Full or Divided Kitchen Sink?

fluff

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Why are you taking pictures in my kitchen?? But seriously, what side is your disposal on? I have this sink (and Gaggia classic), and they put the disposal on the small side and it's a huge pain in the ass. I'm just renting this place until my kids graduate high school in 2025 so I'm not going to change it, but when they're off to college and I buy something elsewhere, I'll be looking for a large single sink or I'll remodel the kitchen and add it.

Ha!  I swapped the Gaggia Classic for a Brera, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for a larger split of deep sinks.  The disposal is on the small side of our sink.  That part doesn't bother me.  But scrubbing pots and pans on that side because the other side is on soak or drying rack duty has proven to be a bit of a pain.  Living and learning.

Edited by dcbc

Wife (no pics you pervy bastards) wants a new kitchen sink for Christmas and I'm happy to oblige.  Who would you normally hire to remove and replace a (likely) undermount kitchen sink?  I'm also looking to see if there's any room to expand the cutout (hence hiring it out).

Second question...where would you go to shop for the one bowl sinks?  Just your standard big box?
Hire a counter top guy so you don't fuck your existing countertops. It requires special polishing pads and precision. And a plumber if you aren't up for correcting the new drain.

Big boxes have fairly limited selection. Check out Build.com or in person at Fergusons.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I clicked on this thread specifically to say how stupid this is.  Why would anyone want the disposal on the tiny side?

fish-called-wanda-kevin-kline.gif

It made sense at the time.  Why do I need a big sink to throw crap in the disposal?  I need a big sink to soak and scrub.  Once it's scrubbed, whatever I pour out easily can be dumped in the small sink disposal.  I think I just want it on my right or in the center (for a 3 part sink) because either I'm right handed or to satisfy my OCD. 

I think a better decision would be never to have gotten something with a small side in the first place.  Or maybe something 60/40ish would have been better. 

Edited by dcbc

We renovated our kitchen last year after having a substantial water loss. We had a builder-grade metal/aluminum/whatever divided sink. It was the same size on both sides and was utterly useless for washing any large items. We replaced with a same-size white ceramic (I guess) sink that is full and I love it. We tried to get the same sink with a 1/3-2/3 divided (barrier didn't go all the way to the top) but it was no longer carried by Kohler. Basically, if you go divided get one that has one side larger than the other.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:25 PM, Spur08 said:

Wife (no pics you pervy bastards) wants a new kitchen sink for Christmas and I'm happy to oblige.  Who would you normally hire to remove and replace a (likely) undermount kitchen sink?  I'm also looking to see if there's any room to expand the cutout (hence hiring it out).

Second question...where would you go to shop for the one bowl sinks?  Just your standard big box?

Our previous house had one large sink but in the new we did a remodel (2 years ago) with a 67/33 split sink with a low dividing wall and it's far superior/convenient. I've had italian clay sinks, stainless, and porcelain, and currently a composite material and it's also my favorite sink material. The low dividing wall makes cleaning large pots or pans much easier, and the disposal on the small side helps keep it all clean.

My recollection may be wrong but I believe using our plumber's name at Hughes Supply got us a discount. Ours was a full remodel so we were using a plumber anyway. I'd recommend getting (design) advice from Hughes or Ferguson or whatever is nearby. The "pro versions" of the faucets and stuff they get are better than what you'll find at the big box stores.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:19 AM, immamac said:

2 dishwashers with one for plates and stuff and the other for pans pots and large serving dishes would be the fucking bees knees. 

I can't say enough great things about having 2, even in a modest kitchen footprint.

Edited by Chopper

If I had 2 dishwashers, I'd miss out on things like the wife loading the dishwasher and not running it because another glass or two would fit.  Then the next day with a sink full of dirty dishes opening the dishwasher only find a dishwasher full of dirty dishes.  Moments like that build character.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

On 11/30/2023 at 9:45 AM, dcbc said:

Ha!  I swapped the Gaggia Classic for a Brera, and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for a larger split of deep sinks.  The disposal is on the small side of our sink.  That part doesn't bother me.  But scrubbing pots and pans on that side because the other side is on soak or drying rack duty has proven to be a bit of a pain.  Living and learning.

I'm considering getting a rack with drain pad and spout to deal with this.  Our sink has the same setup as yours and it's a PITA to clean pots and pans when SWMBO has a bunch of dishes sitting in the rack in the big part of the sink.  Would much rather use the big bowl to do a proper wash then have to do it in the little one (splashes everywhere and can't submerge big stuff).

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm considering getting a rack with drain pad and spout to deal with this.  Our sink has the same setup as yours and it's a PITA to clean pots and pans when SWMBO has a bunch of dishes sitting in the rack in the big part of the sink.  Would much rather use the big bowl to do a proper wash then have to do it in the little one (splashes everywhere and can't submerge big stuff).

Countertop space is a valuable commodity though.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, Brisketexan said:

Only downside is that you actually have to move food scraps towards the drain with a sponge or spray because the sink is so large, but it's not a hassle that bothers us.

Like some kind of farm peasant? No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to this thread, I'm looking at sinks online.  What's with the low divider sinks?  Seems like it would be awesome in that it would prevent the unnecessary soaking of dishes by others, but useless that one day of the year I want to defrost the Thanksgiving turkey in cold water.  I guess I could use a bucket.  But when the divider is that low, why do I want a divider at all?

Yorkshire+33%22+L+x+19.7%22+W+Double+Bas

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Thanks to this thread, I'm looking at sinks online.  What's with the low divider sinks?  Seems like it would be awesome in that it would prevent the unnecessary soaking of dishes by others, but useless that one day of the year I want to defrost the Thanksgiving turkey in cold water.  I guess I could use a bucket.  But when the divider is that low, why do I want a divider at all?

I don't know what's with the non-symmetrical shape of your example but I find a divider helpful because the disposal side is going to be the dirtiest part of your sink. I find the smaller area of the disposal side to be convenient, that's why I prefer the 70/30 split or whatever the exact number is. We don't soak a lot of stuff in our house but what we do soak (stock pot is the most common example for us) the water goes inside the vessel and not inside the sink. The divider's main function is probably to keep the larger side of the sink clean of the debris you dump down the disposal side. A low divider is convenient to rest things on while you're stuck scrubbing it without splashing much outside the sink area. Also the low divider is non-obtrusive so if you have an open kitchen you don't really notice the sink - it doesn't compete with your countertop or faucet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I don't know what's with the non-symmetrical shape of your example but I find a divider helpful because the disposal side is going to be the dirtiest part of your sink. I find the smaller area of the disposal side to be convenient, that's why I prefer the 70/30 split or whatever the exact number is. We don't soak a lot of stuff in our house but what we do soak (stock pot is the most common example for us) the water goes inside the vessel and not inside the sink. The divider's main function is probably to keep the larger side of the sink clean of the debris you dump down the disposal side. A low divider is convenient to rest things on while you're stuck scrubbing it without splashing much outside the sink area. Also the low divider is non-obtrusive so if you have an open kitchen you don't really notice the sink - it doesn't compete with your countertop or faucet. 

That makes sense.  Thanks. 

On 12/1/2023 at 10:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

it was the perfect size to hold and clean an entire cabrito. That’s just handy.

I can't argue with this but I am continually very thankful to have an amazing butcher just a few blocks away.

edit - this is basically what we have. Made by Blanco, they call it a composite granite. The divider is 1.75" high, I'm certain you could carve a cabrito if so desired. Extremely easy to keep clean, doesn't scuff or scratch, rounded corners, and withstands hot pots. They have non-divided options too if that's your thing...we have one of the pantry sized sinks too. Our main sink is on a large island and open to the LR so we value zero clutter and a sink that doesn't announce itself.

image.png.65f6b3710b61c894c477c9e443460d79.png

image.thumb.png.35465c5c7a014a053d16cda21f341cd8.png

Edited by Chopper

The worst though, are the trends in lots of western europe. You could have the biggest penthouse apartment with a large modern kitchen….and the sink is this shallow circular thing nestled next to a wall (oven or fridge cabinet) and barely fits a dinner plate. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Kitchen and appliance trends from Europe are generally stupid. Always have been. Always pushing to mininalization, pain, dysfunction. They are exercises in self-flagellation. Oh you’re having to go to the market every day? Now you have to go every meal.

Same shit on the fridge. Big house, bit kitchen….fucking tiny fridge. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Kitchen and appliance trends from Europe are generally stupid. Always have been. Always pushing to mininalization, pain, dysfunction. They are exercises in self-flagellation. Oh you’re having to go to the market every day? Now you have to go every meal.

I remember when the "fancy bathroom" design trend of "salad bowl sitting on top of the counter" sinks hit the US -- probably at least 10-15 years ago.  Oh, how delightful, a smaller-than-usual sink, sitting on top of the counter so now water and gunk can get shoved right up to the bottom of the mount, giving me more counterspace that has to be cleaned while simultaneously being utterly useless.

153933921300131.png

Fuck.

That.

Shit.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

• 2 weeks later...
I can't argue with this but I am continually very thankful to have an amazing butcher just a few blocks away.
edit - this is basically what we have. Made by Blanco, they call it a composite granite. The divider is 1.75" high, I'm certain you could carve a cabrito if so desired. Extremely easy to keep clean, doesn't scuff or scratch, rounded corners, and withstands hot pots. They have non-divided options too if that's your thing...we have one of the pantry sized sinks too. Our main sink is on a large island and open to the LR so we value zero clutter and a sink that doesn't announce itself.
image.png.65f6b3710b61c894c477c9e443460d79.png
image.thumb.png.35465c5c7a014a053d16cda21f341cd8.png

This is the exact sink we're looking at buying, but maybe a different color. We have white granite with black/silver tones. Any feedback/ragrets on the sink?

Swapping out faucet too since we're back there, so doing some research on that now

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:

This is the exact sink we're looking at buying, but maybe a different color. We have white granite with black/silver tones. Any feedback/ragrets on the sink?

Swapping out faucet too since we're back there, so doing some research on that now

tldr no ragrets, go with as dark a color as you can talk yourself into.

The woman in the design shop at Hughes Supply talked my wife into the black color because she said previous clients have been unhappy about constant clean-up required for lighter colors. My wife's inclination was to go with a color that matched our countertop but she was talked out of it based on practicality and the designer's assurance that an under-mount black sink would be extremely unobtrusive. When seated you don't see the sink, you see the quartz surround. When standing nearby you certainly see the sink but it always looks clean and the color doesn't look out of place at all; it basically disappears to the eye's focus because most kitchens have a ton of distracting stuff, whether it's lighting, the gas cooktop, coffee makers, or design touches. For reference, our countertops are a caesarstone cloudburst described as a "Cream-Based Concrete with Subtle Pure White Movement Quartz." We also have cream white wall-mounted and base cabinets. We went with a black faucet with brass accents (handle and sprayer) to play up other elements in the kitchen like the black pulls on the cabinet doors and to provide contrast.

Happened across this photo while looking for other sink examples. The black works for me even in this extremely sedate kitchen where there's nothing on the countertops to distract...while knowing the focus is going right to sink which it never would in real life. 

image.thumb.png.573c7541eff32e3b1201346727383190.png

• Like 1

@Spur08 looking closer at the photo I notice the sink is probably 80/20, we have more a 60/40. You can see from the previous pics what a big difference the low divider makes versus the full height. Some here like having a huge basin. I think, having moved from a house where we had a spiffy italian clay, white, large single basin, that a 60/40 split with a low divider is best of both worlds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Just put in a restaurant size three section sink with a disposal on each. Stainless steel. You can put a whole deer in it or a 100 pound gar.

Now we're talking.

Last week, we were in New Mexico in a building that was an OLD house.  Still had the original laundry sink from probably the 1920s (I remember seeing this in some homes in mexico when I was a kid) -- something like this:

24-l-x-19-w-drop-in-laundry-sink.jpg

That's just practical, man.  I'm all about practical.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1