Past Longhorn Coaches Thread

bschoolprof

I sometimes like to keep up with former UT coaches and see what they're up to.  Some we all know about.  Some you may not.  

Chuck Strong

Sterlin Gilbert – HC for McNeese State.  They are 2-3, with wins over two HBCs and losses to the mullet and Sam Houston.  At least he was smart enough to bail from the SS Strong before it sank. 

Vance Bedford: ?? not coaching (I think)

Shawn Watson – Fired as OC at Pitt (shocker) and now an analyst at Georgia.  This guy just won’t go away.  Every few years he seems to re-emerge in a coaching role.  Amazing. 

Mack

Muschamp – has South Carolina at 2-3.  Still has no idea how to field an offense

Gerg Davis – finally retired

Manny – Miami is 2-2, but 0-1 in conference with the loss to UNC.

Bryan Harsin – Boise is quietly 4-0. Still pull for this guy.  

Akina – still DB coach at Stanford. They are currently ranked 115 in pass defense. woof.  

The Maj: - analyst for Saban at Bama. 

Others?

• Like 3

Harsin is good but the wrong fit for Texas then and now.  I never was on his bandwagon and never will be.  He set us back.  Mack had the right type of offense and was convinced after the Bama loss to go to a style of offense that now everyone is slowly leaving.  We were ahead of the curve and then he fucked us up by hiring an offense more suited for the big10.  No thanks.  

Bring back Leon Fuller

Wherever Bucky Godbolt or Bobby Kennedy is they can stay there. 

"I thought it might be a great way to finish a career." Mac McWhorter, Penn State October 20, 2013[5]      

They better bury Bobby Jack Wright in Okie cause he's not welcome here in Texas, cocksucker.

WHerever you are Gary Darnell eat a chode.  

Bull Reese did more with less, but he was terrible at in game adjustments.

Mackovic's OC Eugene M. Dahlquist (born December 31, 1942)[1] is an American gridiron football coach and former player. He is currently the quarterbacks coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL), a position he assumed in February 2014. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Mack had the right type of offense and was convinced after the Bama loss to go to a style of offense that now everyone is slowly leaving.  We were ahead of the curve and then he fucked us up by hiring an offense more suited for the big10.  No thanks.  

What I never understood about Mack doing this was if Colt had not gotten hurt that night, I really think Texas would have won the game.  But for that injury, Texas wins it’s second national title but because of the loss using a Freshman QB with practically no meaningful playing time during the season, Mack wanted to blow everything up which started the 10 plus year death spiral.  If Bama had won that game with Colt playing the entire game, I could at least understand.  

Edited by Horn80

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Harsin is good but the wrong fit for Texas then and now.  I never was on his bandwagon and never will be.  He set us back.  Mack had the right type of offense and was convinced after the Bama loss to go to a style of offense that now everyone is slowly leaving.  We were ahead of the curve and then he fucked us up by hiring an offense more suited for the big10.  No thanks. 

LMAO at the notion that it was Harsin that set Texas back.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How in the hell does muschamp get two shots at HC and Chizik is on TV?

at least Chizik (yes, cam newton i know) has a NC. Youd think someone would at least try him out at DC

Chizik has two national championships, one as DC at Texas and one as HC at Auburn.  He must be satisfied with the money he made at Texas, ISU and Auburn.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

23 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Everett Whithers (former DB coach under Mack before Akina) was the head coach for Texas State, but was fired and now is a DB coach for the NY Football Giants.  

He had a good run at JMU not sure why he crashed and burned at Texas State other than it is Texas State.

6 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Bring back Leon Fuller

"I thought it might be a great way to finish a career." Mac McWhorter, Penn State October 20, 2013[5]      

They better bury Bobby Jack Wright in Okie cause he's not welcome here in Texas, cocksucker.

Mackovic's OC Eugene M. Dahlquist (born December 31, 1942)[1] is an American gridiron football coach and former player. He is currently the quarterbacks coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL), a position he assumed in February 2014. 

Kennedy is at Iowa, I believe. 

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Bring back Leon Fuller

15 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

Bedford is retired in Austin. I follow him on twitter and he’s a kick. I have a soft spot in my heart for Vance. I thought after his demotion from DC, when he oversaw the secondary, he did some of his best coaching. He can coach DBs. In that role it would be nice to have him around.

But does he bring in the croots?

How about past Longhorn players who are now coaches?

Rod Wright - DL coach, UTSA

Frank Okam - DL coach, Baylor

Kwame Cavil - Head football coach, Waco High

Oscar Giles - DL coach, Texas

Michael Huff - Defensive QC coach, Texas

Nathan Vasher - Volunteer coach, Texas

Eddie Jones - Assistant DL coach, Tarleton State

Kyle Shanahan - Head football coach, San Francisco 49ers

Blake Gideon - Special teams coordinator, UH

Jerry Gray - Secondary coach, Minnesota Vikings

Bryant Westbrook - Cornerbacks coach, Saguaro High (Scottsdale, AZ)

Alex De La Torre - Asst OL & TE/HB Coach, Denton Ryan

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, Red Five said:

We were hearing all 2009 about how the offense was going to be “changing”. It’s revisionist history now that it was because of the NC game.

It might be wrong but it is not revisionist. We had tons of articles by the $9.99 crowd in 2010 suggesting this was the reason. That Mack never wanted to rely on one player's health ever again.

I would not be surprised if they reported nonsense, but this narrative was not invented after the fact. This was very much what was discussed before the 2010 season.

Edited by Valmy77