Oklahoma @ UCLA

Constant

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Honestly, how that happen? Y’all got chip, you always have some pull on recruits. I’m a little surprised that y’all are at this level (not that Texas had anything to crow about from 2010-17)

Honestly we are all befuddled as to why or how we have cratered to this point. we have committed to football , but we have gone backwards.  And none of us knows why.  And it is brutally painful.  Seriously.  It sucks so bad.  I have wasted so much time and so much money supporting this team in hopes we would break through, and we just are worse than we’ve ever been.  It really sucks.

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Honestly we are all befuddled as to why or how we have cratered to this point. we have committed to football , but we have gone backwards.  And none of us knows why.  And it is brutally painful.  Seriously.  It sucks so bad.  I have wasted so much time and so much money supporting this team in hopes we would break through, and we just are worse than we’ve ever been.  It really sucks.

Having felt hopeless for a big stretch of this decade, I usually take enjoyment in other fanbase’s misery... but I’m legit rooting for y’all to turn it around.

• Like 1

I would seriously consider not getting some retread as the next coach. I get the chip hire looked good, but even the great ones just lose their fire sometimes. Even happened to stoops in about 2012. I also get that “we’re UCLA” but the fact is you haven’t been relevant for quite some time, and you need to just realize it’s time to take some risks. 

Went to the game with some Okies.  Observations:

1.  Rose Bowl venue might be the best in college football.  Tell me again why we can’t be in the PAC 12 and have nice things like road trips there.

2.  You could easily spot the OU fans in Pasadena.  Take away the Sooner gear and they’re still a rough hewn rabble.  Jorts, Capri pants and an extra 30 pounds were common.  Half were somewhat upper middle class looking but the rest looked like a Sizzler in SE Oklahoma.

3.  Crowd was easily 2/3 OU.  That’s the biggest game on UCLA’s schedule and they gave away free tickets.  Their side is even in the shade.  Sun was hot as balls.  Jorts don’t breath well, either.

4.  UCLA just isn’t very good talent wise.  QB looked solid, though.  

13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Just ry not to be Pac12 10rc

I had the thought out of the blue yesterday...  What if Chip just wanted to sign a big contract and then just mail it in?  He has no real downside... Dude is not a spring chicken.  Just a huge cash flow and a chill west coast vibe.  And the crazy part is...  it might even work! (the football...the cash is guaranteed)

33 minutes ago, Loco said:

Just ry not to be Pac12 10rc

I had the thought out of the blue yesterday...  What if Chip just wanted to sign a big contract and then just mail it in?  He has no real downside... Dude is not a spring chicken.  Just a huge cash flow and a chill west coast vibe.  And the crazy part is...  it might even work! (the football...the cash is guaranteed)

This idea has been floated.  We should NEVER be this bad, no matter the rebuilding process.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This idea has been floated.  We should NEVER be this bad, no matter the rebuilding process.

Let's get serious for a minute.  

So Bruin, lay it out here.  

1) what do you think the floor should be for UCLA (record, position in conference, etc)?

2) what do you think the ceiling can be for UCLA? 

3) what would give you a level of satisfaction that you wouldn't be upset/frustrated, etc (record, position in conference, etc)?

My closest friend is a UCLA alum, and a crazy sports fan.  He expects to be in the PAC12 mix in Basketball every year, with a final 4 every few years.  As far as football goes, he's happy with beating USC every now and then and going to a Holiday Bowl level game.  Where are you at?

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

With their resources I would think UCLA would realistically want to be in the top 3 of the conference every year and compete for a title every few at least.  

Resources you say?    Where would you put them in the PAC in terms of resources?  Certainly behind USC and Oregon, correct?  Better or worse than UW?  Colorado?  

UW and Oregon have fairly similar income/budgets.  Of course most of Oregon's cash comes from one guy, but money is money.  I'd imagine UCLA is a bit higher than that. Colorado's is lower.

Chip's problem may be that UCLA (or Colorado, UW, Texas, etc.) won't play the SEC way as far as recruiting and the like, and Oregon will and does.  He not only took over a program in much better shape at Oregon, he was almost certainly given a freer hand there by the administration.

UCLA and UW have nearly identical football histories but the UW has gone from the top to the ultimate bottom and back up again in the 20 years since UCLA has won the conference. UCLA should always be 2 through 4 in the conference and competing for #1 with USC, as should UW and (ugh) Oregon at least while Uncle Phil draws breath. Problem is that Stanford, Utah, and WSU have been coached up above their historical standards, and USC and UCLA have not.

13 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

UW and Oregon have fairly similar income/budgets.  Of course most of Oregon's cash comes from one guy, but money is money.  I'd imagine UCLA is a bit higher than that. Colorado's is lower.

Chip's problem may be that UCLA (or Colorado, UW, Texas, etc.) won't play the SEC way as far as recruiting and the like, and Oregon will and does.  He not only took over a program in much better shape at Oregon, he was almost certainly given a freer hand there by the administration.

UCLA and UW have nearly identical football histories but the UW has gone from the top to the ultimate bottom and back up again in the 20 years since UCLA has won the conference. UCLA should always be 2 through 4 in the conference and competing for #1 with USC, as should UW and (ugh) Oregon at least while Uncle Phil draws breath. Problem is that Stanford, Utah, and WSU have been coached up above their historical standards, and USC and UCLA have not.

So, UCLA has won their conference 17 times since 1935.    Per wiki, their overall record since 1919 is .587.     Meanwhile, USC is at .701.   Oregon's is .571 but we all know they were a nobody until Nike.   UW is .616.  Stanford is .584.  Cal's is .552.

We all THINK that UCLA should be better than they've been, but there's no real evidence to back that up.   It's a great fucking public school (one could argue it''s THE best...certainly top 5  on about any list) in a great location.  It plays in a great football stadium, that happens to be 20 miles from campus.  

Meanwhile, their greatest rival is a blue-blood with multiple championships and Heismans, and they happen to be located a few miles down the freeway.   UCLA has a heisman, BTW.  Gary Fucking Beban.  Not exactly somebody that any High School JR. has heard of. 

Edited by Gil Bang

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Let's get serious for a minute.  

So Bruin, lay it out here.  

1) what do you think the floor should be for UCLA (record, position in conference, etc)?

2) what do you think the ceiling can be for UCLA? 

3) what would give you a level of satisfaction that you wouldn't be upset/frustrated, etc (record, position in conference, etc)?

My closest friend is a UCLA alum, and a crazy sports fan.  He expects to be in the PAC12 mix in Basketball every year, with a final 4 every few years.  As far as football goes, he's happy with beating USC every now and then and going to a Holiday Bowl level game.  Where are you at?

I have higher expectations.  We should be competing for south division titles every year.  We have all of the advantages to allow us to recruit at the highest levels in the conference, we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary, and are one of the premier universities in Div I.  There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Went to the game with some Okies.  Observations:

1.  Rose Bowl venue might be the best in college football.  Tell me again why we can’t be in the PAC 12 and have nice things like road trips there.

2.  You could easily spot the OU fans in Pasadena.  Take away the Sooner gear and they’re still a rough hewn rabble.  Jorts, Capri pants and an extra 30 pounds were common.  Half were somewhat upper middle class looking but the rest looked like a Sizzler in SE Oklahoma.

3.  Crowd was easily 2/3 OU.  That’s the biggest game on UCLA’s schedule and they gave away free tickets.  Their side is even in the shade.  Sun was hot as balls.  Jorts don’t breath well, either.

4.  UCLA just isn’t very good talent wise.  QB looked solid, though.  

Starting to think you are a mole. No might about it, Rose Bowl is the best Bowl game venue in cfb and you should have known this after '04 and 05. As a home field venue it absolutely sucks for not one being off-campus but being an hour drive away. Being in the PAC would absolutely blow outside of a few games a year for a handful of sports. 

I have higher expectations.  We should be competing for south division titles every year.  We have all of the advantages to allow us to recruit at the highest levels in the conference, we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary, and are one of the premier universities in Div I.  There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to.

Cool, except you’ve never done that.

Fuck dude, get realistic.

"... we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary" 

No Bruin, you are not.

Kelly is in the middle of the pack in the Pac-12 in terms of annual salary, ranking fifth in the conference per USA Today. This doesn’t include Clay Helton and Southern Cal, since the school is a private institution that isn’t required to release financial records for public consumption.

He also makes far less than Florida’s Dan Mullen, who signed a six year, $36.6 million contractto return to Gainesville. Kelly was in the running for the Gators job before landing with the Bruins.

Alabama’s Nick Saban is the best-compensated with $8.3 million a year.

In addition to Kelly’s decent, albeit unspectacular sum, his coordinators are among the most underpaid in the Power Five conferences. His offensive coordinator Justin Frye makes just $650,000, while his defensive coordinator Jerry Azinaro makes $700,000.

These numbers rank No. 70 and No. 61 respectively in the country per USA Today. For comparison’s sake, both of Minnesota’s coordinators make more, and the Gophers top accomplishment in the last decade is winning a bowl game in Detroit last December.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/08/chip-kelly-salary-contract-ucla-coach/

Edited by Gil Bang

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have higher expectations.  We should be competing for south division titles every year.

I suppose you could argue that you did that in the Donohue days.  That was 5 coaches ago?

We have all of the advantages to allow us to recruit at the highest levels in the conference,

No, you don't.  Your facilities are middle of the PAC at best. 

we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary

Total bullshit.  See above.  Your assistant salaries are shit. 

and are one of the premier universities in Div I.  

Without a doubt.  UCLA is a GREAT school.  But nobody cares.  LSU is a fucking dogshit school.  Most LSU students couldn't cut it at Mt. SAC.  But, they are a Blue Blood.

UCLA is a better school than USC, and yet, USC has multiple Nattys and Heismans and you do not. 

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to.

There are multiple reasons, you just refuse to acknowledge them.

Edited by Gil Bang