Things not going well for James Franklin

Parliament

6 hours ago, heso said:

So you prevented someone, that more than likely is disgusted by what happened, from getting a job because members of the administration and athletic staff at that school were pieces of shit and you like to hold a grudge against the school for it? You seem like a pretty level headed person outside of this so I’m going to assume that they were otherwise unqualified for the job and you just like to claim that this is the reason they  were cut from the running. If not, you’re a piece of shit. But no doubt you’ll get plenty of pats on the back for it in here. 

He was unqualified because he chose to get a degree from Penn State after the Sandusky scandal.  If he was disgusted by what happened, then he never would have set foot in State College.  Instead, he chose to spend four years there.   And I didn't prevent him from getting a job.  I prevented him from getting a job in my department. 

And I would do the exact same thing if I ever saw application from someone from Baylor.

Edited by Beau Vine

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess not many people here had the misfortune of running into groups of Penn State fans after what came out in Happy Valley with Paterno, or in the following years. I had the misfortune on several occasions. To a person they were all in denial, and as time went on more and more of them that I've encountered have dismissed it entirely and gone back to canonizing a child rape enabling Joe Paterno. If you bring it up, they get real aggressive. Which suits me fine. 

I haven't yet, NOT ONCE, met a Baylor alum that has shown any embarrassment, contrition, or even acceptance of any wrongdoing that takes place at Baylor. Not even the women, although I'm sure there are PLENTY of women that do feel that way, considering that statistically there's a great chance many of them were victims of a culture designed to marginalize and attack women. But I haven't met one yet, and I live and work in Houston and I run into a lot of them. 

I can pick an aggy out of a a crowd at 50 paces, and aggy jokes exist for a reason. If you don't think that there are consistent traits that more often than not exist across different people because of a common cultural environment, then I don't know what the fuck to tell you. Maybe stop by the Zach Smith thread and ask Parliament to tell you how he feels about Courtney Smith. 

What I do know, is that if I have two candidates for a position and they are both similarly qualified, guess what, I'm going to err on the side of caution and hire the one that doesn't have ties to a fucking amoral institution that willingly and repeatedly allows innocent people to be victimized, and specifically raped. 

I've met contrite Baylor grads. Never met a Penn State grad with an ounce of remorse for the Paterno scandal.

Then again, they're usually pretty douchey to begin with.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I've met contrite Baylor grads. Never met a Penn State grad with an ounce of remorse for the Paterno scandal.

Then again, they're usually pretty douchey to begin with.

Take a picture next time you encounter one and post it on Surly. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but I can enjoy pictures of rare species in their natural habitats as much as any man. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, heso said:

So you prevented someone, that more than likely is disgusted by what happened, from getting a job because members of the administration and athletic staff at that school were pieces of shit and you like to hold a grudge against the school for it? You seem like a pretty level headed person outside of this so I’m going to assume that they were otherwise unqualified for the job and you just like to claim that this is the reason they  were cut from the running. If not, you’re a piece of shit. But no doubt you’ll get plenty of pats on the back for it in here. 

Relax-Surly-Gal.jpg

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Take a picture next time you encounter one and post it on Surly. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but I can enjoy pictures of rare species in their natural habitats as much as any man. 

They were a young couple getting their MDiv's at Union Theological Seminary. Nice folks. I no longer date our mutual acquaintance, though, so I'll probably never see them again.

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Just remember, our coaching choices after Mack finally left were Strong, Franklin, Fedora, and Gruden.  What a shit show of a coaching search by our proud and illustrious AD. 

But I learned on hornfans that being the unappreciative bastards we are, rehiring Mackovic was our only option 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, DaggerHorns said:

Between fucking little boys, finger banging gymnasts, getting free tattoos, supporting women beating, and not “playing school” the BIG 10 is not a place for academic prowess or grooming the youth of America.

And the feds haven't really begun to scratch the surface on tOSU wrestling/et al scandal.  Not gonna cloak room it up, there's a reason for the delay, but it's coming.

The idea that a university is going to somehow be upset with a coach for pressuring a doctor to allow an injured player to get back on the field after they went back and forth on the whole “is child rape really THAT bad?” dilemma is kind of funny to me. 

If they found out he murdered the doctor’s children after joining ISIS he would still get a statue made if he won the Rose Bowl. 

• 3 weeks later...

As if I needed more reasons to hate Gladwell

https://deadspin.com/malcolm-gladwell-goes-on-bill-simmonss-podcast-to-dust-1838218193?fbclid=IwAR3qU8JX9-5QA7wJNP7t_dTGElatFeRtZWyUaWrJtVtMi39P64LEvG8W0t8

Gladwell: You know I have that chapter on Jerry Sandusky in my book, and it’s all about how I feel the leadership of Penn State was totally, outrageously attacked over this. I think they’re blameless.

Simmons: Yeah.

Gladwell: But with Joe Paterno... Joe Paterno essentially did nothing wrong. He hears the allegation and immediately tells his superiors, and the critique of Joe Paterno was essentially, “Why was a 75-year-old football coach not behaving towards a suspected pedophile with the savvy and insight of a psychiatrist?”

9 minutes ago, Eggo said:

well fuck.  I literally just started this podcast.  Still on the intro when I read this.  Now I have to turn it off or possibly throw up on my PC.