2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Is it really $30/month? That’s rather excessive. 

There's a link somewhere upthread or on texassports that you can order the whole weekend tournament for $14.99 which is all you really need since nobody wants FloSports for a whole month.  But even that seems excessive.  I'm hoping an a la carte option presents itself next week where you can get just 1 or 2 Longhorn games (about all I'll have time for on a given weekend) for $3/each.  Otherwise, we need a thread going next week of bars around Austin who have that FloSports package.  Shouldn't be too much of a Covid-19 risk to watch that Monday late lunch battle with Ole Miss at a sports bar.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

There's a link somewhere upthread or on texassports that you can order the whole weekend tournament for $14.99 which is all you really need since nobody wants FloSports for a whole month.  But even that seems excessive.  I'm hoping an a la carte option presents itself next week where you can get just 1 or 2 Longhorn games (about all I'll have time for on a given weekend) for $3/each.  Otherwise, we need a thread going next week of bars around Austin who have that FloSports package.  Shouldn't be too much of a Covid-19 risk to watch that Monday late lunch battle with Ole Miss at a sports bar.

That's what I thought as well. I signed up for an account, but the only options seem to be $30/month or $150/year.  They advertise the latter as "$12.49/month."

• Like 1

It looks like the weather gods and ERCOT have conspired against me.  I still don’t have any power or water.  I had to tell my daughter that It didn’t look like we would be going to Arlington to see the Horns play this weekend.  The tournament site said the were sold out of tournament passes so if any of you horn fans in the area are interested I could transfer my two passes to you.

Arlington update and AAS interview with Zubia (excerpts).

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1362438069400580103 (can't get to embed)

How ready is this team to get back on the field?

I think that this team is probably the most prepared team that I've been on since I've been here. This team is full of maturity, it's full of dedication, it's just full of hard work. I think that's also a credit to our coaching staff and our staff in general. We've done a really good job with the COVID-19 world that we're living in right now. I think it's a really focused, a really driven and a really motivated team to win. I'm very excited to see what shows out (in the season opener).

How is balancing your master's program for marketing with baseball?

I get my master's in marketing from McCombs so it's the best of both worlds for me. You get to play at the highest level in sports and you get some of the best academics in the country so you can't beat that.

Of the new guys on the team or the young guys who had smaller roles last season, who is going to take that next step?

One of the guys that really sticks out to me is (second-year catcher) Silas Ardoin. The kid's work ethic is unmatched. He's always looking at ways to get better and he's always asking the older guys questions. He's always asking DJ about how to get better. He's always hanging out with DJ on what he does catching-wise and then he's always asking guys what they're looking for hitting-wise. He's taken a step in a very mature direction this year. It's gonna be really exciting to see him get to play a lot this year.

Then another guy, I mean he's an incoming guy, is Mike (Antico). Mike's a whole new player. I'm really glad we got him and no one else did because he's gonna be really, really helpful to our team this year. I think that he is someone that can really wreak havoc on a lot of teams this year.

What are this team's strengths?

We're going to be able to score in multiple ways on offense. I think that's one of the biggest things for us, is that we have speed, we've always had speed, but we have power this year, we have guys who can handle the bat really well...   Our pitching is gonna be really good, too. We've got a lot of guys that can come out of pen. We've got a lot of guys who can start,,,

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/02/18/texas-longhorns-baseball-zach-zubia-readies-2021-season/6794217002/

Edited by torre

Campus has been closed the entire week. Not sure how to expect our guys to play without having been able to enter university facilities, especially with an abbreviated run-up to the season.

Edit: McComas is essentially saying the same thing in this twitter thread:

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Campus has been closed the entire week. Not sure how to expect our guys to play without having been able to enter university facilities, especially with an abbreviated run-up to the season.

As mentioned in the thread, seems like a recipe for a lot of elbow injuries for the pitching staff. I am very surprised this hasn’t been canceled. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I want to see us play but not in these conditions. Just back out. 

Yeah, I had Friday/Saturday tickets but we decided to bail. This week’s shit show just did us in and then the schedule change made it all less attractive. Given the lack of practice for the team I’m with Dustin - just cancel this thing. I don’t want our guys, especially the pitchers, getting hurt. I’m bitterly disappointed- was really looking forward to this weekend. Pretty much made the last couple months bearable. Fuck. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Keeping my expectations low for this weekend.

Same. Though I will be eager to see how 2b plays out and the bullpen. I don’t expect the pen to be lights out but if they can show flashes of being able to compete then I’ll be happy. There’s just not a lot you can want out of this series because of the situation the team has had to deal with here recently and with COVID. 

39 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Same. Though I will be eager to see how 2b plays out and the bullpen. I don’t expect the pen to be lights out but if they can show flashes of being able to compete then I’ll be happy. There’s just not a lot you can want out of this series because of the situation the team has had to deal with here recently and with COVID. 

How the bullpen is managed this weekend will be interesting considering we open the season with 7 games in 8 days. Should get a good look at a lot of the newcomers.

18 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

How the bullpen is managed this weekend will be interesting considering we open the season with 7 games in 8 days. Should get a good look at a lot of the newcomers.

Indeed. I also agree with McComas on how we will not know what this team will look like until about a month in the season. I think this viewpoint is mostly based on the bullpen and playing 7 games will not only allow Pierce to get guys desperately needed work but also give him a feel of who his guys are. 

17 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah, I had Friday/Saturday tickets but we decided to bail. This week’s shit show just did us in and then the schedule change made it all less attractive. Given the lack of practice for the team I’m with Dustin - just cancel this thing. I don’t want our guys, especially the pitchers, getting hurt. I’m bitterly disappointed- was really looking forward to this weekend. Pretty much made the last couple months bearable. Fuck. 

More $11 beers for me 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Can't bring myself to pay for the streams but it'll be good to hear Craig Way calling baseball again.

I just look at it as part of the season ticket I would have purchased, but unable to.

My reading comprehension skills informed me that flo sports baseball is $12.95 a month and cancel at any time.

Think the magic number here with streaming service is round $360.00/yr. plus tax.  So simple math says if the $12.49/mo plan is selected then billing is $150.00 one-time annual charge up front with savings to customer of $210.00/year.  But if service is only option to watch Horns baseball then it may be worth the money...Hook'em! 

So who all is still going. Anyone getting together after? I might stick around for all 3 games each day. Just excited to see some damn good baseball. The last time our team played was 2 huge wins against tech in a midweek series in Biloxi that looked to fully turn the season around.

Can't wait to see us take on ya'll in 12 hours. Wish we could get a home and away series with yall.

#HailState - Go Bulldogs

Really glad it looks like this tourny is going to happen. I hate the "just cancel" attitude espoused by a few on this site. If guys couldn't get in normal prep, put them on a pitch count. Sure, it might be a competitive disadvantage but that's part of sports. Canceling games every time there's adversity is contrary to the spirit of competition.

I'm really looking forward to watching Madden pitch tomorrow. He's got the tools to be special this year.

(I would support canceling if we couldn't physically get the team to the game safely, but it doesn't look like that's an issue)

• Hook 'Em 2

I just finished turning the water back on at my house and there were no leaks even though I was without power for 80 hours.  I signed up for flosports and I’m ready for some baseball.  I feel like there’s a little ray of sunshine beaming down from the heavens.  I’m pumped and starting to regret being a pussy and giving away my tourny passes