Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Yeah and thank smith at running back…..

We lost to them 37-7 in the third round my senior year after rolling through the rest of our schedule. I played for Newton, we never lacked team speed even in non-championship years, and this Marlin team wasn’t just bigger than us (most teams were), they were faster. Jeremy Sanders hit me in the nuts by accident when I sacked him once that game, that’s my primary memory. The rest was us getting demoralized and crying after the game. I feel like 3A football is kind of the sweet spot if you’re like me and weren’t very talented — get to play against some badasses occasionally but still get to compete. Anyway, I’d love/hate to see us pick up some Marlin guys. If they’re anything like the Marlin players from 15 years ago, they have that dog in ‘em.

54 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

We lost to them 37-7 in the third round my senior year after rolling through the rest of our schedule. I played for Newton, we never lacked team speed even in non-championship years, and this Marlin team wasn’t just bigger than us (most teams were), they were faster. Jeremy Sanders hit me in the nuts by accident when I sacked him once that game, that’s my primary memory. The rest was us getting demoralized and crying after the game. I feel like 3A football is kind of the sweet spot if you’re like me and weren’t very talented — get to play against some badasses occasionally but still get to compete. Anyway, I’d love/hate to see us pick up some Marlin guys. If they’re anything like the Marlin players from 15 years ago, they have that dog in ‘em.

Yeah 3a then/4a now is quite crazy. I was looking at the all-state teams from my junior and senior seasons and it's crazy the guys that went d1 or NFL.

Some of the names from my time going into high school, high school, and just after:

Jermichael Finely - Diboll/NFL 

Jordan Shipley - Burnet/NFL

Stephen McGee - Burnet/NFL

Matterial Richardson - Marlin

D'Nerian Wrighter - Marlin

Denario Alexander - Marlin/NFL

Jeremy Kerley - Hutto/NFL

Emmanuel Sanders - Bellville/NFL

Red Bryant - Jasper/NFL

Jorrie Adams - Jasper, was a 5 star

Sean Weatherspoon - Jasper/NFL

Billy Pittman - Cameron

Cody Wallace - Cuero/NFL

Buck Burnette - Wimberly

GJ Kinne - Gilmer

Curtis Brown - Gilmer/NFL

Manny Johnson - Gilmer/NFL

David Snow - Gilmer

Earl Thomas - West Orange-Stark/NFL

Deon Beasley - West Orange-Stark

Case Keenum - Abilene Wylie/NFL

D'Anton Lynn - Celina

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah 3a then/4a now is quite crazy. I was looking at the all-state teams from my junior and senior seasons and it's crazy the guys that went d1 or NFL.

Some of the names from my time going into high school, high school, and just after:

Still upset with Cody (Wallace) for going to A&M. We were seniors his sophomore year when he started at center. We had Matt Anderson from Cuero starting for the Horns at center at the time, so of course our oline were fans. But for whatever reason a lot of our football guys from my class ended up going to A&M, including our starting tackles (not for football, just school), so I guess Cody tagged along two years later, only on scholly. Cody's good people.

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Still upset with Cody (Wallace) for going to A&M. We were seniors his sophomore year when he started at center. We had Matt Anderson from Cuero starting for the Horns at center at the time, so of course our oline were fans. But for whatever reason a lot of our football guys from my class ended up going to A&M, including our starting tackles (not for football, just school), so I guess Cody tagged along two years later, only on scholly. Cody's good people.

Latrael Cooper did as well. 

Yeah it really sucked watching Latrael go down during a damn scrimmage his jr year, if he was healthy there's no chance Case Keenum beats us in Waco. 

It's weird most of the people in my class were all UT fans but only 2 of us went on to FBS ball in Kaeron Johnson who went to Baylor despite being an aggy fan, and Quincey Whittington went to SMU but flaked out there.

My family and Matt Anderson's family are friends, and I worked for his dad in high school out on their property in Cheapside and in Concrete. I thought it was the coolest thing getting to hang out with an actual UT player all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Junior and senior seasons burnet and wimberley were in our district. We won state in 02 and it’s crazy that two teams from our district played for state titles that year. Burnet had the most collection of talent I’ve ever seen on a 3A team. Everman beat them once and Atlanta the next year. Those two teams must have been full of bad mother fuckers. I watched McGee and Shipley live twice…it was majestic. 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Junior and senior seasons burnet and wimberley were in our district. We won state in 02 and it’s crazy that two teams from our district played for state titles that year. Burnet had the most collection of talent I’ve ever seen on a 3A team. Everman beat them once and Atlanta the next year. Those two teams must have been full of bad mother fuckers. I watched McGee and Shipley live twice…it was majestic. 

Everman and Gainesville, I think. Gainesville had that RB that no one could stop. From what I remember about that Everman team is just athletes all over the field. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Everman and Gainesville, I think. Gainesville had that RB that no one could stop. From what I remember about that Everman team is just athletes all over the field. 

Ahh you’re right Gainesville beat burnet in 03-04 in the division 1. Atlanta won division 2.  I have tape of Shipley blitzing from his safety spot and knocking down a pitch, no bullshit. We ran a triple option play and the fucker was so quick he played the qb then tracked the pitch down and was able to swat it out of the air. Scooped it up for a fumble six. 

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lets see Everman won state in 01 (Sinton) and 02 (Burnet)... if I remember correctly Everman was down to Burnet when they lost a player on a tackle (paralyzed neck down) and that seemed to focus them and they pulled off the 2nd title in a row. 

5 hours ago, Rholl said:

Lets see Everman won state in 01 (Sinton) and 02 (Burnet)... if I remember correctly Everman was down to Burnet when they lost a player on a tackle (paralyzed neck down) and that seemed to focus them and they pulled off the 2nd title in a row. 

Oh yeah, I believe the QB of that Sinton team was Adrian Alaniz, who played baseball for us. 

45 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Yeah well I got to see Rotan Yellowhammer Shipley set the state record or some shit for scoring from every position possible. Receiving td, rushing td, pass td, int for td, kickoff and punt returns for td. Pretty sure he kicked a field goal too just for shits.

I’m sure that Sammy Baugh would have been proud of him.

So, Saban loses offensive and defensive coordinators every couple of years.....he loses offensive and defensive line coaches every couple of years.....he turns around and hires others to fill the void.

He recruits 4* and 5* players, the best of the best each and every year.

He wins, many get into the NFL.  Repeat.  Players make a bigger difference than coaches....maybe?

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, Saban loses offensive and defensive coordinators every couple of years.....he loses offensive and defensive line coaches every couple of years.....he turns around and hires others to fill the void.

He wins, many get into the NFL.  Repeat.  Players make a bigger difference than coaches....maybe?

There’s a saying about that, something about jimmy and Joe on X being hoes or something. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Its possible Saban is a pretty good coach

IT

Spoiler

A key we were listening for after the debacle in Fayetteville was how Steve Sarkisian messaged his team. It was old hat for Tom Herman to say something similar to ”the game plan was in place, we just have to execute.” He did this to maintain buy-in in the coaching ability but over time, when it became clear the players were often being failed by the coaches, he lost trust from the players.

After the game, Sark said he felt he failed them and didn’t prepare them well enough. They did a poor job of putting players in positions to succeed. He said this week they need to pick up the intensity and focus on the technical aspects of the game. They need to do better at pushing though adversity. He mentioned they came out OK from halftime but need to bring it harder.

What he said about needing more intensity was corroborated by other sources, but probably also your own eyes. One source stated, “some guys are hyped up where there’s substance behind it. That’s the same guys who practice hard. But, a lot of the hype was fake it til you make it. I feel like it’s the way they practice. They need to come back to the field with urgency. Urgency is aggressiveness, and you’re not looking to just turn it on 30 minutes before kickoff.“

While Sarkisian had his issues as a head coach preparing the whole team and the offense, Pete Kwiatkowski had the same exact issues on defense. He told his players he’s going to take a hard look at the film and re-evaluate his game plan.

The coaches falling on their swords is a good sign, even if it’s the obvious thing to do. The players should absolutely not be absolved from that performance. This is a big week for them. Our source had thoughts there, too, “they got an *** whipping and have to grow from it. How they bounce back from the loss will determine the attitude, character, and personality of the team. Mentally, the team is in a good place. Everyone knows they should have played better. Lots of accountability regardless of whether or not the coaches didn’t do well with the game plan. Lots of self-reflection.”

As they look to rebound, Saturday showed some fundamental issues, namely with the offensive line. The OL didn’t have a good week of preparation heading into the game, even struggling with the scout team at times. We’re expecting some heavy tinkering in practice and as such we’ll step up our coverage throughout the week. If that tinkering doesn’t occur, well, welcome back Herb Hand!

Similarly, the defense needs to improve on run fits. Both lines are playing with poor pad level. Sark said the game would be decided in the trenches and that was definitely a big part of it, though neither coach helped their lines out.

As far as quarterback goes, “the team knows it’s not really Hudson’s fault. Everybody played poorly. He might of needed a change of scenery earlier in the game. The same could be said for other players. In a game like that it doesn’t matter who the starter is, do what you have to do to win the game first and foremost. They could have put Casey in earlier. There were times Hudson should have ran, if it’s not there run and get what you can. Yards and first downs were hard to come by. You have to take what’s available.”

RECRUITING MATTERS

WR Ashton Cozart, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2023: The smooth Tacoma transplant went off on Friday night. He tallied 175 yards, on 10 catches, and two touchdowns. Cozart tells IT his recruitment has intensified since September 1st, and he's definitely hitting up more college games this fall, including UT. The No. 59 overall (92 score) player on On3's 2023 recruiting rankings stays in touch with the Texas staff and is scheduling a trip back to Austin soon. Cozart isn’t just smooth, he can run too with a 10.74 100 to his name.

WR Carnell Tate, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) - 2023: Another top wide receiver target for the 2023 cycle, Tate visited UT over the summer and continues to catch up with the Texas staff. Tate is looking at scheduling trips this fall and Austin is a place where he'd like to attend a game. Tate is No. 46 overall (93 score) on On3's 2023 recruiting rankings. With 32 offers including Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida State, the Horns have his attention.

DE DJ Hicks, Allen (Allen, TX) - 2023: At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, the No. 8 overall (98 score) on On3's 2023 recruiting rankings is hard to miss. With 32 offers in hand already, the highly-coveted defensive lineman hit Austin in early June. While other programs appear to be leading for the five-star prospect, he's still watching the Horns and seeing a game this fall remains a strong possibility. Clemson, LSU, and Texas A&M appear to be the top competition today.

DE Avion Carter, Tascosa (Amarillo, TX) - 2023: It's hard to miss the 6-foot-5, 240-pound defensive lineman. Carter's stock is only beginning to rise and he’s an early priority from the staff. Carter hears from UT a lot, the staff loves his frame and upside, and he's going to visit Texas soon, he tells IT. Notre Dame, LSU, and Texas A&M are among his early verbal invitations after a stellar sophomore campaign where he tallied 67 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, and 10 sacks. A trip to the Forty Acres is in the works.

CB Canyon Moses, Lee (Midland, TX) - 2023: One of the more underrated defensive backs in-state for 2023, the 5-foot-10, 180-pound three-star speaks with Texas QB coach AJ Milwee often. He visited TCU over the weekend, will visit UT in a couple weeks, and Arizona in November, he tells IT. Moses ran a 10.8 100 in 2021.

CB Cortez Hunter, Paetow (Katy, TX) - 2023: At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, the former Katy Taylor corner has some trips on the schedule. Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Tulane are visits he'll make this fall, while attending the Texas-Rice game this Saturday from DKR. Hunter is in the second tier of defensive backs in-state and definitely one worth watching.

Hoops:

Chris Beard’s staff continues to receive positive feedback from Richardson On3 five-star Cason Wallace and his family after his official visit to Texas, and the staff’s school visit last week. Wallace and his mother have been very positive since the visit. With that said, there is still a question of Kentucky being way out in front. Tennessee will get a second official visit this weekend, as Rick Barnes and staff continue to wisely play the loyalty card. The family appreciates that the Vols were on Wallace early, when Texas and Kentucky were targeting Baylor verbal Keyonte George initially.

This weekend, the staff will host On3 Top 25 ranked Jordan Walsh (Southern California Academy via Dallas). The 6-foot-7 long-armed athletic wing made a trip to Arizona State last weekend, and has Kansas schedule September 24-25. Arkansas and TCU have already received OVs with the Razorbacks very much in the hunt.

The staff is also working to set up a visit with On3 Top 35 prospect Jarace Walker (IMG Academy). The 6-foot-8 power forward has already made officials to Alabama, Houston, Auburn, and Ohio State.

The Longhorns could also schedule a visit with On3 four-star Dillon Mitchell (Montverde Academy, Fla.) depending on where things are headed with Walsh after this weekend.

Per Wiltfong, Arch is confirmed to visit for the Okie Lite game on 10/16

Full article:

Spoiler

NEW ORLEANS, La. - Whenever Arch Manning’s playing days are all said and done, the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 recruit in the 2023 class said he wants to be a coach.

"Or have my dad give me a job in real estate," he laughed. "But I want to coach."

Of course the five-star quarterback from America's most prominent football family is already showing the aptitude for that. Heading into his third-year as the starter under center at New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman, the personable Manning has proven to be meticulous and precise and his head coach Nelson Stewart said his five-star passer will assist him in putting together the first couple plays for Friday’s season opener.

“That’s one of the funniest things, when we go back and forth, whether it’s a game plan or practice script, just the other day I asked why he MIKE pointed the wrong guy and he corrected me saying 'actually no, if I’m going off numbers it’s this guy.' Upon further review he won. That happens a lot. He’s just got great recall. Great attention to detail and if you give him notes you better be right on or he’ll catch you on it.”

It’s likely Manning will be an extension of his coach on the field for many years to come before the time comes for him to decide if he's going into coaching or not. Through his first two prep seasons where he’s 18-3 as the starter, Manning has passed for 4,081 yards and 53 touchdowns to just 13 interceptions, completing nearly 68 percent of his attempts.

Stewart is anticipating a big jump in Manning's game this fall.

“I think the first thing I would probably say is his poise,” Stewart said of the improvements. “He’s been real decisive with the football. He’s good in his progressions and it’s a natural maturity being a sophomore to a junior. He’s more careful with the football, understands coverages, understands what we’re trying to do. I think the other thing that’s been really fun is the game planning, being able to send in the play sheet Sunday night and he’s able to break it down and see what he likes and come back every day and send notes on practice.”

Consistency was the big point of emphasis for Manning as he works to take another step in his maturation as a junior.

“Especially decision making and accuracy, that was kind of the main thing this year,” The 6-foot-4 Manning said. He’s also gained 15 pounds from last fall and will play at 215-pounds plus. “I think we’re going to be able to spread the ball around a lot more and just make plays and be more consistent. That’s been a big goal of mine just be more consistent. I think last year was more up and down.”

Manning’s attention is on Friday’s opener against West St. John. After that he’ll head to Athens to watch Georgia host South Carolina on Saturday night. He got a chance to visit with the Bulldogs during the summer and this will be his first college game of the fall.

“Georgia is good this year,” Manning said. “Beat Clemson week one and then had a good showing against UAB with Stetson (Bennett). So I’m just excited. Kirby is a really good coach and I’m excited to get up there and see what game is all about in Athens.

“That’s definitely more of a pro-style offense than some colleges. I’m excited and Coach (Todd) Monken is a really good coach and I think they’re going to have a good year and it’s going to be cool watching them in person. Athens is really cool. That was probably the coolest college town there is. Coach Kirby he has a good program. He’s a really laid-back good guy and seems like a guy I want to play for.”

After the Georgia game, the next scheduled visit is Alabama for the Ole Miss game on Oct. 2. He got to spend time with Nick Saban and company in June.

“It’s just a machine,” Manning said. “Saban he runs a great program and there’s really no loopholes in that, no cutting corners which was amazing.

“I went to go see Bryce (Young) in a player run practice and it was cool because there was no coaches on the field and how organized and tight it was with just the players. They get after it and it’s organized and it was cool to watch.

“I’d love to be in a program like that, that organized with Coach Saban, that would be a dream come true.”

Manning looks forward to returning to Texas for the Oklahoma State game on Oct. 16. He’s been talking to Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee as long as any other staff.

“They’re just good guys, laid back people, personable, it’s easy to talk to them,” Manning said. “Explosive offense.”

Manning added he enjoyed hanging with the Texas players on his last visit.

“Hudson Card, he’s a really good guy,” Manning said. “Really just catting with the players because they spoke highly of Sark. It was really cool to see how that program is going to be up and coming.”

Clemson got Manning’s first visit of the summer and he wants to get back for a game. Assistant Brandon Streeter may be at his game on Friday night.

“Clemson was awesome,” Manning said. “The people there are so nice it seems unreal. They’re great, Coach (Dabo) Swinney and Streeter, they’re awesome. I went to dinner with the whole offensive staff and it was amazing. Clemson, the culture over there is different and it was definitely a great place to visit. The people and the culture, I feel like everyone there is happy around the facility and it seems like a great environment and that’s something I’d want to be a part of.”

Following that trip to Texas, Manning will return to Oxford to watch his uncle Eli Manning get his jersey retired when the Rebels host LSU on Oct. 23. He visited his father Cooper’s alma mater the last week of July for the first time as a recruit.

“Oxford is amazing,” Manning said. “Coach (Jeff) Lebby and Coach (Lane) Kiffin are some of the smartest offensive minds I’ve ever met. I met with Coach Kiffin it seems like four hours and he blew me away with his knowledge and they’re going to put up some points this year and I’m excited to watch them.”

Manning added he could pop in for a couple local Tulane games as well. He has no timetable for a college decision and continues to talk to coaches at places like LSU and Stanford as well.

“I think it will be sometime next spring or summer,” Manning said. “It’s so hard to know or tell, I’m just taking it one day at a time.

“I want to like the culture because coaches and assistant coaches move and go everywhere. I want good guys around me and good coaches and a good town and a good education.”

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Full article:

Hide contents

NEW ORLEANS, La. - Whenever Arch Manning’s playing days are all said and done, the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 recruit in the 2023 class said he wants to be a coach.

"Or have my dad give me a job in real estate," he laughed. "But I want to coach."

Of course the five-star quarterback from America's most prominent football family is already showing the aptitude for that. Heading into his third-year as the starter under center at New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman, the personable Manning has proven to be meticulous and precise and his head coach Nelson Stewart said his five-star passer will assist him in putting together the first couple plays for Friday’s season opener.

“That’s one of the funniest things, when we go back and forth, whether it’s a game plan or practice script, just the other day I asked why he MIKE pointed the wrong guy and he corrected me saying 'actually no, if I’m going off numbers it’s this guy.' Upon further review he won. That happens a lot. He’s just got great recall. Great attention to detail and if you give him notes you better be right on or he’ll catch you on it.”

It’s likely Manning will be an extension of his coach on the field for many years to come before the time comes for him to decide if he's going into coaching or not. Through his first two prep seasons where he’s 18-3 as the starter, Manning has passed for 4,081 yards and 53 touchdowns to just 13 interceptions, completing nearly 68 percent of his attempts.

Stewart is anticipating a big jump in Manning's game this fall.

“I think the first thing I would probably say is his poise,” Stewart said of the improvements. “He’s been real decisive with the football. He’s good in his progressions and it’s a natural maturity being a sophomore to a junior. He’s more careful with the football, understands coverages, understands what we’re trying to do. I think the other thing that’s been really fun is the game planning, being able to send in the play sheet Sunday night and he’s able to break it down and see what he likes and come back every day and send notes on practice.”

Consistency was the big point of emphasis for Manning as he works to take another step in his maturation as a junior.

“Especially decision making and accuracy, that was kind of the main thing this year,” The 6-foot-4 Manning said. He’s also gained 15 pounds from last fall and will play at 215-pounds plus. “I think we’re going to be able to spread the ball around a lot more and just make plays and be more consistent. That’s been a big goal of mine just be more consistent. I think last year was more up and down.”

Manning’s attention is on Friday’s opener against West St. John. After that he’ll head to Athens to watch Georgia host South Carolina on Saturday night. He got a chance to visit with the Bulldogs during the summer and this will be his first college game of the fall.

“Georgia is good this year,” Manning said. “Beat Clemson week one and then had a good showing against UAB with Stetson (Bennett). So I’m just excited. Kirby is a really good coach and I’m excited to get up there and see what game is all about in Athens.

“That’s definitely more of a pro-style offense than some colleges. I’m excited and Coach (Todd) Monken is a really good coach and I think they’re going to have a good year and it’s going to be cool watching them in person. Athens is really cool. That was probably the coolest college town there is. Coach Kirby he has a good program. He’s a really laid-back good guy and seems like a guy I want to play for.”

After the Georgia game, the next scheduled visit is Alabama for the Ole Miss game on Oct. 2. He got to spend time with Nick Saban and company in June.

“It’s just a machine,” Manning said. “Saban he runs a great program and there’s really no loopholes in that, no cutting corners which was amazing.

“I went to go see Bryce (Young) in a player run practice and it was cool because there was no coaches on the field and how organized and tight it was with just the players. They get after it and it’s organized and it was cool to watch.

“I’d love to be in a program like that, that organized with Coach Saban, that would be a dream come true.”

Manning looks forward to returning to Texas for the Oklahoma State game on Oct. 16. He’s been talking to Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee as long as any other staff.

“They’re just good guys, laid back people, personable, it’s easy to talk to them,” Manning said. “Explosive offense.”

Manning added he enjoyed hanging with the Texas players on his last visit.

“Hudson Card, he’s a really good guy,” Manning said. “Really just catting with the players because they spoke highly of Sark. It was really cool to see how that program is going to be up and coming.”

Clemson got Manning’s first visit of the summer and he wants to get back for a game. Assistant Brandon Streeter may be at his game on Friday night.

“Clemson was awesome,” Manning said. “The people there are so nice it seems unreal. They’re great, Coach (Dabo) Swinney and Streeter, they’re awesome. I went to dinner with the whole offensive staff and it was amazing. Clemson, the culture over there is different and it was definitely a great place to visit. The people and the culture, I feel like everyone there is happy around the facility and it seems like a great environment and that’s something I’d want to be a part of.”

Following that trip to Texas, Manning will return to Oxford to watch his uncle Eli Manning get his jersey retired when the Rebels host LSU on Oct. 23. He visited his father Cooper’s alma mater the last week of July for the first time as a recruit.

“Oxford is amazing,” Manning said. “Coach (Jeff) Lebby and Coach (Lane) Kiffin are some of the smartest offensive minds I’ve ever met. I met with Coach Kiffin it seems like four hours and he blew me away with his knowledge and they’re going to put up some points this year and I’m excited to watch them.”

Manning added he could pop in for a couple local Tulane games as well. He has no timetable for a college decision and continues to talk to coaches at places like LSU and Stanford as well.

“I think it will be sometime next spring or summer,” Manning said. “It’s so hard to know or tell, I’m just taking it one day at a time.

“I want to like the culture because coaches and assistant coaches move and go everywhere. I want good guys around me and good coaches and a good town and a good education.”

Mrw GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, UncleBuck said:

I thought Matt Anderson was from Columbus? 

12 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Full article:

Hide contents

So @RGBIII is a surly troll now, huh? lol