2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Ah yes the Trump is fascist/Hitler angle. 

Tell me something Brisket, why don’t all these politicians and media that push that narrative balk at expanding military budgets, renewing NDAA, endlessly applaud any and all offensive actions, and chastise any efforts at peace?

Why hand more power to a budding fascist? 

Maybe they don’t really believe he is one. Maybe it’s just a good narrative to use to try to get themselves back into power. Maybe they’re just using fear to get votes as is always criticized (rightly) around here.  They’ve got some of y’all wound up well. 

If you can talk him off that ledge mo power to you. I tried to ply him with donuts to go rant at his local GOP gathering and he is too kind to do that to his friends. 

Maybe we should all pitch in and get him a pound of weed or something

• Like 1

Trump tells AP he won’t accept blame if GOP loses the house.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tells-ap-hes-not-221553318.html

trump is an embarassing 70 year old manchild. If something happening is good, he’s there to try and take credit. If something happening is bad, he’s always the first one to say it’s not his fault. 

• Like 1

If you can talk him off that ledge mo power to you. I tried to ply him with donuts to go rant at his local GOP gathering and he is too kind to do that to his friends. 
Maybe we should all pitch in and get him a pound of weed or something

It doesn’t surprise me that his schtick is Internet-only. It’s not real. Just like all social media politics.

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I honestly don’t know what to think of those numbers. Good or bad? I don’t see why Georgians would be excited about voting for a guy who points shotguns at teenagers, but then again I don’t live there.

Huh? Higher turnout always helps Dems. You think more black voters are coming out to vote for someone who is actively trying to suppress their vote?

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It doesn’t surprise me that his schtick is Internet-only. It’s not real. Just like all social media politics.

No, I believe he thinks it every dram down. Seems like a few months ago he confessed that the woman got on his ass for being so. Friendo of the GOP and him can commiserate on the porch and he'll vent but it's not in him to disrupt the gathering. 

Around here it's guns a blazing. 

As we all should. I don't expect Phlegm to be the same IRL either. 

Steel sharpens steel. I expect no less than the most unfiltered Cassandra he has. The problem is when we carry on at the house the same way. 

Holy shit y'all.  Mike Levin in CA 49 is going as negative as I can remember in a local race.  Every day I get at least 1 mailer, sometimes 2, telling me what a fucking corrupt piece of shit Diane Harkey is (and she is, there's no doubt).   I find it a bit distasteful, to be honest.  Harkey's husband should be in prison, and Harkey has benefited tremendously from his thievery.  She should probably be in the slammer too, truth be told, but fuck, Levin is hitting a bit too hard IMO

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Holy shit y'all.  Mike Levin in CA 49 is going as negative as I can remember in a local race.  Every day I get at least 1 mailer, sometimes 2, telling me what a fucking corrupt piece of shit Diane Harkey is (and she is, there's no doubt).   I find it a bit distasteful, to be honest.  Harkey's husband should be in prison, and Harkey has benefited tremendously from his thievery.  She should probably be in the slammer too, truth be told, but fuck, Levin is hitting a bit too hard IMO

Sometimes you got to do it, you can’t play nice with them now, look at the president and say, yup we need to hit him back 

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/10/17/hurricane-michael-florida-elections-909887?__twitter_impression=true

this article makes me think the repubs are going to use hurricane Michael aftermath to cheat in Florida somehow. Rick Scott is so shady and a terrible candidate. He’s even gone against the will of the people in Florida several times. I’m baffled as to how the guy keeps winning elections over there. 

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/10/17/hurricane-michael-florida-elections-909887?__twitter_impression=true

this article makes me think the repubs are going to use hurricane Michael aftermath to cheat in Florida somehow. Rick Scott is so shady and a terrible candidate. He’s even gone against the will of the people in Florida several times. I’m baffled as to how the guy keeps winning elections over there. 

I strongly suspect he's going to delay the state elections in order to separate himself from the Governor's race.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I strongly suspect he's going to delay the state elections in order to separate himself from the Governor's race.

And would buy detrumpis more time to gain on Gillum whose led in every poll. 

If I had a choice, I’d want to win the governor race more than the senate seat. It’s such a pivotal swing state. Dems haven’t had a governor in Florida since 1999

Non partisan cook political report moves 2 house races towards the democrats today 

Ohio 12 - Troy Balderson is struggling to put away Danny o’connor. Race moved from lean R to toss up.

new York 11 - Democrat is doing better than expected, but still a tough race to win. Moves from likely R to lean R.

Hope to see a lot more races move towards the Dems over the next few weeks. The repubs really haven’t done anything to prove they deserve keeping their house majority. Cutting taxes for the rich shouldn’t get them more seats.

Kyle Kondik has a pretty expansive "State of the Race" House column for Crystal Ball today.

TL;DR is they see D's picking up 17 seats at a minimum, with multiple potential avenues to get the additional 6 needed for a majority.

http://crystalball.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-drive-for-25-an-updated-seat-by-seat-analysis-of-the-democrats-quest-in-the-house/

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Poor Republicans. They have it so hard. 

There is something deeply wrong with the basic humanity of pretty much anyone willing to run for office as a Republican today. Any remotely decent person doesn't want to have anything to do with what's required to run for office as a Republican, so they end up running these malevolent shits in every race. Yet the halfway-decent Republican voters still vote for them, because Team R. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There is something deeply wrong with the basic humanity of pretty much anyone willing to run for office as a Republican today. Any remotely decent person doesn't want to have anything to do with what's required to run for office as a Republican, so they end up running these malevolent shits in every race. Yet the halfway-decent Republican voters still vote for them, because Team R. 

Woman: I'm not sure I can find a job after I'm released, I'm addicted to drugs, there's a stigma that will follow me my whole life

Brat: I make $174,000 a year, have healthcare for life and this fucking girl is being mean to me on TV. 

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Really wish he'd win and the Senate Dems would then force him to resign. I know it's Jersey so the entire place is a corrupt backwater shithole, but there's got to be someone better available.

Those with the zodiac killer as their senator shouldn't cast stones.  But, yeah, it's disgraceful that Menendez is on the ballot.

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Really wish he'd win and the Senate Dems would then force him to resign. I know it's Jersey so the entire place is a corrupt backwater shithole, but there's got to be someone better available.

This.  NJ and Dems can do better.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

NeW jErSeY iS iN pLaY - rEd WaVe

Menendez is terrible. Really wish he had been primaried into oblivion. Not that McCormick was the answer, but the Dems left her out to dry.  The fact that he is causing NJ to be in play when anti-Trump sentiment is at an all time high tells you all you need to know about Menendez. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Menendez is terrible. Really wish he had been primaried into oblivion. Not that McCormick was the answer, but the Dems left her out to dry.  The fact that he is causing NJ to be in play when anti-Trump sentiment is at an all time high tells you all you need to know about Menendez. 

The FANTASTIC future House freshman of 2018 from NJ are licking their chops: Jeff Van Drew, Andrew Kim, Tom Malinowski and Mikie Sherrill. All will be fantastic candidates in 2024.