2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

On the Ewing thing...when did  he last play pro ball, 20 years ago...so it’s quite possible some people working security were watching Spongebob when he retired.  

I agree with the sentiment that a giant like him probably looks like he belongs there, but even my 40 year old ass wouldn’t have necessarily gone ‘Hi Mr Ewing..:can I call you Patrick?...go right ahead sir, I totally know you built this place when I was 17 years old and worried about college, because all superstar athletes are required to be treated with deference and...oh man never thought I’d get to see you in person to ask this...remember that time you blocked a shot in this very building?’

Hell on the other end of the spectrum I may even be like ‘is that Patrick Ewing?  Not sure, I haven’t seen him on TV in half my life, so I’m going to check credentials to be sure I don’t want to get fired during a pandemic’.  

Don’t whine at a press conference about it dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

^ Yeah, I'd think Clyde, Willis, Bradley might have a thing or two to say about "built" this place. 

If Iona were to make it in, how fun would it be to see them matched up with UL in the 1st Rd?  What other hypo-matchups would be interesting?  

Okie St / Illinois?  

Buffalo / Bama? 

Apparently Turgeon doesn't like Juwan talking during the game. 

Rumor was he told Juwan not to hang any banners because they would just get taken down, but Turgeon denied that. I would have taken credit for it, it is a good burn. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Apparently Turgeon doesn't like Juwan talking during the game. 

Rumor was he told Juwan not to hang any banners because they would just get taken down, but Turgeon denied that. 

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I am going to be fucking livid if the decision to have conference tournaments ends up ruining the NCAA tournament.

Prepare yourself.  Ruined might be a bit strong, but we'll likely see a forfeit or a team with only 5-6 players get beat by an inferior squad. I'll just be happy if I get to watch some March Madness. It's the COVID tournament with no Duke or Kentucky, possibly no Kansas or Virginia.  Shame for Gonzaga if they finally put it all together and have to have an asterisk. But I suspect not one single Spokanite will care. I sure wouldn't. The only truly ruinous thing that could happen would be if the FF got derailed. I don't care if it's Purdue, Rutgers, Liberty and Clemson.  Just give me my one shining moment.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

They still have Phil Martelli on the sidelines - no big deal in my opinion. 

Incidentally, I suspect that he's not getting nearly enough credit for the success of this team. 

He is a damn good basketball coach. I give him credit that he was able to be an asst. coach Howard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Florida's Omar Payne with a left forearm, spin, right elbow knockdown of TN's Fulkerson.  Punk needs to be ineligible for the rest of the season.

Yeah pretty bush league, but the rest of the season ?  Maybe if the season is one more game.  Hopefully his coach deals with him.

The A-10 did it right. Held the tourney last week, at 2 venues in Richmond Va. and the final game is this Sunday in Dayton, OH. followed by a bus ride to Indiana the next day for bubble encasement by both teams probably.  

The tournaments should have all been held a whole week before selection Sunday to give them time to deal with the shit that's happening now.