Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

19 minutes ago, In10se said:

Receivers have almost zero shot to make the team. OL zero shot unless they can beat out the swing tackle. CBs and RBs almost zero shot. QB zero shot with the White pick. TE, safety, fullback/Hback maybe

every one of them has a decent shot depending on summer and training camp.  it’s like you forget that keeping a few undrafted players every year isn’t a thing.  OL can’t make it unless they beat out swing tackle?  we’ll keep more than 6 OL.  

jihad played well enough as a rookie, especially considering he went from wide receiver to d-line in college.  he was still learning the nuances of the position.  he’s a 6’6” monster and very athletic for his size.  he sat out most of last year because of the foot injury but that’s supposed to be fully healed.  marinelli is going to turn this kid into a player.  I think it’s a great trade.  

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

every one of them has a decent shot depending on summer and training camp.  it’s like you forget that keeping a few undrafted players every year isn’t a thing.  OL can’t make it unless they beat out swing tackle?  we’ll keep more than 6 OL.  

They keep 7 usually, 5 starters and a backup guard and a swing tackle. Maybe 8 if they also want a dedicated backup center/extra guard. Out of thise spots the swing tackle seems most likely up for grabs from a UFA since we really didnt get one in the draft. 

To get a receiver spot going to have to beat out all the guys who were drafted plus the 6th rounder from last year they liked and kept. Very tall order. 

Tell me who you drop on the roster for these UFA? Their drafting recently has gotten better than the absolute dog shit it was for years and years so they dont have as much room for UFA as before. Thank god. 

QB (3) Dak, Rush, White

RB (5) Zeke, R Smith, Scarbrough, Austin, Olawale

WR (6) Hurns, T Will, Beasley, Gallup, Thompson, Wilson

TE (4) Swaim, Jarwin, Rico, Scultz

OL (8) T Smith, Connor, Frederick, Martin, La'el, Fleming, M Martin, Looney

DE (6) Lawrence, Crawford, Kony, Taco, Gregory, Armstrong

DT (4) Irving, Collins, Price, Ward

LB (5) Lee, J Smith, LVE, Wilson, Lanning

CB (5) Lewis, Awuzie, Jones, Brown, Benwiki

S (4) Thomas, Frazier, Woods, Heath

ST (3) Bailey, Jones, Ladoucer

Edited by cmontexas

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

A team that drafts for back-ups fails. This has been a frustrating draft watching the Cowboys get a thousand WR’s, a QB they didn’t need and a backup RB. You find backups in the open market and on practice squads, not in the draft. 

Either every team drafts 7 starters a year, or you're just repeating something you thought sounded insightful after the Cowboys 2009 draft.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

don’t sleep on noah brown.  that draft pick wilson is no sure thing to beat him out. 

Hopefully with Dez and Witten gone, this offense can transform. No longer do we rely so much on big clunkers as they were. And Dez was piss poor at route running. I hope all the WRs can now get a fair shot to show what they have to offer. Dez/Witten was too big apart of this offense to develop anyone else. I'd love to see what Noah Brown can do.

I am more excited about younger guys who actually can run crisp routes and good hands. Dak is a QB who succeeds with a quick, timing based offense. He's not going to win throwing jump balls to Dez or airing it out down field constantly. Dak needs WRs who know where they are going and being where he needs them to be. Dez was never that for him. 

I think with adding Connor and allowing Collins to play where he naturally needs to be, this OL will be much better. Zeke for a full season behind this OL will be just as good if not better than 2016. And Dak will be back to looking like he did as a rookie of the year.

22 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

A team that drafts for back-ups fails. This has been a frustrating draft watching the Cowboys get a thousand WR’s, a QB they didn’t need and a backup RB. You find backups in the open market and on practice squads, not in the draft. 

yeah, teams should only draft starters with every pick, might as well make that all pros with every pick.  i know the patriots felt stupid drafting garoppolo as a backup to brady.

I don't know what Dunbar could do that Austin can't do. That's the role they were looking to fill. With that being said, we need to stop fucking around and just throw Zeke the ball more out of the backfield. Just off the top of my head, the play against the Steelers his rookie year that went for 80 yards, and the play against the 49ers last year that went for 50+. Both dump offs that he just took the distance. 

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't know what Dunbar could do that Austin can't do. That's the role they were looking to fill. With that being said, we need to stop fucking around and just throw Zeke the ball more out of the backfield. Just off the top of my head, the play against the Steelers his rookie year that went for 80 yards, and the play against the 49ers last year that went for 50+. Both dump offs that he just took the distance. 

If Austin is active all year, he's going to make over triple what Dunbar cost us..... It's not what Dunbar does that Austin can't, it's Austin better be able to do much much more than Dunbar to justify the additional cost....

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If Austin is active all year, he's going to make over triple what Dunbar cost us..... It's not what Dunbar does that Austin can't, it's Austin better be able to do much much more than Dunbar to justify the additional cost....

Assume he will be the primary kick returner as well. 

1 hour ago, In10se said:

Everybody is going to love Austin until he starts putting the ball on the ground like he did a lot in LA and then he won't see the field. 

Aside from the fact that he was an average return man in all but one season, even disregarding the frequent fumbles. The return job was given to another player last year.

Edited by DougO

On 4/28/2018 at 3:47 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Skins beef up their interior by getting Payne and Settle. And we continue to just get backup players and have them start on ours. But hey, at least we got another TE that is a Swaim clone and tons more WRs. This draft should have been majority defense. Not all these WRs and a fucking QB. Go sign a vet to be the backup. This front office will never learn and will keep going in circles with this approach. Skimp out on the defense and you will continue to get gashed by good teams. See both Packers playoff losses. 

If we just followed the (cherry pick a random team) draft plan, we'd have so much more success. I wish we won more just like the Redskins.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article209223384.html

First and foremost, they understood there was no receiver in the draft who had No. 1 receiver traits of a Bryant, no matter when they drafted him.

But that was a direction they wanted to steer clear from in the first place, which was at the root of the decision to move away from Bryant, the team’s all-time leader in touchdown receptions.

Even the unexpected uncertainty surrounding the status of tight end Jason Witten, the team’s all-time leading receiver who is leaning toward retirement, left them undeterred.

“We said we weren’t going to have an elite 1 receiver,” Jones said. “We said we're going to have to do it by committee by numbers or by scheme. I think this draft represented that. We honored the fact that the top receiver wasn’t that. We drafted that way. Having a real clarity as to what we weren’t going to be helps you make those decisions. I think we are better because I think we had a great read on where we were. As we sort through Dez and the ‘what ifs’ on Witten and where we are in the offense line, I think we got more clarity."

The Cowboys wanted a stable of pass catchers who ran precise routes and were disciplined in their approach.

They found that Prescott is a quarterback who likes to go through his reads and throw to the open player rather than having to focus on getting the ball to one primary target.

As great as Bryant was, running precise routes and being where he was supposed to be on time were not his strong suits.

Hurns and Thompson do have those traits, and that’s what the Cowboys focused on when they evaluated the receivers in the draft. Gallup and Wilson check the boxes as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Austin being on the field doesn't kick Zeke off.  You can still have Zeke run those routes but it's probably best if we don't 100% rely on Zeke on every down.  

Go watch New Orleans and KC last year.  How they used Hill and Kamara is going to be the blueprint of how we are going to use Austin.  It creates huge matchup problems.

If Zeke and Austin are on the field at the same time, what kind of defense do you run?  If they go Nickel, shift to the empty set..  Zeke and/or Austin are being covered by a safety or a linebacker.  Or they can just run it against the nickel.  Having a RB that is a threat to the edge of the defense and can play WR causes a lot of problems.

Edited by Amobie

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, In10se said:

You cant be a difference maker if the coaches never play you. Honestly, Switzer could be garbage or he could be thr next great NE shifty receiver with a SB ring on his hand soon. We dont know because we never gave him a chance after blowing a mid round pick on him. 

Overall on draft a C+ grade. First two days got 3 guys who look like 2nd round talents so solid B+.  Today some redundancy and a really weird trade for Austin who is total garbage. The switzer trade a net neutral since both he and the incoming DT are complete unknowns. D+ grade for Day 3. 

Statements like these drive me crazy. You earn your chances. Typically there's a reason why guys are getting "a chance" on Sundays and its because of their performance in practice.

The fact that Dallas traded him away after just one year tells me they're considering it a failed pick, and I'm happy they proactively went out and got something for him instead of letting him waste away on the roster taking up a spot.

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Statements like these drive me crazy. You earn your chances. Typically there's a reason why guys are getting "a chance" on Sundays and its because of their performance in practice.

The fact that Dallas traded him away after just one year tells me they're considering it a failed pick, and I'm happy they proactively went out and got something for him instead of letting him waste away on the roster taking up a spot.

The guy was a rookie and the player ahead of him at slot receiver was having a horrendous season yet he was never replaced giving Switzer a chance to see what he can do with some consistent snaps. If you won't even see what your player can do when the guy ahead of him is shitting his pants all season then I don't consider that giving him a chance. 

The trade was fine because he's redundant now that they got Hearns who can play the slot as well. Just a dumb pick to begin with. 

They see what the player can do all week long.  We the fans are the only ones who don't know, and that's why fans make statements like that. But the coaches know. I'm telling you, no coaching staff in the NFL is going to give the kid a try if he isn't performing in practice.

The Switzer trade is pretty easy to understand.  His selection was heavily influenced by Rich Bisaccia, our ex Special Teams coach, who we allowed to go to the Raiders in the offseason.  After this, Switzer lost his biggest advocate in the facility and therefore we drafted over him.  I'll say after doing some research on Ward, Raiders fans are ecstatic to dump him.  They feel like they fleeced us, for taking on his contract alone (although I believe most of his guaranteed portion has already been paid).  I'm assuming Lett or the Old man think there's still potential there, but Ward has been a huge bust and the Raiders were happy to dump him and acquire a punt returner and WR5.

I read the Raiders drafted Ward about 3 rounds too early as well according to most draft experts. And hasn't did shit at all. I think we gave up on Switzer too early. Now with Witten/Dez gone, we could have tried to get him more involved along with others. Trade didn't make much sense at all unless they wanted to tell us they are trying to address the DT need.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I read the Raiders drafted Ward about 3 rounds too early as well according to most draft experts. And hasn't did shit at all. I think we gave up on Switzer too early. Now with Witten/Dez gone, we could have tried to get him more involved along with others. Trade didn't make much sense at all unless they wanted to tell us they are trying to address the DT need.

Injuries and moving him all over the line are the main problems he had to face.  Cowboys have seen him in the shared practices over the past couple years so the staff is familiar with him.

Based on what happened in the draft, it's a safe bet to assume they are going to be watching the June 1 cuts.

7 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Injuries and moving him all over the line are the main problems he had to face.  Cowboys have seen him in the shared practices over the past couple years so the staff is familiar with him.

Based on what happened in the draft, it's a safe bet to assume they are going to be watching the June 1 cuts.

So more injured players we want on this team?

27 minutes ago, TornACL said:

They see what the player can do all week long.  We the fans are the only ones who don't know, and that's why fans make statements like that. But the coaches know. I'm telling you, no coaching staff in the NFL is going to give the kid a try if he isn't performing in practice.

This isnt 1989 anymore. They have severe limitations on practice duration and intensity under the CBA and this is especially true during the season when you have basically nothing but glorified walkthroughs and 7 on 7 in shells and helmets. In this new era you have to see what a guy can do on the field in games before you give up on him. 

I think it's probably true Garrett and Linehan never wanted him and didn't like the pick on draft day and were set on it from the start.