Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

3 hours ago, Esque said:

Saw this as well. I don’t know the first thing about foil (how does this differ from fencing?), but the last match was great and as you said, the reaction of her and her coach was a great moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is fencing. There are three sword types in fencing: foil, epee, and saber. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Lulz, huge clusterfuck at the triathlon start.  A boat was still right by the dock blocking half of the field when they blew the starting horn.  The guys on the other end of the dock dove in and started and it took awhile for other boats to come cut them off and bring them back.

40 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lulz, huge clusterfuck at the triathlon start.  A boat was still right by the dock blocking half of the field when they blew the starting horn.  The guys on the other end of the dock dove in and started and it took awhile for other boats to come cut them off and bring them back.

Video:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never really learned how to swim growing up cause I had 3 different sets of ear tubes.

Anyway, I figure I'll just swim 50 meters at a time and hold onto the wall if I get tired.  Right before I jumped in, the MC said the pool's deepest point is 6 feet.  Cool.  New strategy.  Swim my ass off; stand up when fatigued.  I get 250 meters in.  Exhausted.  I go to stand up and sink 12 feet down.  Had to be pulled in with a donut.  Wife was so proud.

Get on my bike and head up a few hills.  Ended up throwing up in someone's yard because of all the water I'd swallowed.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I never really learned how to swim growing up cause I had 3 different sets of ear tubes.

Anyway, I figure I'll just swim 50 meters at a time and hold onto the wall if I get tired.  Right before I jumped in, the MC said the pool's deepest point is 6 feet.  Cool.  New strategy.  Swim my ass off; stand up when fatigued.  I get 250 meters in.  Exhausted.  I go to stand up and sink 12 feet down.  Had to be pulled in with a donut.  Wife was so proud.

Get on my bike and head up a few hills.  Ended up throwing up in someone's yard because of all the water I'd swallowed.  Good times.

It gets better lol.  After I stopped bodybuilding I transitioned to Triathlon I’ve done about 15 now. I have a 70.3 in North Carolina soon abs my first full next year 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It gets better lol.  After I stopped bodybuilding I transitioned to Triathlon I’ve done about 15 now. I have a 70.3 in North Carolina soon abs my first full next year 

Nice.  I've done several since my first foray.  I'm still a really poor swimmer, very average runner, but really good on a bike.  My last dauthlon - run, bike, run - I finished near the bottom in both runs, but 6th out of 200+ on the bike.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Nice.  I've done several since my first foray.  I'm still a really poor swimmer, very average runner, but really good on a bike.  My last dauthlon - run, bike, run - I finished near the bottom in both runs, but 6th out of 200+ on the bike.

Yeah I swim like a rock no body fat sucks and at 218lbs still I’ll never be a fast runner. I do it to stay young in shape and I love the challenge. I can haul ass on the bike though lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This USA/Japan softball game on USA is odd. The only relevance is winner will be home in the Gold medal game. 

Yeah and I guess this is why we rolled out our 3rd pitcher.  I didn't realize the softball was going to be over already tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.  What's the hurry?  Why not use the round robin results to seed 4 teams and then play it out?  Or if you want to go right to the medal round, make it best 2 of 3?

Just now, WBT said:

Yeah and I guess this is why we rolled out our 3rd pitcher.  I didn't realize the softball was going to be over already tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.  What's the hurry?  Why not use the round robin results to seed 4 teams and then play it out?  Or if you want to go right to the medal round, make it best 2 of 3?

I assume they need the fucking baseball stadium. That’s why this setup is so amateur hour. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I assume they need the fucking baseball stadium. That’s why this setup is so amateur hour. 

Well, that is a good point.  But for fuck's sake, there's a pro softball league in Japan and they aren't allowing fans.  Seems like they could be playing somewhere else.  Amateur hour for sure.

Cat in for the 6th.  I guess that probably means Abbott will get the start in the gold medal game?

Or maybe not.  Cat faced two batters and then the starter came back in.

Edited by WBT

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jon Rahm too. How is that even possible? He’s had more than enough time to get fully vaccinated since he was forced to drop out of the Memorial Tournament after testing positive.

he had had his shot before the memorial.  he's been vaccinated for a while.

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Got a link? I don’t think that’s correct. That’s the sort of thing that would’ve been reported. 

it ain't hard

https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-olympics-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-united-states-olympic-team-4c9135fca5ffa23ba815b2e0576980c7

Edit: and yeah you think that would be reported along with his positive but here we are and you know why...

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

it ain't hard

https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-olympics-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-united-states-olympic-team-4c9135fca5ffa23ba815b2e0576980c7

Edit: and yeah you think that would be reported along with his positive but here we are and you know why...

I got my second shot of Pfizer on May 21. I wasn’t fully vaccinated until June 4. According to the article you linked, Rahm wasn’t fully vaccinated at the Memorial. Whether he actually received a shot before then or just said he did, I can’t say. I’ve been told elsewhere (on Surly) that he got his J&J shot after the Memorial. I’d like to see his vaccination card.

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I got my second shot of Pfizer on May 21. I wasn’t fully vaccinated until June 4. According to the article you linked, Rahm wasn’t fully vaccinated at the Memorial. Whether he actually received a shot before then or just said he did, I can’t say. I’ve been told elsewhere (on Surly) that he got his J&J shot after the Memorial. I’d like to see his vaccination card.

yes I said he got the shot before the memorial.  he's certainly fully vaccinated by now.  people are getting covid even though they are vaccinated.