2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  DISD

2.  Not actually in north Dallas.  

Looked them up on Google Maps based on this.   Only 3.5 miles from Highland Park High.  Just looking at some of the street views, it looks like some of the area is being taken over by the Hipsters with new Town homes and Loft style apartments.  

59 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Looked them up on Google Maps based on this.   Only 3.5 miles from Highland Park High.  Just looking at some of the street views, it looks like some of the area is being taken over by the Hipsters with new Town homes and Loft style apartments.  

Are you me? I did the exact same thing. It’s a small, old (but cool looking) school building in the middle of a bunch of posh condos and apartments. I guess most of their students don’t live all that close to the school because the immediate area seems nice. 

Side note, I shudder at the sheer amount of time in my life I’ve wasted on google maps. The street view function is my #1 boredom activity. I could spend hours on there. I mean how could you not want to virtually drive around a tiny village in bumfuck Belarus if you knew it was an option? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Are you me? I did the exact same thing. It’s a small, old (but cool looking) school building in the middle of a bunch of posh condos and apartments. I guess most of their students don’t live all that close to the school because the immediate area seems nice. 

Side note, I shudder at the sheer amount of time in my life I’ve wasted on google maps. The street view function is my #1 boredom activity. I could spend hours on there. I mean how could you not want to virtually drive around a tiny village in bumfuck Belarus if you knew it was an option? 

Lmao!   Google street view is awesome. I think I have virtually driven the whole country of Mexico and most of Europe.  It is weird how Germany is not mapped out on Street view.  

Yea the North Dallas High building looks like it could have been in the some of the more memorable (and not so memorable) movies from the 80s.   Thinking of Back to the Future, The Principal, Three O’Clock High, etc.   

On 11/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, Beau Vine said:

And they'll lose 87-0.

I was off by a TD.  

Argyle 79 North Dallas 0

Also, 

Canyon 16 Hirschi 0

Lampasas 61 Uvalde 14 

Navasota 72 Austin Achieve 7

Navarro 31 Cuero 28

@Helobius SPECIAL!!!  Raymondville 48 Devine 47

Wall 20 Boyd 14

Center 31 Waco Connally 30 in the closest thing I see to an upset

Actually, Woodville (4-seed) beat Coldspring-Oakhurst (1-seed) in 3A, but Woodville was 7-3 and in a 3-way tie for 2nd and C-O doesn't have a Barbay coaching them any more, so this isn't that surprising to me.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was off by a TD.  

Argyle 79 North Dallas 0

Also, 

Canyon 16 Hirschi 0

Lampasas 61 Uvalde 14 

Navasota 72 Austin Achieve 7

Navarro 31 Cuero 28

@Helobius SPECIAL!!!  Raymondville 48 Devine 47

Wall 20 Boyd 14

Center 31 Waco Connally 30 in the closest thing I see to an upset

Actually, Woodville (4-seed) beat Coldspring-Oakhurst (1-seed) in 3A, but Woodville was 7-3 and in a 3-way tie for 2nd and C-O doesn't have a Barbay coaching them any more, so this isn't that surprising to me.

Wow, didn’t see that coming. That was Raymondville’s first game in over a month. They were down 21-0 at one point but Armendarez scored 6 TDs to carry them to a W. How good is Navarro this year? Good enough to stop the ZaRaivion show?

Armendarez has scored 12 of Raymondville’s 13 TDs this year. That coach really needs to start spreading the ball around to the other explosive playmakers the Bearkats have on offense. 

Edited by Helobious

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Wow, didn’t see that coming. That was Raymondville’s first game in over a month. They were down 21-0 at one point but Armendarez scored 6 TDs to carry them to a W. How good is Navarro this year? Good enough to stop the ZaRaivion show?

Navarro's like Navarro always is, but maybe not as good.  However, they're a lot better than Devine.  

WImberley's also not as good and is decimated by injuries.  Whoever wins R4 will be epically routed in the state semis.  

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Where-to-find-Texas-commits-in-action-this-weekend-154585656/ 

Where to find Texas commits in action this weekend

• Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders: The Raiders (6-0) didn't slow last week taking down The Colony with another blowout win.  Ryan is on bye this week and will return next week against Frisco Heritage.
  • Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem: The Knights (4-1) won in a forefit against Thomas Jefferson last week.  Kimball is slated to be back on the field this week against Dallas Spruce at Henry Stadium on Friday at 7:30.
  • Kennedale safety JD Coffey: The Wildcats (8-0) finished off the regular season undefeated with a win against Fort Worth Castlebury.  Kennedale starts playoff action this week hosting Brownwood at Wildcat Stadium on Friday at 7:30 PM.
  • Port Arthur Memorial DL Jordon Thomas and CB Jaylon Guilbeau: Memorial (6-0) scored another win to keep themselves undefeated.  The Titans will take the field again this week to face Baytown Lee at Memorial Stadium on Friday at 7 PM.
  • New Caney EDGE Derrick Harris Jr: Harris sustained a season-ending injury and will miss the rest of his senior year.
  • Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell: Martin (6-1) kept rolling with a win over Bowie last week.  The Warriors will have a bye week and return the week after to face Grand Prairie High School.
  • New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton WR Casey Cain: The Eagles (4-3) were defeated last week in an overtime matchup.  Easton looks to bounce back this week against Lusher on Saturday at 2:30 PM.
  • Katy Taylor OL Hayden Conner: The Mustangs (6-1) had no issues dispatching of Katy Cinco Ranch last week.  Taylor has a big test this week against Katy at Legacy Stadium on Thursday at 7 PM.
  • Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis: Monarch (2-0) stayed perfect with a blowout over Oakland Park (Fla.) Northeast.  The Knights are back in action this week against Coral Springs on Friday at 7 PM.
  • Hallettsville RB Jonathon Brooks: The Brahmas (7-2) finished the season with a big win over Hitchcock last week.  Hallettsville will play its first playoff game against Little River Academy at Memorial Stadium in Bastrop on Saturday at 2 PM.
  • Everman ATH Juan Davis: Everman (4-3) kept it going with a huge win over Cleburne.  The Bulldogs are back on the field this week against Burleson at Burleson Stadium on Thursday at 7 PM.
  • Houston Strake Jesuit OL Max Merril: Strake Jesuit (2-4) got back in the win column with a victory over Alief Taylor last week.  The Crusaders will host Alvin this week at Crusader Stadium on Friday at 7 PM.
  • Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek TE Gunnar Helm: The Bruins (5-0) rolled Arapahoe last week to stay undefeated.  Cherry Creek will face Centennial (Colo.) Eagle Crest at Legacy Stadium on Saturday at 1 PM.

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

Armendarez has scored 12 of Raymondville’s 13 TDs this year. That coach really needs to start spreading the ball around to the other explosive playmakers the Bearkats have on offense. 

@HelobiousHarlingen vs Weslaco on YouTube if y'all care to watch some Valley football. You can tell they haven't played very many games as the playbooks are limited and play is sloppy at times. Very good defense from both sides though.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

@HelobiousHarlingen vs Weslaco on YouTube if y'all care to watch some Valley football. You can tell they haven't played very many games as the playbooks are limited and play is sloppy at times. Very good defense from both sides though.

Harlingen wins 13-10 in a very very sloppy game. Lots of holding calls on both offenses. 3 or 4 turnovers forced by Weslaco that they couldn't capitalize on.

3 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Harlingen wins 13-10 in a very very sloppy game. Lots of holding calls on both offenses. 3 or 4 turnovers forced by Weslaco that they couldn't capitalize on.

Yeah that was a shitfest. It was 4 TOs by the cards. That huge KR return by Quilantan for us was the difference maker at the end. Your QB #6 is a baller, smart, elusive, and has a good arm from what I saw. Should’ve let him air it out more. RB #21 Hernandez is a dog too, decisive & tough runner.

Pretty good quality stream put on by WISD. My little cousin is in the Panther band and I saw her a few times haha.

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah that was a shitfest. It was 4 TOs by the cards. That huge KR return by Quilantan for us was the difference maker at the end. Your QB #6 is a baller, smart, elusive, and has a good arm from what I saw. Should’ve let him air it out more. RB #21 Hernandez is a dog too, decisive & tough runner.

Pretty good quality stream put on by WISD. My little cousin is in the Panther band and I saw her a few times haha.

Our defense flies to the ball and played pretty well. I agree, I think offense is too reliant on the run game. A few more hitches, screens, or deep shots vs man coverage might take a defender or two out of the box and make way for more running room. QB run game has been a staple of our offense for a few years now, but need to do things from the playcalling side to help that out.

Haha yea, I feel like our media department has been leading the way in the RGV for some time. Streaming production is great. During non COVID years, they even do a pre and post game show on Facebook Live! Play by play guys need a little work, but they're ok lol

Two big upsets in 4aD2

China SPring 45, #4 Jasper 19  Jasper was 8-1, lost to Carthage by 18, Carthage's closest game

Nevada Community 28 #10 Glen Rose 25 in another big upset

Canyon Lake 48-27 over LaVernia is another upset in 4AD1.

FuckArtBriles 51-43 over #9 Gladewater in 3AD1

East Bernard was somehow #4 in 3AD2 before losing that gawdawful 2OT shitfest.

non-playoffs...

Lubbock Coronado 45 Amarillo 13 Coronado is 7-0 and has not had a close game.

SA Johnson 42 Madison 7  Johnson still undefeated with Reagan up next.  I remember when Madison was really good every year.  WTH happened?

Duncanville 28 Cedar Hill 14   

Shadow Creek 20 Pearland 6

Allen 56 Guyer 38 and it wasn't that close.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

SA Johnson 42 Madison 7  Johnson still undefeated with Reagan up next.  I remember when Madison was really good every year.  WTH happened?

Jim Streety left and the program hasn’t been the same since, coinciding with the school/area itself nosediving.

Just now, blacklab said:

Not really an upset. Canyon Lake is good, only team to challenge Lampasas this year, took them to the wire. Probably the second or third best team in the region

Canyon Lake lost to 3A Jourdanton and 3A Blanco.  The Lampasas game was nice, but you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Not really an upset. Canyon Lake is good, only team to challenge Lampasas this year, took them to the wire. Probably the second or third best team in the region

Jesus what a bad take. It’s like you’ve never listened to even one of Beau’s Region 4 4A-D1 weekly breakdown podcasts. Educate yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

— Waco High fell to Mansfield, 37-13, Friday night in a game halted with 4:45 left in the fourth quarter when a Waco High School football player, who was back in Waco and not in attendance for the game, was found to have tested positive for COVID-19 virus, causing the officials to call the game after meeting with both coaches.

After a brief 10-minute discussion, the official held up the football in the air, signifying that the game was over and both teams and the officials hurried off the field.

The Lions fell to 1-4 overall, 0-2 in District 11-6A. The Tigers improved to 3-3, 2-1.

Waco High School principal James Stewart, Jr. called Waco officials in the fourth quarter at Vernon Newsom Stadium here to alert them of the positive test for the unnamed player. Waco coaches then alerted the officials, which led to the early ending.

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Jim Streety left and the program hasn’t been the same since, coinciding with the school/area itself nosediving.

Very true,  but to Madison's credit they won the district title in '18 and iirc in  '19 due to primarily a  weak 286A.

Also,  on their 3rd coach in 4 years.   Mark Smith (Manziel's coach at Tivy) came from Judson after only 1 year at Judson (conflict with board) and stayed only 1 year at Madison (pursue other interests).   Then John Campbell stayed only  1 year due to reportedly having an affair with the principal.   Seems they have a good one now in Blaine Pederson who came from Johnson.    But as you allude,  the talent pool is not great.

Is John Campbell still at Edinburg Vela  ?    Heard he had a DWI.    Seems to be a playa' but a successful high school football coach. 

Edited by torre

1 minute ago, torre said:

Very true,  but to Madison's credit they won the district title in '18 and '19 due to primarily a  weak 286A.

Also,  on their 3rd coach in 4 years.   Mark Smith (Manziel's coach at Tivy) came from Judson after only 1 year at Judson (conflict with board) and stayed only 1 year at Madison (pursue other interests).   Then John Campbell stayed only  1 year due to reportedly having an affair with the principal.   Seems they have a good one now in Blaine Pederson who came from Johnson.    But as you allude,  the talent pool is not great.

Is John Campbell still at Edinburg Vela  ?    Heard he had a DWI.    Seems to be a playa' but a successful high school football coach. 

Madison still has and will probably always have good athletes coming through, it’s just Streety was better at keeping them focused. But yes the pool has dipped a bit.  Campbell is still at Vela, he’s really gone all out on recruiting players from other schools to “move” there. Recruiting and shitbaggery aside he has proven himself to be a good corch over the years.

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Two big upsets in 4aD2

China SPring 45, #4 Jasper 19  Jasper was 8-1, lost to Carthage by 18, Carthage's closest game

Nevada Community 28 #10 Glen Rose 25 in another big upset

Canyon Lake 48-27 over LaVernia is another upset in 4AD1.

FuckArtBriles 51-43 over #9 Gladewater in 3AD1

East Bernard was somehow #4 in 3AD2 before losing that gawdawful 2OT shitfest.

non-playoffs...

Lubbock Coronado 45 Amarillo 13 Coronado is 7-0 and has not had a close game.

Duncanville 28 Cedar Hill 14   

Shadow Creek 20 Pearland 6

Allen 56 Guyer 38 and it wasn't that close. 

the China Spring score over Jasper was my biggest surprise.  The Cougars have plenty of tradition, but damn...   wasn't expecting that one.

Edited by slorch

the China Spring score over Jasper was my biggest surprise.  The Cougars have plenty of tradition, but damn...   wasn't expecting that one.
I wat watched a lot of it. CS has a Robert Newhouse-looking RB named Abdullah or something like that who Jasper just could not tackle. He had to have over 200 yards.

Unfortunately for CS, they get WOS next.

Thoughts from Watching two Allen games Atascocita and Guyer:

They get up for the big games. They take off weeks against interior opponents. 

They beat the breaks off Atascocita.

The beat the breaks off Guyer. Allen dominated more than the end score showed. Back up QB was in after half, and Allen rolled back ups in after that. 

I flipped back and forth between the CHill vs Dunc game. So many dudes on Dunc's defense. I would be willing to bet most go on to play D1 football. Unreal speed. Dunc is a QB away from winning state with this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Thoughts from Watching two Allen games Atascocita and Guyer:

They get up for the big games. They take off weeks against interior opponents. 

They beat the breaks off Atascocita.

The beat the breaks off Guyer. Allen dominated more than the end score showed. Back up QB was in after half, and Allen rolled back ups in after that. 

I flipped back and forth between the CHill vs Dunc game. So many dudes on Dunc's defense. I would be willing to bet most go on to play D1 football. Unreal speed. Dunc is a QB away from winning state with this team. 

* brakes

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

More drama in the Bronson McClelland/Katy High situation with a surprise appearance by Quannel X

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/11/19/katy-high-school-football-star-kicked-off-team-now-suing-to-be-reinstated/

I know there’s always a handful of students where it’s the case, but it’s got to feel lame to be 19 and still in high school. Especially in the fall. I turned 19 like two days after graduation, couldn’t have been more perfect.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I know there’s always a handful of students where it’s the case, but it’s got to feel lame to be 19 and still in high school. Especially in the fall. I turned 19 like two days after graduation, couldn’t have been more perfect.

Same here. I have a late May birthday and graduated just a day or 2 before turning 19. Glad I was held back a grade so I could be the oldest in class instead of one of the youngest