2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

OK, state thoughts... I normally order these in order of confidence from most confident to least confident, but I think this year it's going from "absolutely sure" to "very sure."  If I don't go 6-for-6 on these, I'll be very surprised, because this a slate of massive mismatches.

1.  2AD2: Mart over Windthorst.  Mart has won state 3 years in a row and this team is as good as their predecessors.  They've outscored their opponents 643-141 in 12 games; their lowest point total on the season was 32 against 3AD1 Whitney.  They have back Roddrell Freeman at "quarterback," AKA snap-it-to-the-biggest-fastest-guy-we-have-and-let-him-do-whatever-the-hell-he wants.  He has started every game of his four years at Mart and is looking for his 4th ring;  Quan who?  NOTE: This game is 7pm on WEDNESDAY.

2.  4AD2: Carthage over Gilmer.  Carthage's defense is the difference here and maybe the best we'll see this week.  They've allowed 95 points in 12 games; the most they've given up in a game is 18.  They held Wimberley without a first down in the first half last week.  The Bulldogs have already beaten Gilmer this season 42-14 in September.  They've also won 70 of their last 71 games and won state last year in 4AD1.  Noon Friday

3.  3AD2: Canadian over Franklin.  I mentioned upthread that Canadian is a mini version of Carthage.  They run a remarkably efficient balanced offense for such a small school, with a QB with 3500 yards passing this season, and a 3-year starter at RB (Hufstadtler) who has totaled over 1800 rushing yards this season.  They've scored 815 points in 14 games.  Only loss = 28-21 to 4AD1 Iowa Park, which went 9-3. My only hesitation here is that Franklin runs the Wing-T and runs it really well, but the Wildcats completely shut down Gunter's more sophisticated offshoot of the Wing T last week, so I bet they get it figured out by kickoff.  3PM Thursday

4.  4AD1: Argyle over Lindale.  Seems hard to believe that Argyle is only 1-4 in state championship games, but 5 previous trips gives them an advantage here.  So does the schedule they played this season, with two wins each over Paris and LaVega, and wins over Pleasant Grove, Melissa, and Celina.  Their offense, QB'ed by the coach's kid, is just ruthlessly efficient thanks to a great OL, and their defense is solid enough.  Lindale had never won region until this season, and they were lucky as hell to win last week.  Their losses are both by 7 points to Midlothian Heritage and Gilmer.  They do have the best player on the field in RB Jordan Jenkins, but unless he runs for 9 TDs like he did against Needville, he won't be enough, and Argyle is not Needville.  Random fact to make you feel old: Todd Van Poppel's kid a soph DE (#44) for Argyle.  7PM Friday

5.  2AD1: Shiner over Post.  Both of these teams play the way great 2A teams play, with bruising running attacks and physical defenses.  Post's problem is that Shiner plays it better.  The Comanches came off an emotional revenge win over Shiner and completely kicked undefeated Timpson's ass for 48 solid minutes last week. They just absolutely look like a team on a mission, which makes it easy to discount that Post made it to Jerryworld last season, losing to Refugio.  Enjoy watching the Brooks brothers (cousins of Johnathon) for Shiner: Junior Doug is a 260-pound RB/DT who will be the biggest guy on the field, and soph WR/RB Dalton will be the fastest guy on the field.  11AM Thursday

6.  3AD1:  Hallettsville over Jim Ned.  There are reasons to pick Jim Ned here, something I couldn't say about any of the previous five underdogs.  Jim Ned actually beat Hallettsville back in early October, 24-21.  The Indians also beat Brock, who most everyone considered the best team in the bracket.  They have a very good defense and a fairly balanced offense, led by RB Xavier Wishert, who has over 2000 yards.  The Indians' D held Brooks to 208 yards on 20 carries (Wishert had 216), and held the Brahmas' team to 277 total yards in that first matchup.  But Hallettsville has improved a lot since that game, and last week the JN defense was completely gassed and held on by a thread against MV, so I'm betting that the Brahmas will also wear them down and get the win.  7PM Thursday

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

correct your third sentence in Post-Shiner bit.

Love the write up though.

Thanks, but you can't fucking edit anything in this "upgrade."

The Comanches came off an emotional revenge win over Refugio and completely kicked undefeated Timpson's ass for 48 solid minutes last week.

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, state thoughts... I normally order these in order of confidence from most confident to least confident, but I think this year it's going from "absolutely sure" to "very sure."  If I don't go 6-for-6 on these, I'll be very surprised, because this a slate of massive mismatches.

1.  2AD2: Mart over Windthorst.  Mart has won state 3 years in a row and this team is as good as their predecessors.  They've outscored their opponents 643-141 in 12 games; their lowest point total on the season was 32 against 3AD1 Whitney.  They have back Roddrell Freeman at "quarterback," AKA snap-it-to-the-biggest-fastest-guy-we-have-and-let-him-do-whatever-the-hell-he wants.  He has started every game of his four years at Mart and is looking for his 4th ring;  Quan who?  NOTE: This game is 7pm on WEDNESDAY.

2.  4AD2: Carthage over Gilmer.  Carthage's defense is the difference here and maybe the best we'll see this week.  They've allowed 95 points in 12 games; the most they've given up in a game is 18.  They held Wimberley without a first down in the first half last week.  The Bulldogs have already beaten Gilmer this season 42-14 in September.  They've also won 70 of their last 71 games and won state last year in 4AD1.  Noon Friday

3.  3AD2: Canadian over Franklin.  I mentioned upthread that Canadian is a mini version of Carthage.  They run a remarkably efficient balanced offense for such a small school, with a QB with 3500 yards passing this season, and a 3-year starter at RB (Hufstadtler) who has totaled over 1800 rushing yards this season.  They've scored 815 points in 14 games.  Only loss = 28-21 to 4AD1 Iowa Park, which went 9-3. My only hesitation here is that Franklin runs the Wing-T and runs it really well, but the Wildcats completely shut down Gunter's more sophisticated offshoot of the Wing T last week, so I bet they get it figured out by kickoff.  3PM Thursday

4.  4AD1: Argyle over Lindale.  Seems hard to believe that Argyle is only 1-4 in state championship games, but 5 previous trips gives them an advantage here.  So does the schedule they played this season, with two wins each over Paris and LaVega, and wins over Pleasant Grove, Melissa, and Celina.  Their offense, QB'ed by the coach's kid, is just ruthlessly efficient thanks to a great OL, and their defense is solid enough.  Lindale had never won region until this season, and they were lucky as hell to win last week.  Their losses are both by 7 points to Midlothian Heritage and Gilmer.  They do have the best player on the field in RB Jordan Jenkins, but unless he runs for 9 TDs like he did against Needville, he won't be enough, and Argyle is not Needville.  Random fact to make you feel old: Todd Van Poppel's kid a soph DE (#44) for Argyle.  7PM Friday

5.  2AD1: Shiner over Post.  Both of these teams play the way great 2A teams play, with bruising running attacks and physical defenses.  Post's problem is that Shiner plays it better.  The Comanches came off an emotional revenge win over Shiner and completely kicked undefeated Timpson's ass for 48 solid minutes last week. They just absolutely look like a team on a mission, which makes it easy to discount that Post made it to Jerryworld last season, losing to Refugio.  Enjoy watching the Brooks brothers (cousins of Johnathon) for Shiner: Junior Doug is a 260-pound RB/DT who will be the biggest guy on the field, and soph WR/RB Dalton will be the fastest guy on the field.  11AM Thursday

6.  3AD1:  Hallettsville over Jim Ned.  There are reasons to pick Jim Ned here, something I couldn't say about any of the previous five underdogs.  Jim Ned actually beat Hallettsville back in early October, 24-21.  The Indians also beat Brock, who most everyone considered the best team in the bracket.  They have a very good defense and a fairly balanced offense, led by RB Xavier Wishert, who has over 2000 yards.  The Indians' D held Brooks to 208 yards on 20 carries (Wishert had 216), and held the Brahmas' team to 277 total yards in that first matchup.  But Hallettsville has improved a lot since that game, and last week the JN defense was completely gassed and held on by a thread against MV, so I'm betting that the Brahmas will also wear them down and get the win.  7PM Thursday

Your HS playoff writeups are my favorite thing going on here.  Which either says something about how in-depth your analysis is or how shitty the rest of this football season has been.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I agree with all of these picks, however Something crazy always happens at small school State, and an underdog usually shocks the state and pulls off a big win. Who will it be?

18 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

.Great stuff as always.  Which one has a chance to be an upset if you could pick one? It's looks like you would probably pick Jim Ned over Halletsville?

I think I'd swing for Lindale over Argyle.   

36 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think I'd swing for Lindale over Argyle.   

Of the 12 teams, Lindale has the worst defense and Argyle has by far the best O-line.  I've seen Argyle about 5 times this year, and they're so clinical about how they cut up teams that they're almost boring.  I can't picture that not happening again.  If Lindale wins this, it will be something like 63-59.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Of the 12 teams, Lindale has the worst defense and Argyle has by far the best O-line.  I've seen Argyle about 5 times this year, and they're so clinical about how they cut up teams that they're almost boring.  I can't picture that not happening again.  If Lindale wins this, it will be something like 63-59.

I'm probably putting too much into Lindale's performance against LBJ last weekend.  Really alot of that game was on LBJ thinking they bagged it and zoned out in the second half.  This on top of their leading tackler being ejected.

Whoops, forgot to look at 5A-6A.

There are a couple of Hollywood-type matchups that will be routs -- Trinity-Midland Lee and Permian-SLC -- but these are what look like the best games:

Cy-Fair @ Tompkins -- Everyone in Houston usually points to Cy-Fair when they talk defense, but Tompkins has only allowed 78 points in 9 games.  

SA Brennan-Vela -- Sounds crazy, but the winner of this one might be the favorite in that shitty region.

Cedar Park- Richmond Foster -- CP has put up huge numbers this season on offense, and Foster looks down compared to previous years

Klein Cain-Westfield -- maybe the most evenly-matched game on this list.

Rockwall-Desoto -- A lot of points will be scored in this one.  Rockwall's only loss was to HP; Desoto's loss was to CH.

North Shore-Dawson -- These teams are combined 21-0, but no one's going to be shocked if NS blows it out, including me, as I watched some of Dawson's game last week and wasn't real impressed.  

Westlake-Smithson Valley -- Westlake will shut them down, but the MILF-viewing will be top notch.

Timberview-Ennis -- T'view is 10-1 with a loss to Aledo, but Ennis might be even better than Aledo.

Lancaster-Longview -- Lancaster is undefeated and has outscored opponents 587-50, but that says more about their schedule; don't be surprised to see the Lobos win this.  

Azle@Lubbock Coronado -- Staring to closely at the scoreboard may result in blindness.  Trust me on this.  Winner will score 70+.

• Hook 'Em 2

SV has faced LT or Westlake in the first 2 rounds like 5 or 6 straight years or something ridiculous. That’s just unfair.

Vela has the offensive firepower to match Brennan believe it or not. OT Ronnie Garza committed to UTSA, QB AJ Sotelo is a playmaker committed to UIW baseball, Pablo Rivera is a top 3 valley RB, and Justin Vega and Carlos Tamez are top 10 valley WRs easily, especially Vega.Their o-line is big for a high school team, shortest guy is 6-1. They’re so blessed that all that football talent happened to live in their little attendance zone in Edinburg. Should be a great game.

On 12/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, Beau Vine said:

As usual, I know nothing.   THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

It already looks like a cemetery in front of that high school. Glad they get another marker to put there!

Haha.  Coach Chris Tackett said, "Their names are going on the monument.."

Edited by slorch

On 12/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, Beau Vine said:

Whoops, forgot to look at 5A-6A.

There are a couple of Hollywood-type matchups that will be routs -- Trinity-Midland Lee and Permian-SLC -- but these are what look like the best games:

Cy-Fair @ Tompkins -- Everyone in Houston usually points to Cy-Fair when they talk defense, but Tompkins has only allowed 78 points in 9 games.  

SA Brennan-Vela -- Sounds crazy, but the winner of this one might be the favorite in that shitty region.

Cedar Park- Richmond Foster -- CP has put up huge numbers this season on offense, and Foster looks down compared to previous years

Klein Cain-Westfield -- maybe the most evenly-matched game on this list.

Rockwall-Desoto -- A lot of points will be scored in this one.  Rockwall's only loss was to HP; Desoto's loss was to CH.

North Shore-Dawson -- These teams are combined 21-0, but no one's going to be shocked if NS blows it out, including me, as I watched some of Dawson's game last week and wasn't real impressed.  

Westlake-Smithson Valley -- Westlake will shut them down, but the MILF-viewing will be top notch.

Timberview-Ennis -- T'view is 10-1 with a loss to Aledo, but Ennis might be even better than Aledo.

Lancaster-Longview -- Lancaster is undefeated and has outscored opponents 587-50, but that says more about their schedule; don't be surprised to see the Lobos win this.  

Azle@Lubbock Coronado -- Staring to closely at the scoreboard may result in blindness.  Trust me on this.  Winner will score 70+.

The Rockwall/Desoto game should be great - I'll take Desoto.

Katy Tompkins is a team I'm really interested in.  Undefeated, and St Milroe and Tunmise took down Big Red (Katy)....but should they win vs Cy Fair, they're staring at North Shore next.  

Had to bust out google maps for Windthorst. Thought it was up in the panhandle somewhere since I’d never really heard of it, but nope it’s up by Wichita Falls. So awesome that they won it all, Mart is pretty legendary at that level. Great accomplishment to say the least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I started watching late off the dvr and just finished.  That was a hell of a game and a great finish.  That penalty really saved the kicker and the coach.

I'm not sure what the end man on the line for Mart was doing on the 2pt conversion.  By alignment he should have been in good shape to keep contain but he wasn't even looking at the ball on the snap and so he didn't get off the ball at all...and when he did move he just stood straight up to let the lead blocker (#71 in as a blocking back) pop him in the mouth and knock him on his ass.

Did y'all know the Windthorst QB and RB are cousins?  And one of them tore his acl three times?

6 hours ago, WBT said:

I started watching late off the dvr and just finished.  That was a hell of a game and a great finish.  That penalty really saved the kicker and the coach.

I'm not sure what the end man on the line for Mart was doing on the 2pt conversion.  By alignment he should have been in good shape to keep contain but he wasn't even looking at the ball on the snap and so he didn't get off the ball at all...and when he did move he just stood straight up to let the lead blocker (#71 in as a blocking back) pop him in the mouth and knock him on his ass.

Did y'all know the Windthorst QB and RB are cousins?  And one of them tore his acl three times?

The bullshit penalty of the game was the defensive pass interference bailout call on Mart's  last possession deep into Trojan territory,  when it was like 2nd and 15... and the defender was simply standing his grounding waiting for the ball to get there.  Terrible, terrible call where it felt like the ref just wanted to make a play, instead of letting the players decide it.

On the PAT, more than one player jumped offsides on defense.  It was a deliberate hard count.   Tackett gets credit for the discipline to execute it...and the ensuing 2PAT conversion.  We can debate if he ever should have tried for the 1PAT to begin with, and I felt they should have gone for 2, from the get-go. At that point, he may have felt like they had worn down Mart and could duke it out in OT.  I'm glad we didn't get to find out.  Tackett also gets hella credit for having the best team against the best player.  Windthorst didn't realize it was a damned show.  They thought it was a fight...

It was cool that Harding got DPoG for his 2 fumble recoveries...as he is the one who would have had the hellish memory of missing that kick forever.  In the Wellington game, Windthorst had zero turnovers, but E. Belcher had a fumble that was also recovered my none other than Harding, That was a HUGE play in that 7-0 Trojan win.  It's one aspect I LOVE about Texas High School ball, is that a smaller guy like that can kick ass and make plays with grit and hustle.

Edited by slorch

49 minutes ago, slorch said:

The bullshit penalty of the game was the defensive pass interference bailout call on Mart's  last possession deep into Trojan territory,  when it was like 2nd and 15... and the defender was simply standing his grounding waiting for the ball to get there.  Terrible, terrible call where it felt like the ref just wanted to make a play, instead of letting the players decide it.

On the PAT, more than one player jumped offsides on defense.  It was a deliberate hard count.   Tackett gets credit for the discipline to execute it...and the ensuing 2PAT conversion.  We can debate if he ever should have tried for the 1PAT to begin with, and I felt they should have gone for 2, from the get-go. At that point, he may have felt like they had worn down Mart and could duke it out in OT.  I'm glad we didn't get to find out.  Tackett also gets hella credit for having the best team against the best player.  Windthorst didn't realize it was a damned show.  They thought it was a fight...

It was cool that Harding got DPoG for his 2 fumble recoveries...as he is the one who would have had the hellish memory of missing that kick forever.  In the Wellington game, Windthorst had zero turnovers, but E. Belcher had a fumble that was also recovered my none other than Harding, That was a HUGE play in that 7-0 Trojan win.  It's one aspect I LOVE about Texas High School ball, is that a smaller guy like that can kick ass and make plays with grit and hustle.

All true and screw Mart. Ahhhh...

54 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Brooks brothers up next.  

#1 is a big boy for 2A.  It's funny how often the biggest guy on the field at the lower levels ends up playing RB.  It seems like he would kill on this level at tackle, either driving straight ahead or pulling.

16 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

The Rockwall/Desoto game should be great - I'll take Desoto.

Katy Tompkins is a team I'm really interested in.  Undefeated, and St Milroe and Tunmise took down Big Red (Katy)....but should they win vs Cy Fair, they're staring at North Shore next.  

Tunmise has not played at all this season