2020 Little League Thread of Dominance

pepper brooks

Update:

Colo vs Abilene,  Mon, 8PM,  ESPN2

Winner vs La, Tues, 6PM, ESPN for a trip to Williamsport

La defeated Colo today 11-0 without extending their pitching staff.    Would be nice to see Abilene pull the upset, but will be a challenge (sayin' there is a chance/gif)

#stayawayCovid

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, torre said:

Update:

Colo vs Abilene,  Mon, 8PM,  ESPN2

Winner vs La, Tues, 6PM, ESPN for a trip to Williamsport

La defeated Colo today 11-0 without extending their pitching staff.    Would be nice to see Abilene pull the upset, but will be a challenge (sayin' there is a chance/gif)

#stayawayCovid

Louisiana is already qualified for the LLWS. The winners and the runners-up from each USA region are going this year.

So tonight's game between Abilene and Boulder is for a trip to Williamsport.

Edited by Huckleberry

On 8/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, F250 said:

Yes, most prefer one and not the other because the time commitment is insane. When LL came out with minimum required games played to qualify for All Stars it allowed for players to skip LL games during the regular season but it's still a time suck.

There has been a big talent drain in Little League over the years but I don't really think it occurs at the upper level. Ever since Little League allowed for Select players there has been a big increase in talent with the teams that make it to the Regionals and LLWS. It's now pretty common to see teams at Williamsport that are made up of kids that play at the Majors level in Select and some teams lucky enough to have a bunch of kids from a single Majors Select team in the same district. That wasn't the case prior to the rule changes.

A few years ago there was a team in the LLWS from Las Vegas that was stacked with players from a 12U Majors team that my kid played against at a Triple Crown tournament in Arizona. That was a very talented Select team and a good portion of the LL team was made up of the same players.

Prior to the rule change I would rate a lot of those LLWS teams were about the equivalent of a mediocre AAA team in Select.

So the talent has increased in All Stars because teams are using ringers. However the middle of the pack level of talent has vanished from Little League due to the proliferation of AA and weaker AAA Select baseball teams. There are a lot of kids playing in Select that would be good in Little League but in reality just are not good enough to be in Select.

The movement of middle tier talent has been the most harmful to Little League and recreational youth baseball. Talent drain plus the fact that it's creating a barrier to entry for families of lesser means is bad for the sport of baseball.

This is so correct it hurts. Our league (Little League) has a handful of kids who can play select, a very shallow next tier, then very poor players after that. I don't mind at all the fact that the poor players have somewhere to play, but you're right that the kids most hurt by the current baseball world are the mid-tier guys. Some of them could develop into good players with more playing time but they go to select, play at lower levels, and basically just help fund the better select players. I've been doing a little research around here and have already heard from several families about how the big select organizations frequently have some pretty crappy coaches for the lower levels and it's just a revenue scam.

Right around 13-14 years old every halfway decent player in our league bails for select ball, which is right when those mid-tier guys would be able to get more playing time and improve a bit. Still not sure what we're going to do with my son but like I've said before, he's a better swimmer so that may be his high school gig. Either way the "have to play select ball" culture is really harming some kids' development. The last private coach I talked to was basically shocked when I told him we're looking for someone to help my son improve to his ceiling, be highly competitive in his league, and maybe make the high school team someday. Basically everyone who talks to him wants their kid to be guaranteed a scholarship. The good news was he didn't balk once he heard that, instead he was glad to hear it. I told him he's not going to give 40 hours a week to baseball because he has too much other stuff (band, theater, swimming, track, and obviously actual school).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is so correct it hurts. Our league (Little League) has a handful of kids who can play select, a very shallow next tier, then very poor players after that. I don't mind at all the fact that the poor players have somewhere to play, but you're right that the kids most hurt by the current baseball world are the mid-tier guys. Some of them could develop into good players with more playing time but they go to select, play at lower levels, and basically just help fund the better select players. I've been doing a little research around here and have already heard from several families about how the big select organizations frequently have some pretty crappy coaches for the lower levels and it's just a revenue scam.

Right around 13-14 years old every halfway decent player in our league bails for select ball, which is right when those mid-tier guys would be able to get more playing time and improve a bit. Still not sure what we're going to do with my son but like I've said before, he's a better swimmer so that may be his high school gig. Either way the "have to play select ball" culture is really harming some kids' development. The last private coach I talked to was basically shocked when I told him we're looking for someone to help my son improve to his ceiling, be highly competitive in his league, and maybe make the high school team someday. Basically everyone who talks to him wants their kid to be guaranteed a scholarship. The good news was he didn't balk once he heard that, instead he was glad to hear it. I told him he's not going to give 40 hours a week to baseball because he has too much other stuff (band, theater, swimming, track, and obviously actual school).

Yes, those big organizations with multiple teams are definitely subsidizing the elite teams with the AA teams. That is very common. If someone goes the AA route they would be better off avoiding those academy teams because they will not get enough attention from the organization.

I've always been an advocate of Recreational ball until 12 but it's important to go select by 13 if the goal is high school baseball. The sprint to HS ball begins during the Spring of 8th grade and doesn't stop. By the summer after 8th grade players will be trying out for HS Fall teams playing 16U with a good mix of Sophomores. A kid will go from playing against other Middle School kids to playing with experienced 16 year old Sophomores in a matter of months.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Louisiana is already qualified for the LLWS. The winners and the runners-up from each USA region are going this year.

Thanks for the correction !

Because of no International Teams this year  ?

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

personally I'd rather it be US only in the future. more teams from US would be more interesting to me at least.

some pretty good fielding in the right outfield and right semi-outfield by the Abilene, Texas team those kids made some great diving catches and one to finish the game

The girl catcher for the Texas team took some nice swings of the bat, but didn't connect and she played well behind the plate even when the starter was a bit scattered

Apparently Hawaii had a kid test positive for Covid, but little league decided to let them remain in the tournament. That’s a bad look for them after kicking out the three teams in the Southwest regional.

*Looks like the Nevada team that Hawaii is playing had three positive tests, but they’re allowing that game to continue…wow.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

personally I'd rather it be US only in the future. more teams from US would be more interesting to me at least.

I have the exact opposite opinion. It’s truly a “world series”. Plus many of the foreign teams are better than the American ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Normally the teams below 15U are subsidizing the A team 15U+ teams to pay for coaches and go to tourneys all over the country. I also am not saying it still isn't worth it if you want your son to compete against the best. Also, there are good dad coaches. I've seen it. I've also seen very bad. My oldest son started travel ball at 9 and my youngest is now 10 and still in little league because he doesn't have as much interest or drive as big bro which is fine. There is a place for all which I think is great. LL is incredibly watered down compared to I'd guess 20 yrs ago before travel went insane. 

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I have the exact opposite opinion. It’s truly a “world series”. Plus many of the foreign teams are better than the American ones.

That's not exactly fair. We are putting some town's team that's the best of all the other town's team whereas most of these countries just collect the best kids in the country. Could you imagine what type of team the US could field if we could put the best 15 kids in 1 team? 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

That's not exactly fair. We are putting some town's team that's the best of all the other town's team whereas most of these countries just collect the best kids in the country. Could you imagine what type of team the US could field if we could put the best 15 kids in 1 team? 

That's not how it works anymore. And the US has had more issues with teams collecting players from all over a big area than other countries in the last couple of decades.

9 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

The international teams are not national teams. Like the U.S. they have leagues, districts and regions and play the same All Star tournaments like the U.S. teams to get to the LLWS.

9 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Could you imagine what type of team the US could field if we could put the best 15 kids in 1 team? 

Yes. The NYBC started off really cool because it was all the champions from every recreational league and select organization. But then they allowed unfrozen rosters so teams assembled of kids across the country started dominating. The recreational leagues dropped out and now it's just some crazy tournament made up of the best players in the country.

2018nybcchampweek-main.jpg

On 8/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, F250 said:

Yes, those big organizations with multiple teams are definitely subsidizing the elite teams with the AA teams. That is very common. If someone goes the AA route they would be better off avoiding those academy teams because they will not get enough attention from the organization.

I've always been an advocate of Recreational ball until 12 but it's important to go select by 13 if the goal is high school baseball. The sprint to HS ball begins during the Spring of 8th grade and doesn't stop. By the summer after 8th grade players will be trying out for HS Fall teams playing 16U with a good mix of Sophomores. A kid will go from playing against other Middle School kids to playing with experienced 16 year old Sophomores in a matter of months.

This is my thought, really. My son is going to be playing with 16-year-olds starting this fall by playing in our Little League in the senior division. Those guys aren't high school caliber players but they're much bigger and stronger than my son. And when thinking through the next step I knew that committing to a select program wasn't feasible with his schedule. Then I wondered why the Little League couldn't be the equivalent of a well run AA level of instruction and play. My thinking is the only reason it can't be that is because it hasn't been that in recent memory. I mean that's essentially what Little League is with drafted teams, restricted rosters, etc. So why not improve the instruction, really helping the kids who stay in the league, and thereby grow the league's reputation back up so more kids stay in it and realize it's an option moving forward? Especially those kids who have multiple activities considering the three team activities per week restriction?

So given the old line about wanting something done right, I'm going to be coaching the fuck out of some 14 to 16 year old kids this fall and spring. And maybe the next two fall and spring cycles after that. I already got put onto the league's board after coaching one calendar year when my son was 13, so I guess here we go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is my thought, really. My son is going to be playing with 16-year-olds starting this fall by playing in our Little League in the senior division. Those guys aren't high school caliber players but they're much bigger and stronger than my son. And when thinking through the next step I knew that committing to a select program wasn't feasible with his schedule. Then I wondered why the Little League couldn't be the equivalent of a well run AA level of instruction and play. My thinking is the only reason it can't be that is because it hasn't been that in recent memory. I mean that's essentially what Little League is with drafted teams, restricted rosters, etc. So why not improve the instruction, really helping the kids who stay in the league, and thereby grow the league's reputation back up so more kids stay in it and realize it's an option moving forward? Especially those kids who have multiple activities considering the three team activities per week restriction?

So given the old line about wanting something done right, I'm going to be coaching the fuck out of some 14 to 16 year old kids this fall and spring. And maybe the next two fall and spring cycles after that. I already got put onto the league's board after coaching one calendar year when my son was 13, so I guess here we go.

Good to hear. It can be done. I mentioned a Little League district that does put a lot of investment into their senior league which feeds a lot of kids into their high school program. Granted, the guy responsible for it is an MLB scout and a former MiLB manager with a lot of pull. Still, there are a number of successful senior league teams out there so it can be done.

Not that it's available around here but Babe Ruth Baseball is a great recreational senior league popular in some parts of the country. Another one is American Legion Baseball.

Sounds like a career decision for more competition at the Team USA series.    Wonder how is teammates feel ?

LLWS Schedule:

Thursday, Aug. 19

Game Matchup Time (ET) Channel
1 Hawaii vs. Connecticut 1 p.m. ESPN
2 Tennessee vs. Ohio 3 p.m. ESPN
3 Nebraska vs. New Jersey 5 p.m. ESPN
4 New Hampshire vs. California 7 p.m. ESPN

Friday, Aug. 20

5 Pennsylvania vs. Oregon 1 p.m. ESPN
6 Michigan vs. Florida 3 p.m. ESPN
7 Louisiana vs. South Dakota 5 p.m. ESPN
8 Washington vs. Texas 7 p.m. ESPN2

Saturday, Aug. 21

9 Loser 2 vs. Loser 4 1 p.m. ESPN
10 Loser 1 vs. Loser 3 3 p.m. ABC
11 Loser 6 vs. Loser 8 6 p.m. ESPN
12 Loser 5 vs. Loser 7 8 p.m. ESPN

Sunday, Aug. 22

13 Winner 2 vs. Winner 4 9 a.m. ESPN
14 Winner 1 vs. Winner 3 11 a.m. ESPN
15 Winner 6 vs. Winner 8 1 p.m. ESPN
16 Winner 5 vs. Winner 7 2 p.m. ABC

Monday, Aug. 23

17 Loser 15 vs. Winner 10 1 p.m. ESPN
18 Loser 16 vs. Winner 9 3 p.m. ESPN
19 Winner 12 vs. Loser 13 5 p.m. ESPN2
20 Winner 11 vs. Loser 14 7 p.m. ESPN2

Tuesday, Aug. 24

21 Winner 18 vs. Winner 19 3 p.m. ESPN
22 Winner 17 vs. Winner 20 7:30 p.m. ESPN

Wednesday, Aug. 25

23 Winner 13 vs. Winner 16 3 p.m. ESPN
24 Winner 14 vs. Winner 15 7:30 p.m. ESPN

Thursday, Aug. 26

25 Loser 24 vs. Winner 22 3 p.m. ESPN
26 Loser 23 vs. Winner 21 7 p.m. ESPN

Saturday, Aug. 28

27 Winner 23 vs. Winner 26 12:30 p.m. ABC
28 Winner 24 vs. Winner 25 3:30 p.m. ABC

Sunday, Aug. 29

29 (Consolation) Loser 27 vs. Loser 28 10 a.m. ESPN
30 (Final) Winner 27 vs. Winner 28 3 p.m. ABC

How to watch Little League World Series games

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/little-league-world-series-2021-schedule-bracket/io350bs5cl3l1ax5qcif5t9f6

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Isn’t the kid 12?  Career decision at 12 seems like it ducks. 

Seems a little short sighted. All of 17 people are gonna watch whatever tourney he’s going to instead, despite the competition level being way higher. Lots more people will watch the LLWS. Seems like a good chance to raise your notoriety, like Mo’ne Davis did back in the day. I highly doubt his baseball career would be derailed by missing a tournament when he was 12. 

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

The young girl from Abilene just got a base hit and scorbined a run in the Little League World Series.  Great job!

She had a great game including two ESPN interviews.   Super young lady.   Needs to hire an attorney for NIL.   🙂

Abilene wins 6-0 vs Washington.   Play Michigan Sunday.

Louisiana lost to SDak 2-0.    Combined no hitter for SDak.   First pitcher threw 5.2 before reaching pitch count.   His 3rd no hitter in postseason.   La plays Pa Sunday.

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2021/llbws/bracket/

On 8/17/2021 at 10:18 PM, Helobious said:

Seems a little short sighted. All of 17 people are gonna watch whatever tourney he’s going to instead, despite the competition level being way higher. Lots more people will watch the LLWS. Seems like a good chance to raise your notoriety, like Mo’ne Davis did back in the day. I highly doubt his baseball career would be derailed by missing a tournament when he was 12. 

Playing for Team USA would be pretty cool but that tournament is essentially a tryout for team USA, "wetalkingaboutpractice.gif"

Unfortunately Hawaii doesn't have the opportunity to represent the US in the LLWS because there are no international teams but still it's going to be on ESPN. Crazy decision.

Abilene loses to Michigan 6-5 in a 2 hour plus *rain delayed game which affected both pitching staffs.

Abilene had 5-0 lead but a grand slam got Michigan back in the game.    Abilene plays Jersey, Tuesday at 2PM.    Hawaii looks like favorite on this side of bracket, vs Michigan on Wed.

(*  heavy rain occurred in first inning.   game should not have started.)

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2021/llbws/bracket/

Edited by torre

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Abilene coach seems like an awesome guy. Totally just picked his pitcher up and calmed him down. 

Texas gets out of the 3rd - NJ leaves 3 on. Texas up 2-0. 

Didn’t see that .. 0-beer-30 time … but, I believe his son is pitching for Abilene.

BTW, Regala has great mechanics.  No flying parts, whole body straight downhill and finishes in perfect fielding position.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn