2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

Don't want to bring the bad juju from basketball to here. I'm happy with the way we've bounced back from the thrashings we took in Arlington. I'm concerned that we're still missing what it takes to become a perennial contender like we expect to be. Not going to complain while we're in the middle of a win streak, though.

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think Tulowitzki has made a significant difference with this team in terms of work ethic and confidence.  I am not looking forward to his inevitable step up to a head coaching position somewhere.  Enjoy having him while it lasts. 

I think talent and evaluation has improved some, too, whether that's Tulo or something else.  I have the sense that each new batch of new guys is better than the last.

Of course, in the past, new guys have flashed and then sort of regressed, especially at the plate.  I sense that's not happening this year.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think talent and evaluation has improved some, too, whether that's Tulo or something else.  I have the sense that each new batch of new guys is better than the last.

Of course, in the past, new guys have flashed and then sort of regressed, especially at the plate.  I sense that's not happening this year.

Yeah. Faltine, Williams and Silas are quite the upgrade from Joe Baker, Mason Hibbeler and Michael McCann. Piece has done a good job filling glaring holes in the roster 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

You forgot something. Fuck Baylor in the mother fuckin face. Baptist fuckwad “university” should be shut down and Waco needs to be nuked 

Visit Waco: The Brownsville of Central Texas!

And yeah, fuck Rapelor.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Wonder if he'll only go 3 innings, then come back on Sunday if feasible. I'm starting to think we need a change on Sundays.

Followed the Sunday game,  but unable to watch.

Any opinion if any of the 3WP’s could have been blocked ?

Kubichek has 7WP’s and 5HBP in 21.1 innings.  

26 minutes ago, torre said:

I think Ardoin could have stopped one of them, but not the other two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, torre said:

What @zlavydra said. And we came out flat as fuck. Just kinda went through the motions. Hopefully that was a wake up call for em and they stay focused 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Before the Disch, there was Clark Field. My dad was on the taxi squad there, playing for Bibb Falk.a7103c863d69a3d80da1ea9232bdea8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to see many games there and it was fantastic. At some point they changed that left field rock wall area so a player could run up there without having to mountain climb.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to show photos of Clark Field to first time guests to my seats at Disch-Falk Field to just show them how baseball has changed on the 40 acres over the years.  And they look at it like, "Yeah, love those olde-time stadiums with the natural quirks and oddities.  When was this 1930's, 1940's?" 

Then I point out the LBJ School.  "Well, if they named it after the second President Johnson, not the first one."  

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

OU has a closer who throws strikes at 100 mph.  If they can get through 7 and 2/3 with a lead, they win.  

Well shit. If we’re losing in the 7th, just call the game. Closers never blow saves or anything 

11 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Got to see many games there and it was fantastic. At some point they changed that left field rock wall area so a player could run up there without having to mountain climb.

spacer.png

Though my Dad had taken us to many UT football games, we didn't go to many baseball games in my younger years due to us also learning and playing the game in the spring and summer.

In 1974, Dad took my older brother and I to the the last "official" games to be played at Clark Field. Not only  our first UT baseball games, but It was a double header on Saturday against aggy for the SWC championship. Texas needed one of two as the aggies had won Friday night. The first game was close, with many balls hit up and onto billy goat hill, but the Horns prevailed 4-3 if my memory serves me correct. Texas also won the latter and after the game fans were allowed onto the field for any souvenirs as the field would later be razed and used as a parking lot and the hall for the music program. Somewhere in my Dad's home, we still have pieces of the limestone from center field. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized that Texas limestone was not really "kelly" green.

Coolest part of the day was in between games, when Gus was being mobbed by the crowd and being congratulated by everyone for winning the conference, he looked up, saw my dad and said "Hi Tom". When my dad was a senior at South San, Gus had been his Coach. Not a bad day for a 12 yr old.

• Hook 'Em 5

Now that single game tickets are being sold for baseball, has anyone tried showing up an hour before the game and buying tickets?  I know it said online they sell an hour before the game.  How early did you show up?  Were the tickets really expensive or about their usual price?  Any other advice?

9 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Now that single game tickets are being sold for baseball, has anyone tried showing up an hour before the game and buying tickets?  I know it said online they sell an hour before the game.  How early did you show up?  Were the tickets really expensive or about their usual price?  Any other advice?

We did the Tuesday game on the 16th.  Showed up about 1:15 prior and there were about 30 people in line.  Once they opened the windows they also started passing around QR code to order online.  Made no sense to have a line but then they said if nothing online just wait to get to the window.  I'm pretty sure they just sold to anybody there. Covid appears to be over at the Disch for non season ticket holders.  The ushers just removed the zip ties from seats that were sold and somebody sat down right next to us.

• Hook 'Em 1