Beer 2020: Pint glasses or it didn’t happen.

HenryJames

Don't hear a lot of discussion of Alstadt  from Fredericksburg on here.  I enjoy their Alt Amber and the Oktoberfest was good. For all of the shit I CANNOT get up here, Alstadt is relatively well distributed.

Wife and sister-in-law keep talking about a trip to Fredericksburg and all I can think of is old people type activities browsing antiques and shops.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Now, at least I get an afternoon at the brewery if the trip ever comes to fruition, and a visit to the National Museum of the Pacific War.

beer-beerspage-amber-medal.png

Edited by slorch

so the can isn't pretty or what are y'all saying?

IDGAF if it just says "Altbier" in black and white on the outside.  If the product is good, that's all that really matters.

The best branding in beers belongs to a very boring, run of the mill product in American lagers.   La-di-freeaking-dah.

Edited by slorch

Aldstadt isn't bad.  Nothing of theirs blows me away but it's all pretty drinkable.  Except their Hefe, don't bother with it, you'll just wish you'd bought Live Oak.

@slorch That brewery is an absolute palace.  Literally.  It's a castle.  They built it to be an event venue, with a ton of different rooms including a great bierhall.  The food is decent and the beer is pretty good, I don't think you'd be disappointed with a stop there.  Definitely better than antique and junk store shopping.

(If they've reopened, of course-- the brewery tap rooms were closed for several months due to COVID).  

On 10/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, mdleast said:

Who me? Oh I just stopped by to drop off the info on Martin House’s latest “hot” release/ongoing trolling of Surly...

be55a2b035c5ed46dc07ccac7d86d703.jpg

I haven't visited this thread In a few weeks.  Come back to see this.   I.... I don't even know any more. 

I'll be back when spring seasonals come out next month. 

A site/app called Craft Beer Kings which is California based (which is my jam)
Damn, that site has some cool stuff. Some really expensive cool stuff. Saw a beer that piqued my interest... $20 for a half bomber. Nah I'm good.

Tonight
Bad pic, Tupps barrel aged stout. It's great. 599d9e406b1fb857c51eb2ca580086de.jpg

$20 for a half bomber sounds crazy expensive to me too. My rule of thumb on these kind of sites is to be somewhat selective about what I’ll buy and mainly leave it up to, after factoring in shipping and dividing the total costs by the number of beers I’m buying, does the average cost equal about what I would be willing to pay to buy/bring these out of state beers home with me or what I might pay for one I’ve been really wanting if at a bar or bottle shop while out of state. I’m also using this reasoning to justify these purchases since I’ve missed out on at least three out of state trips I would have otherwise taken since COVID hit (two California plus a Boston trip).

BTW, it would be pretty rare for me to want to pay $20 for a half bomber too (whether here or out of state).

• Hook 'Em 1

Symbol Brewing is a brand new Dallas brewery with apparently only three beers released thus far. Trying their West Coast IPA. My initial reaction upon first drinking was that it tastes a tad malty for a West Coast IPA. However, the more I drink it, I taste less malt (which makes me think I was initially mistaken) and more of what I remember classic old school West Coast IPAs first tasting like when I first started drinking them (and the more I drink this, the more I like it). If anything, I’ll give extra bonus points to any brewery (especially local) putting out a West Coast IPA. Definitely worth a try and I’ll be looking for their other beers.

bb1e83384699a8c83225f80d680542ea.jpg