Westphalia's Church Burned To The Ground

El Diablo

Just now, El Diablo said:

Westphalia, TX that is. Burned down earlier today. Church was 125 years old and was the largest all wood structure west of the Mississippi when it was completed in the 1890's.

How far is that from Eastphalia, TX?

• Like 1

Sad day.  My great-grandparents were some of the original settlers of the area, and my great-grandpa helped with the construction of the original structure and the one that burned down today.   I've attended countless events there and still make it our for the picnic each year.   I bet this year's picnic raises enough money to rebuild but many parts of that building can never be replaced.   The stained glass windows were truly priceless.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I saw a headline for this earlier. Any suspicious activity or is this another tragic accident?

I don't care whose religion it is. Any building that is simultaneously art and a place is a great loss.

@Bill Brasky if you let us know we'll probably get some picnic tickets and not go. 

Unconfirmed rumor is that it was an electrical fire, supposedly they had issues yesterday during the Sunday service 

The picnic is traditionally the second Sunday in October, plates are $10 and they serve about 5000-6000+ plates each year.   You don't have to eat there, you can get them to-go if you are passing through on the way back from Texas-OU.   Or if you want to drink some beer and listen to some polka you can do that too.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Unconfirmed rumor is that it was an electrical fire, supposedly they had issues yesterday during the Sunday service 

The picnic is traditionally the second Sunday in October, plates are $10 and they serve about 5000-6000+ plates each year.   You don't have to eat there, you can get them to-go if you are passing through on the way back from Texas-OU.   Or if you want to drink some beer and listen to some polka you can do that too.   

You're missing what I'm saying. I'd like to go and see everything, but I doubt that I'll ever get there. Nevertheless, I'd like to throw some cash their way. We're a buncha assholes but we usually find some dollars for a good cause. I consider the rebuilding of a historic landmark to be one.

I don't know how old or up to date the wiring in the church was, I think I read that it was last renovated in 1979, but that and possibly a votive candle would be my first suspects. In addition to the stained glass the church also housed a pipe organ that was around 100 years old.

Those little farm community churches like Westphalia are a touchstone of my childhood. Peaceful. Soul stirring. The picnics, the funerals, the weddings. I haven't been there in 45 years but, and perhaps it's just nostalgia, this makes me sadder than it should.

13 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

Sad day.  My great-grandparents were some of the original settlers of the area, and my great-grandpa helped with the construction of the original structure and the one that burned down today.   I've attended countless events there and still make it our for the picnic each year.   I bet this year's picnic raises enough money to rebuild but many parts of that building can never be replaced.   The stained glass windows were truly priceless.

well, get your ass to work and quit riding on great grandpappy's coattails.  /surly