Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

12 minutes ago, maninblack said:

From Gerry

Hide contents

Good chance On3 Top 100 No. 59 Ashton Cozart (Flower Mound Marcus) will be at either TCU or Texas season opener.

Well then we need the B1G, PAC, and ACC to finish raiding the Big 12 such that Cozart will be at our season opener and not theirs.

Justin Wells

Longview (Texas) wide receiver Jalen Hale is one of the most sought-after prospects in the 2023 recruiting class.

The top-100 four-star took visits to Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU this summer.

“The visits were good, every school showed me something good,” Hale said. “Baylor was the only school where I didn’t get to speak to the head coach.”

With the more regional programs out of the way, the East Texas phenom wants to expand his search nationally this fall.

“I’m going to go to Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oregon probably,” Hale said. “Those are all schools I’m looking at to be in my top.”

Hale’s close connections with wide receiver coaches at those programs have them trending, but some of the relationships are tighter than others so far.

“For sure, Oklahoma,” Hale said. “Texas’s receiver coach, we’re tight, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon, too.”

Oklahoma, LSU, Texas and Texas A&M stand out for Hale

“My favorite visits were Oklahoma, LSU, Texas and A&M,” Hale said. “The energy there, the coaches and the players were great.”

Soon enough, all four of Hale’s early favorites will be in the SEC, a prospect that the four-star finds very enticing.

The No. 1 priority, however, is comfortability with the entire staff. Hale isn’t planning to make a commitment decision until after his senior season, but one school already wants him to take the leap.

“Oklahoma, they’re pushing for me,” Hale said. “After this season, I’ll drop my top list and after my senior year, I’ll commit.”

The Sooners are off to a ridiculously hot start for the 2023 class with six commits, four are in On3’s top 100.

Jalen Hale going for 1,000

When to comes to role models on the field, Hale looks up to Julio Jones, DeVonta Smith, A.J. Brown and DK Metcalf.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound wideout wants to get Longview a state championship this season, on top of his personal goals of 1,000+ yards and more touchdowns. As a sophomore, Hale had 699 receiving yards on 39 receptions and 10 scores for the Lobos.

Hale is No. 89 in the On3 initial top 100 for the 2023 class and the No. 17 receiver.

“I just know my position well, I study it and I’m a dog, I’m gunna go get it,” Hale said.

DeSoto wideout Johntay Cook II bets Texas, A&M, Bama first to call on Sept. 1

https://www.on3.com/news/johntay-cook-texas-desoto-wide-receiver-four-star-2023-am-alabama-texas-recruiting/

If Cook had to bet which team calls first?

“No doubt it’ll be Texas,” Cook wagered. “B-Harris (Brandon) will text me at 11:59 with 59 seconds left, then Coach (Andre) Coleman‘s going to call me around 12:01, then I may get a call from Coach (Steve) Sark around 12:10. 

Spoiler

On3 national No. 24 prospect Johntay Cook II has put recruiting on the back-burner as he preps for a junior big season at DeSoto (Texas). However, when Sept. 1 hits, it’s going to turn up a notch.

Cook visited programs across the Lone Star State during the summer, as well as Oklahoma and Alabama. He expects those programs to be the first ones ringing him up next Wednesday.

If Cook had to bet which team calls first?

“No doubt it’ll be Texas,” Cook wagered. “B-Harris (Brandon) will text me at 11:59 with 59 seconds left, then Coach (Andre) Coleman‘s going to call me around 12:01, then I may get a call from Coach (Steve) Sark around 12:10. Next, it’ll probably be A&M and Alabama, and after that, everybody.”

Johntay Cook will see A&M, Texas, Bama this season
The 6-foot, 170-pound receiver will see all three of those programs play this season.

Johntay Cook wants to be at Texas A&M when Bama rolls into town on Oct. 9 and at Texas-Baylor on Oct. 30. LSU will also get a visit. Ohio State may, but due to logistics, the Texas native could end up watching from home.

“I’m going to be looking out for everyone on TV because maybe a week or two after Sept. 1, I should have my top schools,” Cook said.

Alabama’s synonymous with competition
Johntay Cook worked out in front of the Texas staff in Austin this summer and he was going to play 7-on-7 in Tuscaloosa in front of Nick Saban, but the tournament was canceled due to weather.

The cancellation freed Cook up to experience a few days in the life of a Crimson Tide athlete.

“It was great to feel the vibe out and to talk to Coach (Holmon) Wiggins and Coach Saban,” Cook said. “It was a pretty good experience. I rode in Coach Saban’s Benz. I was hanging with Meech (John Metchie), JoJo (Earle), Javon Baker and Jameson Williams.”

Cook, who has a 4.41-second time in the 40-yard dash, noticed a lot of similarities between the Alabama way and the DeSoto way of doing things, from how they warm up to their dress code.

“They operate almost identically, that’s why I was like, ‘If I come here, it won’t be too much of a difference except everyone’s going to be good,'” Cook said.

“Alabama means competition. I love competition. I never shy away from it. I know if I go to Alabama, I’ll be the best me I’ve ever been because I’ll be going against NFL cats every day.”

Cook looking for high-flying offense
Cook put up 690 yards on 43 receptions with 10 touchdowns for DeSoto in 2020. He is searching for the offense that will put him in a position to impress and get him to the next level.

“Coach Jimbo’s offense isn’t bad, they put the ball in the air a lot,” Cook said. “The plays that they run and the way they design it is pretty nice. Florida’s offense is nice, LSU puts the ball in the air a lot.”

With favorite wideouts like CeeDee Lamb coming out of Oklahoma, the Sooners’ offense intrigues Cook, but their class is filling up quickly.

Though Oklahoma used to be his favorite team, the four-star has done away with fandom.

“Once I really became a big-time recruit, I had to stop thinking like little boy Johntay, I have to think like young man Johntay,” Cook said.

You can credit Cook’s maturity to his experience with the game. He feels he was made to play football and that attitude helps him separate from the field in the 2023 class.

“To me, how I carry myself is different,” Cook said. “My swagger, my confidence and how easy I make things look. It’s just easy to me because I’ve been working hard for so long, it’s a routine for me. I can run routes and catch balls one-handed in my sleep.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Johntay-Cook-II-46086827/

IT Humidor:

TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023: After seeing the 2023 local up close last week, IT learned he’s listening to the Longhorns as he enters his junior campaign. The three-star with 23 touchdowns in his first two seasons for the Chaparrals tripped to Alabama, Texas, and OU over the summer. It’s unclear how the UT staff views his positional fit beyond the athlete scope.

CB Vernon Glover Jr, Dickinson (Dickinson, TX) - 2023: The young corner visited Texas in late July and seems to have an early affinity for the Longhorns. In addition to his UT verbal invitation, he holds offers from Texas A&M, Florida State, and Miami.

On3 Scoop:

DE Jordan Renaud, Legacy (Tyler, TX) - 2023: The Lewisville transfer via Palmetto (Fla.) made his Texas high school football debut on Friday night.

At 6-foot-4.5, 245 pounds, the four-star was a constant headache for the Lufkin Panthers' offense despite seeing double teams most of the night.

Renaud holds 21 offers including Alabama, Florida, LSU, and OU, but two schools are contacting him the most right now — Texas and Texas A&M. He's seen College Station twice this year, June 15th and July 31st, and the Aggies are making the budding D-end a priority. So is UT.

Renaud is building a good relationship with the Horns’ staff, namely Pete Kwiatkowski and Bo Davis. He's eager to see Austin again after taking an unofficial a few months ago, and might have a ride for Saturday's tilt vs Louisiana in Legacy teammate Jamarion Miller.

Renaud's stock will only continue to rise after settling in East Texas, and after his play on Friday night, the rest of the region has been put on notice.

OL TJ Shanahan, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023: Another recent move-in to the Lone Star state, the 6-foot-4, 300-pound offensive lineman joins the stable of talent at Westlake in Austin. With a team full of college prospects including UT pledge, Connor Robertson, Shanahan just wants to find his role and fit in with the reigning 6A DI champs.

Shanahan is no stranger to the Longhorns staff after netting an offer on April 7th and taking an unofficial over the summer. The four-star composite holds 37 offers including Alabama, Stanford, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and OU. He hit the road in June seeing Texas, LSU, Florida, Texas A&M, and UCF, and now lives only minutes from DKR.

He garnered MaxPreps 2020 Preseason Sophomore first-team All-American honors while playing for Faith Christian Academy, then transferred to Timber Creek in Orlando (Fla.) in 2020.

He already thought highly of the Horns before his move, but now his relationships with Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian have become stronger and more fluid.

Shanahan's main goal right now is helping the Chaparrals and learning the system. He certainly wants to see a few games this fall, and we wouldn't be surprised to see him at Saturday's season-opener against the Ragin Cajuns.

A second prospect from The Loomis Chaffee School that has Texas’ attention is 2023 OG prospect Olaus Alinen (originally from Finland). The Longhorns offered the 6-foot-7, 315-pounder on June 7th after an impressive camp at SMU. Alinen has 30 offers with Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, California, USC and Stanford in contact the most. He has spoken with Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks more than once. He has yet to make an unofficial visit to Texas, but would like to during the season. Alinen also camped at Alabama and Georgia Tech in June.

https://247sports.com/player/olaus-alinen-46101230/

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

"Hey Arch, this is Coach Sark. Just wondering if you saw the news about Mac Jones officially being named the starting QB in New England okay ttyl bye."

It cannot be overstated how much of a feather in the cap taking Mac Jones from 3 star HS prospect to 1st round pick starting his very first NFL game for the Patriots is going to be for Sark in recruiting Arch.

Sark has coached 9 primary starting QBs as an OC or HC. 6 of them became 1st round picks, 2 others were drafted, and only one guy went undrafted. He has an impeccable track record developing QBs. Clemson’s obviously no slouch with Watson and Lawrence recently, but Sark’s track record is pretty unmatched in terms of development and sample size regardless of what school he’s at in the last 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark has coached 9 primary starting QBs as an OC or HC. 6 of them became 1st round picks, 2 others were drafted, and only one guy went undrafted. He has an impeccable track record developing QBs. Clemson’s obviously no slouch with Watson and Lawrence recently, but Sark’s track record is pretty unmatched in terms of development and sample size regardless of what school he’s at in the last 20 years. 

How many of Sarks QBs are serial massaginests?

Mike at Night: Who should get the first call at each position in the 2023 class?
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Who should get the first call at each position in the 2023 class?
MIKE ROACH

At midnight, coaches can initiate contact with 2023 prospects for the first time. For many, this will show which schools are prioritizing them the most. The staff will have all hands on deck tonight to make sure they are creating a great first impression there.

Many prospects have mentioned that this would be an important factor in their recruitment, and this is a spot where a driven and motivated staff can get off on the right foot with several recruits in the class.

Who will get the first calls and which recruits will emerge as big priorities?

In this edition of Mike at Night, I've put together a look at what the first few communications at each position should be.

QUARTERBACK

Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

This is the biggest no-brainer on the board, and frankly, this should probably be the first person Steve Sarkisian speaks with. Manning isn't the type of kid who needs the adulation or honor of being the first person contacted, but Texas can't afford to leave anything to chance here. Manning is a potentially program-changing player who could help assemble a monstrous class.

RUNNING BACK
Rueben Owens, El Campo

Owens was once the centerpiece of the 2023 class, and there's still confidence Texas can win him back. Leave no doubt in his mind by making sure that his phone is ringing as soon as it is permissible. The Longhorns will likely only take one at the position in 2023, and Owens is who they are targeting the most. While there are other priority running backs on the board, Owens is an elite star within the state borders.

WIDE RECEIVER

Johntay Cook, DeSoto

Cook said on many occasions that he's waiting until September 1 for schools to show how they really feel about him. I spoke to Cook today and he told me if he had to bet, Texas or Notre Dame would be the first schools to reach out. If I had to place a wager on the first call for Chris Gilbert it would be Cook.

Jalen Brown, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep

If I were handing out assignments, I would make sure Brown was one of the first prospects to hear from the staff. The elite south Florida wide receiver is a game-changer on offense with electric speed and homerun ability. Brown and his family wanted to make a visit over the summer but weren't able to work it out. Let him know that he's still top of mind for this program.

TIGHT END
Walker Lyons, Folsom (Calif.)

Jeff Banks is making a pretty strong run at Lyons after hosting him during the summer, and Texas is already standing out with a few others as a contender for him. Texas seems to be all in on Jaleel Skinner in 2022, and if they miss on him, they will definitely need to land an impact prospect in 2023.

Jaxon Howard, Minneapolis (MN.) Robbinsdale Cooper

Howard made a visit to Austin over the summer, and he's simply too talented not to keep in contact with at this point. Howard is still a long way from making a decision, and if Texas can get him back to Austin for a visit, they might be able to make some hay with him.

OFFENSIVE LINE

TJ Shanahan, Austin Westlake

Shanahan was already high on the board, but his new status as a Westlake Chap makes it even more vital for Texas to capitalize on this recruitment.

Kadyn Proctor, Des Moines (IA) Southeast Polk

Tackle bodies are a must for Texas and Proctor is the top player in the country. If The Longhorns hope to put together a nationally acclaimed class in 2023, players like Proctor will need to be a part of it.

EDGE
Tausili Akana, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

Texas made an impression on Akana when they hosted him during the summer, and they could keep that impression going by prioritizing him with contact. Akana will have a a national recruitment, but Texas has the right parts in place to be a contender.

Derion Gullette, Marlin

Gullette is emerging as one of the top defensive prospects in the state, and Texas just added his teammate Jaray Bledsoe. The Longhorns should lean on that momentum and start working Gullette immediately.

DEFENSIVE LINE

David Hicks, Allen

Hicks is probably the most important defensive prospect on the board for Texas, and he needs to be the first call for a red-hot Bo Davis. Hicks is exactly the type of defensive lineman who can factor in immediately on the defensive line and make a big impact.

Jayden Wayne, Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln

Wayne has a special connection with Pete Kwiatkowski and gave his summer Texas visit high marks. The Longhorns will need to get Wayne back on campus a few more times to have a great chance, and he is one that will be looking at who contacts him first.

LINEBACKER
Anthony Hill, Denton Ryan

The Longhorns have done a great job making up ground with the five-star linebacker since Steve Sarkisian arrived, and his phone will probably be active with other schools reaching out as well.

Liona Lefau, Kahuku (HI.)

Lefau is another prospect Texas has put itself into a good position with following a summer visit, and it's time for them to push on the gas in this recruitment and make a move for one of the top backers in the country.

CORNERBACK

Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin

While Texas is among the favorites for the elite corner, they went from the top dog to in the pack following this summer. Oklahoma and Alabama have both been able to put a strong press on him, but this is a player Texas needs to keep home this cycle.

Malik Muhammad, South Oak Cliff

Like Cook, Muhammad is paying attention to who reaches out to him first. While Muhammad did visit Texas during the summer and the Longhorns are high on his list, they need to create some separation between schools like Clemson and Texas A&M.

SAFETY
Derek Williams, New Iberia (LA.) Westgate

Williams is one of the best prospects in the entire country and visited Texas during the summer. Though it's tough to pull elite prospects away from LSU, Texas did make an early impact they can hope to build on.

Jamel Johnson, Arlington Seguin

Johnson is one of the top overall targets on the board for Texas and a potential star at the safety position. His teammate and good friend Xavion Brice is headed to Oklahoma, and the Sooners are a big presence for Johnson along with Alabama.

ATH

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple

Harrison-Pilot could be next in what has been a lucrative pipeline from Temple High School. A two-way star who plays at safety and wide receiver, Harrison-Pilot is a big target for Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon.

Nyckoles Harbor, Washington (DC) Archbishop Carroll

Simply put, Harbor is just too good of an athlete not to recruit hard. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Harbor runs a 10.38 100-meter time and 21.36 200-meter time. A few schools have been able to make an early impression on him, but there's still time for Texas to be a factor.