Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT hinted he might be back soon. Seems legit.

Edit: No, it's not Manning. It's a waste of a visit for Malachi Nelson

Negative:

Spoiler

— Texas will host a top 2023 quarterback during the last week of July. I'm told that four-star 2023 Downey (Calif.) Warren High School quarterback Nicholaus Iamaleava. One of the top passers in the country for the 2023 class, Iamaleva is making a southern swing of visits during the last week of the month. He plans to try to make it to Ohio State's barbecue on the 29th and then make a swing through Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. It will be interesting to see if he comes away with an offer from the Longhorns as the 6-foot-5, 195-pound passer is highly pursued. Texas has been all-in on 2023 New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning early on, in that class and they haven't even looked at any other passers at the moment.

— Speaking of Manning, a college football personnel source I spoke with last week felt that Texas made the most sense for him at the moment. With Alabama and Clemson being the most likely schools in contention that we've heard, Austin probably provides the best situation, according to this source. With the amount of talent on the roster coming in and already playing at Alabama and a similar group of talent at Clemson, Texas provides a city where life is similar to New Orleans, an offense he's comfortable with that he feels suits him and a clearer path to playing time. Manning's head coach Nelson Stewart recently made a trip to Austin to see the city and spend some time with old friend Terry Joseph, and he told me that Texas is doing an incredible job conducting a complete recruitment. Obviously, they will have to show something on the field this fall, but I think Texas remains a dangerous contender for him.

COMMENTS
— I exchanged a few messages with four-star Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks yesterday. As I've mentioned in the past, Cheeks has been dealing with quite a bit at home as one of his parents had some medical issues recently. Sources I spoke with around the country have said that the vibe with Cheeks definitely changed over the last month. In talking with Cheeks, it just sounds like his family issues and the pressures of recruitment are getting to him a bit. Right now, Cheeks is focusing on being with his family and trying to think through his decision clearly. I think there's a good chance he could push is timeline back into the fall so that he has time to make the proper decision and see how things work out with his family. I will say that I think this hurts Texas a bit as he might be more hesitant to go far from home with a sick parent. Michigan is a close option, but Wisconsin is also definitely a school to watch in that mix. Unless something changes, I don't think Cheeks makes a commitment this summer.

— On Sunday I'm heading out to THSCA Coaching School for a few days. This is the most-anticipated coaching convention in quite some time as more high school coaches than ever will be in attendance. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks will both make presentations along with many other college coaches including Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley and Nick Saban. Chris Gilbert will likely be with him as his status within the THSCA is still pretty strong. I'm interested to hear what Sark and Banks have to say to the high school coaches and what the feedback will be from the high school staffs in attendance.

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

Negative:

Hide contents

— Texas will host a top 2023 quarterback during the last week of July. I'm told that four-star 2023 Downey (Calif.) Warren High School quarterback Nicholaus Iamaleava. One of the top passers in the country for the 2023 class, Iamaleva is making a southern swing of visits during the last week of the month. He plans to try to make it to Ohio State's barbecue on the 29th and then make a swing through Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. It will be interesting to see if he comes away with an offer from the Longhorns as the 6-foot-5, 195-pound passer is highly pursued. Texas has been all-in on 2023 New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning early on, in that class and they haven't even looked at any other passers at the moment.

— Speaking of Manning, a college football personnel source I spoke with last week felt that Texas made the most sense for him at the moment. With Alabama and Clemson being the most likely schools in contention that we've heard, Austin probably provides the best situation, according to this source. With the amount of talent on the roster coming in and already playing at Alabama and a similar group of talent at Clemson, Texas provides a city where life is similar to New Orleans, an offense he's comfortable with that he feels suits him and a clearer path to playing time. Manning's head coach Nelson Stewart recently made a trip to Austin to see the city and spend some time with old friend Terry Joseph, and he told me that Texas is doing an incredible job conducting a complete recruitment. Obviously, they will have to show something on the field this fall, but I think Texas remains a dangerous contender for him.

COMMENTS
— I exchanged a few messages with four-star Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks yesterday. As I've mentioned in the past, Cheeks has been dealing with quite a bit at home as one of his parents had some medical issues recently. Sources I spoke with around the country have said that the vibe with Cheeks definitely changed over the last month. In talking with Cheeks, it just sounds like his family issues and the pressures of recruitment are getting to him a bit. Right now, Cheeks is focusing on being with his family and trying to think through his decision clearly. I think there's a good chance he could push is timeline back into the fall so that he has time to make the proper decision and see how things work out with his family. I will say that I think this hurts Texas a bit as he might be more hesitant to go far from home with a sick parent. Michigan is a close option, but Wisconsin is also definitely a school to watch in that mix. Unless something changes, I don't think Cheeks makes a commitment this summer.

— On Sunday I'm heading out to THSCA Coaching School for a few days. This is the most-anticipated coaching convention in quite some time as more high school coaches than ever will be in attendance. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks will both make presentations along with many other college coaches including Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley and Nick Saban. Chris Gilbert will likely be with him as his status within the THSCA is still pretty strong. I'm interested to hear what Sark and Banks have to say to the high school coaches and what the feedback will be from the high school staffs in attendance.

Just a failure at every level. 

• Haha 1

IT on Manning

Spoiler

External markets are catching up to UT being a real player for Arch Manning. Good for them.

The giant sleeping in the market said UT might make the top-five for Arch and that Inside Texas was overplaying its hand but really UT is in the top two. Imagine not knowing that. While you wait for that Futurecast prediction to Clemson, we’ll continue.

Those in charge at Texas will never count out Alabama but Clemson is the main competition.

Buzz within the player community is very favorable to Texas. Player buzz is once removed from Twitter so we only give it a cursory nod. But you’d rather have it than not.

This is one of the rare ‘all hands on deck’ recruitments and we feel strongly the right people are involved which helps UT.

You already know how Texas profiles favorably to the family. We’ve broken the that down for months. Most outlets are all, “hey, he potentially likes Texas. It’s crazy.” We’re giving you the why and that’s how UT is in position to close this thing out.

If Malachi Nelson picks OU on the heels of Levi Holstein picking A&M, it will increase pressure on Texas to land Arch. You will pee yourself a little. But as you know, the Mannings are cognizant of the importance of committing to a school early to help build the class.

If IT ever ends up in a network where predictions are a real thing our collective first one might potentially in theory go towards Arch to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT on Manning

Hide contents

If IT ever ends up in a network where predictions are a real thing our collective first one might potentially in theory go towards Arch to Texas.

Doesn't ON3, the network they're becoming apart of, allow for predictions? is he trying to be overt on purpose or...

19 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT on Manning

Reveal hidden contents

External markets are catching up to UT being a real player for Arch Manning. Good for them.

The giant sleeping in the market said UT might make the top-five for Arch and that Inside Texas was overplaying its hand but really UT is in the top two. Imagine not knowing that. While you wait for that Futurecast prediction to Clemson, we’ll continue.

Those in charge at Texas will never count out Alabama but Clemson is the main competition.

Buzz within the player community is very favorable to Texas. Player buzz is once removed from Twitter so we only give it a cursory nod. But you’d rather have it than not.

This is one of the rare ‘all hands on deck’ recruitments and we feel strongly the right people are involved which helps UT.

You already know how Texas profiles favorably to the family. We’ve broken the that down for months. Most outlets are all, “hey, he potentially likes Texas. It’s crazy.” We’re giving you the why and that’s how UT is in position to close this thing out.

If Malachi Nelson picks OU on the heels of Levi Holstein picking A&M, it will increase pressure on Texas to land Arch. You will pee yourself a little. But as you know, the Mannings are cognizant of the importance of committing to a school early to help build the class.

Does getting a qb (Levi) (Eli) name wrong diminish the credibility of the report?  Probably not any lower after the Banks turd. 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

what a great troll job by OU and Nelson lol

(if you aren't aware he committed to OU over the weekend)

it wasn't Nelson.

Edited by NoName

59 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's a Texas versus Clemson battle, so the $-E-C is a moo point.

Unless the prospect of playing for Texas in the SEC is more appealing to the Manning clan than the prospect of playing for Texas in the Big 12. Pretty sure we'd be allowed to recruit using the SEC no matter who we're battling. 

Wells: Top Texas targets talk UT/SEC news

Spoiler

After news broke today about Texas and OU in talks with the SEC, we caught up with a handful of prospects for their thoughts on the Longhorns potentially landing in the Southeastern Conference. Enjoy the evening news.

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023:

"It would be good to know another in-state program is in such a competitive conference. I think it would add credibility for a lot of recruits nationally."

LB Anthony Hill, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023:

“I feel like it would be good for (Texas) to try and make the jump. (For Texas and his recruitment) it’s something extra to think about later down the road.”