Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Saban is such a fucking asshole

The word on Arch Manning's stops at Alabama and Georgia

Manning and his family were in Tuscaloosa over Father’s Day weekend. Highlights included talking to quarterback Bryce Young and a lot of time spent with freshman offensive lineman James Brockermeyer. Talking to the players is always one of Manning's favorite things to do on visits as he likes to get a sense for how they like it at their respective schools and why they chose to play there. 

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Arch-Manning-visits-Alabama-Georgia-Nick-Saban-Kirby-Smart-visits-167094914/

Spoiler

The Top247’s No. 1 QB in the 2023 class, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman’s Arch Manning, took his last two visits of June to Alabama and Georgia.

Manning and his family were in Tuscaloosa over Father’s Day weekend. Highlights included talking to quarterback Bryce Young and a lot of time spent with freshman offensive lineman James Brockermeyer. Talking to the players is always one of Manning's favorite things to do on visits as he likes to get a sense for how they like it at their respective schools and why they chose to play there. Manning took in a team practice at Alabama as well.

The 6-foot-4, 208-pound Manning was able to catch up with Nick Saban and had dinner with Bill O’Brien, Doug Marrone and Pete Golding. Marrone (there is a little bit of a relationship with the family having coached with the Saints) and particularly Golding have ties to New Orleans. O’Brien’s pedigree coaching Tom Brady and DeShaun Watson among others makes him an attractive coordinator. The culture of the program and everybody’s buy-in really stands out to the rising junior as does the technology Alabama uses to make sure their players are performing at peak levels. The layers of support and resources players at Alabama have in helping them be a National Title contender year in and year out resonated with Manning.

Manning was in Athens this past weekend. The family has known offensive line coach Matt Luke and senior analyst Will Muschamp for a long time, and coach Kirby Smart is good friends with Peyton Manning. There are a lot of common friends between several members of the Georgia staff and Manning family. Manning loves Athens as a college town and he was able to get on the board and talk X's and O's with offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who has seven years of NFL experience.

The Manning family had dinner with Smart, Luke, Muschamp and Monken, and like he did at Alabama, Arch got to hang out with some of the players including Jackson Muschamp, and offensive linemen Sedrick Van Pran and Tate Ratledge. Georgia’s new facilities have been raved about all month and it blew away the Mannings, too. Arch also got to see a little bit of a practice at Georgia and chatted some with starting quarterback JT Daniels.

COMMENTS
Besides Alabama and Georgia, Manning also visited Clemson, SMU and Texas this summer. Schools he’s been to in the past include LSU and Ole Miss. Look for Manning to take a visit or two the last week of July, however nothing is planned to date. Arch will also attend some games this fall.

The 247Sports Composite tabs Manning as the nation’s No. 3 recruit regardless of position.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Saban is such a fucking asshole

The word on Arch Manning's stops at Alabama and Georgia

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Arch-Manning-visits-Alabama-Georgia-Nick-Saban-Kirby-Smart-visits-167094914/

Hide contents

The Top247’s No. 1 QB in the 2023 class, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman’s Arch Manning, took his last two visits of June to Alabama and Georgia.

Manning and his family were in Tuscaloosa over Father’s Day weekend. Highlights included talking to quarterback Bryce Young and a lot of time spent with freshman offensive lineman James Brockermeyer. Talking to the players is always one of Manning's favorite things to do on visits as he likes to get a sense for how they like it at their respective schools and why they chose to play there. Manning took in a team practice at Alabama as well.

The 6-foot-4, 208-pound Manning was able to catch up with Nick Saban and had dinner with Bill O’Brien, Doug Marrone and Pete Golding. Marrone (there is a little bit of a relationship with the family having coached with the Saints) and particularly Golding have ties to New Orleans. O’Brien’s pedigree coaching Tom Brady and DeShaun Watson among others makes him an attractive coordinator. The culture of the program and everybody’s buy-in really stands out to the rising junior as does the technology Alabama uses to make sure their players are performing at peak levels. The layers of support and resources players at Alabama have in helping them be a National Title contender year in and year out resonated with Manning.

Manning was in Athens this past weekend. The family has known offensive line coach Matt Luke and senior analyst Will Muschamp for a long time, and coach Kirby Smart is good friends with Peyton Manning. There are a lot of common friends between several members of the Georgia staff and Manning family. Manning loves Athens as a college town and he was able to get on the board and talk X's and O's with offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who has seven years of NFL experience.

The Manning family had dinner with Smart, Luke, Muschamp and Monken, and like he did at Alabama, Arch got to hang out with some of the players including Jackson Muschamp, and offensive linemen Sedrick Van Pran and Tate Ratledge. Georgia’s new facilities have been raved about all month and it blew away the Mannings, too. Arch also got to see a little bit of a practice at Georgia and chatted some with starting quarterback JT Daniels.

COMMENTS
Besides Alabama and Georgia, Manning also visited Clemson, SMU and Texas this summer. Schools he’s been to in the past include LSU and Ole Miss. Look for Manning to take a visit or two the last week of July, however nothing is planned to date. Arch will also attend some games this fall.

The 247Sports Composite tabs Manning as the nation’s No. 3 recruit regardless of position.

Dude, he's not going to Bama. Chill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I was worried about him talking to the brockermeyer's, but then saw he also talked to O'brien. meh.

The Brockermehs don't have to sell him on Babalamba for that meet-up to be negative for Texas.

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

I imagine they saw what Bob did to the Texans. No fucking way they let Arch fall victim to that braindead moron. 

He's a dick and a terrible NFL HC but he was a solid cfb HC and is at Saban's image rehab center. Don't be quiiite so dismissive.

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Well the Brocks problem with UT was always Herman so I don't know how much negative they can say other than the old coaching staff sucked.

The fact is he's a 3rd generation Texas legacy on campus in Tuscaloosa. Him and his brother. Optical assery.

Though you're right.

Edited by UncleBuck

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Well the Brocks problem with UT was always Herman so I don't know how much negative they can say other than the old coaching staff sucked.

Yeah...Saban and Bama can sell itself at this point but the Brocks signed up to play on Flood's OL in Sark's offense. If they were class of '22 or '23 they would probably have been Longhorns. 

Edited by UncleSonny
Chuckie beat me to it
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Spider2, 

Particularly given whom Manning spoke with, do you see a certain irony in your response?

Everyone following and stalking these kids have said everyone is pretty much behind Texas for his services. They have ground to make up. Does that mean he'll be a longhorn? No. But I certainly like our chances with Sark. 

You guys are absolutely correct in the fact that the Br**********s committed to Flood and Sark, and that Herman was their issue with not going to Texas (plus daddy)... but even if the HC is a buffoon asshole, everyone else in and around that program, from the top to bottom has got to get those kids to Texas. It'll never look good.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In incredibly difficult circumstances 

Basically left the program the same way he found it. Didn't let the ship completely sink. I don't believe those two years are enough to where we can really call him a solid cfb HC, or a meh one. He also led a couple of below average offenses as a college OC. Not sure if those short stints as OC at Duke or Ga Tech are enough, either. 

Edited by UncleBuck

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Basically left the program the same way he found it. Didn't let the ship completely sink. I don't believe those two years are enough to where we can really call him a solid cfb HC, or a meh one. He also led a couple of below average offenses as a college OC. Not sure if those short stints as OC at Duke or Ga Tech are enough, either. 

You guys that are waiting for BoB to fall on his face in Tuscaloosa and be TexansBoB 2.0 are going to be waiting a very long time and are underestimating exactly what a machine Saban has installed there. You are also DRASTICALLY understating how terrible the situation at Penn State was when BoB took over. It was a fucking miracle to go 15-9 in that scenario. Under Saban, BoB is going to look a lot more like the miracle worker at Penn State than the moron running the Texans into the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You guys that are waiting for BoB to fall on his face in Tuscaloosa and be TexansBoB 2.0 are going to be waiting a very long time and are underestimating exactly what a machine Saban has installed there. You are also DRASTICALLY understating how terrible the situation at Penn State was when BoB took over. It was a fucking miracle to go 15-9 in that scenario. Under Saban, BoB is going to look a lot more like the miracle worker at Penn State than the moron running the Texans into the ground. 

I do agree with this because you're correct about the machine already being built. The only issue I see is BoB isn't some offensive genius and qb whisperer. I do think their qb recruiting will take a decline. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

You need to calm the hell down, clapper. I'm not underestimating the guy, just chiming in on a conversation where I stated I can't call the guy a solid cfb HC off based of of two years of whatever it was in Penn State.

The Bill O’Brien love affairs being carried on this board and with some of the prominent $9.95ers are pretty fucking hilarious. 

I know exactly what he walked into at PSU. I know exactly what he did before there and afterwards. 

Everything the “BOB is being underestimated, Bama is a machine!” premise is based on is the notion of the infallibility of Nick Saban. 

Saban is the goat, but he does idiotic shit too. He had Tosh Lupoi as his DC and it was a disaster. Golding’s been okay but not the fucking hero that Saban was touting him to be when he promoted him. Kiffin and Sarkisian have proven themselves creatively on offense before and during their times at Bama. Saban can’t help an OC get it right. BOB is more Dan Enos than Kiffin and that doesn’t ensure constant blowouts. He’s a guy in his 50’s with rock stupid coaching behaviors. Let’s see how smart he looks and how smooth Bama’s offense looks with young guys with a lot to prove. 

I’m sure they’ll go 13-2 or whatever, but are they going to run an offense that instills enthusiasm from elite offensive talent? Anyone claiming that that is a given is ignoring changes in Tuscaloosa and just honking “SABAN!!!” to anyone who deigns to consider otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

The bad outweighs the good. And what QB did he develop while at Penn State?

People like to point to McGloin. Like with everything else, it just wasn't great enough, or for long enough, to draw any conclusions. You're better off, in this situation, looking back at what he did as an actual OC.

The merits/demerits of Bill O'Brien as an offensive coordinator seem to miss the point.  O'Brien did not take that job intending to be the offensive coordinator at Alabama for the next 5 years, the same way Doug Marrone does not intend to be the OL coach at Alabama for very long.  This is an arrangement where Alabama gets to flex and show that former NFL head coaches are willing to be coordinators/position coaches under Saban, and the O'Briens and Marrones of the world get to kick ass with a massive talent advantage, rehab their images, and position themselves quickly for a better job.  The Mannings, by all accounts, are not stupid and naive in this process.  Whatever the pros and cons of Alabama, they almost certainly do not think O'Brien will be the offensive coordinator throughout Arch's college playing years and will not be basing their much of their decision on Bill O'Brien's offense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sure they’ll go 13-2 or whatever, but are they going to run an offense that instills enthusiasm from elite offensive talent? Anyone claiming that that is a given is ignoring changes in Tuscaloosa and just honking “SABAN!!!” to anyone who deigns to consider otherwise. 

if they hadn't just come from Sark and Kiffin i think he would be ok on this front, but they are going from a guy who is very smart and very cutting edge to someone who is the opposite of cutting edge and opposite of getting the most out of his guys...

Spoiler

real talk: i can't wait until we get the "I miss Sark" or comments about their offense last year --> this year from players.

Wells

Of note: 2023 Lewisville DE/TE Jordan Renaud is transferring to Tyler Legacy for the fall, source tells IT. Renaud's father has been hired as a coach on Joe Willis' staff. The 6-foot-5, 248-pound five-star athlete holds 20+ offers including UT, Florida, Miami, Alabama, and Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wells
Of note: 2023 Lewisville DE/TE Jordan Renaud is transferring to Tyler Legacy for the fall, source tells IT. Renaud's father has been hired as a coach on Joe Willis' staff. The 6-foot-5, 248-pound five-star athlete holds 20+ offers including UT, Florida, Miami, Alabama, and Georgia.

As a Lewisvile alum, it was cool to have a five star for a free months.

Wells

Spoiler

TE Jaden Platt, Eaton (Haslet, TX) - 2023:

The 6-foot-4.5, 235-pound junior might be unranked, but he's certainly not unknown.

The rising tight end from Eaton hit the road this month, performed well on the camp circuit, and nabbed seven offers. UT, Stanford, Florida State, Texas A&M, and Iowa State are among the verbal invitations for the future Aerospace Engineer.

He hit Austin recently and loved the trip.

“It felt pretty good talking to Coach (Jeff) Banks and Coach Sark," said Platt. "I could see a future there. They coached me up and tried to really elevate my game.”

With a fondness for NASA, Hayden Conner might be one the Horns use in this pursuit. He passes the eye-test, great movement for his size, and highly intelligent prospect. Now that the dead period has reappeared, Platt is ready to get back home and work.

“My UT visit was the last one," said Platt. "Now, it’s all preparation for the season.”

I could see him opening as a four-star when the rankings get revamped in the future. He'll definitely be a known commodity.