Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

I told her I would do a seafood boil for dinner tonight if she went to the store.   I gave her a specific list of ingredients.  We have shopped together for this exact meal before.  She knows that I like Central Market's andouille sausage from the meat counter.  She brings home some pre- packaged turkey andouille.  At least the shrimp, crab legs, potatoes, and corn were good.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I told her I would do a seafood boil for dinner tonight if she went to the store.   I gave her a specific list of ingredients.  We have shopped together for this exact meal before.  She knows that I like Central Market's andouille sausage from the meat counter.  She brings home some pre- packaged turkey andouille.  At least the shrimp, crab legs, potatoes, and corn were good.

lol_idi_amin.gif

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

lol_idi_amin.gif

The night before our rehearsal dinner, my soon-to-be wife and I decided at the last minute to have the early out of town guests over to our new house for dinner. I was just going to grill hamburgers with potato chips on paper plates. Nothing fancy. Nothing special. Very easy meal to throw together. 

It was originally supposed to be about 10 people but quickly grew into about 20 as these things often do. Wife said she'd stop at the grocery store on her way home from work. I told her, "Just get normal hamburger stuff: frozen patties, buns, mustard and ketchup etc etc".

She showed up 10 minutes after the hungry guests has already started arriving and had driven 30 minutes out of her way to Central Market. She came home with about 2 lbs of organic ground beef, a package of 8 artisan whole wheat hamburger buns, and some kind of froufrou designer spicy catsup. My best man and I had to run to Walmart to get frozen hamburger patties and Mrs Baird's buns and Heinz ketchup. She later chastised me for serving "cheap Walmart food" to our guests. 

That was one of the first instances of the virtue signaling that I now know so well from her. These days I do let her do the grocery shopping for our family, but if we are having people over, I am ALWAYS in charge of procuring the food. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dude. Frozen hamburger patties?

Yeah, when grilling at home (or really anywhere not far afield) you always go fresh. Just get the patties from the meat counter, or get a few pounds of beef and form your own patties. Again, I think my sarcasm meter is on the fritz this morning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Yeah, when grilling at home (or really anywhere not far afield) you always go fresh. Just get the patties from the meat counter, or get a few pounds of beef and form your own patties. Again, I think my sarcasm meter is on the fritz this morning.

I mean, this is my answer. Apparently investing microscopically more effort in procuring decent food is high falutin elitiest snobbery.

9 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Fuck all y'all. For the grill frozen patties are great. They hold their shape and cook more evenly and uniformly than handmade meat clods. Much easier to manage when you are cooking for more than 3-4 people. 

Do you get the ones with cheese already mixed in?

36 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

The physics is not in your favor with this comment. Larger temperature differential means less uniform cooking.

Nope. I'll disagree and it's the opposite of what you're saying.

Big thick handmade burgers burn more quickly on the outside by the time the inside is cooked. 

The frozen ones being thinner and of a uniform thickness and frozen on the outside don't burn as quickly from the direct heat. 

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Fuck all y'all. For the grill frozen patties are great. They hold their shape and cook more evenly and uniformly than handmade meat clods. Much easier to manage when you are cooking for more than 3-4 people. 

But they're not hand-crafted by artisans.

3 hours ago, 936horn said:

yeah, not me. if i need to quickly cook up 40 patties for hungry guests i'm doing it manufacturing line style.

Eh, depends on where you get em. Frenchys are awesome, pre-seasoned n sheeit.

I like to slap my own, even if I'm making 20 burgers. 

Big thick handmade burgers burn more quickly on the outside by the time the inside is cooked. 

The frozen ones being thinner and of a uniform thickness and frozen on the outside don't burn as quickly from the direct heat. 

While throwing chicken fajitas into the freezer for 45 minutes before putting them on the grill is a great way to keep them from getting over cooked I wouldn't try it with burgers.

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Uhhh . . . .  Okay.  

Avatar flies out of town for a few days on a direct flight where AA lost her bag.

Me:  When did they say they were going to have it up to you?

M:  Not a lot of flights up to there.  How much are they compensating you for the stuff you gotta go buy?

A: It's usually not a lot.

M:  That equates to how much?

A:  I don't know.  I'll have to turn in receipts.

M:  They didn't tell you at the baggage office?

A:  I didn't go into the baggage office.  I just got a notice on my phone that the bag didn't make it.

M:  So you don't know when it's coming and you don't know how much they are going to reimburse you because you didn't take 10-15 minutes to pitch a complaint?  Glad I won't have to hear any complaints about this ever again.

A: Tone

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Exactly how cooked are you getting the middle?  I think the issue may be that you don’t know when a burger is correctly done.