2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The sad thing is Ted Cruz isn’t even the worst candidate on the Texas ballot. Here’s whose worse:

Dan “ potty” Patrick - the entire Texas legislative session of 2017 was a joke. The second biggest state in the country spent most of our time and attention talking about......... bathrooms. Potty Patrick wants to spearhead a bathroom bill movement all over the country. Most people go into bathrooms just to pee and get out. This guy should be locked up in an insane asylum.

Ken “indictment” Paxton - he currently has 3 indictments, he’s still running for office, and he’s probably still ahead in the polls. He’s a big part of the lawsuit currently in the courts to kill Obamacare because the repubs were too incompetent to kill it legislatively. If the lawsuit succeeds, it would throw the healthcare system into total chaos and nobody would no longer have protection for the pre existing conditions that republicans have pretended to care about for the last month or so. The fact that millions of texans would vote for a guy currently facing charges is a total freaking joke.

George P Bush- Oh no..... please not another one. Dear god.  The bush family in power makes me think of several things. Unnecessary wars, terrible responses to hurricanes, record high gas prices, and the prices of everything else going up because of it. 

The Texas GOP ticket reeks like asshole after Abbott, but they’re all still going to win most likely. 

You forgot crazy ass Sid Miller.  He is the least qualified of them all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Any Christian who doesn't run as a Democrat does not understand Jesus's teachings. Being pro-choice is not anti-Bible, God or Jesus. There are plenty of ways to work for alternatives to abortions, to teach sex education, to provide birth control, to improve the adoption process, and to take care of impoverished children after they are born. All of these policies and literally every single other Democratic position is in line with Jesus's teachings and Christian values. 

That's why I prefaced "in my opinion", because your opinion differs. At the end of the day, being pro-choice is being pro-killing babies to a large swath of faithful people, whether you choose to believe that or not (or choose to accept it as valid and legitimate belief or not).

Edited by Guest

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

That's why I prefaced "in my opinion", because your opinion differs. At the end of the day, being pro-choice is being pro-killing babies to a large swath of faithful people, whether you choose to believe that or not (or choose to accept it as valid and legitimate belief or not).

When God makes miscarriages happen is he pro-killing babies?

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

But being pro-choice does not have to be about being pro-killing babies, right? It can be about giving women the respect and decency and same rights  men have, right? It can be about working toward preventing abortions and then taking care of babies that aren't aborted. It can be about taking care of the poor, the meek, the disenfranchised, right? It can be about how Jesus lived his life and helping those who need it the most when they need it the most, right? 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

If Republicans knew Jesus was Middle Eastern they'd lose their shit.

lol. N~E~WaYz

Sorry to derail, just thought to myself too about trends in politics and how the idealized roadmap would be Christians breaking from the infiltrated GOP and carving out their own party and trying to win on their terms instead of shoe-horning into either party.

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Explain Republican support for the death penalty.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

But being pro-choice does not have to be about being pro-killing babies, right? It can be about giving women the respect and decency and same rights as men have, right? It can be about working toward preventing abortions and then taking care of babies that aren't aborted. It can be about taking care of the poor, the meek, the disenfranchised, right? It can be about how Jesus lived his life and helping those who need it the most when they need it the most, right? 

What you are saying is being pro-life. Running on a platform of "I'm pro-choice but don't believe in abortion" is still supporting abortion, in terms of the political definition of pro-choice. Anyways, I truly don't want to derail too much and invoke the ire of the surl on a subject which I know I'm viewed as the ignorant rube minority.

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

God kills more unborn babies than Planned Parenthood. Just the facts

When God makes miscarriages happen is he pro-killing babies?

Found Rocko's new handle. Cool.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What you are saying is being pro-life. Running on a platform of "I'm pro-choice but don't believe in abortion" is still supporting abortion, in terms of the political definition of pro-choice. Anyways, I truly don't want to derail too much and invoke the ire of the surl on a subject which I know I'm viewed as the ignorant rube minority.

I think what most pro-lifers miss is that most pro-choice people are not pro-abortion. Instead they are in favor of all the things I outlined in my two previous posts. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Explain Republican support for the death penalty.

I don't necessarily support the death penalty, but the distinction would be couched in the ideas of punishment/justice vs unbridled innocence and convenience. 

If the argument is death penalty and abortion are peers under the umbrella of murder, there is a difference in the context of situations that run up to the outcome of murder. Think of it like a logic tree or decision path. There are different inputs that lead to the same outcome, but the idea being that the weights/values of one path has murder being a gross/irrational/immoral response and the other being more of an arguable validation of the outcome. To your point, I believe that the latter can be debated and generally fall into the camp of not liking the DP.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think what most pro-lifers miss is that most pro-choice people are not pro-abortion. Instead they are in favor of all the things I outlined in my two previous posts. 

I see your point. The problem becomes in the tacit acceptance of abortion (today) if you identify (today) as pro-choice.

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

That's not what I said, though I think your sarcastic statement is true. It's super hard to be a Christian in America because of the culture we have normalized and accept, the lack of Christian accountability which leads to a weaker discipline and focus, and the sheer temptations across the board, considering we are deeply flawed in our natural state.

That said, I was specifically stating it's hard to be a Christian in American politics. Especially today when the right is so perverted and horrible. It's almost as if Christians would have to carve out their own 3rd party at this point, to remain of integrity. No almost, that is actually where it stands. The problem I guess is Christians want to be pragmatic and actually win.

You do realize that the vast majority of Democratic candidates are Christian, right?  Nancy Pelosi is Catholic even.  Don't confuse the hateful shit the GOP calls "Christian" with actual Christianity.  Christians are better people than you give them credit for being.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Honestly, it's a tough time to be a Christian in this political environment. In my personal opinion, it is very much a "both sides" in that the right is horrible and the left is horrible. Even if the left is less horrible from a horizontal view of policies compared to GOP, they are more horrible in a deeper way on a small number of policies. Again, this is opinion and anecdote. Your experience will vary by values and community.

If you are a Christian wanting to run for office, you won't be running under the Democrat banner most likely because of some very massive chasms between biblical values and the state of modern culture (not judging, just stating the fact).

The evangelicals who vote for and support trump are a joke. Total bunch of hypocrites.

lets vote for a guy whose had tons of wives, pays for strippers, then goes up to random women and grabs em by the pussy!

total. 100%. Complete.

christian values all the way. 

Edited by Voldemort86

As an atheist, i should get to choose the religion i want represented in my government. I have done some research, and i have found one whose mission statement matches my own:

ABOUT US

The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense and justice, and be directed by the human conscience to undertake noble pursuits guided by the individual will. Politically aware, Civic-minded Satanists and allies in The Satanic Temple have publicly opposed The Westboro Baptist Church, advocated on behalf of children in public school to abolish corporal punishment, applied for equal representation where religious monuments are placed on public property, provided religious exemption and legal protection against laws that unscientifically restrict women's reproductive autonomy, exposed fraudulent harmful pseudo-scientific practitioners and claims in mental health care, and applied to hold clubs along side other religious after school clubs in schools besieged by proselytizing organizations.

That cool with everyone?
  • Like 3

And god has no place politics, period, so get that shit out of here

Obviously this is very untrue. I would guess that the non-deplorable Trumpkins are only still supporting him for selfish religious reasons. But I’m sure they’re praying really hard about it.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

And god has no place politics, period, so get that shit out of here

I don't know how you can definitively state this, but okay lol. We just disagree, is all.

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Back to politics......

I wish I knew how to post screen shots!  The daily polls tab on both 538 and RCP are 100% blue as of 10:00 AM. Nothing, but democrats leading in the races polled. The most notable ones are huge leads in Florida for both Nelson and Gillum.

DeSantis whole campaign contracted AIDS.  What a disaster he's been since the primary.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

True dat.

The "good" Republicans in Texas - Sarah Davis, Joe Straus, etc. - are vilified by Patrick, Abbott, etc. as RINOS and are being primaried by Empower Texans and the Wilks Bros. to be replaced by right wing loons. 

Empower Texans dropped big fucking bucks to knock out Jason Villaba and get loons in place of Cindy Burkett and Craig Estes and in the open seats. Hell, Greg Abbott was openly campaigning in primaries against incumbents.

When the GOP loses a few general elections, these groups (e.g. Empower) will lose their political power.   they still can be funded by millionaires but the GOP establishment wants to win, not put up candidates that lose.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh, I dunno, the fucking Constitution

Oh I see what you were saying, the separation of church and state and there we agree. I thought you were saying that citizens shouldn't have their spiritual and religious and God beliefs inform their values/positions and thus their voting (or creating a third party, as I was saying).

11 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Oh I see what you were saying, the separation of church and state and there we agree. I thought you were saying that citizens shouldn't have their spiritual and religious and God beliefs inform their values/positions and thus their voting (or creating a third party, as I was saying).

Sorry, in a little bit of a ragey mood today. Glad you came around.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Sorry, in a little bit of a ragey mood today. Glad you came around.

No worries dude, I appreciate your (and a couple of other regular's) passion, even if we ultimately disagree.

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

You do realize that the vast majority of Democratic candidates are Christian, right?  Nancy Pelosi is Catholic even.  Don't confuse the hateful shit the GOP calls "Christian" with actual Christianity.  Christians are better people than you give them credit for being.

This is why my religious beliefs do have an impact on my politics. I just don't have one single issue that overrides everything else. Taken as a collective whole the Democratic party more closely aligns with my belief system than that of the Republicans. Conor Lamb can run as a pro-life Democrat and I have no problem with it.  Ojeda is not going to agree with me on some issues and I'm fine with that too. They will agree with me on a helluva lot more than their opponents. 

12 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is why my religious beliefs do have an impact on my politics. I just don't have one single issue that overrides everything else. Taken as a collective whole the Democratic party more closely aligns with my belief system than that of the Republicans. Conor Lamb can run as a pro-life Democrat and I have no problem with it.  Ojeda is not going to agree with me on some issues and I'm fine with that too. They will agree with me on a helluva lot more than their opponents. 

Early this week I was listening to a reporter covering the Texas Senate race explain how there’s a weird phenomenon going on with white evangelical women breaking for Beto because he’s more Christ-like in his values and message.

She said she couldn’t quantify how widespread it was but it’s there and noticeable.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Early this week I was listening to a reporter covering the Texas Senate race explain how there’s a weird phenomenon going on with white evangelical women breaking for Beto because he’s more Christ-like in his values and message.
She said she couldn’t quantify how widespread it was but it’s there and noticeable.

lulz

White evangelical women who voted for Trump but are breaking toward O'Rourke are doing it because he's more attractive than Cruz, not because he's more Christ-like in his message. The latter explanation is just how they save face with family and reporters.
  • Like 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

lulz

White evangelical women who voted for Trump but are breaking toward O'Rourke are doing it because he's more attractive than Cruz, not because he's more Christ-like in his message. The latter explanation is just how they save face with family and reporters.

Lol that was my first thought as well.

That Beto is so dreamy.