Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Wife is at HEB.  I had told her to get 2 pounds of the catfish filets that are on sale.

Of course, the phone just rang.

"These filets are pretty small."

"And?"

"Well, do you want me to get more of them?"

"No I want you to get 2 pounds, whether they're big or small."

"OK."

I wish I were making this up.

tenor.gif?itemid=6081931

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She's coming home with two small filets. 

She’s coming home with larger filets of a different fish.

22 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I've used the auto responder for texts while driving for a while now.  Wife knows this and I've told her numerous times to call if it can't wait until I get home.

At least once a week as I'm walking in the door she will ask if I got her texts.  

Tommy Lee Jones look...

My wife will text me on my way home.  Auto-response is "I'm driving right now - I'll get back to you later."  I will then get what I assume is her auto-response of "I hate that message."

• Like 1

Mrs CL keeps telling me something is wrong with her car. The bluetooth doesn't recognize her phone anymore and she has to keep answering on the handset.

I tell her to reset the phone. Then re-pair it with the car. She says she tried "EVERYTHING" and it won't work. 

She reminds me over the weekend about it so I get the keys to her car and go out to try and figure out what's going on.

She had bluetooth turned off on the phone. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Mrs CL keeps telling me something is wrong with her car. The bluetooth doesn't recognize her phone anymore and she has to keep answering on the handset.

I tell her to reset the phone. Then re-pair it with the car. She says she tried "EVERYTHING" and it won't work. 

She reminds me over the weekend about it so I get the keys to her car and go out to try and figure out what's going on.

She had bluetooth turned off on the phone. 

well, she tried EVERYTHING man, what the hell do you expect.  obviously its not as simple as the bluetooth being turned off!!!!!

-lol j/k   

obvious troubleshooting issue is obvious

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah! More dip packets! 

4 cans of ginger...for that one recipe we make 2-3x/ year.

Making shopping list?  Whatever you do, don’t look in the pantry first!!!

18 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Wife is at HEB.  I had told her to get 2 pounds of the catfish filets that are on sale.

Of course, the phone just rang.

"These filets are pretty small."

"And?"

"Well, do you want me to get more of them?"

"No I want you to get 2 pounds, whether they're big or small."

"OK."

I wish I were making this up.

This is about as On Point as a post can get on this thread.  Perfection.

• Like 1

My wife was bitchy this morning because "YOU (me) forgot to run the dishwasher last night!"  Told her that I set it up and left it ready to go on the timer before bed.  Of course the detergent was in the tray like I left it.  Of course its still my fault.  On the way to work this morning, she calls and says "I can't get any of the lights to come on on the control panel, somethings wrong".  So I'm thinking through the possibilities, and figuring out why/how this dishwasher hasn't lasted very long, when she calls back and says "the wall switch was off".  Oldest son must have hit the switch when he turned out the lights before he went to bed.  I'm waiting to see if she climbs up his backside when he gets home from work.

TL/DR - Wife didn't check the dishwasher wall switch and blames me for dirty dishes this morning.

48 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Who put your dishwasher on a circuit controlled by a wall switch? That's the real stupid shit.

I think there was a whole 20 pages of the last wives thread dedicated to this.

I've also never seen it and think its fucking idiotic btw.

37 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My old house (built in 1954) had a light switch that cut off all the power in that bedroom. Stupid.

There's a triple switch in my living room, one of which turns off the outlet for the television set. Can't tell you how many times during the 1980s I had to reset the clock and programming on the VCR because my wife flipped the wrong switch.   

46 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And no doubt, the wife would turn that switch, thereby cutting off the essential bliss of the ceiling fan  

I wised up quick, put some tape on the switch. Then I turned that room into the kids' playroom and avoided it all together.

I have a wall switch that controls an outlet. I guess you can plug a lamp in it and turn the light off and on that way. But the switch is in a completely different room than the outlet in controls. That outlet was the one I used for our deep freezer. Guess how I found out that that switch controlled  that outlet.........

1 hour ago, Stoogey said:

There's a triple switch in my living room, one of which turns off the outlet for the television set. Can't tell you how many times during the 1980s I had to reset the clock and programming on the VCR because my wife flipped the wrong switch.   

If you are not going to have it rewired, then for any of these weird switch issues you should put tape over the switch in the on position.   If they break the tape to turn off the power then you can add it to this thread, otherwise this is on you.

22 minutes ago, ABSR said:

If you are not going to have it rewired, then for any of these weird switch issues you should put tape over the switch in the on position.   If they break the tape to turn off the power then you can add it to this thread, otherwise this is on you.

.... or, if you don't live in a trailer you can always open the box and unwire that switch.

Edited by AM Wood

Dishwashers are wired to wall switches because they are typically hardwired onto 110V shared circuits and you can't just unplug it like a refrigerator. 

Much safer for a plumber or some other repairman to work on it without it being energized (and wet) and much easier and convenient to do that with a regular wall switch than going outside and flipping the breaker for the whole kitchen. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Dishwashers are wired to wall switches because they are typically hardwired onto 110V shared circuits and you can't just unplug it like a refrigerator. 

Much safer for a plumber or some other repairman to work on it without it being energized (and wet) and much easier and convenient to do that with a regular wall switch than going outside and flipping the breaker for the whole kitchen. 

this sounds super convenient for the never amount of times most people will need that convenience.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

22 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Way ahead of you. My house is almost one hundred years old. Not as easy as it sounds. Replacements parts such as fuses were getting hard to find. Whenever I went to a small town with an old hardware store I'd buy all the fuses. (Pre-internet.) Had circuit breakers installed twenty-some years ago to replace assorted fuse boxes and switches that looked like they came out of Dr Frankenstein's lab. Also had the cloth-insulation wiring and wall switches replaced to bring things up to code.

The switch looked something like this:

D7Mn6oYo_o.jpg

My power goes out two or three times a year so I still have the infinite pleasure of resetting the microwave oven clock.

29 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I believe that electrical code requires a dishwasher to have an accessible disconnect.  This can be accomplished by having it wired through a GFCI switch.

My general feeling from this interlude and the 10,000 words from the Shag is that it is a somewhat obscure code in localities in parts of Texas and southwest areas given the majority of people are mystified by this. Personally I have lived in several states on both coasts in all sorts of vintages of house and have never seen anything remotely like it. I'm also a contractor. 

• Like 1

Way ahead of you. My house is almost one hundred years old. Not as easy as it sounds. Replacements parts such as fuses were getting hard to find. Whenever I went to a small town with an old hardware store I'd buy all the fuses. (Pre-internet.) Had circuit breakers installed twenty-some years ago to replace assorted fuse boxes and switches that looked like they came out of Dr Frankenstein's lab. Also had the cloth-insulation wiring and wall switches replaced to bring things up to code.

The switch looked something like this:

D7Mn6oYo_o.jpg

My power goes out two or three times a year so I still have the infinite pleasure of resetting the microwave oven clock.

That’s bad ass

My general feeling from this interlude and the 10,000 words from the Shag is that it is a somewhat obscure code in localities in parts of Texas and southwest areas given the majority of people are mystified by this. Personally I have lived in several states on both coasts in all sorts of vintages of house and have never seen anything remotely like it. I'm also a contractor. 

Just because you are a contractor does that mean you think you know more about this than our resident stripper expert?
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't believe that a breaker panel counts as a means of disconnect unless the panel is in the kitchen or has a breaker lock.  

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

As a developer (meaning I can’t actually build shit) for a couple of decades, the one thing I have learned is that you can ask 10 guys the same code question and you’ll always get at least 14 different answers.

14 is on the low side.

43 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I don't believe that a breaker panel counts as a means of disconnect unless the panel is in the kitchen or has a breaker lock.  

No, it doesnt. Most places dont requitlre a disconnect. @NeverMarryAStripper is right that a GFCI counts usually though. My dishwasher goes through one I know. My refrigerator however doesn't. 

Anyway....

We made a big drive through west Texas, including Big Bend.  I took the scenic route from Presidio to Lajitas to see DOM.

In Presidio, she asks: "Is it safe to assume that most of the people who live here are Hispanic?"

I laughed all the way back to Alpine.

3 hours ago, Stoogey said:

We had one of these when I was a kid.  My dad covered it in tape and told my mom and us kids to "keep your damned hands off the one with tape".