Covers better than Original

Jerry Callo

• 3 weeks later...

Solomon brings the soul and the humorous twists with some delicious lyrical changes.

"If you come to my house baby, you can just...smoke my cee-gar!"

"What are you doing in there? Gimme my checkbook back and don't take my credit cards."

He breaks up the entire band at the end. "What in the heck is goin' on there? Have y'all got religion?"

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the 90’s, I got an American Express card in the mail.  An hour or so later, I set out for California with my buddy in his Isuzu Trooper.  Skipped school for a week.  Slept on the floor of a frat house library in Tempe (don’t know which one…my buddy told them he was in that frat in Austin).  

Drank a lot.  Hung out on the beaches of San Diego for four or five days.  One day, we set out for LA because he knew these twins from his time at Texas Tech.  

I was awakened the next morning by a pretty big earthquake.  The girls had (somehow) left for work, and I thought my buddy had come into the bedroom I was in and was shaking the bed to mess with me. Then I realized that I was in the room alone.  I went running out to the living room at the exact moment he ran out of his own bedroom, and with the walls still rattling, we popped open a couple beers to celebrate.  “Earthquake!  Whooooo!  Earthquake!”

Anyway, on the road from San Diego, we listened to “LA Woman” by Billy Idol over and over again.  And it kicks the shit out of the original.  

When we got home, I had to sell my car to pay the Amex bill. Had to walk everywhere for the rest of the year. In the words of Max Fischer:  “You know what?  It was worth it.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 12:34 AM, Paul Wesley said:

Anyway, on the road from San Diego, we listened to “LA Woman” by Billy Idol over and over again.  And it kicks the shit out of the original.  

Have you listened to the song since the 90s? Your otherwise charming story led me to give the Billy Idol version a listen for the first time and it's utter trash. Unlistenable. "Kicks the shit out of the original" sure sure...what a horrible opinion. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, Rip76 said:

This isn't a cover version. It wasn't written by a member of Fleetwood Mac but by a friend of Lindsey's and Stevie's specifically for the band, and the first time it appeared on an album was when Fleetwood Mac/Fleetwoood Mac was released.

31 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Have you listened to the song since the 90s? Your otherwise charming story led me to give the Billy Idol version a listen for the first time and it's utter trash. Unlistenable. "Kicks the shit out of the original" sure sure...what a horrible opinion. 

Screenshot-2024-02-04-at-1-20-33-PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I dont think I’ve ever let a Doors song play all the way through. Never been my thing.

Still it's a long walk from one of the most influential bands in the history of rock and roll to an insipid mash up-of White Wedding and a karaoke version of LA Woman.

image.thumb.png.dd297e8ebb15013d37dec8a63ae2bbae.png

On 4/9/2018 at 10:22 AM, HiggyBaby said:

On a hair band kick lately and I’ll take Great White’s version of Once Bitten Twice Shy over the original. Original sounds like a bad karaoke song.

"Bad karaoke song" can't possibly be referencing the Ian Hunter Band's original. I refuse to believe it. Dissing Ian Hunter -- who's one of the most notable omissions from the R&R Hall of Fame for his solo work and as a founding member of Mott the Hoople -- along with Mick Ronson on guitar like that? If someone's doing a karaoke version of Once Bitten it's definitely the sterile and soulless version by Great White.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

I feel like the Doors are one of those stages-of-life bands.  Sort of like discovering Kerouac or Hunter S Thompson, there's a point in life where the Doors *seem* to be rebellious or counter-culture in a way that appeals to a youthful brain.  And only later do you get more breadth and depth of experience that allows you to accurately reclassify those artists according to their actual artistic merit (read:  "meh").  

For the Doors specifically, reading "No One Here Gets Out Alive" and considering Morrison to be a genius -- that time period will coincide with the one where you're still a gawky virgin, but you carry that same condom in your wallet for an entire fucking year.

Someone should start a "bands you outgrow" thread.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I suspect most music fans are predisposed to carry their infatuation with certain artists they discovered in their youth throughout their lives.  To me, the bar to clear would be whether or not a legacy artist engages kids of later generations.  The Beatles certainly do.  Led Zeppelin to some degree, The Clash, Nirvana, there are plenty of bands that scores of current 20-ish kids love.  The Doors never seem to make that cut . . . because they sucked.

• Hook 'Em 3

I suspect most music fans are predisposed to carry their infatuation with certain artists they discovered in their youth throughout their lives.  To me, the bar to clear would be whether or not a legacy artist engages kids of later generations.  The Beatles certainly do.  Led Zeppelin to some degree, The Clash, Nirvana, there are plenty of bands that scores of current 20-ish kids love.  The Doors never seem to make that cut . . . because they sucked.

Their songs just sound awful to me. Morrison can’t sing, that damn organ sounds like nails on a chalkboard (and I’m normally a huge B3 fan), the production quality is terrible. The songs are actually kind of ok, I just can’t listen to them.

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Their songs just sound awful to me. Morrison can’t sing, that damn organ sounds like nails on a chalkboard (and I’m normally a huge B3 fan), the production quality is terrible. The songs are actually kind of ok, I just can’t listen to them.

Agreed.  No bass, some shitty-ass organ filling in, stupid lyrics, the original Scott Stapp on vocals.  It's just nightmarish.

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I feel like the Doors are one of those stages-of-life bands.  Sort of like discovering Kerouac or Hunter S Thompson, there's a point in life where the Doors *seem* to be rebellious or counter-culture in a way that appeals to a youthful brain.  And only later do you get more breadth and depth of experience that allows you to accurately reclassify those artists according to their actual artistic merit (read:  "meh").  

For the Doors specifically, reading "No One Here Gets Out Alive" and considering Morrison to be a genius -- that time period will coincide with the one where you're still a gawky virgin, but you carry that same condom in your wallet for an entire fucking year.

Someone should start a "bands you outgrow" thread.   

Lulz, what a stupid take.   Just laughably bad.  Yeah they ripped off the blues.  But they did it better than 98% of the folks that tried and at least they added something to it...  Complex composition, nah, just iconic tunes

Riders on the Storm

LA Women

Backdoor man

Light My fire

LA Women

Roadhouse blues

End of Night

Break on Through

Love Her madly

Love me two times

Yeah, what losers!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

image.png.b05d3adfcf64adf9f8887867c7f10a6b.png

• Haha 1

OK, let's try to get this thread back on track.  Most of the really good examples of "the cover is better than the original" have already been posted above.  But I'm sure there are still some good ones out there.

This first one -- I don't think it's better than the original, but it's pretty good.  And it led me to the original (by Pulp), so I have a soft spot for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Bob Dylan cover by Jimi.

Good choice. Already posted on page one. Understandable since it's impossible to do a search when it's just a YouTube link.

I was going to submit the Pixies cover of Head On and sure enough there it was on page one.

I would imagine all the obvious ones have already been posted somewhere in this thread - black magic woman, red red wine, Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly's song, Hallelujah, etc.

14 minutes ago, ajax said:

I would imagine all the obvious ones have already been posted somewhere in this thread - black magic woman, red red wine, Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly's song, Hallelujah, etc.

I went back through the thread earlier and I don't think Red Red Wine was posted, so that's a really good one.  (Quite a few videos that were linked in the posts made years ago are no longer visible, so I'm not 100% sure about which particular songs have already been mentioned.  But I'm pretty sure Red Red Wine wasn't listed.)

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Good choice. Already posted on page one. Understandable since it's impossible to do a search when it's just a YouTube link.

I was going to submit the Pixies cover of Head On and sure enough there it was on page one.

I was too damn lazy to read the thread.  So, a big SIAP for All Along the Watchtower and Twist and Shout.  However, have now perused the entire thread and will effort to not duplicate.  

I saw Tedeschi-Trucks Band at Moody quite a few years ago.  I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of slide guitar, but Trucks is obviously legit.  Still, his wife was absolutely the star of the show for anyone who wasn't a guitar freak.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I saw Tedeschi-Trucks Band at Moody quite a few years ago.  I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of slide guitar, but Trucks is obviously legit.  Still, his wife was absolutely the star of the show for anyone who wasn't a guitar freak.

I saw them a few years ago as well. I think she is a very good singer but to me there’s some sort of life missing in her tone that the really greats have. That said, I could listen to her sing all day every day.

I honestly thought the star of that show was just how tight that damn band was. Their groove on songs like midnight in Harlem is just fantastic.

Oh and Los Lobos opened up and came out and joined later in the set. That didn’t suck either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2024 at 11:34 PM, Paul Wesley said:

In the 90’s, I got an American Express card in the mail.  An hour or so later, I set out for California with my buddy in his Isuzu Trooper.  Skipped school for a week.  Slept on the floor of a frat house library in Tempe (don’t know which one…my buddy told them he was in that frat in Austin).  

Drank a lot.  Hung out on the beaches of San Diego for four or five days.  One day, we set out for LA because he knew these twins from his time at Texas Tech.  

I was awakened the next morning by a pretty big earthquake.  The girls had (somehow) left for work, and I thought my buddy had come into the bedroom I was in and was shaking the bed to mess with me. Then I realized that I was in the room alone.  I went running out to the living room at the exact moment he ran out of his own bedroom, and with the walls still rattling, we popped open a couple beers to celebrate.  “Earthquake!  Whooooo!  Earthquake!”

When we got home, I had to sell my car to pay the Amex bill. Had to walk everywhere for the rest of the year. In the words of Max Fischer:  “You know what?  It was worth it.”

And then Dalton blew up your house in Missouri 

On 2/10/2024 at 4:29 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, on a good night Los Lobos is the best band in the world.

Sometimes, though, they go all Phish on me.

Speaking of, this is one of their covers that I never get tired of.  And frankly, I do think it's better than the original. Forgive me if I posted it here before.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This isnt better than the original. It's just one of the strangest videos I've ever seen. Had no idea it existed until this morning. I’m so confused by the whole situation. 

Rhythmic clapping. Soldiers singing “now you do they told ya” in front of their ruthless dictator.