Media/$9.95-er postgame analysis articles (Week 13)

satyanash

20 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Serious question do you think Tom would be awesome to party with? 

No. He’d never shut the fuck up. One would never hear the end of his stories. He’s probably the ultimate bottle capper- whatever you’ve done/experienced; he’s done twice!  No thanks.  Besides, I’d probably roofie him and ship his ass to Cambodia.  Wait...When & where’s this party?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Please stop. Who will coach this supposed better defense? Won’t win the big 12? Really? Isn’t that the goal for Texas, especially if mensa is still here for year four? Quick doubling down on stupid.

Wasn’t the decision to hire Tom driven by the donors?  He’s their boy and while it’s possible he could be fired if he goes 8-4 after next season I think it’s more likely CDC gives him one more year. 

Edited by Fozzz

3 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

No. He’d never shut the fuck up. One would never hear the end of his stories. He’s probably the ultimate bottle capper- whatever you’ve done/experienced; he’s done twice!  No thanks.  Besides, I’d probably roofie him and ship his ass to Cambodia.  Wait...When & where’s this party?

Party is in a strip club. Raunchy as hell. Think one of those on bourbon with the mattress on the floor.

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think the defense will take a big step forward next season with the experience they have accrued this season. We will also have a senior Ehlinger behind an experienced offense line. We probably won’t win the big 12 but they should win at least 8 games.

Only way I see a big improvement happening is with new offensive and defensive coordinators.

Just now, satyanash said:

Only way I see a big improvement happening is with new offensive and defensive coordinators.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they make big changes this off-season but they could fall into the same trap Charlie did in his last season where that dramatic of a change can result in unexpected problems. 

Joseph Cook: Longhorn offense stumbles again in 24-10 loss to Baylor

WACO — Texas followed a disjointed, eight three-and-out performance at Iowa State with another dismal offensive effort versus Baylor in a 24-10 loss. The Longhorns’ lone touchdown came with one second remaining in the game. Daniel Young rushed from four yards out into the end zone on his only carry. “Hats off to Baylor,” Herman said. “That was a pretty stellar defensive performance. We knew how fast and physical that defense was going into the game, and obviously we didn’t respond on that side of the football.”

Other than Young’s run and a 68-yard run by Keaontay Ingram before the end of the first half, the Baylor defense completely stifled Texas’ offense. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger was sacked five times, intercepted once, and completed 22-of-37 passes for 200 yards.

Texas eclipsed Baylor’s rushing total with 191 yards on 37 attempts. However, most of those were accumulated via Ingram’s run and on Ehlinger scrambles. Texas running backs rushed for 112 yards and Ehlinger rushed for 79, but the effectiveness of those yards was dramatically reduced by the Baylor defense. They were reduced further when Ingram was ruled out of the second half.

Herman’s offensive gameplan and the play of the Texas offensive line required extraordinary effort from Ehlinger on a down-by-down basis often just for positive yardage or to avoid a sack. The Longhorns were 4-of-13 on third down conversions. Two came in the first half, one on an Ehlinger run and the other on a completion to Brennan Eagles. The other two came in the second half with Texas down three scores.

No Longhorn receiver had more than 50 yards save Devin Duvernay. The Baylor defensive line disrupted Texas’ offensive line on pass and run plays. Baylor often only needed to rush three due to down and distance and their continual success. “If you can’t get the running game going, it’s really difficult against a defense like that,” Herman said. With only three rushing, eight Bear defenders were able to prevent any legitimate third-down passing offense from the Longhorns, save for some running back check downs and quarterback scrambles.

The drop-eight coverage turned Ehlinger over early in the fourth quarter, and the Bears capitalized with a field goal on the ensuing possession to accumulate their final three points. On 2nd and 10 just inside Baylor territory, Ehlinger stepped up and tried to make the longest available throw on the field to Eagles. Baylor’s Grayland Arnold tracked the ball, elevated, and caught it after erasing the cushion Eagles created.

“I don’t know,” Ehlinger said when asked where the Longhorn offense has went down the stretch of the season. “I don’t. It’s very frustrating, very frustrating. Our defense is doing a great job of playing hard, and we’re not handling our side of the bargain. We’ve got to take a lot of ownership in that and try to fix it.”

Two of Texas’ most successful plays on offense were the result of Ehlinger salvaging the play. The first was a seven-yard first quarter completion to Malcolm Epps after a mistimed snap from Zack Shackelford. The second was when Ehlinger miraculously escaped the grasp of Baylor defenders in the end zone to find Epps again in the second quarter.

The Longhorns held a Bear offense that scored 30 or more points in six games to 24 points. The opening score came on the first play of the second quarter when Baylor’s John Lovett followed his blockers for a 28-yard run. BU quarterback Charlie Brewer was responsible for the other two touchdowns; one a third quarter punch-in from the one-yard line, the other a 12-yard pass to Denzel Mims to make it 21-3.

Three different members of Texas’ starting offensive line, Zach Shackelford, Derek Kerstetter, and Parker Braun, received personal foul penalties in the second half. “There in the fourth quarter to lose our composure was ridiculous, unacceptable, and will be dealt with punitively,” Herman said.

The loss drops Texas to 6-5 and 4-4 in Big 12 play. The Longhorns still have a matchup with Texas Tech on the day after Thanksgiving, and Herman was adamant in saying he expected max effort from his team despite the season that has fallen short of lofty expectations.

“I’ll be damned if any of us throw in the towel because those guys deserve much more for everything that they’ve done for this program since we’ve gotten here,” Herman said. “They deserve and have earned the right to have a very memorable senior day.”

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Wait Tom Herman is safe? We'll see.

Clemson gave Dabo a "prove it" season after he went 6-7 in his third year. He then hired Chad Morris at OC, Brett Venables at DC, and won the ACC Championship. Things went well.

Texas gave Strong a "prove it" season after he went 5-7 in his second year. He then hired Sterlin Gilbert at OC, went 5-7 with a loss to Kansas, and was fired. Things didn't go well.

Point being, Herman will get a "prove it" year next season. Everything now hinges on the choices he makes when rebuilding his staff.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Clemson gave Dabo a "prove it" season after he went 6-7 in his third year. He then hired Chad Morris at OC, Brett Venables at DC, and won the ACC Championship. Things went well.

Texas gave Strong a "prove it" season after he went 5-7 in his second year. He then hired Sterlin Gilbert at OC, went 5-7 with a loss to Kansas, and was fired. Things didn't go well.

Point being, Herman will get a "prove it" year next season. Everything now hinges on the choices he makes when rebuilding his staff.

Well Mr. Allen, it is already past the point of waiting for next hires (if any) for everyone to know his system doesn’t work and it is time for something completely new.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is insane. Herman isn't going to change his system.  he will need to be fired.

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ok well it worked out for Dabo. But I cannot imagine everybody rushing to work with Herman after this year...but we'll see. Fozzz may be right and I may be wrong, God knows I am wrong about most things.

As for that David Allen tweet, well all most of us get to see is the stuff on the damn football field.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Ian Boyd) Five quick thoughts: Out-coached again

Quick thought no. 1: Texas played 9 on 11 on offense

It's baffling why Texas' solution to losing a guard on offense is to insert Denzel Okafor to RT and slide Derek Kerstetter inside. Kerstetter is a pretty good offensive tackle that can be trusted to hold up now and again against a good edge rusher, Okafor routinely struggles to hold up when teams come after him off the edge. Texas' slavish devotion to playing...the "best five" left them pretty vulnerable against the best defensive player (player period?) in the Big 12. Baylor lined up James Lynch over Okafor and were rewarded with several sacks and a great deal of disruption in Texas' ability to get much from their spread passing sets.

Quick thought no. 3: The offense is undergoing an epic collapse

...Without some of these key ingredients, Texas has actually resembled a Mark Dantonio Michigan State offense. Running the ball for minimal gains on standard downs before finally turning to the good spread passing stuff on third down while asking the QB to bail them out of trouble. It's gone about as well for Herman's Texas as it has for Dantonio's Spartans. This team gives itself no margin for error because they can't actually control the line of scrimmage...Next season Texas will likely have improved play at TE and perhaps RB as well, but this approach to offense doesn't make much sense for this league. Texas is trying to carefully control games with narrow margins when they should be using their access to the state's best recruiting talents to attack opponents and blow them away with high paced scoring.

Boyd essentially nails the offensive problems right here. 

Just like Charlie, Herman has good skill players but his offense is falling apart because of injuries/lack of quality depth on the OL.

But that's just part of the issue. The scheme isn't working and there's a lack of attention to detail, which is the opposite of what Herman is known for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Herman is safe because his buyout, plus the probable buyout for his replacement would be prohibitive. I guess they could just let the South Endzone project left undone for a year to pick up the tab. 

Does Urban have a buyout?

7 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Boyd essentially nails the offensive problems right here. 

Just like Charlie, Herman has good skill players but his offense is falling apart because of injuries/lack of quality depth on the OL.

But that's just part of the issue. The scheme isn't working and there's a lack of attention to detail, which is the opposite of what Herman is known for.

I think Herman and his staff are really bad a game planning on offense and defense. He seemed legitimately surprised in the post game press conference that we weren't able to move the ball. He said something like, "I think, no, I know we made good some good tweaks to the run game this week..." Then he said they were rushing 3 and dropping 8 and what could do against that? Every week he seems surprised that teams target our weaknesses. It's really bizarre.

With apologies to reformed drinkers on the board, Herman being an active alcoholic makes a lot of sense if you're familiar with the disease.  And I have absolutely no inside info on Tom's case in particular other than what I just read on the board, but it does tick a few boxes.

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

With apologies to reformed drinkers on the board, Herman being an active alcoholic makes a lot of sense if you're familiar with the disease.  And I have absolutely no inside info on Tom's case in particular other than what I just read on the board, but it does tick a few boxes.

No apologies necessary and I think you are right.

The complete inconsistency of character I brought up is an alky thing.  Certainly not limited to alkies, but a definite alky thing.

Could explain a lot.

15 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

This is ridiculous and the team’s lack of performance provides no basis for making this kind of accusation. You should be ashamed. 

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

That sounds like fans wishcasting. He’s not going anywhere so put your big boy pants on and deal with it. 

Or I could, you know, stop giving a fuck and not watch the games.  If Mack’s collapse and the short reign of Chuckles the Clown taught me anything isnthat I can literally ignore this team and the sun will rise on Sunday.  And I get my Saturday as an added bonus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Or I could, you know, stop giving a fuck and not watch the games.  If Mack’s collapse and the short reign of Chuckles the Clown taught me anything isnthat I can literally ignore this team and the sun will rise on Sunday.  And I get my Saturday as an added bonus.

That’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Don’t know why you felt the need to post about it though. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Just pointing out apathy is easy at this point.  And CDC may want to consider that.

For reference, on my personal apathy scale., I feel the same level of enthusiasm right now for Texas football as I did after the Oklahoma State game in 2016 where they blocked three PAT's and I was certain Charlie would not be able to fix it.  I'm not convinced yet Herman can't fix it, but his unlikability makes me not care a lot more.

13 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This is ridiculous and the team’s lack of performance provides no basis for making this kind of accusation. You should be ashamed. 

Accusation? I guess the part about me having no actual inside info flew right by you. 

Look, Michelle, I said nothing about the team's lack of performance, I was referring to certain personality traits of your husband and how they would fit into the general traits of active alcoholics I have observed.  As the former spouse of an alcoholic myself, I feel for you and highly recommend Al-Anon.  Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Accusation? I guess the part about me having no actual inside info flew right by you. 

Look, Michelle, I said nothing about the team's lack of performance, I was referring to certain personality traits of your husband and how they would fit into the general traits of active alcoholics I have observed.  As the former spouse of an alcoholic myself, I feel for you and highly recommend Al-Anon.  Good luck.

lol shut the fuck up. We both know you wouldn’t be saying this bullshit if the team were 8-3 right now.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

38 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This.  I took the wife wine-tasting, and then went to IKEA and bought a new chair for my home office.  I feel like the day was infinitely more productive and enjoyable than if I had stayed home and watched the shit Mensa trotted out onto the field for three hours today.  Didn't miss a goddamn thing.

38 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There is nothing wrong with the system on either side of the ball. It’s the implementation that’s the problem. 

Seriously? If you consistently fail to execute, it's either a scheme problem or a talent problem. Against Baylor, ISU, and TCU, you can't blame a lack of talent. The defense looks much better since Orlando stopped all the crazy blitzing and we seem to be playing a lot more man coverage. We couldn't hold up in coverage long enough for the blitzers to reach the quarterback. You could call that poor execution, but after it happens over and over it indicates a problem with the play calls. It's gotten better, but we've still got issues. On Baylor's first touchdown drive, they consistently overloaded the left side and we didn't adjust. The ran it 6 straight times, I believe all to the left. I'm not sure why they stopped running it to the left because we didn't stop it. You can't blame a corner for not holding the edge when they have 2 tight ends and a pulling lineman outflanking the d-line and linebackers. At one point they threw a wide receiver screen where we effectively had one DB covering two receivers and what I assume was another DB tasked with covering a receiver and setting the edge. With the wide receivers out near the sideline, there's no way he can do both effectively. Those are play calls targeting the structure of our defense. Similarly, we haven't been able to run the last two weeks and our offense hasn't done much outside of two-minute drills. Yes, we played a couple of good defenses, but the other teams know what we're going to run based on alignment. Last week, one of the only things we did well was outlet passes to the running backs. Baylor was prepared for that and our only effective response was Sam running for his life. As the season goes on, a larger percentage of our offensive success comes from broken plays - the low snap that Sam completed for a first down, the near safety, the long run at the end of the half. That indicates a problem with our scheme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I see this post from someone after every loss. They do not care but yet they are here posting after a loss letting us know they do not care. The day I stop caring about Texas football I will be like I am on the basketball board. Gone except for the occasional end of year fire X coach post so that I can start to care again. Since I do want to care like I use too. I use to love the Cowboys like I do my Longhorns but now I only watch when I have FFL players on their team and I am still in the hunt. So get out of here with these statements. 

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I skimmed the first article.  It makes reference to us no longer being eligible for the Big XII championship game.  

I would have thought such thoughts would have evaporated weeks ago.  How the fuck were we still mathematically in the running?  

Eat Baylor and they lose next week

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

The team hasn’t quit. Baylor and ISU are simply better teams and it should come with no surprise that we lost these games. 

No, this team quit on him and it showed it’s ugly head with the ejection in the 4th.   Tom has officially lost the locker room although it was kind of unofficial much earlier in the season. 

• Like 1