LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

I honestly don’t know what to expect in this game which is why I’m not talking shit.  I’ve watched both these teams closely over the last two seasons.  Both are capable of winning this game and both are capable of blowing it in the fourth quarter.  I just hope it doesn’t come down to something dumb like an obvious blown call or poor officiating in general.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I honestly don’t know what to expect in this game which is why I’m not talking shit.  I’ve watched both these teams closely over the last two seasons.  Both are capable of winning this game and both are capable of blowing it in the fourth quarter.  I just hope it doesn’t come down to something dumb like an obvious blown call or poor officiating in general.

No worries, big12 refs are out fucking up other games right now. See Miami/Florida and Boise St/Florida St so far.

Are you coming in for the game?

12 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Are you coming in for the game?

I planned on it but my game buddy decided to get married and go on his honeymoon so we cancelled the Texas/LSU game trip.  I really wanted to go too but shit happens.  The wedding was awesome though, San Fernando Cathedral/river walk.  Big catholic wedding, everyone got hammered.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

Wow I remember some Georgia fans coming in cocksure ahead of the SB, and stirring some shit...but these LSU trolls are something else...I really hope Texas pushes that shit in, watching Georgia get steamrolled after Bevo literally tried to kill their mascot was incredibly rewarding last year and now you assholes have me hoping for another curb stomp   

I say ‘Texas’ because I’ve been a guest here since 2010...class of ‘02 from OkState for my undergrad...and as much as I love getting whipped into a froth with the actual Horns here, root them on as the biggest show in town, etc I know better than to kick the hornets nest because that shit tends to come back around   

So as someone from a fan base that actually has had a little bit of recent success against Texas  (yeah refs I know, stfu I’m trying to make a point) but purposely chooses to humbly take it in stride as a function of both karma and respect...you haven’t earned any kind of currency to wave your muledicks around, at least prove it on the field before you let your cunt hairs show.  

BTW I heard Thujone killed LSUFreek and sired South Austin on the same weekend, is that true?

Championship level hydration, right here.

12 hours ago, JBJ said:

Boobs!

=TD’s.

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I planned on it but my game buddy decided to get married and go on his honeymoon so we cancelled the Texas/LSU game trip.  I really wanted to go too but shit happens.  The wedding was awesome though, San Fernando Cathedral/river walk.  Big catholic wedding, everyone got hammered.

spacer.png

Bayou Defense

LSU is a Man-1 team the majority of the time.  They press their corners, use safeties over TEs, and ask their ILBs to chase RBs.  They mix in Fire Zones and Cover 3 as a constraint, but no Cover 2 or split zones.

Upfront is a 3-4 Tite.  This should look familiar, so I'll skip details.

They go Nickel by replacing overhang LBers with overhang hybrids.  They also employ a 3-3 Stack to stop spread runs, and a 2-4 pass rushing package.

They have a big dime package very similar to our personnel (safety/olb hybrids), but they haven't incorporated a joker safety postition as part of it.  It plays the same as their base, just lighter and faster.

Georgia is the best comp overall, but LSU doesn't shift fronts to formation like UGA did - instead they rely on run support from their safeties, or make a coaching adjustment to a Stack.

They adjusted several times to Bama's attack, but couldn't find the right balance (overall that wasn't a terrible defensive performance by any means).  They were stubborn against UCF, and it was a middling defensive performance (by LSU standards), but it was enough to win.  So there's no clear direction on how the in-game chess will play out.

I had them pegged as the #9 overall defense last year (UGA came in #8, ISU #13) and expect them to be top 5 this year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Does your OL have 5 NFL players, because OU did last year, and they couldn't stop our front 7 from being disruptive?

As I see it, this is not the NFL, but otherwise you make an excellent point.  Secondly, I think the ONLY way that UT gets consistent pressure on the JB is through some very well disguised and timely blitzes.  JB, from what I have seen, is very good at reading defenses, of course not so sharp as Mr. Ehlinger, but he can hold his own.  JB will have plenty of targeting options allowing him to get rid of the ball on a hot read.  It seems reasonable also that LSU receivers will find themselves behind the vaunted and extremely talented UT secondary, aka DBU.  This eventuality will have not just a sobering effect on  longhorn nation, but also really loosen the defense making it more vulnerable to LSU's non-existent run game.

On the flip side, the LSU defense seems enthusiastic this year compared to the recent past in which they often appeared disinterested and, frankly, confused.  Something tells me that Aranda has them really in a tightly cohesive resonance that one typically only sees in a physics lab at Cal tech for instance.  They seem to recognize well presnap, but of course will be facing a legendary Tom Herman offense.  That is enough to make any competent DC tremble.  I see LSU getting pressure on SE when the run game stalls.  I think that Mr. Herman will be tempted to test Stingley since he is an ignorant and impressionable freshman.  This would be a mistake, but do not take my word for it.  Watch for yourselves on Saturday.  

Prediction:

LSU wins by at least double digits.

• Fuck You 4

4 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

As I see it, this is not the NFL, but otherwise you make an excellent point.  Secondly, I think the ONLY way that UT gets consistent pressure on the JB is through some very well disguised and timely blitzes.  JB, from what I have seen, is very good at reading defenses, of course not so sharp as Mr. Ehlinger, but he can hold his own.  JB will have plenty of targeting options allowing him to get rid of the ball on a hot read.  It seems reasonable also that LSU receivers will find themselves behind the vaunted and extremely talented UT secondary, aka DBU.  This eventuality will have not just a sobering effect on  longhorn nation, but also really loosen the defense making it more vulnerable to LSU's non-existent run game.

On the flip side, the LSU defense seems enthusiastic this year compared to the recent past in which they often appeared disinterested and, frankly, confused.  Something tells me that Aranda has them really in a tightly cohesive resonance that one typically only sees in a physics lab at Cal tech for instance.  They seem to recognize well presnap, but of course will be facing a legendary Tom Herman offense.  That is enough to make any competent DC tremble.  I see LSU getting pressure on SE when the run game stalls.  I think that Mr. Herman will be tempted to test Stingley since he is an ignorant and impressionable freshman.  This would be a mistake, but do not take my word for it.  Watch for yourselves on Saturday.  

Prediction:

Fromm was thoroughly confused by the Texas defense last year in the Sugar Bowl, he had no idea where the blitzer was coming from, and after several series, he was 2nd guessing himself which lead to a lot of bad throws. Burrow will have to be consistent in his pre-snap diagnosis, I just don't see him doing it because he's a functional retard playing the position, coached by a equal functioning retard.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Joe Burrow had *three* completed passes of 10+ yards last Saturday. Almost all of his passes in that gaudy completion percentage came via short dink-and-dunk screens. 

It makes one wonder whether all that quick passing was because they were worried about the capability of their OL..

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Fromm was thoroughly confused by the Texas defense last year in the Sugar Bowl, he had no idea where the blitzer was coming from, and after several series, he was 2nd guessing himself which lead to a lot of bad throws. Burrow will have to be consistent in his pre-snap diagnosis, I just don't see him doing it.

I do not disagree.  It JB can beat the blitz it may be church for the horns.  

4 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

the LSU defense seems enthusiastic this year compared to the recent past in which they often appeared disinterested and, frankly, confused.

Jesus Christ - you guys beat Georgia Southern and seem to think beating us will be just as easy as dominating a 6 loss Miami team from last year. If your defense looked shitty last week, you’d have some major problems, but luckily they were “enthusiastic” - whatever the fuck that means 

3 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Prediction:

Burrow can’t be effective making hot reads if the defense is disguised.

Burrow will get cocky and try to force the ball downfield. LSU will revert to boring, predictable offense after Stearn’s second pick.

Our run game won’t stall unless there’s an injury.

Chaisson’s enthusiasm will stall after Cosmi’s third pancake.

Honestly, the last time I saw this much arrogance from a team was 2005 USC. At least they had some skins on the wall and two Heisman winners. Not some offense who has been shut out twice in three years against its biggest conference challenger. But sure. Burrows is the second coming of Drew Brees bc your non-play calling passing game coordinator used to work for the Saints. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

... LSU wins by at least double digits.

So... we don't have to worry about getting our asses kicked by, say, 110-7? Good to know.

EDIT: Huck got there before me. Maths and English - how do they co-exist, ever?

Edited by Tex Long
Kudos
  • Like 1

LSU has a ton of talent. Their defense is for real. The Texas OL showed up bigly against LaTech, but we'll start to find out now if it was them or the opponent.

The Texas defense is no place to learn the spread. I know the Tigers fans are giddy over seeing a pass thrown and more than 2 receivers on the field at once. Here in the Big 12, we call that "Saturday". It literally happens to us every week. Every team, for the last 10 years, plays at least some type of that game in the Big 12. We've built a defense to stop literally nothing but that. The best spread offenses, collectively, live in the Big 12.

A previous post said we wouldn't pressure Burrow without well timed and well disguised blitzes. You just described Orlando's standard defense. Like, every play. We're one DL and an assortment of guys ranging from fast and strong to faster and stronger. A strength of the spread offense is counting the defenders and attacking where they lack numbers. The Texas defense doesn't stand still to be counted. It's just impossible to tell who's covering or who's rushing until the ball is snapped. "Getting the ball out quickly" is all fine and good, but if you miscounted, then we'll see if Joe Burrow is faster than Joe Ossai.

I'm not gutsy enough to predict an easy Texas win. The Tigers are a for-real opponent, and winning will be earned.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Do you understand that what you wrote implies a triple digit victory is a possibility? I'm genuinely curious as I'm not familiar with the Louisiana education system. 

Well, it could also in theory mean 4 digits, but the alternative was to say more than single digits so I went with double digit win as I assumed, perhaps in error, that because since Georgia Tech's victory over Cumberland by 222-0 many, many years ago (1916) was the only time that a triple digit victory occurred, that the likelihood of something like that happening again, even against UT, was remote and understood by all.  But thanks for pointing that out.

3 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

LSU has a ton of talent. Their defense is for real. The Texas OL showed up bigly against LaTech, but we'll start to find out now if it was them or the opponent.

The Texas defense is no place to learn the spread. I know the Tigers fans are giddy over seeing a pass thrown and more than 2 receivers on the field at once. Here in the Big 12, we call that "Saturday". It literally happens to us every week. Every team, for the last 10 years, plays at least some type of that game in the Big 12. We've built a defense to stop literally nothing but that. The best spread offenses, collectively, live in the Big 12.

A previous post said we wouldn't pressure Burrow without well timed and well disguised blitzes. You just described Orlando's standard defense. Like, every play. We're one DL and an assortment of guys ranging from fast and strong to faster and stronger. A strength of the spread offense is counting the defenders and attacking where they lack numbers. The Texas defense doesn't stand still to be counted. It's just impossible to tell who's covering or who's rushing until the ball is snapped. "Getting the ball out quickly" is all fine and good, but if you miscounted, then we'll see if Joe Burrow is faster than Joe Ossai.

I'm not gutsy enough to predict an easy Texas win. The Tigers are a for-real opponent, and winning will be earned.

I do not think it will be easy either way, my somewhat sarcastic posts to the contrary.  However, if LSU is dialed in as they appeared to be against GASO, I am confident that they will win.  It is a big game for both programs and coaches who are relatively new to their programs.  I am looking forward to it.  I do not see UT as a Miami in any respect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Well, it could also in theory mean 4 digits, but the alternative was to say more than single digits so I went with double digit win as I assumed, perhaps in error, that because since Georgia Tech's victory over Cumberland by 222-0 many, many years ago (1916) was the only time that a triple digit victory occurred, that the likelihood of something like that happening again, even against UT, was remote and understood by all.  But thanks for pointing that out.

No, the alternative was to say 10+. 

And GTech's win was not the only > double digits win, but it was the largest margin. And it was because they were still using a lot of Rugby rules, including the one where the team that gets scored on has to kick off.

It's okay to say stupid shit, but defending it isn't.

29 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

I do not think it will be easy either way, my somewhat sarcastic posts to the contrary.  However, if LSU is dialed in as they appeared to be against GASO, I am confident that they will win.  It is a big game for both programs and coaches who are relatively new to their programs.  I am looking forward to it.  I do not see UT as a Miami in any respect.

Neither of the games at the beginning of this season have really proved much. We both beat Georgia by similar numbers last season so that tells me this game will be close regardless of how much each team has improved in the offseason. Two great teams claiming "theyre back" so we'll see. Not 100% confident we're "back enough" to win a game on the road against a solid team like Texas.