae Barron
21) Garrett Hayes
22) Kitan Crawford
23) Ryan Watts
24) Marvin Mims
25) Kevontre Bradford
26) RJ Mickens
27) Savion Williams
28) Seth McGowan
29) Xavion Alford
30) Jerrin Thompson
31) Vernon Broughton
32) Brandon Frazier
33) Jaylen Garth
34) Josh White
35) Logan Parr

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

1) Drew Sanders
2) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
3) Jaylon Jones
4) Demond Demas
5) Alfred Collins
6) Zach Evans
7) Ja'Quinden Jackson
8') Devon Achane
9) Nate Anderson
10) Hudson Card
11) Jalen Kimber
12) Jalin Conyers
13) Jase McClellan
14) Malik Hornsby
15) Loic Fouonji
16) Haynes King
17) Quentin Johnston
18) Jahari Rogers
19) Prince Dorbah
20) Jahdae Barron
21) Garrett Hayes
22) Kitan Crawford
23) Ryan Watts
24) Marvin Mims
25) Kevontre Bradford
26) RJ Mickens
27) Savion Williams
28) Seth McGowan
29) Xavion Alford
30) Jerrin Thompson
31) Vernon Broughton
32) Brandon Frazier
33) Jaylen Garth
34) Josh White
35) Logan Parr

Can't wait to see the Aggy tears for Malik Hornsby being ranked over Haynes King lol

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So much of the elite Texas talent slipped through our grasp this cycle... can't happen again in 2021.

Luckily there’s at least one elite guy with a solid 4-star brother that are legacy kids. EZ$. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I was just thinking the same thing. And I'm not sure how I feel about Fouonji ahead of QJ and their rankings in general, but that feels off. 

The have Fouonji ahead of QJ because of his 200m track times, I'm guessing. I'd have QJ in the group of six or seven guys after Demas. I'm not sure if QJ even camped this past offseason, so I kind of get not ranking him overly high though. 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

OU offensive commits get a lot of (pretty justified) leeway. Look at how high Marvin Mims shot up.

Mims broke the national receiving yards record this past season against pretty good competition, his bump is justifiable and probably should’ve happened a while ago.  The Conyers infatuation is much more unexplainable.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it easily should be Demas, despite him being pretty raw as a WR. The next five or six guys could go in any order 

It's an interesting exercise. How do you determine your top guys? College expectations? Pro outlook? Just based on the biggest baller in HS?

I could choose to never rank a WR in the top 3 slots in the state unless the player is absolutely, unquestionably put together on and off the field.  The past two seasons, Garrett Wilson and Jaylen Waddle were the highest rated WRs in the state. One had an incredibly high bust factor because he was bought and paid for, but he landed at Bama, where they have a process for that. Both players have hit big time. Prior to that? It's fucking pathetic, dating back to the Big 3 class. The year with Terrance Toliver and then Dez Bryant in the top 7 wasn't bad. Toliver was fine at LSU. Not a bust, but not a top 30 national player in any season. Obviously Bryant went on to huge things. 

So what do we believe with Dumas? We think the evaluations have gotten demonstrably better in the last 2 seasons vs the prior 16? I don't. I'm sure he's a fucking witch on the football field when everything is going his way. What happens when everything doesn't go his way? Prima donna WRs are not a good bet and I'm not confident the top WR for a 3rd year in a row in Texas winds up kicking ass as well. It should be interesting to watch. 

Sanders looks like raw materials and Alabama halo effect. I'll honestly be surprised if he lives up to 5 star billing at any point.

Zach Evans is the biggest bust candidate to come out of Texas since Robert Timmons. Same kind of fucking idiot.

JSN? Maybe he'll be the top performer. He's awesome. He's going to a great set-up. He looks like he has his shit together.

Jaylon Jones could potentially be ruined by his college choice and how they play him. If not, he's going to create another bust at S, either in his own right or because Brian Williams ain't going to cut it and isn't going to spend another season mostly riding pine.

Alfred Collins has an NFL body right now. He'll be going into a new look defense that should play to his strengths. 

I'm not sure who else should be considered. There's a fall off after these guys. I don't see McLellan in this group. JQJ doesn't have a clear position and is hurt. Card? He's fine, but come on. QJ? Rogers? Not on the same level. 

Gun to my head, I think JSN is the highest producer at the CFB level from the group I just listed. I think Collins is the best candidate to go in the top 15 of a draft. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

1) Drew Sanders (Looch 44 #4)
2) Jaxon Smith-Njigba (#5)
3) Jaylon Jones (#3)
4) Demond Demas (#1)
5) Alfred Collins (#7)
6) Zach Evans (#2)
7) Ja'Quinden Jackson (#9)
8') Devon Achane (#8)
9) Nate Anderson (#21)
10) Hudson Card (#16)
11) Jalen Kimber (#10)
12) Jalin Conyers (unranked!)
13) Jase McClellan (#11)
14) Malik Hornsby (#26)
15) Loic Fouonji (unranked)
16) Haynes King (#6)
17) Quentin Johnston (#33)
18) Jahari Rogers (#25)
19) Prince Dorbah (unranked)
20) Jahdae Barron (unranked) 

21) Garrett Hayes (#14)
22) Kitan Crawford (#40)
23) Ryan Watts (#17)
24) Marvin Mims (#18)
25) Kevontre Bradford (#44)
26) RJ Mickens (#28) 
27) Savion Williams (unranked)
28) Seth McGowan (#20)
29) Xavion Alford (#23) 
30) Jerrin Thompson (unranked) 
31) Vernon Broughton (#13)
32) Brandon Frazier (unranked)
33) Jaylen Garth (#31) 
34) Josh White (#29)
35) Logan Parr (unranked)

comparison to Looch 44 as of 1/28/19

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It's a legitimate complaint. Texas needs to fucking kill it in-state for 2021. Anything less than 10 of the top 20 will be disappointing and less than 8 is a fucking joke. 5 of the top 20 in 2020 is pathetic.

Oh I know. @satyanash is just the boy who complained about the wolf.

Edited by texifornia