austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

20 minutes ago, Pasken said:

What don't you like about Chad?

I can’t really put my finger on it but I find myself telling him to shut the fuck up every few minutes when his voice finds its way into my car.   He always sounds like the guy who tries too hard to be the funny guy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

If you have any Alexa device, you can tell it to tune in to almost any radio station and get an excellent feed. 

Thanks... adding below to bump to this page

Still get it thru The Horn ApphornFM.com, also found it on myTuner radio app (search for The Horn) so I could run it thru Roku on a TV.

Obviously if you can get the signals, 1260am and 101.9 FM (basically Williamson County and far North Austin) are still available

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I had to drive around and do some errands yesterday, and manually tuned into 101.9 to see how the signal was near the domain.  tried 3 diff times over 90 mins to listen

Its signal strength was actually WORSE than the 104.9 signal. 

Which tells me the only way to listen to these guys now is either the app, or on AM 1260.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah able to get it still thru The Horn ApphornFM.com, also found it on myTuner radio app (search for The Horn) so I could run it thru Roku on a TV.

Obviously if you can get the signals, 1260am and 101.9 FM (basically Williamson County and far North Austin) are still available.

Radio signals aren't good in most of South Austin though.

The easiest way to listen is via podcast.  They usually upload each hour of the show as a separate podcast about an hour or so after it aired.  So the Hour 1 show gets posted around 8, so on and so forth.  It’s on the Apple podcast app, Spotify, or whatever other app you already use.  Just subscribe listen to the most recent one at your leisure.  If they do an interesting interview or something they’ll usually upload that on its own too.  Very few commercials too, and easy to fast forward though them anyway.  And it’s nice to just bail on an entire episode and move to the next when they’re talking about something you aren’t interested in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I can’t really put my finger on it but I find myself telling him to shut the fuck up every few minutes when his voice finds its way into my car.   He always sounds like the guy who tries too hard to be the funny guy.  

For me it really depends on his co host. Him and Zay were awful together. I’ll give him a chance with someone new.

55 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

For me it really depends on his co host. Him and Zay were awful together. I’ll give him a chance with someone new.

He can be tolerable with the right host IMO. Trey and Zay were not great co-hosts at all. I don’t remember him being nearly as bad when he was with Kevin, but that could be recency bias talking.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

You don't think the Scottish Guy is one of the all-time great radio bits?

Killjoy. 

1 hour ago, demos said:

acting like a music snob.

This is the worst of his schtick.  From what I can tell by his tastes and what he says he knows about music, the word "snob" does not enter my mind. He's had a good run. It's now time for him to find something else to do until he retires. Don't all aggys sell insurance in the burbs?  I think he could do it.  After he signs up a newly wed couple for insurance on their condo and Subaru, he could finish it off with a "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH you damn right...…"

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

This is the worst of his schtick.  From what I can tell by his tastes and what he says he knows about music, the word "snob" does not enter my mind. He's had a good run. It's now time for him to find something else to do until he retires. Don't all aggys sell insurance in the burbs?  I think he could do it.  After he signs up a newly wed couple for insurance on their condo and Subaru, he could finish it off with a "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH you damn right...…"

I'm sure Liucci could use another fluffer at TexAgs.

Lots of love for the national programming in this thread but I can't stand it. It's nice to be able to listen to something focused on pro and collegiate Texas teams without having to hear about tennis or the Padres or some other boring shit.

That said, after the programming shake up last year and what they tried to do with the shows, I found myself not listening nearly as much. None of the shows had any chemistry and the personalities that they put together just came off as annoying. I think for me it all kind of started when Kevin Dunn left to take a different job and it all just went downhill from there. 

Also, full minute-long intros for each host was never a good idea. Neither was/is FLX-ATX as a forced main ingredient to each show's topic line-up. At best, it's a one hour show on like Wednesday nights and that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Lots of love for the national programming in this thread but I can't stand it. It's nice to be able to listen to something focused on pro and collegiate Texas teams without having to hear about tennis or the Padres or some other boring shit.

That said, after the programming shake up last year and what they tried to do with the shows, I found myself not listening nearly as much. None of the shows had any chemistry and the personalities that they put together just came off as annoying. I think for me it all kind of started when Kevin Dunn left to take a different job and it all just went downhill from there. 

Also, full minute-long intros for each host was never a good idea. Neither was/is FLX-ATX as a forced main ingredient to each show's topic line-up. At best, it's a one hour show on like Wednesday nights and that's it. 

KD/Rod B and occasionally B&E were the only two shows I listened to. When BK left, shit really slid and then KD took off. KD was the key for me to give up though. Harge has a great roladex but damn he was hard to listen to with his ineptitude at everything but baseball. He sounded like me talkin out my ass on the radio.

4 minutes ago, Monty Capuletti said:

Heard on the drive home Ball Don't Lie producer Patrick Davis will be doing the 5-7 drive home show.  I like him so I'm glad to see him getting a shot.

I guess. He doesn't have a personality to lead a show. I will listen but I don't expect much. He is not insightful at all. He just rides Rods stats and doesn't bring much. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

8 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I guess. He doesn't have a personality to lead a show. I will listen but I don't expect much. He is not insightful at all. He just rides Rods stats and doesn't bring much. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Patrick is a big no for me... guess finding a 2hr drivetime person is tough.

He should be inexpensive for them though

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The producer on B&E's show brings it. Nothing better than redundant stories of how drunk a 20-something can get. Except when he comes in too hungover to even push the buttons, at all.

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah able to get it still thru The Horn ApphornFM.com, also found it on myTuner radio app (search for The Horn) so I could run it thru Roku on a TV.

Obviously if you can get the signals, 1260am and 101.9 FM (basically Williamson County and far North Austin) are still available.

Radio signals aren't good in most of South Austin though.

They also have a live Twitch stream for the local shows if you search for "HornATX" on your Twitch smartphone app.

Edited by BachelorTrek

I’ve been traveling and not keeping up. My questions and thoughts:

So- these new shows are on 101.9 starting tomorrow?

The only people being retained are Erin and Rod? Who are on a morning show together? And maybe some Horn producers who also have time slots?

Chad seems like a decent guy, but he has no natural talent for radio. There’s a reason he hasn’t been picked up by a larger market. Zay is pretty funny and he’s a good homer fanboy, which I appreciate, but he hasn’t figured out his thing yet. Love it when he goes full black guy talk tho, and I appreciate his hip-hop knowledge. He could workout eventually somewhere.

Mike Hardge is so fucking bad at his job. He sounds like someone who was just walking down bourbon street sipping a daiquiri and someone shoved a mic in his face and he started talking. I felt bad for Babers. He’s so bad.

I’m still convinced that Flex ATX was the nail in the coffin for this channel. Every time they started on the high school sports thing, I changed the dial. Don’t care about a running back from Hutto that has an offer from UTSA. It could be my own kid and I still wouldn’t listen to it.

But the true thing that was always going to kill the station was the poor signal. The station didn’t even register on the dial in my car. Had to manually scroll to it because the signal was so shitty.

National sports radio is mostly terrible. As has been mentioned up thread, it’s nothing but LeBron/Celtics/Jets/Ohtani/Fantasy talk. I couldn’t care less. I’d much rather listen to Rod break down Sark tendencies. Much rather. 

The Ticket (experiencing its own change) is still great, but when it comes to the Horns, are either pure haters or completely uninformed. Usually it’s the latter. They know their own shtick (and boy do they love their own shtick, “corby laugh”), Cowboys, Rangers (kinda), Stars, Mavs, and OU football. Otherwise, they can’t speak intelligently to anything sports related all. They only talk sports 30-40% of the time, which is ok, because the comedy (especially old school Musers) is pretty special. It’s barely sports radio.

Was in Houston last week listening to redneck Clint Stoerner tell me how Marcus Semien is a pussy for not standing up to Martin Maldonado and fighting him like a man. The rest was Texans talk. Total aggy trash radio. There might be something  better in Houston, but idk.

Producers playing “theme of the day” music is so dumb.  Having the hosts guess the theme is even dumber. It’s really bad radio. They had two shows with “guess the music” intros that were cringy.

I’ll miss Buck. Heard him for 20 years now and he was always just off the cuff and a good listen. Good person too. 

Bottom line, Erin and Rod are excellent. Bucky was Bucky. Everyone else kinda sucked. Ownership seemed like it sucked. Bob Cole seems like he sucks. Sue Patrick is stupid. High school sports are awesome, but I don’t need anyone to discuss it on the radio or anywhere. You can invest in talent, but it won’t matter if your signal is undetectable. I’d like to hang out with Tom McKay’s daughter next time I’m in Boston, she seems to party. 

Sorry for the long post. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Interesting

I’ll check it out for sure. BK making moves. An audio-only live feed would help. 

My suggestion would be to also include football postgames and/or Sunday recaps. I think there is demand for reaction and analysis before Monday morning. Think Ward and Ed post game and Bucky/Lunchbox Sunday reviews. 

• Like 2

So 1260 and 101.9 have different stuff on right now. The 101.9 feed is practically unlistenable for most of Austin. 

1260 is a decent signal for me. Sounds like they have some national guys on right now. 

Is the new stuff supposed to be starting Monday?

19 hours ago, Deej said:

aggy Chad just gave his goodbyes. Hallelujah!

i guess i don't get the hate but I've been listening to him for two decades now. he's got his bits and he's stuck with them maybe too long but he's a solid radio host. 

the horn's problem is guardrails. stay (mostly) on topic and the content takes care of itself. but they never have and i'm not sure why. 

• Hook 'Em 2