Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Going to have to average about 14 pages a day to reach 1,000 by next Wednesday.  Going to need lots of ways/topics to go off the rails.  Mehringer-Warehime-Giles talk can only get us so far.

That’s fucking easy.  How does a degree from Stanford stack up against a degree a from Texas and where does (insert recruits mom) stand on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

That’s fucking easy.  How does a degree from Stanford stack up against a degree a from Texas and where does (insert recruits mom) stand on it.

How does the two year mission trip work with regards to numbers and does that recruit count towards the current class or the one in two years?

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Going to have to average about 14 pages a day to reach 1,000 by next Wednesday.  Going to need lots of ways/topics to go off the rails.  Mehringer-Warehime-Giles talk can only get us so far.

A mass of $200 donors stupidly and prematurely ran off Mack Brown while he was killing himself to get the program back on track. Any amount of foresight used back then and Mack would probably be hoisting his 3rd or 4th Natty trophy.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

This thread continues to find new ways to go off the rails.

There are no rails here. This is a miasma of loosely related particles with no direction or inspiration, somewhat akin to the primordial soup waiting for a lighting strike to give it some semblance of organization. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Serious question. I re-read your original post and as best i can tell you’re saying colleges should try to get more live coverage because it’s better than film, but since we know college staffs are already attending as many games as they can in person, your suggestion is what exactly?

Provide them film of sideline angles of games to give them a more in-person feel, even though it will still be film? Sell them live VR feeds from the sideline of games they can’t attend?

he came up with what he think is a brilliant solution to a problem that teams generally don't have in 2020 (lack of non-video/on field knowledge about recruits), are already currently doing in 2020 (and have been doing for some time, see his 2 personal friends who do it currently) and wants the rest of us to salute his brilliance like this is some moneyball shit of identifying undervalued assets - except avoiding them when you find out they are bad apples?

it seems like he wants more teams to get boots on the ground and investigate things about players, "light PI work" as CTJ put it, that you can't see on film...then proceeds to say there are already 2 people he personally knows that are doing this. so clearly it is already happening and these dudes probably aren't doing work for Mary Hardin Baylor and UTEP.

this isn't Mack Brown circa 2002 where he was making offers based on what feedback he got from TXHSFB coaches and grainy highlights, schools are knowing more about kids every day - and that is without even considering the info that can be gathered from social media.

teams are doing their due diligence - looking beyond just the football field - then making a judgement call if someone has warts that bother them enough to say no (everyone else + Marcel Brooks) or if they are things they can live with (LSU + Marcell Brooks)

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

I mean, Burkhead wasn't exactly some unknown commodity. Dude's nickname was Superman and he was arguably the most talked about recruit in the DFW at the time. He had major offers and I know Rivals had him as a 4-star (this was before they completely sucked ass). Maybe one service severely underranked him ruining his composite (did the composite exist back then?), but Burkhead got plenty of hype, he just didn't get recruited by us.

He was the guy who had the HUDL jumping over a dude, right?

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Foster is the only one that should move and has the tools to move. Overshown would be fine, but he doesn't want to play in the box and if he doesn't want to play in the box, he'll be bad at it. Give me Foster and Tillman and make sure that Hullaby starts in the LB room. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Foster is the only one that should move and has the tools to move. Overshown would be fine, but he doesn't want to play in the box and if he doesn't want to play in the box, he'll be bad at it. Give me Foster and Tillman and make sure that Hullaby starts in the LB room. 

No Gbenda?

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That seems like an obvious move now. 

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I love what Omenihu did for the program, but he's kind of a satya in terms of his tweets about the team.

Omenihu's actually played/practiced with Overshown/Foster. His opinion on whether they'd succeed at a LB role is probably more well-informed than ours.

At any rate, let's see what the coaches end up deciding.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I love what Omenihu did for the program, but he's kind of a satya in terms of his tweets about the team.

Yup. Good player but having met him multiple times along with that temper tantrum post Kansas, his opinion means next to nothing to me.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Omenihu's actually played/practiced with Overshown/Foster. His opinion on whether they'd succeed at a LB role is probably more well-informed than ours.

At any rate, let's see what the coaches end up deciding.

I know plenty of ex-players, even pretty smart ones, whose opinions about their sport are worth less than the average interested observer because they get so emotional and prideful about it. It runs both ways.