Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

The Stampede: Visit weekend recap

—The Texas staff hit the road hard this week. New coaches wanted to establish their presence in state, and that included a few of them showing up to the DFW coaches’ clinic in Grapevine on Friday and Saturday. There was a big emphasis in Dallas as Texas looks to keep their footing in the north Texas area. Bryan Carrington carried out a march on south Dallas before making his way to Tarrant County with the other staff to see some schools on the west end of town. The feedback I heard on their visits was mostly strong from high school coaches. I also attended the DFW clinic where I got the opportunity to speak with multiple coaches regarding their opinion of the guys they met.

—The word on Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is that he’s very much a detailed evaluator of talent. I was told that Yurcich is a pretty intense guy, and he was thorough in his meetings with coaches. Yurcich sat in on just about every coach’s lecture during the DFW clinic, and he was front and center in the crowd of roughly 500 for most of them. A few coaches in particular mentioned that he stood out in the crowd and was attentive. Yurcich also worked the room pretty well and spoke with some coaches in their breakout sessions after the lecture.

—Defensive coordinator Chris Ash received positive reviews as well. I was told that Ash was very detailed at the schools he visited and made sure to ask about underclassmen. I was told that while Ash doesn’t necessarily have the personality of a magnetic recruiter, his genuine personality and approachable nature stood out. These were discussed in contrast to former Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. While Orlando was never rude or dismissive to high school coaches, several commented that they could tell he wasn’t interested in doing much recruiting.

—The star of the show continues to be Jay Valai. The Texas cornerbacks coach spent Friday at the DFW clinic after working his magic around Dallas. He had to leave Friday to get back to Austin for the weekend visitors coming in, but if you watched him work a lobby at the convention, you’d be convinced he was running for president. Valai seems to just have a different type of energy about him. In fact, one of the top coaches in the state pulled me aside to talk about Valai. The coach also mentioned his energy, and he said that in a five-minute conversation he had with Valai, he could see superstar potential as a recruiter.

A native of Euless, Texas, Valai knew a lot of the faces in the room during the convention, and it seemed that every few minutes, a new coach was coming up to hug and him and congratulate him.

—I spoke to a long time DFW coach about Andre Coleman, and the coach reiterated that more than anything, they know they can trust Coleman when he tells them something. The Texas receivers’ coach spent a lot of time in east Texas this week seeing guys like Kelvontay Dixon and Savion Williams, but the feedback continues to be that Coleman should be a solid recruiter for the Longhorns.

—Speaking of Savion Williams, I think it is likely that Texas gets him on campus for an official visit next week. I’ve been told that there have been productive conversations between both sides, and Williams is open to taking the trip. If he does, I think Texas could jump into the lead position, but Malcolm Kelly at TCU is proving to be a big factor. Kelly was a big part in flipping Quentin Johnston away from Texas before early signing day,a nd he wants to keep his other big target away from Austin if possible. The relationship with Kelly runs deeper and longer, so Texas will have a fight on their hands.

—Texas lost out on Lancaster running back l Kevontre Bradford. The four-star speedster committed to LSU following his official visit over the weekend. Bradford tentatively had an official visit set up for next weekend, but as I reported last week, sources at Lancaster didn’t think he’d get out of Baton Rouge uncommitted. In the end, this one came down to relationships. Texas tried to make up for lost time after losing out on Ty Jordan, but LSU had the longer standing bonds. I’m told that Texas will continue to pursue Bradford until signing day, and I’d expect to see them back at Lancaster this week. I don’t think it will matter in the long run, and Texas will likely finish this class with one back in Bijan Robinson.

—Texas did a great job with Carthage ATH Kelvontay Dixon this weekend from what I heard. Marcus Washington and Troy Omeire were both involved in the visit, and Dixon’s brother Keaontay Ingram was also around. Dixon has another official visit scheduled next week to Houston, but I believe it’s likely he doesn’t make the trip. I think Texas may have done all they needed to in order to close this recruitment out and land the four-star prospect.

—Duncanville cornerback Ennis Rakestraw was on campus at Alabama this weekend, but I’m told by someone close to Rakestraw that the Tide aren’t a huge factor right now. That could always change after the visit weekend, but the source I spoke with said that Missouri and Texas were the top two, and Missouri held a slight edge because of the loyalty factor. Missouri was the first big school to offer when they did so in October, and Rakestraw considers that a huge point in their favor. Texas will get the last shot to win over Rakestraw when he makes an official visit over the weekend.

—I mentioned last weekend that Texas made up ground with Pleasant Grove DL Marcus Burris when he was on campus for a visit. I heard this weekend that they also gained a massive amount of ground for Burris’s teammate Landon Jackson. There are still a ton of hurdles to clear on the way to signing both of these east Texas big men, but Texas took a huge step in the right direction following their visit last weekend.

—The Longhorns are always actively recruiting outside of the state’s borders, and this year should be no different. I’ve been told that out of state offers such as Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons wide receiver Troy Stellato, and Plant City (Fla.) wide receiver Mario Williams have both been very responsive to Texas coaches early. The staff is working on getting those players to campus during the spring, but those are just a few names to keep an eye on.

—Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas made a trip to Austin over the weekend. The four-star edge rusher was offered by Texas nearly a year ago, but he hadn’t been to Austin lately. It sounds like Texas made a big impact with him. In fact, I was told by sources near Thomas that Texas is at the top of his list of schools. Texas A&M is the biggest competition, but it sounds like Texas holds the lead for now. Thomas likely won’t decide until after the season, but early word bodes well for the Longhorns.

—As I reported the other night, Texas is looking to take two quarterbacks in the 2021 class. I’m told that this plan was relayed to Jalen Milroe and his family prior to offers going out to Lubbock Coronado quarterback Sawyer Robertson and Flower Mound Marcus quarterback Garrett Nussmeier. I’m told that the Milroe’s are ok with the plan, and they’ve been told they are still a huge priority for the staff. Any time you have to navigate the tight rope of a two-quarterback class, things can get dicey. I’m told there is some concern about the depth at the position, and Texas is looking to stack the deck in their favor. 2022 will likely be a one-quarterback class with Southlake Carroll’s Quinn Ewers being the primary target. Out of the two new quarterbacks offered, I’ve heard the most positive things around Nussmeier.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Goodman said:

Bradford has legitimate speed & balance, stud back. We need Bijan to stay healthy. Drayton has no excuses in year 4, get 2 backs that belong here.

A kid getting cold feet and flipping to a school because of coaching turmoil isn't really something to lay at the feet of Drayton. A kid having a life threatening stroke last year that affected our depth really isn't his fault either. He did his job this year, he just needs to do it again next year. If JWhit can come back healthy it won't make a shit anyway between him, Ingram and Bijan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

A kid getting cold feet and flipping to a school because of coaching turmoil isn't really something to lay at the feet of Drayton. A kid having a life threatening stroke last year that affected our depth really isn't his fault either. He did his job this year, he just needs to do it again next year. If JWhit can come back healthy it won't make a shit anyway between him, Ingram and Bijan. 

And R. Johnson

Mike Roach on Savion Williams

I spoke with Jeremy Clark from Horned Frog Blitz this morning. He's hearing on this side that Marshall wide receiver Savion Williams told multiple coaches at TCU he wouldn't be visiting Texas this weekend. Nobody has confirmed that with Texas, but it's worth passing it along. We'll work on digging into things this week.

4 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Is anyone hearing anything about Rakestraw and Baylor?

Alabama: Yeah....the offer isn't really committable.

Rakestraw: Well shit. I want to go to Missouri or Texas, but it's fun to be recruited! I'm going to schedule a visit to Baylor!

Missouri/Texas: We have backup plans, you know...

Rakestraw: *Delete*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: Visit weekend recap

Hide contents

— Out of the two new quarterbacks offered, I’ve heard the most positive things around Nussmeier.

positive as in upside in talent? or in where he stands with Texas?

IT Scoop - 20 relevant

Spoiler

On Kelvontay Dixon...the oft-mentioned Carthage playmaker and sibling of Texas tailback Keaontay Ingram made it to Austin for his OV. He's no stranger to the Forty Acres. He's attended Texas games since he was a freshman in high school. In his crib, it's burnt orange house.

“My official visit was great,” said Dixon. "You know, just being able to know a little bit more about each coach. Hanging with the players I've known for a long time too."

Coach Coleman is the guy that took over Dixon's recruitment in early December. He and Dixon have already bonded.

"We are building a great relationship," said Dixon. "His style reminds me of my HS coach, Coach Mac (who passed away earlier this season), who taught me how to be a great wide receiver and man."

The 6-foot-0, 175-pound three-star wants to make his decision before NSD2, then likely announce on Feb. 5th.

Dixon still wants to take his last official next weekend to Houston. I'm still thinking Texas here, but this one is getting close to the end.

On Savion Williams....the 6-foot-4 freak enjoyed his official visit to TCU and Frogs WR coach Malcolm Kelly continues to hold the edge in this pursuit. Texas WR coach Andre Coleman made a strong push for Williams last week, but his tentatively scheduled Texas official visit needs to happen for the Longhorns to have a chance.

TCU has recruited Williams for almost a year and it shows. While Texas has known about the Marshall commodity for over two years, waiting to offer a scholarship until last week was probably too long of a delay. In fact, it was.

Texas has five days to convince Williams to visit Austin, Or this one is over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop - 20 relevant

Hide contents

On Kelvontay Dixon...the oft-mentioned Carthage playmaker and sibling of Texas tailback Keaontay Ingram made it to Austin for his OV. He's no stranger to the Forty Acres. He's attended Texas games since he was a freshman in high school. In his crib, it's burnt orange house.

“My official visit was great,” said Dixon. "You know, just being able to know a little bit more about each coach. Hanging with the players I've known for a long time too."

Coach Coleman is the guy that took over Dixon's recruitment in early December. He and Dixon have already bonded.

"We are building a great relationship," said Dixon. "His style reminds me of my HS coach, Coach Mac (who passed away earlier this season), who taught me how to be a great wide receiver and man."

The 6-foot-0, 175-pound three-star wants to make his decision before NSD2, then likely announce on Feb. 5th.

Dixon still wants to take his last official next weekend to Houston. I'm still thinking Texas here, but this one is getting close to the end.

On Savion Williams....the 6-foot-4 freak enjoyed his official visit to TCU and Frogs WR coach Malcolm Kelly continues to hold the edge in this pursuit. Texas WR coach Andre Coleman made a strong push for Williams last week, but his tentatively scheduled Texas official visit needs to happen for the Longhorns to have a chance.

TCU has recruited Williams for almost a year and it shows. While Texas has known about the Marshall commodity for over two years, waiting to offer a scholarship until last week was probably too long of a delay. In fact, it was.

Texas has five days to convince Williams to visit Austin, Or this one is over.

Dixon's constant flirtation with G5 schools when he has plenty of commitable P5 offers is the weirdest damn thing. Guess he really wants early playing time?

Edited by texifornia

Wells thinks we close with Collins, Dixon and Rakestraw. Princely is unpredictable as he continues conversations with the Alabamas and Florida. No on Savion. 

I think he's a little too close to the Dixon recruitment to be objective, and it has never been in an optimal spot. He was committed to Arkansas, was one of their last staff change decommits, is seriously considering UTSA and UH, and would have committed by now if he was really the slam dunk that Wells thinks he is. So, I'm not buying it. 

He's probably right about Savion/Collins/Rakestraw and appropriately non-committal about Princely. 

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wells thinks we close with Collins, Dixon and Rakestraw. Princely is unpredictable as he continues conversations with the Alabamas and Florida. No on Savion. 

I think he's a little too close to the Dixon recruitment to be objective, and it has never been in an optimal spot. He was committed to Arkansas, was one of their last staff change decommits, is seriously considering UTSA and UH, and would have committed by now if he was really the slam dunk that Wells thinks he is. So, I'm not buying it. 

He's probably right about Savion/Collins/Rakestraw and appropriately non-committal about Princely. 

For the interested, Collins/Dixon/Rakestraw would give us the #8 class overall. We could jump Auburn for #7 if we add one more recruit in addition to the aforementioned three.

Could change with the 247 rankings being finalized tomorrow though.

6 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

For the interested, Collins/Dixon/Rakestraw would give us the #8 class overall. We could jump Auburn for #7 if we add one more recruit in addition to the aforementioned three.

Could change with the 247 rankings being finalized tomorrow though.

Other schools will also add players at NSD2. Anyway, despite holes at need positions LB and WR, I'd be very content with that class given the staff turnover. Also, I predict Collins is going to be this year's Owens/Overshown who makes a big jump to 5-star status on 247 and drives the Ags completely batshit with UT-bias conspiracy theories

Edited by irishtexan

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Other schools will also add players at NSD2. Anyway, despite holes at need positions LB and WR, I'd be very content with that class given the staff turnover. Also, I predict Collins is going to be this year's Owens/Overshown who makes a big jump to 5-star status on 247 and drives the Ags completely batshit with UT-bias conspiracy theories

The aggy boards will really be flowing with tears tomorrow if 247 bumps King down and Card goes up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

A lot of NSDs under Herman have been pretty freaking boring, though that’s not a bad thing, especially compared to Charlie reeling in half the class on MSD and half those guys not even making it to campus.

Still, it’ll be nice to actually have an announcement to anxiously follow on NSD.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Mehringer has definitely fucked us at WR, considering the talent that was available to us, but at least if Whittington moves back to WR and some guys with talent but not a ton of experience pan out, like Washington, Smith, Moore, Lewis, etc., we’ll have a pretty stacked WR room for the next 2-3 years, and we can make up for 2020 next cycle. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

A lot of NSDs under Herman have been pretty freaking boring, though that’s not a bad thing, especially compared to Charlie reeling in half the class on MSD and half those guys not even making it to campus.

Still, it’ll be nice to actually have an announcement to anxiously follow on NSD.

Mehringer has definitely fucked us at WR, considering the talent that was available to us, but at least if Whittington moves back to WR and some guys with talent but not a ton of experience pan out, like Washington, Smith, Moore, Lewis, etc., we’ll have a pretty stacked WR room for the next 2-3 years, and we can make up for 2020 next cycle. 

It's obvious that great teams must have 2-3 stud WR's who can make plays and make the QB look good.  Gotta have'm.  So, those we have must come thru and stay healthy if we are to win 10 games.